Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 8:17:25 PM EDT
[#1]
On a serious note: Philippians 2:12-15

. . . work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure. Do all things without murmerings and disputings: That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;

On a less serious note: Armaments, Chapter Two, Verses Nine to Twenty-One.

"And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high,
saying, 'Oh, Lord, bless this thy hand grenade that with it thou
mayest blow thy enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy.' And the Lord
did grin, and people did feast upon the lambs, and sloths, and
carp, and anchovies, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and
fruit bats, and large --"

"And the Lord spake, saying, 'First shalt thou take out
the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three, no more, no less.
Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the
counting shalt be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either
count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is
right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be
reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards
thou foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.'"

----------------------------

*RUNS*
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 8:24:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Mathew 5:9  Blessed be the Peace makers for they will be called sons of God.

One of my favorite versus. I am a strong believer that if you want peace, you must prepare for war thoough.
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 8:27:44 PM EDT
[#3]
probably a dupe [should be after 5 pages] but John 3:16

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son.  Patty
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#4]
"For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." Hebrews 4:12
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 8:33:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I've read every page of this thread, from top to bottom.
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 8:37:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Psalms are my fav, the most quoted of course is Psalms 23:4

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I fear no evil; for thou art with me;
thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 8:38:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Isa 55:11 So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; It shall not return to Me void, But it shall accomplish what I please, And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 8:41:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Ephesians 1:7- In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace. . . and

Ephesians 2:8-9- For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

I'll confess: Ephesians, Colossians, Philippians and Romans 8 are my favorites.

Great Thread!
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 8:57:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Joshua 24:15

...Choose you this day whom ye will serve... we will serve the Lord.
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 9:06:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 9:08:18 PM EDT
[#11]
i only know two by heart

1 Corinthians 15:32
If after the manner of men I have fought with beasts at Ephesus, what advantageth it me, if the dead rise not? let us eat and drink; for to morrow we die.

Ecclesiastes 1:17
And I gave my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly: I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 9:13:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Philippians 4:13  
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Luke 1:37  
For with God nothing shall be impossible.

Proverbs 3:6  
In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct they paths.

"Roman road"

3:10
3:23
5:12
5:8
6:23
10:13
10:9
10:10
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 9:24:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Ezekiel 25:17

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children.

"And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Link Posted: 4/6/2005 9:41:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Psalm 50:2

Out of Zion, the perfection of beauty, God hath shined.

-------------

Great thread.

(Even for us non-organized religion types!)
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 9:43:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Galatians 6:9 (King James Version)

9And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.

NMSight
Link Posted: 4/7/2005 12:41:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Romas 13:4- For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil
Link Posted: 4/7/2005 2:57:56 AM EDT
[#17]
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Romans 8:28

This has carried me through some situations that I would rather have not been in.
Link Posted: 4/7/2005 4:11:42 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Ezekiel 25:17

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children.

"And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Someone was watching Pulp Fiction last night......
Link Posted: 4/7/2005 4:23:19 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
It's the Scripture O' Truth thread!  Thank you, O-P.  Thank you very much for this thread of hope.  This is the most uplifting and encouraging discussion I've ever seen in my years at Arfcom.

Thanks.

It has even surprised me.
Link Posted: 4/7/2005 4:27:30 AM EDT
[#20]
1 John 2:15-17

Love not the world, neither the things in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father but is of the world.

And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

Link Posted: 4/7/2005 4:28:39 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Question: A very dear friend and Christian brother once mentioned a passage which, translated from Spanish, reads along the lines of "The greatest thought of Man is insignificant aside the mearest thought of God." and "God knows when a sngle blade of grass moves..."

Can anyone point me in the right direction? The words I use don't find anything in the search engines I've tried. Thanks.

Maybe these:

Isaiah 55:9  For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

And this one isn't the one you are looking for, but I love it.

Isaiah 40:8  The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the Word of our God shall stand for ever.
Link Posted: 4/7/2005 4:29:39 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I've read every page of this thread, from top to bottom.

Me to.

And we're both better men because of it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2005 4:35:02 AM EDT
[#23]

He who testifies to these things says, “Yes, I am coming soon.”
Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.
The grace of the Lord Jesus be with God's people. Amen.

Revelation 22:20-21

Link Posted: 4/7/2005 4:40:08 AM EDT
[#24]

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. - Ecclesiastes 10:2

-LS
Link Posted: 4/7/2005 4:44:23 AM EDT
[#25]
"Forgive them Father, for they know not what they do"

Man that one just gives me chills. Let's you know there's always hope. If Jesus was willing to forgive them, after what they just had done to Him,  then I have a chance too.
Link Posted: 4/7/2005 5:24:54 AM EDT
[#26]
There is no way that I can pick just one.

The Book of James comes as close as I can get for 'favorite'.

Link Posted: 4/7/2005 5:36:35 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

This has carried me through some situations that I would rather have not been in.

And, the amazing this is, it is always true.

"In all things" means in all things.

I might not understand it.  I might not want it.  I might not like it.

But God causes "all things (to) work together for good".

I will trust in Him.
Link Posted: 4/7/2005 5:46:44 AM EDT
[#28]

For a bishop as God's steward must be blameless, not arrogant, not irritable, not a drunkard, not aggressive, not greedy for sordid gain, but hospitable, a lover of goodness, temperate, just, holy, and self-controlled, holding fast to the true message as taught so that he will be able both to exhort with sound doctrine and to refute opponents. Titus 1:7-9

This passage has been on my mind this past week with all the speculation about the choice of a new Pope.
Link Posted: 4/7/2005 5:51:01 AM EDT
[#29]
In everything  do I will worship you.  Sorry I cannot say wht verse it is.  also 2nd corinthians.  The love chapter.  " For love endures all things, knows all things and hopes all things".  
Link Posted: 4/7/2005 5:52:31 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And, the amazing this is, it is always true.

"In all things" means in all things.

I might not understand it.  I might not want it.  I might not like it.

But God causes "all things (to) work together for good".

I will trust in Him.

I've been living in blind faith of that very belief for the better part of two years.

Yes, it is working, and yes, I'm beginning to see the good in much of it. As for the rest, I reckon I'll have to wait until He's good and ready to show me.
Link Posted: 4/7/2005 5:54:06 AM EDT
[#31]
All of Psalm 16  
Link Posted: 4/7/2005 5:54:47 AM EDT
[#32]
all of psalms 91
Link Posted: 4/7/2005 10:45:19 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
15 And when the servant of the man of God was risen early, and gone forth, behold, an host compassed the city both with horses and chariots. And his servant said unto him, Alas, my master! how shall we do?
16 And he answered, Fear not: for they that be with us are more than they that be with them.
17 And Elisha prayed, and said, Lord, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see. And the Lord opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha.

2nd Kings 6:15-17

That one gives me chills when I read it.

I haven't reached the end yet, so don't know if someone already posted this one:

Phil 2:9-11

For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
Link Posted: 4/7/2005 11:08:42 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I haven't reached the end yet, so don't know if someone already posted this one:

Phil 2:9-11

For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

I love that one too.

I always notice that it says, "every knee shall bow", and that "every tongue shall confess".

That includes the knees and tongues of "every" person.
Link Posted: 4/7/2005 11:17:56 AM EDT
[#35]
1 SAM 14....Johnathan's armor bearer to Johnathon, "do whatsoever is in your mind to do. I am with you heart and soul!"
Link Posted: 4/7/2005 11:18:11 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Love not the world, neither the things in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father but is of the world.

And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

I like that one, too.

Satan's 3-part strategy.

It worked on eve in Genesis Chapter 3.

It didn't work on Jesus in Matthew Chapter 4, though.

Parise the Lord for that!

Mine?

Psalms 139:23-24

Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:

And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting

Psalms 37:23-24

The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way.

Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the LORD upholdeth him with his hand.

Link Posted: 4/7/2005 11:25:11 AM EDT
[#37]

Job 42:1-6

1 Then Job answered the LORD and said:
      2"I know that You can do everything,
      And that no purpose of Yours can be withheld from You.
      3You asked, "Who is this who hides counsel without knowledge?'
      Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand,
      Things too wonderful for me, which I did not know.
      4Listen, please, and let me speak;
      You said, "I will question you, and you shall answer Me.'
      5"I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear,
      But now my eye sees You.
      6Therefore I abhor myself,
      And repent in dust and ashes."

Link Posted: 4/7/2005 11:27:34 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Oh God of Earth And Altar
Bow Down and Hear Our Cry
Our Earthly Rulers Falter
Our People Drift and Die
The Walls of Gold Entomb Us
The Swords of Scorn Divide
Take Not Thy Thunder From Us
But Take Away Our Pride

Someone likes Iron Maiden
Link Posted: 4/7/2005 11:27:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

(Sortof gives everything a little perspective)

Genesis 24:67 Then Isaac brought Rebekah into his mother Sarah’s tent. He took her as his wife and loved her.

(First recorded wedding ceremony, short, sweet, to the point)

Revelation
22:3 And there will no longer be any curse, and the throne of God and the Lamb will be in the city. His servants will worship him,
22:4 and they will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads.
22:5 Night will be no more, and they will not need the light of a lamp or the light of the sun, because the Lord God will shine on them, and they will reign forever and ever.

(Woooo Hooooo.... The end of the story is a good one)

Ecclesiastes 12:13 Having heard everything, I have reached this conclusion: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man.

(You kindof have to read the whole book to get the context of the verse, but theres a whole lot more meaning that this short sentence)

Link Posted: 4/7/2005 11:27:39 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the LORD upholdeth him with his hand.

Then you will love this one:

Psalm 73:23  Nevertheless I am continually with thee: thou hast holden me by my right hand.

24  Thou shalt guide me with thy counsel, and afterward receive me to glory.

One of my very favorites.
Link Posted: 4/7/2005 11:27:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Ecclesiastes 12, Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth, while the evil days come not, nor the years draw nigh, when thou shalt say, I have no pleasure in them.

12:14 For God shall bring every work into judgement, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Link Posted: 4/7/2005 11:28:41 AM EDT
[#42]
when you feel like nobody needs you or you dont make a differance.......

"In His goodness he chose to make us His own children by giving us His true word. And we, OUT OF ALL CREATION, became His choice possesion."  James 1:18
Link Posted: 4/7/2005 11:29:56 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I'm an agnostic/athiest so I view the Bible a little differently than many, bits of good advice mainly and I do have a favorite one...

It's in Luke (22:36)

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Suprised it wasn't among the favorites of anyone else

That was so Jesus could fulfill prophecy by being numbered among the transgressors. He also rebukes Peter for using the sword.
Link Posted: 4/7/2005 11:33:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Psalm 126/V3:
"The Lord has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy"

My wife of 5y painted that over our door as her first 'honey-do'. That, and having 1-Corinthians-13 read by my best and oldest friend at our wedding is about all I could ask.

Love
  1If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.
  4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not selfseeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Link Posted: 4/7/2005 11:39:40 AM EDT
[#45]
The Most Important Commandment

Jesus replies, "The most important commandment is this: Hear, O Israel! The Lord our God is the one and only Lord. And you must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength. The second is equally important. Love your neighbor as yourself. No other commandment is greater than these" Mark 29-31

these words are more precious to man than all the gold in the world
Link Posted: 4/7/2005 11:46:17 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like that one, too.

Satan's 3-part strategy.

It worked on eve in Genesis Chapter 3.

It didn't work on Jesus in Matthew Chapter 4, though.

Parise the Lord for that!

Mine?

Psalms 139:23-24

Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:

And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting

The decision to fall was made by the first Adam in a Garden (Eden)

The decision for redemption was made by the last Adam (Jesus) in a Garden (Gethsemane)

Man fell at a tree (Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil)

Man was saved at a tree (the Cross)

Man was cast out of fellowship with God with angels guarding the Garden of Eden to prevent man from coming back in.

Man was brought back into fellowship with God with angels attending (at the tomb on resurrection morning).
Link Posted: 4/7/2005 11:52:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Never trouble trouble til' trouble troubles you. LOL. -fortune cookie.
Link Posted: 4/7/2005 11:55:57 AM EDT
[#48]
I sorted through all my favorite passages and started memorizing them some 10 years ago. so far i have the following chapters in my memory (some partial).
Genesis 1
Psalm 1
Psalm 19
Psalm 23
Psalm 51 (edited to add)
Psalm 91
Psalm 100
Psalm 119 (72 verses only - too long!!)
Psalm 139
Proverbs 2
Proverbs 3
Isaiah 53
Matthew 5, 6, 7 (sermon on the mount)
John 1
Romans 5(halfway)
Romans 8 (my favorite)
Romans 12
1 Cor 13
2 Cor 4
Eph 2 (halfway)
Philippians 2 (partial)
Colosians 1
Hebrews 12
1 Peter 1 (edited to add)

i knew somebody who memorized the Book of James - now that's scary!!!

DD
Link Posted: 4/7/2005 12:03:46 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I sorted through all my favorite passages and started memorizing them some 10 years ago. so far i have the following chapters in my memory (some partial).
Genesis 1
Psalm 1
Psalm 19
Psalm 23
Psam 51 (edited to add)
Psalm 91
Psalm 100
Psalm 119 (72 verses only - too long!!)
Psalm 139
Proverbs 2
Proverbs 3
Isaiah 53
Matthew 5, 6, 7 (sermon on the mount)
John 1
Romans 5(halfway)
Romans 8 (my favorite)
Romans 12
1 Cor 13
2 Cor 4
Eph 2 (halfway)
Philippians 2 (partial)
Colosians 1
Hebrews 12

i knew somebody who memorized the Book of James - now that's scary!!!

DD

Impressive!  My pastor memorized the whole book of Romans (KJV).  
Link Posted: 4/7/2005 2:34:04 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Question: A very dear friend and Christian brother once mentioned a passage which, translated from Spanish, reads along the lines of "The greatest thought of Man is insignificant aside the mearest thought of God." and "God knows when a sngle blade of grass moves..."

Can anyone point me in the right direction? The words I use don't find anything in the search engines I've tried. Thanks.

I can find nothing from Christianity, but there are several similar statements to those in the Koran and in the Holy Books of Hinduism.

Are you certain that your friend was quoting from the Holy Bible...even in Spanish?

Eric The(Perplexed)Hun

Quite. He is very devout, and would not mislead nor make a mistake of that magnitude.

I'll ask him next time we speak. I need to call him anyway....

Sounds like a proof from a catechism.  Which, if he is devout, would be apros pos.

ETA:  This may be the best thread of all time IMHO.  Good for the heart! Forgot to include one of my favorites when I made the above post.

2 Tim 2:3,4  (3) Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.  (4) No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier. (KJV)

And my crutch verse!  (Thanks to the Navigators for their discipleship and training!)

1 Cor 10:13   There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it. (KJV)

I actually prefer the NIV on that one (one of the very, very few there, but it is a more direct translation of the Greek), but have memorized it in both KJV and NIV, the NIV says:

1 Cor 10:13  No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top