Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2024 9:21:11 PM EDT
I've shot 250 rounds total. First 150 were through an FN 57 (got in trade). Sold it because I was "meh".

Got a deal on a Ruger 5.7 and got it because I had ammo. I've shot 100 through it.

After 250 rounds total, I just don't get it.

Was the 5.7 just a solution looking for a market?

Link Posted: 1/13/2024 9:28:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a threaded rock with a holosun. Every one that shoots it,love it. It didn't cost a lot and has no recoil. It's fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 9:34:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Cantshootstrate:
I've shot 250 rounds total. First 150 were through an FN 57 (got in trade). Sold it because I was "meh".

Got a deal on a Ruger 5.7 and got it because I had ammo. I've shot 100 through it.

After 250 rounds total, I just don't get it.

Was the 5.7 just a solution looking for a market?

View Quote

It was the last gasp of the NATO PDW program that had been stewing for a long time.
"Armor piercing " was the main claim to fame.
Then the Soviets went away...
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 9:44:13 PM EDT
[#3]
That makes sense.

.mil solution for a specific problem

Link Posted: 1/13/2024 10:22:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Reading up on the 2009 Fort Hood shooting will tell you all you need to know about the 5.7  After dispensing a high rate of wounds the shooter was taken out of the fight with a plain ol 9mm.

The closest I've come to buying one was a FN P90.  It was Kel-Tec level innovation but FN quality.  I said when they make that gun in any other caliber I'd get one.  20+ years later and I'm still waiting.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 7:57:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Own the PS90 & pistol both. Love them. Accurate, good bullet energy & flat shooting out to 100 yards with the pistol.

20rd mags for the pistol that's a flush fit, 50rd mags for the rifle. What's not to love?  
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 12:11:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tomac] [#6]
Petite spousal unit loved her PS90, we sold it some years ago.
Just picked up a Ruger LC Carbine in 5.7x28 for her to try as a replacement.
The 5.7 round isn't my first choice in a defensive cartridge, but it's a lot better than harsh language.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 10:04:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: xoldsmugglerx] [#7]
I have a PS90 and a five-seven.

The 5.7x28 is great caliber for a PDW. It gives rear echelon troops a lot better capability than a 9mm pistol without hindering portability with a full-size carbine or rifle. It's the same concept that created the M1 Carbine 50 years earlier..  

I honestly feel the 5.7x28 P90 is not nearly as good of a PDW as an HK MP7 though. The MP7 is an Uzi layout with the magazine in the grip. It can be carried in a leg holster similar to a pistol and then deployed into a mini carbine. The P90 on the other hand is typically carried slung like a carbine would be. So the P90 doesn't really have a huge advantage over something like a Mk18.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 12:14:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 8:24:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DogtownTom] [#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By K357Mag:
Reading up on the 2009 Fort Hood shooting will tell you all you need to know about the 5.7
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Reading up on the 2009 Fort Hood shooting will tell you all you need to know about the 5.7

Huh?
Unless you have autopsy reports, there isn't anything I've read about the Ft Hood shooting that shows the 5.7 as being better/worse than any other centerfire round.

The thirteen killed, twelve were shot COM, with one being shot in the head.

After dispensing a high rate of wounds

What does "high rate of wounds" mean? I'm genuinely curious.
Of the thirty two wounded, several were struck only in their extremities. That's not due to being 5.7, but marksmanship.

Ft Hood casualties

the shooter was taken out of the fight with a plain ol 9mm.

Irrelevant. But it took four rounds to do so.

The closest I've come to buying one was a FN P90.

Yup, the only one that interests me too.

I'm generally not interested because of the price of ammunition. I'm not being convinced the 5.7 out of a pistol is more effective than a 9mm handgun.

Link Posted: 1/15/2024 9:01:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:

What does "high rate of wounds" mean? I'm genuinely curious.

View Quote

In  the Virginia Tech shooting two years earlier there were 32 killed and 17 injured using a .22 and 9mm.  Or nearly twice as many killed than injured.  
The data for Ft. Hood I'm seeing says 13 killed and 32 injured or more than twice as many injured than killed when a 5.7 was used.  
Yes, there were many other factors that contributed to those numbers.  I concede the term "all you need to know" was over stated.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 9:04:23 PM EDT
[#11]

In  the Virginia Tech shooting two years earlier there were 32 killed and 17 injured using a .22 and 9mm.  Or nearly twice as many killed than injured.  
The data for Ft. Hood I'm seeing says 13 killed and 32 injured or more than twice as many injured than killed when a 5.7 was used.  
Yes, there were many other factors that contributed to those numbers.  I concede the term "all you need to know" was over stated.
View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 12:06:48 PM EDT
[#12]
If Glock made a 5.7, it would make more sense.  Assuming you lived in the hood and had easy access to a switch.
Add some type of Flux kit and you are on to something.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:09:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By panthermark:
If Glock made a 5.7, it would make more sense.  Assuming you lived in the hood and had easy access to a switch.
Add some type of Flux kit and you are on to something.
View Quote

Well, this thread just got easier to fap to!

5.7 fills a niche they didn't realize needed filling: People who can't handle recoil. You see, the ex had really bad carpal tunnel syndrome. After 3rnds of 9mm, her hands would go tingly and numb. After 5rnds, she had issues holding the gun. .22lr was what she decided she had to rely on. The 5.7 was a game changer for her. She was able to empty an entire magazine into a targets face at 50ft without any issues and it hits harder than a .22lr (FN 5.7 40gr Vmax - 268ftlbs vs CCI Velocitor .22lr 40gr -183 ftlbs...numbers are from the companies websites). To you and I, that doesnt seem like a whole lot of difference. The main thing it gave her? Confidence. She felt like she could take care of herself, if needed. That boost psychologically might be what she needs if she has to defend herself. I would carry a 5.7, if they had one small enough to conceal. But, as always...YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:24:54 AM EDT
[#14]
One of my favorite guns to shoot

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 4:19:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Frankly I wish I never sbr’d my ps90. Anemic round that I only keep around due to my 12yo who likes the low recoil and the cool look. Very expensive ammo for the decent stuff. Last time he shot it was about a 600.00 range day. Luckily I stacked green tip ss198lf deep years ago.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:08:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a PSA Rock I really like. I'm a firm believer in shoot what you like. I personally have no use for a .40 but no people you do
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:40:00 PM EDT
[#17]
I watched 100s of hours of YouTube videos (well, maybe 10s) about the 5.7. Everyone lauded its capabilities! Its a better 9mm! More rounds! Softer shooting! Longer range with a flat trajectory! What's not to like?!

So I schemed. I was going all in on 5.7. It would replace my primary HD SBR, my daily carry. I'd even add a PDW to my arsenal! There was no role it couldn't or wouldn't do. I even posted a thread  about it.

The other day I was at my LGS, meeting a guy about a thing. As I was leaving, I remembered they did gun rentals. Awesome! I thought. I'd rent a 5.7 and confirm my bias. As I was standing near the full auto rental side, I saw a CMMG Banshee and decided to rent that.

On the lane, I loaded the first of two 20 round mags. As I moved the selector switch from Safe to Semi, I watched my lane and then proceeded to fire a few rounds.
Wow! I stopped, put it back on safe and put the Banshee down. I checked the mags as well as the ammo box to make sure I was shooting 5.7. I thought they had maybe given me a Banshee in 5.56. Nope. Five-seveN. Hmmm. Not exactly soft shooting and certainly not less so than a 9mm PCC.
Finished up that mag and the 2nd mag firing bursts on auto. Not impressed with what everyone insisted was a very soft shooting round.

I changed my mind.

I'll probably still end up getting a Ruger LC Charger.

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:49:39 PM EDT
[#18]
My PS90 SBR has almost no recoil. Probably depends on the operating system… I think the round really shines out of the 10” barrel because it’s moving around 500 fps faster than out of a handgun IIRC with SS195 or SS198 which are basically all I shoot. So at CQB distances this translates to over 400 ft lbs of energy on target with no over penetration (means it’s all dumped into said target) which is not a bad thing. The wounding mechanism for these rounds is yawing because of the alloy core so this is how they can penetrate some soft armor but not more than 12” of soft tissue. I have an MP5 SBR and would pick the 90 over it probably for home defense. I’d definitely recommend the 90 to a female over the MP5. I’m not really a fan of the Ruger or CMMG stuff though… Just don’t like the form factor. I kinda like the S&W pistol though.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 6:36:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Actiondiver] [#19]
PS90 is a PDW that is near perfect for the personal defense roll when you might only have one hand available due to driving or carrying a child, on foot for a long time, otherwise working, etc & wanting/needing lots of rounds on tap before a reload.

Most ne'er-do-wells are not going to be pressing an attack as 50 rounds of this are on the way towards their face. I say face as it's so easy to shoot there's not much reason to miss at self-defense distance.

It is small, lightweight, & with a TROS mounted mini ACOG very easy to get hits out to 200.

It's so lightweight & minimal recoil my MIL who weights 105 & stricken with arthritis can easily handle it.

The ammo is so lightweight, 50 rounds is 10oz & only about 40% bigger than a box of 22LR.

IIRC the PS90 should be a 100,000 round gun too.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 7:03:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Had a PS90 & a Rock 5.7. Sold both & all the ammo. Sadly, not nearly as enjoyable as I wanted it to be
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:24:55 AM EDT
[#21]
I have sold 4 of my 5 5.7 pistols and plan on only keeping my LC Carbine, the wife can handle the LC carbine much easier than the AR and from a 16" barrel the round has a little more oomph.

I'm going to just stick to 9mm pistols and a 380 for pocket carry.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:24:22 AM EDT
[#22]
It fills a niche. If you need that niche filled then it’s great. I like the ps90 for its compactness and light recoil. My wife enjoys it and doesn’t enjoy other rifles so it makes a logical HD weapon for her. Ammunition capability varies quite a bit and barrel length plays a big factor in that. I am planning to SBR one of the PS90s and throw a can on it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:53:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I really want the LC carbine.  Just haven't done it yet.  It's hard for me to spend the money on a gun when I rarely get to shoot the ones I have.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:14:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:19:23 PM EDT
[#25]
I think the 5.7x28 and the .22 TCM would both be great in a mini sized bolt action rifle like the CZ 527 or Zastava M85 mini Mauser.

Neither does anything the .22 Hornet won’t do as well or very slightly better in a 20” rifle, but they are more modern rounds that are more available, and for less money. They would be awesome neighbor friendly short range (200-250 yards) Varmint rounds.

.22 TCM is about 1/4th the cost of .22 Hornet and 5.7x28 is about 1/3rd the cost.

In a handgun? Not so much. 5.7x28 offers great magazine capacity but .22 TCM is compatible with 9mm platforms.  

And along that 9mm compatibility line, I’d love to see an MP5 in .22 TCM.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top