BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:05:20 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I am still waiting on a Paypal address to send money to.

Just remember if you do Paypal, they are anti gun. NO GUN REFERENCES!!

I am fully aware of the "no gun references" thing with PayPal.  But I wonder if they would object to the words "Second Amendment"?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:08:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I am still waiting on a Paypal address to send money to.

Just remember if you do Paypal, they are anti gun. NO GUN REFERENCES!!

I am fully aware of the "no gun references" thing with PayPal.  But I wonder if they would object to the words "Second Amendment"?

Just say "Clemson newspaper" or " First Amendment"
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:18:48 AM EDT
[#3]
one entry per person per day...

taggage.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:24:46 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Hey guys,

For some of you who said you've contacted us already, I'll just let you know I am the business director for this newspaper and things have gotten pretty bad. We cant tell you how much we appreciate all the support we've gotten from people like you all over the country, we have hundreds of emails supporting everything we're doing, but its still not enough to stop the liberals on campus from literally destroying this event.

Under SC raffle laws, if someone demands a ticket and doesnt wish to donate, we must give them one. Now thats all fine and good, we've had quite a few people enter 20+ times that way but we're still in the fair playing field considering all the other legitimate folks who've gotten 3-4 tickets and donated. They're trying to stack the odds in their favor so they can "melt it down" and we're powerless to stop them. But thats not the big deal.

The big deal was when a student came by today - who i will gladly name and give contact information for should anybody want it - and took about 5 of our sign-up sheets and just proceeded to fill out 200+ slots for tickets. When we got fed-up we shut it down before he could demand the tickets explicitly but we dont know what to do. If we open it back up, he'll enter and so will all his friends and it will totally ruin the chances for all other folks to win legitimately. It's a big problem and we're really up a creek right now. If anybody is a law enforcement officer, judge, or lawyer (or you know any ) who might be familiar with laws pertaining to us, any information would be more than welcome. You can reach me direct via AIM at: Alcibiades223 if you have any other questions, concerns, or want to find out how to donate to the paper (if not the raffle itself).

We want to keep doing this and do it legitimately, but we really dont want these people to use the law in egregiously abusive ways to get what they want with no consideration for other people. How typical.

Anyway, any and all information would be appreciated. Feel free to forward this request along to anyone. We're a group of VERY determined individuals and we will do what we can to make this work out the right way.

Thanks

Limit to One free entry per person. Who the heck cares if one of them wins it... what are they gonna do with it?

It would be hilarious to have a convicted felon win it, only to have you end up writing an article in the paper about how it couldn't be transferred to him due to his conviction status.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:29:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Why don't they sell something for $5, and give a raffle ticket away with it
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:31:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Why don't they sell something for $5, and give a raffle ticket away with it

That a good idea - a Second Amendment bumpersticker or something?

A fundraiser AND a raffle.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:35:46 AM EDT
[#7]
If the Libtards have to pay to donate to a conservative newspaper, they'll stop trying to get tix and start throwing rocks or go on a hunger strike, or whatever libtards do when they get mad
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:37:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Either one entry per person per day, or...you know that little box on the paperwork that asks about drug use?  Liberal + college aged = guaranteed pothead

Would be cool even if the retard won it, if you could somehow nail him down as having used drugs, and then expose him in an article and refuse to transfer the rifle to him, or even better, nail him for lying on the federal form.

I don't know how well that would work out in practice, but its cool to think about.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:43:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Hey all,

Just wanted to let everyone know that, since we really didnt fathom the depths to which these liberals will sink to destroy all fair chances of winning for legitimate donors, we've decided to basically shut the event down. We still plan to hold the drawing on Thursday afternoon and we'll be sure and let you know how that goes, but we just cant figure out a way to deal with these protestors between now and then.

We fully intend to talk to a lawyer and find out what rules we can get around, because, we WILL do this again and we will ensure that it is totally fair and we will be sure to make it open to all eligible citizens of the United States, including you good people. This was our first attempt and I can't tell you what a big splash it has made WORLDWIDE.

Some of you asked how you can donate to the Observer via PayPal. We have an account with them at: [email protected]. I just want to make clear that, should you donate to us at this juncture, it will purely be in support of the paper and carry no guarantees regarding the current drawing event. Know that we will use any donation to make plans for another event similar to this in the future and the continued publication of our great issues. Include your address with any donation and we'll put you on our one-year subscription list too.

Any ideas and advice still welcome. As far as our understanding of the laws go, limiting entry in any way shape or form is illegal. But we simply dont know.

God Bless.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:48:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Some of you asked how you can donate to the Observer via PayPal. We have an account with them at: [email protected]. I just want to make clear that, should you donate to us at this juncture, it will purely be in support of the paper and carry no guarantees regarding the current drawing event. Know that we will use any donation to make plans for another event similar to this in the future and the continued publication of our great issues. Include your address with any donation and we'll put you on our one-year subscription list too.

ROCKIN'!!!!!!

Consider it done.  Fitty bux coming your way.

I'm a gunsnob and never really liked AK's anyway.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:52:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Our hopes were originally that if we could pull this off and turn even a $1 profit, that we would hold another event in exactly the same way (except employing the legal tools to prevent abuse by opposing students) and offer an AR-15, a nice PA shotgun, and a nice handgun as prizes to cover the spectrum of guns and our support of them all in a way to try and argue against those who are attacking us purely because of our AK-47 prize. And to you AK haters, I understand the feeling - I'm a Bushmaster owner - but for our purposes the AK was the cheapest prize of great reliability and decent quality for the money that shows the 2nd Amendment applies mainly to military style guns and that it is their ownership in the hands of citizens that ensures our freedom more than any government decree.

I have the article we ran in our most recent issue defending this event if anyone would like to read it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:54:40 AM EDT
[#12]
I normally don't agree with anything types like Coulter or O'Reilly say, and I didn't listen to the "Nazi-style tactics used by the liberals" stuff, but this is exactly what they were talking about.

A conservative newspaper wants to raise donations from its readers and comes up with a fun, harmless way to do this and reward its readers at the same time, only to have liberals, who have not been antagonized in any way and have no affiliation with anyone involved, force their agenda on them and do everything in their power to disrupt the event.  Its only free speech if they agree with it and you only have the freedom to do what you want if it agrees with their Communist philosophy.  This really pisses me off.

People here have accused me of over-reacting on this sort of thing before, but based on their actions to this date, if they ever gain complete power, its going to be a short walk to the concentration camps.

By the way, you'll be getting a donation from me.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:00:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Post the dude's name that made you shut down the raffle!  AR15.com fire mission!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:02:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Post the dude's name that made you shut down the raffle!  AR15.com fire mission!

Better fire mission - send fundage to the Observer.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:04:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Better fire mission - send fundage to the Observer.

In true ARFCOM fashion......

you know it's coming.......
wait for it...........
DO BOTH!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:13:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I contacted NRA, JPFO, GOA and KeepandBearArms.com

This plus a paypal contrib coming in.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:18:05 PM EDT
[#17]
tag
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:20:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Tag
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:51:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Point taken.  I'm still game!  The paper needs support, and wouldn't it just drive the Liberals nuts if the contest got much bigger for next year? Their protest would mean about as much as a warm dogpile, and they'd wonder where the hell the money was coming from...

The big deal was when a student came by today - who i will gladly name and give contact information for should anybody want it - and took about 5 of our sign-up sheets and just proceeded to fill out 200+ slots for tickets. When we got fed-up we shut it down before he could demand the tickets explicitly but we dont know what to do.

Better yet, give us the email addresses of every liberal scumbag who complained about the contest!  I think it is time for the Clemson Libbies to feel our power!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:00:14 PM EDT
[#20]
BTT for a good cause!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:34:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I IM Cam at NRANEWS.com
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:35:41 PM EDT
[#22]
MONEY makes the world go round, people.

Get out the credit cards and visit Paypal.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:35:42 PM EDT
[#23]
yup, the Orange and Blue Observer at UIllinois has raffled off the following:
An AK47
Three 9mm pistols (something cheap I forget what it was)
Two 12 guage shotguns.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:24:40 PM EDT
[#24]
You guys are something else. I lost faith in humanity for about an hour when I realized how much these few people had screwed everything up for the rest of us. Then I signed back on here and saw how much you all have given to us and some of you have passed word on to other organizations who could help us out. I felt again that people are good and these individuals are such a minority and i hope to never associate with any of them again. I can't understand how they would think like they do and under what auspices they could possibly tell themselves it wasnt just plain wrong.

Anyway, know that we're all over the media - local and national - and that we're working as hard as we can to make sure this ends well.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:56:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Is Absolute a part of this?? Didn't he go to Clemson?

Anyway a big CONGRATs to this kid.

I would have love to see this done at the Liberal PC college I went to.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:57:30 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
You guys are something else. I lost faith in humanity for about an hour when I realized how much these few people had screwed everything up for the rest of us. Then I signed back on here and saw how much you all have given to us and some of you have passed word on to other organizations who could help us out. I felt again that people are good and these individuals are such a minority and i hope to never associate with any of them again. I can't understand how they would think like they do and under what auspices they could possibly tell themselves it wasnt just plain wrong.

Anyway, know that we're all over the media - local and national - and that we're working as hard as we can to make sure this ends well.

TigerEhre,
 You will find that the group of people here on AR15.com is one of the most generous groups of people you will cross paths with.  We are not afraid to give until it hurts, especially when it comes to our First and Second Amendment rights.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:23:06 PM EDT
[#27]
BTT
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:57:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Saw the article in the local paper today, signed on here (new member), and couldn't believe the response!
How's this for a twist? For the first time in my 40+ years as a Gamecock fan, I'm going to happily send money in the direction of Clemson. hock.gif Money will be sent Friday (payday).
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:02:55 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Saw the article in the local paper today, signed on here (new member), and couldn't believe the response!
How's this for a twist? For the first time in my 40+ years as a Gamecock fan, I'm going to happily send money in the direction of Clemson. Money will be sent Friday (payday).

Good on you!

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:29:12 PM EDT
[#30]
BT the Frickin T!
Btw, not all liberals hate guns. I hesitate to classify myself as a liberal, as I agree and disagree with points on both sides but the way these assholes are going about to ruin this fundraiser is ridiculous. Oh yeah in case you were wondering Guns rule!
-jls7
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:40:43 PM EDT
[#31]
link to the paper in question....

http://www.thetigernews.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2006/02/17/43f48fd2ecf98
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:44:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Donation on the way...

Also... news video clip about the raffle www.wltx.com/news/news19.aspx?storyid=35613
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:47:40 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Donation on the way...

Also... news video clip about the raffle www.wltx.com/news/news19.aspx?storyid=35613

Hmmmm, surprisingly unbiased, from what I could tell.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:54:37 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

"I think there are other ways to celebrate the Second Amendment without auctioning off a rifle," she said.

Perhaps they think a cannned ham would better symbolize the Second Amendment.

OMG!      

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:52:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Hey guys,

Just wanted to let everyone know that emails of support continue to literally POUR in from across the country. Unfortunately, more than half of them are still wanting to know how they can buy tickets. We're still in the market for any type of legal advice since we dont really know much about the intracacies of the laws or how to interpret them, but any help you guys can provide will go a long way to assisting us defeat this extreme minority's attempt to force their views on everyone else.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:10:42 AM EDT
[#36]
This is the coolest raffle EVER.  Whether or not you can sell us tickets probably will not be a factor as much as the praise, posivite comments, and even money this board/group of people will give to support you and the school.  Great job.
PS...Can I buy a ticket!!!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:29:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Tagging in. Don't have time to read the whole thread this morning but I want to be part of this.

EXCELLENT work!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:59:27 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Hey guys,

Just wanted to let everyone know that emails of support continue to literally POUR in from across the country. Unfortunately, more than half of them are still wanting to know how they can buy tickets. We're still in the market for any type of legal advice since we dont really know much about the intracacies of the laws or how to interpret them, but any help you guys can provide will go a long way to assisting us defeat this extreme minority's attempt to force their views on everyone else.

Tag for paypal later.  Try asking in the SC Hometown forum, hopefully we have a SC attorney or you can be pointed toward someone.  Depending upon SC laws, the earlier idea of giving a raffle ticket away with the purchase of bumper sticker might be worth investigating.

You might also consider mentioning that an ineligible person attempting to obtain a firearm is committing a federal felony.  Might make the potheads think twice.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:09:23 AM EDT
[#39]
I say next year the raffle includes a .50 Barrett rifle.  That'll really get the grabber's panties in a bunch!  I can hear it now: "Noooo! Not a jetliner downing, helicopter busting, chemical traincar destroying, terrorist's weapon of choice! Save the children!" or some other idiotic grabber rhetoric like that.

We gotta keep donating! A single shot Barrett M99 costs almost $4K!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:13:21 AM EDT
[#40]
y not sell 5$ cookies and "include" a FREE ticket?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:08:31 AM EDT
[#41]
b
u
m
p
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:39:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Run the Raffle as a FUNDRAISER for CHARITY (or for some non-profit organization - your paper IS a non-profit organization, right?) Then you can require participants to PURCHASE an  entry. Charity and Welfare don't mix (but they would have been good names if Sonny & Cher had more kids)
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:42:03 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
y not sell 5$ cookies and "include" a FREE ticket?

That's the way right way there. Raffles are ilegal in Mississippi as well, this is how we got around it in college.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:57:55 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I say next year the raffle includes a .50 Barrett rifle.  That'll really get the grabber's panties in a bunch!  I can hear it now: "Noooo! Not a jetliner downing, helicopter busting, chemical traincar destroying, terrorist's weapon of choice! Save the children!" or some other idiotic grabber rhetoric like that.

We gotta keep donating! A single shot Barrett M99 costs almost $4K!

Dont forget to include an FN 5.7 pistol.  I love seeing this stuff.  

Fortunately GT was a fairly conservative school when I was there.  I mean come on, the peace rally just after 9/11 to protest going to war an Afganistan was drowned out by the "war rally" across the sidewalk. The peaceniks had about 70, we had something to the order of 400.

As much as I am bound by my status as an GT alum to hate Clemson with firey and undying pasion, I will be donating to the paper.

Is there a way to donate not through paypal?  Check, money order?

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:29:27 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
As much as I am bound by my status as an GT alum to hate Clemson with firey and undying pasion, I will be donating to the paper.

There certainly is. You can mail checks to:

The Tiger Town Observer
315 Hendrix Center
Clemson, SC 29634

We would be forever in your debt. If your name and address is on the check (as I'm sure it is) we'll add you to our subscription list and start getting issues out to you ASAP.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:39:03 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
As much as I dislike Clemson, I have to give him and the University an attaboy for supporting it.

Yep, the UGA administration would probably be going ballistic on this.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:43:57 PM EDT
[#47]
And just to update everybody on today's events:

It was our third day out on campus and even though we shut down all further entries into the drawing, we wanted to be out on campus where we had told everyone we would be so that we could explain why we weren't accepting further entries and offer to accept donations to further press the cause and gain funds for buying guns for the next raffle that we of better quality and reputation than the AK style rifle.

We heard from an NRA lawyer who kind of laid out all our options for the future and also told us of a bill that is in committee right now in the SC legislature that would legalize what we're trying to to do. We also got a SC legislator to enter into the drawing before we shut it down yesterday and he's also agreed to come out to the drawing tomorrow and be on campus to lend his support to us. We're going to make sure he uses all of his support in the legislature to get the mentioned bill out of committee and on the floor (gotta love election years).

Also, the student who tried to fill out hundreds of entries but didnt get any tickets because we managed to shut it down first has decided that (s)he really wants to win, so he's threatening legal action to get his tickets even though, from our standpoint, he hasn't a leg to stand on. The disgust that has been expressed by community members and students has been overwhelming. We had an older gentleman drive all the way from a neighboring town to support us and donate. It's unbelievable.

Most importantly, the group that protested us yesterday failed to make an appearance next to us today because they knew we had shut down. Incidentally, one of them stopped by and actually tried to convince me that their aim was not to shut us down or to rig the drawing in their favor or some such nonsense, but when asked why they werent out here then, she couldnt really answer and left.

Its been so great. We made so much revenue from folks who decided just to donate to us out of the kindness of their hearts. the positive response is literally almost too much for us to believe and we are in debt to all of you who support and have donated to us. We're going to make this happen again and ensure that the abuse we've seen doesnt occur again and we'll be sure and let you know when it will be and how to enter.

Thanks so much.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:45:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Got any links to any media stories on this.  I would like to check them out.

BTW, check enroute to physical address listed.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:58:43 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There certainly is. You can mail checks to:

The Tiger Town Observer
315 Hendrix Center
Clemson, SC 29634

We would be forever in your debt. If your name and address is on the check (as I'm sure it is) we'll add you to our subscription list and start getting issues out to you ASAP.

Check is on its way.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:31:08 PM EDT
[#50]
How do we get in touch with AR15.com webmaster/admins to let them know we'll give them free adspace for all the generous donations of its members?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top