Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 30
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 6:35:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Zumbo gonna take a nsty black eye on this one.  Ive emailed both outdoor life and remington as well.

SW
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 6:37:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
he sure does a big ol' plug for Remington in that article. wonder what there opinion is on the matter?? has anyone emailed them?? ive emailed everyone at outdoor life. that i could find an email for.

As I said I would do in my post to Mr. Zumbo's blog, I've already emailed Remington with my thoughts on the matter and asked specifically if they endorsed his comments.

I'll post a response if I get one.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 6:37:26 PM EDT
[#3]
What a fucking goober.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 6:38:38 PM EDT
[#4]
The thing of it is: he's yesterday's man.

In the local gun shops, NOBODY is buying hunting rifles or gear. Nobody.

It's all "assault weapons" and handguns, and the ammo to go with them. People buy it by the case, and the shotgun shell boxes are gathering dust. REMINGTON shotgun shells, Mr Zumbo....

People are buying WOLF, milsurp, Lake City .223, .308 and 7.62x39 like it's going out of style, which hunting seems to be. Suburbanites love to shoot. probably more so than hunters, most of whom we rarely see at the local gun clubs I'm a member at. And when they do show up, in the hunting season, to resight their guns, we get the hell out of there, because we know somebody's going to get hurt, since these guys rarely fire their guns. To them, a gun is a tool, like a bow and arrow. If guns got taken away, they'd just shrug and pick up a fishing rod.

Yesterday's men.

Link Posted: 2/17/2007 6:40:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Why do people feel the need to own assault type weapons? Law enforcement and military should be the only people allowed to own them. They were designed to kill people not animals.

Somebody wrote this on there. I don't even know what to say. He obviously didn't read any of the comments or ever shot an AR for that matter.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 6:41:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Why do people feel the need to own assault type weapons? Law enforcement and military should be the only people allowed to own them. They were designed to kill people not animals.

Somebody wrote this on there. I don't even know what to say. He obviously didn't read any of the comments or ever shot an AR for that matter.

If he's shooting a Mauser-derived hunting rifle, then that is EXACTLY what they were designed for- killing people.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 6:41:46 PM EDT
[#9]
After some searching, I found they are a product of Time Warner.  A phone number listed on their(Time Warner) website is (212)484-8000.  I'm sure we could leave some voicemails or wait untill Tuesday to let them know where we stand.  It would better to have a direct line to Outdoor Life, but I figure they keep that secret for reasons like this.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 6:42:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
What a fucking goober.

your not this larryg that posted in his blog are you??

Posted by: LarryG | February 17, 2007 at 10:32 PM

Sigline is below, not above.

oh i see
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 6:44:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 6:45:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Gentlemen and ladies

Consider writing your comments ahead of time in a word or notebook document instead of writing them directly in an email or comment box,

Let them sit awhile.  Read them over, make corrections, and tweak the language to say precisely what you want.  Then post your thoughts.  Leave the drama out, but be clear that Zumbo's comment is unacceptable to a broad spectrum of shooters.

His comment about never seeing an AR type in the field makes me wonder how much time he spends shooting prairie dogs.  As near as I can tell, AR's are very popular.  It has taken about 5 years around here, but the hard core dog shooters have figured out that an AR is useful and a hoot to shoot in the dog towns.  Most of them will admit to owning one nowadays.

We should also wonder why he's afraid of a firearm.

I'm also wondering if he's up for a shooting match - my gas operated bolt action against any rifle in his rack.  I would stipulate that it be a rifle he bought out of his own pocket for  street price, not a sweetened deal from a gun maker.

I'll bet Zumbo will show up at the NRA convention in April ---------
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 6:46:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Unbelieveable what this guy said.  I'm sure our troops feel great knowing they trust their lives to "terrorist weapons."  As has been said many times here, once the gun grabbers finish banning semi-autos, they'll move on to those "precision sniper rifles," otherwise known as scoped bolt-action hunting rifles.  As shooters, all we have is each other.  If we are not watching each other's back, who is?
The type of rifle a person decides to hunt or shoot with doesn't make him a poor marksman, or someone who wants to play Rambo!
We should be spreading a positive message about the shooting sports and the people who participate in them, not feeding into the notion that a certain group of firearms are for terrorists and have no legitimate sporting purpose.  Such ignorance in this day and age leaves me completely dumbfounded.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 6:47:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 6:47:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I have spoken.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 6:47:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
What is the Article URL so I can post a comment?

Its in the original post. Just not hot linked. Copy and paste. Blog comments at bottom of page.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 6:48:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Gentlemen and ladies

Consider writing your comments ahead of time in a word or notebook document instead of writing them directly in an email or comment box,

Let them sit awhile.  Read them over, make corrections, and tweak the language to say precisely what you want.  Then post your thoughts.  Leave the drama out, but be clear that Zumbo's comment is unacceptable to a broad spectrum of shooters.

His comment about never seeing an AR type in the field makes me wonder how much time he spends shooting prairie dogs.  As near as I can tell, AR's are very popular.  It has taken about 5 years around here, but the hard core dog shooters have figured out that an AR is useful and a hoot to shoot in the dog towns.  Most of them will admit to owning one nowadays.

I'm also wondering if he's up for a shooting match - my gas operated bolt action against any rifle in his rack.  I would stipulate that it be a rifle he bought out of his own pocket for  street price, not a sweetened deal from a gun maker.

if he gets an invitation....
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 6:50:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
After some searching, I found they are a product of Time Warner.  A phone number listed on their(Time Warner) website is (212)484-8000.  I'm sure we could leave some voicemails or wait untill Tuesday to let them know where we stand.  It would better to have a direct line to Outdoor Life, but I figure they keep that secret for reasons like this.

The company line at Time Warner on guns is:

Guns are evil,
guns are bad.
Tell your mom,
turn in your dad.

Just read Time magazine, and watch some of the TV shows and movies put out by their media companies- you'll see.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 6:54:09 PM EDT
[#19]
My response:

Mr. Zumbo,

Quite frankly, your article demonstrates the connection between stupidity and gun bans.  You don't like the way they look so you want to ban them.  Well, they look the way they do for a very good reason.  They are designed to defend home and hearth against evil men, an eminently more noble purpose than hunting which, while fun, is not an inalienable human right.  Now, the things which make an AR a good self-defense rifle do not detract from its ability to accurately place rounds down target, which is what one needs for hunting.  Quite to the contrary, its ergonomics make it easier to shoot accurately.  In addition, the lack of an op rod makes it more accurate than most other semi-automatic designs.  Quite simply, a man who uses such a weapon is hardly a terrorist.  He has simply accepted that technology progresses and has pragmatically chosen a weapon suited to defense as well as hunting.  We used to call that "being smart."

Secondly, your motives for hating modern weapons are completely off base.  Trying to discourage these weapons to appease the gun banners simply doesn't work.  They are motivated by each victory to go after more and more firearms.  Case in point, after the AWB was passed, did they stop?  No, they kept trying to restrict more and more semi-autos, and succeeded in several state governments (such as California and New York).  In contrast, when we stood together and stopped them from banning handguns back in the 1980s, they gave up on that and went after what they saw as easier targets.

In short, anyone who wants to protect their sport is better served by standing with their fellow gun owners and defending our sacred rights, rather than trying to lick the hands of those who would be our masters.

Link Posted: 2/17/2007 6:54:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Left my $.02 worth to Zumbo and to the editors.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 6:54:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Freaking Fudds.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 6:55:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
he sure does a big ol' plug for Remington in that article. wonder what there opinion is on the matter?? has anyone emailed them?? ive emailed everyone at outdoor life. that i could find an email for.

As I said I would do in my post to Mr. Zumbo's blog, I've already emailed Remington with my thoughts on the matter and asked specifically if they endorsed his comments.

I'd like to email Remington, but can't find an email address.  Could you post it?  I would imagine that Eddie Stevenson, PR Manager for Remington Arms, would be interested to know that he and his company are being associated with a call to ban firearms.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 6:55:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Ive never heard of shooting PDs with an AR. You mean they do that?  
Ballisticbills PD kill'n Clinic
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 6:56:27 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Freaking Fudds.

Fucking stupid fudds.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 6:56:46 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

According to the guy quoted above, shooting a wild deer is more noble than defending your house and family from looters.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 6:56:56 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Gentlemen and ladies

A fire mission on the NRA, hoping they invite him to stay away? I like it!
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 6:58:47 PM EDT
[#27]
REMINGTONS NUMBERS

Company Information

Corporate Headquarters

Remington Arms Company, Inc.
870 Remington Drive
P.O. Box 700
Madison, NC  27025-0700 TEL: 1-800-243-9700
Fax: 1-336-548-7801
Email Us / Online Help Center
Directions & Map

Site Locations

Ilion Firearms Plant & Custom Shop
14 Hoefler Avenue
Ilion, NY 13357
TEL: 1-315-895-3200
Directions & Map

Ammunition & Components Plant
2592 Arkansas Hwy 15 N
Lonoke, AR  72086
TEL: 1-501-676-3161
Directions & Map
Mayfield Firearms Plant
22 Rifle Trail
PO Box 99
Hickory, KY 42051
TEL: 1-270-856-4200

Findlay Target Plant
520 East Edgar Ave.
PO Box 390
Findlay, OH 45839
TEL: 1-419-422-3151
Directions & Map
Technical Center
315 W. Ring Road
Elizabethtown, KY 42701

Other Contact Information

Consumer Services / Parts & Service
TEL: 1-800-243-9700
Fax: 1-336-548-7801
Military, Law Enforcement,
& Federal Agency Sales
TEL: 1-336-548-8899
Fax: 1-336-548-8798

Advertising Information
Fax: 1-336-548-7732

Clay Targets & Gun Club Products
TEL: 1-336-548-8557
Fax: 1-336-548-7706

Credit Division
Fax: 1-336-548-7845

Public Relations & Press Office
TEL: 1-800-537-2278  (Press Only)
Fax: 1-336-548-7750

Ammunition Product Services
2592 Arkansas Hwy 15 N
Lonoke, AR  72086
TEL: 1-501-676-3161
Fax: 1-501- 676-4231
Industrial Products Division
2592 Arkansas Hwy 15 N
Lonoke, AR  72086
TEL: 1-501- 676-4260
Fax: 1-501- 676-4263

Powder Metal Products Division
Remington Arms Company, Inc.
14 Hoefler Avenue
Ilion, New York  13357
TEL: 1-315-895-3453
Fax: 1-315-895-322

Link Posted: 2/17/2007 7:00:16 PM EDT
[#28]
For what it'll be worth, I left a comment as well.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 7:00:31 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Gentlemen and ladies

A fire mission on the NRA, hoping they invite him to stay away? I like it!

Sadly, the NRA doesn't care about black rifles either.  

Way to go Mr. Zumbo! Thank you so very much for falling for...I mean standing up for our cause. Your check is in the mail. See you at the DNC...your front row seat is reserved!

-Nancy Pelosi :D

Even funnier because I wrote it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 7:01:11 PM EDT
[#30]

I think real sportsmen should distance themselves from the assault rifle crowd. They are going to end up getting all our guns banned. If they can't hunt with a bolt action rifle then they shouldn't be hunting at all.
John

Another silly quote.

Link Posted: 2/17/2007 7:03:21 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
What a fucking goober.

oh i see

As noted, the sig line is below.  I did post, but you know better than to ask if I would post such drivel.  Silly boy.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 7:03:31 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Gentlemen and ladies

Excellent statement.  The pen is deadlier than the sword.

Make sure your statement is professional and represents the intelligence, faith, fortitude and knowledge of the citizens.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 7:04:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 7:05:21 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Left my $.02 worth to Zumbo and to the editors. I can't understand where the Gunny (if he really is a Gunny) is coming from in his comments though. Hard to believe he is against us also.

As previously noted, the sig line is at the bottom.  I admit it does make it seem the other way around, but the Gunny did not post what you think he did.  His post is above his sig.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 7:05:23 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
What a fucking goober.

oh i see

As noted, the sig line is below.  I did post, but you know better than to ask if I would post such drivel.  Silly boy.

LOL,actually i thought it was someone on here trying to pull one on ya, lol i knew it wasnt actually you.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 7:06:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Wow. I've always respected your articles and opinions.
Till now.
You really pissed off a lot of people with that idiotic statement, ahem, article, ahem, tripe.
You've stated an opinion on so called assualt rifles". Now, please allow me my opinion on your "sporting" rifle.
Do you really find pleasure in vaporizing a rodent at 500 yards? Wow, that must be quite a rush. You seem to derive a great deal of satisfaction doing that.
You must take great pride in owning and maintaining a quality piece of equipment and in being more than capable of making a difficult shot at distance.
Now, take that pride in skill and equipment and transfer that over to my area of expertise - owning, hunting and skillfully shooting a military grade firearm, in this case a Bushmaster XM-15 E2S, an AR-15 to you.
This same weapon in select fire version (3 shot burst and full auto in some cases)is carried by thousands of US servicemen and women today. Are you calling them terrorists? Is that where your mindset is at?
That seems to be what your saying.
You should immediatly and without delay apoligize to the US Serviceman, right now. After that, you should resign your position as a so called Sports writer.
Oh, by the way, my subscription to Outdoor life will be cancelled first thing Tuesday morning. I refuse to help pay for a sponsor of your assinine opinions. Gregg K.

Link Posted: 2/17/2007 7:06:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Terrorist can't afford AR15's.
For example... That kid that went into the shopping mall in Utah, what was he carrying? A shotgun! So does that make our Vice President a terrorist?
I'm glad now I didn't re-new my subscription for Outdoor Life. I'm gonna let the Field&Stream subscription expire too.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 7:07:21 PM EDT
[#38]
I just sent this message through Remington's customer service site.

This evening I discovered that Jim Zumbo, a writer for Outdoor Life, penned what I consider one of the most irresponsible columns by a gunwriter that I have ever had the displeasure to read.

http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/zumbo/2007/02/assault_rifles_.html

Is the opinion stated by Mr. Zumbo the one that Remington holds? If it is not a view held by Remington, it would be wise to remove any and all of your advertising that is shown on the site.
A site that just called for the abrogation of our 2 nd Amendment Rights.

I ask Remington to carefully consider if it neds to continue its relationship with a publication that is calling for such an attack upon our Constitution.

Doubt it will do much good if just I do it, but I think that if everyone who posted here does it
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 7:08:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 7:09:21 PM EDT
[#40]
what a jerkhunter,
ar15's rule, ak47's rule, pump shotguns rule, side by side shotguns rule, 30 30's rule, bolt rifles rule, handguns rule, compound bows rule ...
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 7:10:56 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd like to email Remington, but can't find an email address.  Could you post it?  I would imagine that Eddie Stevenson, PR Manager for Remington Arms, would be interested to know that he and his company are being associated with a call to ban firearms.

I'd also like to find an email for Remington.

I've had the email typed up for awhile now, but have yet to find an address to send it to even after searching for about 45 minutes.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 7:15:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Et tu Zumbo?  

2nd Amendment:
Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears;
I come to bury the 2nd Amendment, not to praise it.
The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones: (80)
So let it be with the 2nd Amendment. The noble Zumbo
Hath told you the 2nd was ambitious:
If it were so, it was a grievous fault;
And grievously hath the 2nd answer'd it.
Here, under leave of Zumbo and the rest,-- (85)
For Zumbo is an honourable man;
So are they all, all honorable men,--
Come I to speak in the 2nd's funeral.
It was my friend, faithful and just to me:
But Zumbo says he was ambitious; (90)
And Zumbo is an honourable man.
He hath brought many captives home to Rome,
Whose ransoms did the general coffers fill:
Did this in the 2nd Amendement Caesar seem ambitious?
When that the poor have cried, the 2nd hath wept: (95)
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff:
Yet Zumbo says it was ambitious;
And Zumbo is an honourable man.
You all did see that on the Lupercal
I thrice presented him a kingly crown, (100)
Which he did thrice refuse: was this ambition?
Yet Zumbo says it was ambitious;
And, sure, he is an honourable man.
I speak not to disprove what Zumbo spoke,
But here I am to speak what I do know. (105)
You all did love the 2nd Amendment  once,--not without cause:
What cause withholds you, then, to mourn for it?--
O judgment, thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason!--Bear with me;
My heart is in the coffin there with the 2nd Amendment, (110)
And I must pause till it come back to me.

Shakespeare was great...I just made it a bit more relevant though.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 7:15:25 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Left my $.02 worth to Zumbo and to the editors. I can't understand where the Gunny (if he really is a Gunny) is coming from in his comments though. Hard to believe he is against us also.

As previously noted, the sig line is at the bottom.  I admit it does make it seem the other way around, but the Gunny did not post what you think he did.  His post is above his sig.

Thanks for sticking up for me, Larry!  

River Rat,

Don't worry, you were at least the third person to have made that mistake.

And before anyone else calls BS on me, this was my post:

"United States Constitution,
Bill of Rights, Amendment II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Nope....I don't see anything that protects legal hunting implements in that statement.

A semiauto rifle is a semiauto rifle, regardless of whether the stocks are wood or plastic, aesthetic or utilitarian. Trying to appease the antis by restricting our choice of rifle based on cosmetic features is futile. Forget it, they won't be appeased until firearms and hunting are extinct.

Our Grandpas likely learned to shoot using their M1903 service rifles on a military range. They later used those same surplus rifles to harvest game.

Today's US serviceman is taught to shoot using an M-16, even in places like your old hunting grounds at USMA West Point, Jim. He's trained to know how to safely and accurately use that rifle. NFA and game laws often preclude his using a real M-16, but why can't he use a legal semi auto rifle, that is only ergonomically similar to his M-16, to hunt?

The rifles you ascribe to having terrorist qualities are used in long range, iron sight competition at Camp Perry, by both civilian and military competitors.

No one has changed legal magazine capacity or minimum caliber rules in game law to accomodate these new rifles. The shooting community, as a whole, would be best served by ensuring that these types of rifles are also seen in positive use in the game fields of America.

To quote John Dickinson (1768) "Then join hand in hand, brave Americans all, By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall; In so righteous a cause let us hope to succeed, For heaven approves of each generous deed."

Posted by: Dave Geisert, Gunnery Sergeant, USMC | February 17, 2007 at 10:01 PM

Link Posted: 2/17/2007 7:19:10 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
What a fucking goober.

oh i see

LOL,actually i thought it was someone on here trying to pull one on ya, lol i knew it wasnt actually you.

Shit, I just got an e-mail from someone who thought the same thing you did.  Damn!
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 7:22:13 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are indeed correct. The gunny was rather eloquent. Must go back and edit my post know.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 7:24:38 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are indeed correct. The gunny was rather eloquent. Must go back and edit my post know.

[Elvis] Thank You! Thank You, verah much!! [/Elvis]
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 7:25:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 7:27:03 PM EDT
[#48]
David Fortier- now my favorite gun writer in the business.  I was never really a fan until I saw his signed post on the Outdoor Life feeback to the Zumbo article.  

David, your integrity and committment to our sport and our cause is commendable.  Never will I say a harsh word about you again.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 7:28:00 PM EDT
[#49]
FYI, Outdoorlife is owned by Time4 Media, which also owns Field&Stream and Popular Science.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 7:28:44 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Everybody needs to check their fire.

+1

It's way to easy to get carried away with this. I'm done posting, I've said what I had to say.
Page / 30
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top