Starbucks?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:47:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Thats nothing. My coffeemaker cost $800

Ok, you're even crazier.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:55:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Have one, it is the difference between eatign rice at home and not eating rice at home, because without the machine I'm incapable of even boiling rice properly. Cooking is not my forte.

However, with the machine, I'm just plain gifted in the kitchen. Here's a recipe for a rice dessert that will make you feel like the machine has paid for itself in one meal, desite the incredible simplicity:

Thai Sticky Rice Steeped in Coconut Milk, "Khao Neeo Moon"

Ingredients
1 lb sticky rice . If you don't know what sticky rice is, find an asian market and ask for help. western style white rice is not the same thing, this is glutinous rice.
1 tbsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
2 1/4 cup coconut milk

Method
Prepare the sticky rice using rice cooker. Near end of cooking cycle, dissolve salt and sugar in the coconut milk, and heat while stirring to prevent lumps. When coconut milk boils, remove from heat and set 3/4 cup aside to be used when serving. Place cooked sticky rice in a container with tightly fitting lid, and pour in remaining coconut milk. Stir vigorously, and cover, and set aside for awhile to allow coconut milk to mingle with the rice thoroughly. When serving, spoon some of the coconut milk set aside earlier over the rice before adding toppings. Note: be sure to mix warm coconut milk with sticky rice immediately after the sticky rice is finished cooking.

Toppings - sliced peaches, sliced mango, etc. Or my favorite - air. Nothing but the rice and the coconut milk concoction.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:05:58 AM EDT
[#4]
 <--- That's not laughter, that's me in the throes of hunger.  Holy shit does that sound good!

Got the UPS tracking #.  My baby will be here 10/25.

I was really agonizing over thi$ - but it sounds like I won't be dissapointed.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:23:25 AM EDT
[#5]
$100+ for a quality rice cooker is about average.  Being half-Japanese, I grew up with rice as a main part of about half of my meals, so a rice cooker was essential for me.  I buy them pretty often as wedding gifts, cause it's not something that a lot of white folk () tend to buy for people - every one that I've given has been appreciated - usually helps to buy a small bag of Japanese rice to go with it.

Of course, most Asians think that "all rice tastes the same"...

Dave
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:02:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Good for you!
Way to exercise your rights to buy whatever the heck you want too!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:45:12 AM EDT
[#7]
any standard small to medium sized stew pot with a lid will make an excellent rice cooker, as long as you use the right amount of water and pre-soak the rice, I dont see the need for a special rice cooker unless your feeding a lot of people or for a restaurant?

my everyday rice cooker is a standard 2 quart pot with a lid.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top