Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 11:28:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like it was caused by China's "house of cards" stock market.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 11:29:30 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Hey, it is only down -337 now .

My 401K is now a 400.5K

Looks like it might gain a little back before closing.  Might even get under -250.  Or not.

tomorrow will be interesting.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 11:30:21 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Buying Opportunity.

i'm not sure, might be more than a correction going on.

Doesn't matter.  I'd feel the hurt if the market tanked, certainly, but I believe in the United States, its people, and its economy and I would see the market bottoming out as an opportunity to pump every dollar I could into the market.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 11:34:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The only difference is that we can print money faster and turn the market off.  It is what it is when you become a nation that doesn't make anything and imports far more than it exports.

None of that matters....

There's no money in making things - just designing, promoting and selling/servicing....

Link Posted: 2/27/2007 11:54:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

You mean their fake capitalistic system.  Hopefully china hits the crapper soon.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 11:56:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Ummm, it's still well over 12K. This looks like a slight dip in the road not a gigantic pothole like the media is hyping.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 12:00:03 PM EDT
[#7]
IOW... good stocks are going on sale.

Low-Low prices!

Blue Chips, Nasdaq, S&P500 - even the Small and Midcap stocks!

Prices are falling in all departments!

Sale ends soon!

Get'em while they're hot!

Link Posted: 2/27/2007 12:00:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Buying opportunity.  Dollar cost averaging is your friend.  I did take it on the chin few a few percent.  However, I was up over 5 percent YTD.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 12:42:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, that was a fun ride.  My account is about 5K lighter now.

Meh, I'll gain it back.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 12:51:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The only difference is that we can print money faster and turn the market off.  It is what it is when you become a nation that doesn't make anything and imports far more than it exports.

None of that matters....

There's no money in making things - just designing, promoting and selling/servicing....

While it is true we import more than we export, the US is still by far the largest manufacturer in the world. The value of goods manufactured in 2005 exceeded the size of the entire GDP of any other nation in the world that year. Bigger than Japan. More than twice the size of the Chinese total GDP. Adjusted for inflation, we manufacture higher total value in the US today than we did 35 years ago. Or 50 years ago. Or 100 years ago. You name the year during the "Golden Age of US Manufacturing" and we manufacture more today than we did then.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 12:56:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

None of that matters....

While it is true we import more than we export, the US is still by far the largest manufacturer in the world. The value of goods manufactured in 2005 exceeded the size of the entire GDP of any other nation in the world that year. Bigger than Japan. More than twice the size of the Chinese total GDP. Adjusted for inflation, we manufacture higher total value in the US today than we did 35 years ago. Or 50 years ago. Or 100 years ago. You name the year during the "Golden Age of US Manufacturing" and we manufacture more today than we did then.

Would that make this the Platinum Age of US Manufacturing, then?
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 12:57:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Buying opportunity.  Dollar cost averaging is your friend.  I did take it on the chin few a few percent.  However, I was up over 5 percent YTD.

Amen.  In fact this is good timing for me.  I am very long in the S&P500 index funds and I usually make my (after-tax) investments around the 1st of every month.   Gonna put in my monthly order tonight or tomorrow.  

Buy low, sell high.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 12:57:45 PM EDT
[#13]
DUPE,  I beat ya by two minutes.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=551601
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 12:58:04 PM EDT
[#14]

I've been 80% cash for about 6 weeks & waiting for a 10%-15% correction.  Hopefully this good news will continue for another 4 or 5 days.

BTW, any other contrarians out there?
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 12:59:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
greenspan

RETIRED last year.  Ben Bernanke is the current chief.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 1:04:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
DUPE,  I beat ya by two minutes.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=551601

Better check the times again fella....

This one started this morning.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 1:06:05 PM EDT
[#17]
It will soon be a buyer's market.  Sell off, bitches.  No need for nancy-boys in a man's world.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 1:07:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
It will soon be a buyer's market.  Sell off, bitches.  No need for nancy-boys in a man's world.

I buy on the 1st of the month....maybe it will drop another 416 tomorrow?
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 1:22:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Meh, market is overpriced anyways. Needs to drop another 600-1000 points.

However, sooner or later, credit will dry up and the correction will be long term. Don't think the American people are at this point yet tho. Interest rates NEED to go up tho and it won't happen because the feds are scared of what'll happen.

It'll happen sooner or later, and the later it happens, the harder it'll be.

I sold a bunch of stuff yesterday, did not think it was going to happen THIS soon but I knew a correction was coming.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 1:33:06 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Meh, market is overpriced anyways. Needs to drop another 600-1000 points.

However, sooner or later, credit will dry up and the correction will be long term. Don't think the American people are at this point yet tho. Interest rates NEED to go up tho and it won't happen because the feds are scared of what'll happen.

I sold a bunch of stuff yesterday, did not think it was going to happen THIS soon but I knew a correction was coming.

correction.. yes.. down 10 percent or more before this trend is over. i posted all this on the other thread. i wouldna buy now. i would wait. expect the long term trend to start down. expect very choppy trading, up and down with lots of skittish volume.

nancy boys or full growd adult man-fools.. time to be in cash and on the sidelines..

i think that there has been a bit of anxiety about how much the market has gone up over the last year or so..

so yesterday.. the master sage greenspan says 'recession at end of year'. and today, china gets in and dorks the market because all of the chinamen are borrowing on their homes and investing in the pretty over-valued chinese stock market. down goes the chinese market and with it just about every other market in the world.

btw, not only did stocks go down, but so did commodities. gold and silver went down, copper. and the volume was huge..

i expect this to be a period of correction.. perhaps as much as ten percent. and to last several months.. and it may take a few days/weeks for this to become apparent..

i think the market went down 540 points at one point.. thats a lot...

but.. is better to take off some of the froth now, than have it continue to go up up up and then have a really bad fall.. and i think thats what the big dogs wanted and got with todays action....
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 1:36:07 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I'm gonna be losing a good chunk of change today.

Only if you sell!
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 1:39:17 PM EDT
[#22]
This ain’t sh*t… Anybody remember October 19, 1987.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 1:39:36 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
greenspan

Yeah, but AG predicted a recession yesterday.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 1:40:34 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean their fake capitalistic system.  Hopefully china hits the crapper soon.

Neal Cavuto was talking about this last summer about how China's economy has no safeguards like ours does and the Chicom Govt releases virtually no figures on their economy so no one can guage the health of their market/economy.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 1:59:27 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

100% right on.

Freddie Mac announced a tightening of requirements for subprime housing loans they'll buy.  That's going to start to kill off the stupid neg-am, 0 down, interest-only, and other goofy instruments people have been using to buy houses they can't afford.  When all of the subprime borrowers can no longer get those dumb loans, that'll help the housing market to correct.  And when the existing subprime loans start to go bad in earnest, we should see more of a market drop... someone is holding the bag for a trillion or two in shaky home loans, and that someone is going to feel a sharp stabbing pain in the rectal area.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 2:07:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
the Chicom Govt releases virtually no figures on their economy so no one can guage the health of their market/economy.

Actually the problem is exactly the opposite. China has a reputation for putting out dubious statistics about its economy. Many of their key officials cook the books in order to entice foreign investors and lenders. A lot of people have complained about the accuracy of their economic numbers. China has also been known to overestimate their GDP growth rate in order to lure foreign capital. At other times however they've intentionally underestimated growth to create the impression that the economy wasn't overheating. They fudge the numbers to suit their needs. Even their top leaders have acknowledged the problems with the integrity of their data. Back in 2000, China's former premier Zhu Ronji even admitted that their economy suffered from "falsifications."
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:30:00 PM EDT
[#27]
btt
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:33:43 PM EDT
[#28]
anyone know how China's markets are doing tonight?
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:34:05 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
greenspan

No kidding, but people still pull an EF Hutton everytime he even mutters a word.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:35:30 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

not good.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:37:12 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Not well.

And the rest of the SE Asia/Pacific markets are down another 2.5 - 3 percent.

Asian Stocks Falling for 2nd Day

The bloodletting continued when trading began in Asia on Wednesday. Australia’s benchmark S&P/ASX200 index slumped 3.45 percent in the first 30 minutes of trading. In Japan, the Nikkei 225 stock index fell 693.50 points, or 3.83 percent, to 17,426.42 points on the Tokyo Stock Exchange about 20 minutes after the start of trade. New Zealand’s stock market fell more than 3 percent in hectic trading early Wednesday.

Asia Pacific & Australia Markets

Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:39:25 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

None of that matters....

We didn't define fast food assembly lines or prep kitchens as manufacturing back then.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:40:20 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not well.

And the rest of the SE Asia/Pacific markets are down another 2.5 - 3 percent.

Asian Stocks Falling for 2nd Day

Asia Pacific & Australia Markets

Nice links. there, its all over T.V. also.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:43:22 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

not good.

Live streaming quotes on the live steaming pile:

finance.yahoo.com/intlindices?e=asia

Doesn't look good for Old Yeller, Timmy.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:44:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Old yellers already done shot and buried man.

Timmy's got a DEER now, and he keeps eating the crops!!! Dont look good for him either!
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:48:06 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

They're now up a quarter of a percent. We'll see how it goes after their market reopens after lunch.

cn.finance.yahoo.com/
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:52:06 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They're now up a quarter of a percent. We'll see how it goes after their market reopens after lunch.

cn.finance.yahoo.com/

The Shanghai index will stay at the current level as long as the PBoC continues to buy blue chip stocks and prop the market up.  All the other markets including the S. Korean, Nikkei, and Singapore markets are all down at least 3%.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:53:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Biggest heist in the world $632,000,000,000 just diasappeared. Good old fashioned con game, prop up the  mark use the money then make it disappear.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:55:31 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

cn.finance.yahoo.com/

The Shanghai index will stay at the current level as long as the PBoC continues to buy blue chip stocks and prop the market up.  All the other markets including the S. Korean, Nikkei, and Singapore markets are all down at least 3%.

thats what i thought also, just propping there stocks up, wont last forever.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:58:55 PM EDT
[#40]
I've never understood stocks, one day things are all chummy and the DOW is up 150 then the next day, somewhere they get a figure that just all of sudden was released that day and down goes the DOW 300 points. I'm sure if I knew anything about the economy and finance it would make sense, but it just perplexes me.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:01:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Read "Patriots"  
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:04:59 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

cn.finance.yahoo.com/

Actually, the Asian markets are now participating in the plunge started yesterday in China. Even India didn't react much to the plunge yesterday but should get twacked big today.

I wouldn't be surprised if China ends up or nearly flat today. A 9% haircut brings out the buy-the-dip types although the smart money may sell into a rally.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:34:50 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
eh, it is the Truth, ive expected some major downing of the stock market for a while now, we'll see what happens.

Based on your technical analysis?

Not everyone here is an accoutant markm
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 5:06:05 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

None of that matters....

We didn't define fast food assembly lines or prep kitchens as manufacturing back then.

We still don't.
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 5:21:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 6:02:01 AM EDT
[#46]
The economy is tanking?  Hmmm, wonder why.  Could it be that the Dems are in charge again and the free market that this country's economy is based on is nervous that taxes will go through the roof?
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 6:08:32 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

100% right on.

Freddie Mac announced a tightening of requirements for subprime housing loans they'll buy.  That's going to start to kill off the stupid neg-am, 0 down, interest-only, and other goofy instruments people have been using to buy houses they can't afford.  When all of the subprime borrowers can no longer get those dumb loans, that'll help the housing market to correct.  And when the existing subprime loans start to go bad in earnest, we should see more of a market drop... someone is holding the bag for a trillion or two in shaky home loans, and that someone is going to feel a sharp stabbing pain in the rectal area.

I sure hope so. I've been patiently waiting in a home that is well under my income level for the housing market to correct so I can jump on a nice place in the country with some land.

Either that, or until I can save up enough down payment to buy a nice place in the country. I don't need a huge home, but I want land. And a house with land is ridiculous in most areas of the country right now, thanks (in part) to so many of the stupid lending instruments out there right now.
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 6:15:56 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Down 137 a few minutes ago.

Burn baby burn!
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 6:17:38 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
The economy is tanking?  Hmmm, wonder why.  Could it be that the Dems are in charge again and the free market that this country's economy is based on is nervous that taxes will go through the roof?

/Al gore/  That's metarded!  /Al Gore/

got nothing to do with the Democrats.  Sure, they can fuck stuff up, but they haven't done anything yet.

read the rest of the thread.  China's economy took a dump and we all followed.
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 6:38:31 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Biggest heist in the world $632,000,000,000 just diasappeared. Good old fashioned con game, prop up the  mark use the money then make it disappear.

+1

The globalists get richer everyday.  
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top