Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 5:45:43 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
“Why take ye thought for raiment [clothing]? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin. And yet I say unto you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.”  

"Consider the lilies..."

One of my favorites.
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 5:46:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Isaiah 40:31
  31But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

Link Posted: 4/6/2005 5:49:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
  31But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

A great Scripture.
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 5:51:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Romans 8-
38 For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor messengers, nor sovereignties, nor the present, nor what is impending, nor powers,
39 nor height, nor depth, nor any other creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus, our Lord.

Link Posted: 4/6/2005 5:54:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Deut. 23-1...

Link Posted: 4/6/2005 5:54:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Jeremiah 29:13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 5:57:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A great Scripture.

The King James version of the Bible contains some of the most beautiful prose ever put into the English language IMHO.
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 5:59:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Exodus 23:27 -"I will send my fear before thee, and will destroy all the people to whom thou shalt

come, and I will make all thine enemies turn their backs unto thee."

Psalm 144 -"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to

fight: My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whome I

trust; who subdueth my people under me."

Psalm 6 - "Hear my voice, O God, in my prayer: preserve my life from fear of the enemy."
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 6:00:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A great Scripture.

The King James version of the Bible contains some of the most beautiful prose ever put into the English language IMHO.

I certainly agree with you.
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 6:03:19 PM EDT
[#10]
1 john  5:19

Psalms 83:18
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 6:07:43 PM EDT
[#11]
This is actually an edifying thread to read!!  GREAT prompt O.P.

John 1:1-3  ESV  "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  He was in the beginning with God.  All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made"

John 3:3  ESV "Jesus answered him, 'Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God."

Though I don't study the translation, this one I just memorized as part of the Crown Financial class that I am studying:

1Chron 29:11-12  TLB  "Everything in the heavens and earth are Yours, O Lord, and this is your kingdom.  We adore you as being in control of everything.  Riches and honor come from you alone, and you are ruler of all mankind.  Your hand controls power and might, and it is at your discretion that men are made great, and given strength."
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 6:13:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
1 john  5:19

And we know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in wickedness.

Psalms 83:18

That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth.
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 6:14:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 6:14:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

1Chron 29:11-12  TLB  "Everything in the heavens and earth are Yours, O Lord, and this is your kingdom.  We adore you as being in control of everything.  Riches and honor come from you alone, and you are ruler of all mankind.  Your hand controls power and might, and it is at your discretion that men are made great, and given strength."

What a wonderful Scripture!
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 6:15:20 PM EDT
[#15]
1 Peter 2:17

Honor all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor thy King.

This one is what I based my testimony on for my baptism:

John 1:17

For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ

Isaiah 6:8

Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, Here am I; send me
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 6:17:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Not mine, but the uncle that I was named after. He said that he kept repeating this during the Battle of the Bulge. He said that the shrapnel&bullets would hit his uniform and felt it like tugging on the cloth but not hit him. He said that he had a 'holey' uniform when that was over.

Psalm 91
1 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD , "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." Surely he will save you from the fowler's snare and from the deadly pestilence. He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.

5 You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day, nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday. A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you. You will only observe with your eyes and see the punishment of the wicked.

9 If you make the Most High your dwelling-even the LORD , who is my refuge- then no harm will befall you, no disaster will come near your tent. For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone. You will tread upon the lion and the cobra; you will trample the great lion and the serpent.

14 "Because he loves me," says the LORD , "I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. He will call upon me, and I will answer him;  I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. With long life will I satisfy him and show him my salvation."

RIP William Thomas Minchue

wganz

Link Posted: 4/6/2005 6:18:02 PM EDT
[#17]
ST. LUKE 17:21

Neither shall they say, Lo here! or lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 6:18:47 PM EDT
[#18]
[002.003]Who believe in the Unseen, are steadfast in prayer, and spend out of what We have provided for them;[002.004]And who believe in the Revelation sent to thee, and sent before thy time, and (in their hearts) have the assurance of the Hereafter.[002.005]They are on (true) guidance, from their Lord, and it is these who will prosper.

[002.041]And believe in what I reveal, confirming the revelation which is with you, and be not the first to reject Faith therein, nor sell My Signs for a small price; and fear Me, and Me alone.
[002.042] And cover not Truth with falsehood, nor conceal the Truth when ye know (what it is).
[002.043] And be steadfast in prayer; practise regular charity; and bow down your heads with those who bow down (in worship). [002.044] Do ye enjoin right conduct on the people, and forget (To practise it) yourselves, and yet ye study the Scripture? Will ye not understand?
[002.045]Nay, seek (Allah's) help with patient perseverance and prayer: It is indeed hard, except to those who bring a lowly spirit

[002.277]Those who believe, and do deeds of righteousness, and establish regular prayers and regular charity, will have their reward with their Lord: on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 6:20:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Ac:22:16: And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

Ro:6:4: Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Eph:4:5: One Lord, one faith, one baptism,

Col:2:12: Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

Yes, indeed, my favorites amongst a cornucopia of favorites....
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 6:26:25 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Isaiah 6:8  Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, Here am I; send me

A challenge for all of us.
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 6:27:52 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm an agnostic/athiest so I view the Bible a little differently than many, bits of good advice mainly and I do have a favorite one...

It's in Luke (22:36)

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Suprised it wasn't among the favorites of anyone else
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 6:28:52 PM EDT
[#22]
"But those that seek my soul, to destroy it, shall go into the lower parts of the earth.
They shall fall by the sword: they shall be a portion for jackals" - Psalm 63: 9-10

"When I shall whet my flashing sword, and my hand take hold in judgment; I will render vengeance to my enemies, and will reward those that hate me." - Deuteronomy 32:41

Here it is in Gaelic:

"Nuair a bheirim thuas mo chlaíomh lonrach agus nuair a ghearann mo lámh an breithiúnas gheobhaidh mé díoltas ar mo naimhde agus aisíocfaidh mé astu a chránn mé." - Deuteronomy 32:41
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 6:29:14 PM EDT
[#23]
1 John 4:7-8
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 6:37:08 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Not mine, but the uncle that I was named after. He said that he kept repeating this during the Battle of the Bulge. He said that the shrapnel&bullets would hit his uniform and felt it like tugging on the cloth but not hit him. He said that he had a 'holey' uniform when that was over.

Psalm 91
1 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD , "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." Surely he will save you from the fowler's snare and from the deadly pestilence. He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.

5 You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day, nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday. A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you. You will only observe with your eyes and see the punishment of the wicked.

9 If you make the Most High your dwelling-even the LORD , who is my refuge- then no harm will befall you, no disaster will come near your tent. For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone. You will tread upon the lion and the cobra; you will trample the great lion and the serpent.

14 "Because he loves me," says the LORD , "I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. He will call upon me, and I will answer him;  I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. With long life will I satisfy him and show him my salvation."

wganz

I knew a fellow who became a Christian on the beaches at Normandy.  He stayed strong in his faith until the present day.  Something about machine bullets flying inches away and no cover that makes you think about eternity.
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 6:38:32 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I'm an agnostic/athiest so I view the Bible a little differently than many, bits of good advice mainly and I do have a favorite one...

It's in Luke (22:36)

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Suprised it wasn't among the favorites of anyone else

Proverbs is full of sound advice as well, IMHO.
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 6:38:56 PM EDT
[#26]
This gives me chills

Even the depths of despair and destruction are known by the Lord. How much more does he know the human heart!

Proverbs 15:11

Also

Be still and know that I am God- prov 46:10
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 6:43:24 PM EDT
[#27]
John 3:16 for sure and all of the 10th book of Romans
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 6:47:17 PM EDT
[#28]
There is now no condemnation of those who love the Lord.

Link Posted: 4/6/2005 6:47:33 PM EDT
[#29]

Finally, brothers, pray for us that the message of the Lord may spread rapidly and be honored, just as it was with you. And pray that we may be delivered from wicked and evil men, for not everyone has faith. But the Lord is faithful, and he will strengthen and protect you from the evil one.  (2 Thessalonians 3:1-3)

Link Posted: 4/6/2005 6:48:48 PM EDT
[#30]
And the most misquoted scripture award...

Ezekiel 25:17 = The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.

Actual scripture = 25:17 And I will execute great vengeance upon them with furious rebukes; and they shall know that I am the LORD, when I shall lay my vengeance upon them.

As embarrased as I am to admit.... I mentioned this quote to my father years ago and he led me in the right direction. "If you really want to know the scripture, you should read it for yourself and not hear the manipulated Hollywierd version" he said to me.
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 6:52:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Heh, I just want to warn you that the "Todays English Version" Bible is the dryest translation Ive ever read.

I decided to read through it again (last time I read through it completely was in sunday school) and it just seemed a lot more obfuscated then I remembered. Reading the passages you guys pasted I checked against other versions online... It turns out the "Todays English" is just  not my cup o' Tea at all.

Anyhow my favourites.

Revelations 13:10 "Anyone destined for captivity goes into captivity. Anyone destined to be slain by the sword shall be slain by the sword. Such is the faithful endurance of the holy ones."

Job 19:29 "Flee then from the face of the sword, for the sword is the revenger of iniquities: and know ye that there is a judgment."

Then theres also the one in Leviticus about the lame of foot, crooked of back, etc not being allowed to approach the alter. Thats the one that makes me feel uncomfortable going to church... But you said favourite... not least favourite.
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 6:54:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 6:59:11 PM EDT
[#33]
The following is scripture to me, I assume you all can relate to it:

12 And it came to pass that he rent his coat; and he took a piece thereof, and wrote upon it-- In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace our wives, and our children-- and he fastened it upon the end of a pole.
13 And he fastened on his headplate, and his breastplate, and his shields, and girded on his armor about his loins; and he took the pole, which had on the end thereof his rent coat, (and he called it the title of liberty) and he bowed himself to the earth, and he prayed mightly unto his God for the blessings of liberty to rest upon his brethren, so long as there should a band of Christians remain to possess the land---

Alma 45:12-13
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 7:01:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 7:04:33 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Amen, brother!

OH! How I wish I could pray the way David wrote in the psalms!

My personal favorites:

Psalms 19:1 - "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork." Every time I see the power and majesty of nature, this verse courses through my mind.

John 8:58 - "Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I AM." The Earth shakes every time I read that last phrase!

Link Posted: 4/6/2005 7:05:14 PM EDT
[#36]
It's the Scripture O' Truth thread!  Thank you, O-P.  Thank you very much for this thread of hope.  This is the most uplifting and encouraging discussion I've ever seen in my years at Arfcom.

bvmjethead's signature line (page 1) is my favorite scripture:

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Jeremiah 29:11

Even though I have a sense of purpose and direction in my life, this passage reminds me who's purpose it is.  Even though I don't know where my future will take me, my life is clearly an unfolding of His plan in His time.  It's awesome not to have the burden of planning and forcing my future; I let Him take care of it!  That leaves me with the sole struggle of being attentive and obedient.  Even when I fail that, He still takes care of me.

With that, I'll add Jesus' words:

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Matthew 11:28-30

Link Posted: 4/6/2005 7:05:26 PM EDT
[#37]

Eric,  you gotta carefully distinguish between a church-- however large-- and the Church. I'm not going to elaborate because I'm certain you know exactly what I mean and could articulate it far better than I.
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 7:06:13 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Be still and know that I am God- prov 46:10

Ah, yes! I had forgotten that one!

Very timely, considering my present mood. I hear, Lord, and I obey!
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 7:06:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 7:08:12 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
It's the Scripture O' Truth thread!  Thank you, O-P.  Thank you very much for this thread of hope.  This is the most uplifting and encouraging discussion I've ever seen in my years at Arfcom.

Indeed! I add my thanks, as well!

FINALLY! A thread about Christianity we can be PROUD of!

Question: A very dear friend and Christian brother once mentioned a passage which, translated from Spanish, reads along the lines of "The greatest thought of Man is insignificant aside the mearest thought of God." and "God knows when a sngle blade of grass moves..."

Can anyone point me in the right direction? The words I use don't find anything in the search engines I've tried. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 7:10:25 PM EDT
[#41]
There's one I like a bit BETTER, but I can't find it right now... :/ I know the "gist" but cannot recall the exact wording :/

But this is my second favorite, even if I do not (so much) care for the whole story....

Gen.27
[40] And by thy sword shalt thou live, and shalt serve thy brother; and it shall come to pass when thou shalt have the dominion, that thou shalt break his yoke from off thy neck.

Why? Well, it's IN the bible, and the sword (much like a firearm, by today's standards) is still seen as a necessary thing to weild. (Presumably for self-defense, at least in part).
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 7:14:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Jeremiah 29:11-14

For I know well the plans I have in mind for you, says the LORD, plans for peace, not for disaster! Plans to give you a future full of hope.
When you call me, when you go to pray to me, I will listen to you.
When you look for me, you will find me. Yes, when you seek me with all your heart, you will find me with you, says the LORD, and I will change your lot; I will gather you together from all the nations and all the places to which I have banished you, says the LORD, and bring you back to the place from which I have exiled you.
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 7:16:18 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The following is scripture to me, I assume you all can relate to it:

12 And it came to pass that he rent his coat; and he took a piece thereof, and wrote upon it-- In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace our wives, and our children-- and he fastened it upon the end of a pole.
13 And he fastened on his headplate, and his breastplate, and his shields, and girded on his armor about his loins; and he took the pole, which had on the end thereof his rent coat, (and he called it the title of liberty) and he bowed himself to the earth, and he prayed mightly unto his God for the blessings of liberty to rest upon his brethren, so long as there should a band of Christians remain to possess the land---

Alma 45:12-13

Sounds like something from the Koran, as well.

Say, that 'band of Christians' remaining to possess the land didn't last very long, did it?

I thought that the 'Very gates of hell' would not prevail against His Church?

Well, it appears that the Very Gates of Hell did in fact prevail against whatever Church was established in the New World.

Damn shame.

Eric The(Amazed)Hun

I think that you have two different references in mind.  That is okay, just remember the Lord remembers them who remember him.

I have another favorite of mine:

15 And when the servant of the man of God was risen early, and gone forth, behold, an host compassed the city both with horses and chariots. And his servant said unto him, Alas, my master! how shall we do?
16 And he answered, Fear not: for they that be with us are more than they that be with them.
17 And Elisha prayed, and said, Lord, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see. And the Lord opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha.

2nd Kings 6:15-17
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 7:16:44 PM EDT
[#44]

Zaphod,
The closest I could find is Amos 4:13--

For behold, He who forms mountains and creates the wind
        And declares to man what are His thoughts,
        He who makes dawn into darkness
        And treads on the high places of the earth,
        The LORD God of hosts is His name.

I don't think that was what you were looking for, though. There are searchable online Bibles (in more translations than you can shake a stick at) available at this website:

www.biblegateway.com/
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 7:19:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 7:21:08 PM EDT
[#46]
And when the centurion, who stood there in front of Jesus, heard his cry and saw how he died, he said, "Surely this man was the Son of God!"  Mark 15:39 (NIV)
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 7:24:18 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Question: A very dear friend and Christian brother once mentioned a passage which, translated from Spanish, reads along the lines of "The greatest thought of Man is insignificant aside the mearest thought of God." and "God knows when a sngle blade of grass moves..."

Can anyone point me in the right direction? The words I use don't find anything in the search engines I've tried. Thanks.

I can find nothing from Christianity, but there are several similar statements to those in the Koran and in the Holy Books of Hinduism.

Are you certain that your friend was quoting from the Holy Bible...even in Spanish?

Eric The(Perplexed)Hun

Quite. He is very devout, and would not mislead nor make a mistake of that magnitude.

I'll ask him next time we speak. I need to call him anyway....
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 7:40:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.    John 5:24

Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.  Romans 5:1-2

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.  2 Corinthians 5:17

For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. Ephesians 2:8-9

These are just a few that came to mind.

One of my favorit Psalms

Link Posted: 4/6/2005 7:42:05 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Psalm 91

My favorite as well, along with Psalrm 144.

Psalm 103, vs 13,14:  As a father pities his children,so the Lord loves those who fear him; (14) For He knows our frame, he remembers that we are but dust.

Ops
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 7:59:55 PM EDT
[#50]
great thread

Rom 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. 2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

There ar so many favorites.

2Ti 3:16 All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:  
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top