BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:40:07 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So  what kind of ammo was Beer_Slayer  using

Looked like an old batch of Q3131 ...not Q3131A.

How do you figure that?

Quoted:

Quoted:
Was this new Q3131 or the late 90s stuff?  

new. unless it's been sitting around for a long time in a warehouse somewhere. from what the email said it sounds like just a defective or weak case.

Quoted:
my head stamps are wcc03. <just looked>

So that is WCC'03 (2003 production brass)  While TBS hasnt come forward with specifics and lot numbers (if he has those) almost all of the 2003 WCC is Q3131A, made in Israel.  Certainly not "an old batch" by any means.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:44:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I would like to see the upgrade when you get it just to see how they have strengthed the upper. I really really wanted one but only if they upgrade the upper's strength somehow or at least find a way to force the bolt and carrier to stay attached during a problem like this.

Hi-point also offers this kind of warranty
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:03:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
all i really want is for them to review the gun. if it was an ammo failure no problem i'll go to them for reimbursement if need be. What i am more concerned about was the way the gun failed. they are VERY concerned about that and if it results in a change great. Keltec so far has been standup about it all.

while injury was certanly possible with this, i have no intentions of suing. Sometimes bad things just happen. the only thing the legal system would accomplish is harming a US manufacturer that no matter what you think about their product DOES stand by it and its customers. Until they prove otherwise i will still stand by their company.

Wish there were more people out there like you...glad you're OK.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:18:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:41:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Think they will fix it twice if you finish off that ammo and blow this one up?

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:11:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Tag, and IATL too, just for good measure.

That's some damm good customer service. I'm not really interested in that particular gun, but I just might get one of their SUB2000 carbines to go with my P11, and maybe a P32 or P3AT too.

FWIW, I was having some reliability problems with my P11 a few years back, mostly frequent jamming with Winchester White Box 9mm. I took it to the Kel-Tec shop in person (I was going through the area on a trip home), and they installed a new extractor, and a new grip frame too for free. That greatly reduced the failures, and switching away from WWB eliminated the rest of them.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:24:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Damn.  that seems to be the Kel Tec story...

"Uh, it's a great gun, I only had to send it back to the factory twice, but they fixed it right up.  Boy! what great customer service."

"Every time it breaks or I have to get it fixed, they are SOOO responsive!"

"Never any trouble in getting it to them and back again, I've done it three or four times.  Fantastic customer service!"

I always thought great customer service started with building a gun that worked right out of the box, had everything put together right when you got it, and didn't blow up with normal use.

Maybe it's just me...
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:29:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Damn.  that seems to be the Kel Tec story...

"Uh, it's a great gun, I only had to send it back to the factory twice, but they fixed it right up.  Boy! what great customer service."

"Every time it breaks or I have to get it fixed, they are SOOO responsive!"

"Never any trouble in getting it to them and back again, I've done it three or four times.  Fantastic customer service!"

I always thought great customer service started with building a gun that worked right out of the box, had everything put together right when you got it, and didn't blow up with normal use.

Maybe it's just me...

Every sub-2000 and SU16 review or owner's comment I have read say they just keep running and running  like the energizer bunny. I don't know about their pistol line but based on feedback from owners I would have no qualms owning either one of these carbines by KelTec.

They are on my short buy list.
FWIW the only Glock I have owned, a G17, was one of the most malfunction prone pistols I have ever owned. I routinely hear about issues with Beretta Pistols and Springfield 1911s and M1As.
Does that make them all crap?

Any firearm can blow up with a bad cartridge.

Sounds like you had your mind made up before Beer_Slayer posted anything about it.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:39:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a sub 2k that I have put well over 10k thru it and it shoots fine everytime. I have killed more feral cats than you can count and a host of other  critters with it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:08:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Is the KT rated for 5.56?

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:24:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:57:57 PM EDT
[#13]
yes, it is rated for 5.56

they even say 5.56 on the side of the receiver.

The original SU-16 rifles said .223 on the side but they were always rated for 5.56 also and now they say 5.56 on the receiver.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:00:59 PM EDT
[#14]
See what happens when you bump-fire underwater?  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:49:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
HOLD OFF on purchasing.

mine suffered a catastrophic failure with winchester whitebox ammo today. upper reciever completely disentigrated and bolt was found about 20' behind me. Had i been a few inches higher on the bore it would be in my forhead right now.

pics and info sent to kel-tec. waiting to hear back from them. will post pics after hearing from kel-tec. My initial thought is it fired out of battery but i will await their information.

Classic case of weak brass.  The Kel Tec has a lock-up similar to an AR15/M16 and there is a generous radius on the mouth of the chamber.  This is fine if the brass has sufficient web height BUT there has been brass that has a thin web and this makes for an unsupported chamber...normally the web is right in the middle of this radius and there is no problem.

The extractor damage is a dead giveaway.  I would recommend noting the lot of ammo and recover the brass that had no damage.  From the round count, you can estimate the statistics for pulling down the correct number of rounds.  Using calipers and a .220" rod, 2.000" long, measure the thickness of the webs.  Anything less than 0.170" is suspect...with the 2.000" gauge rod, the overall length should be 2.170" minimum.  I hope this isn't the norm for WWB.

Hate to beat my own drum but I told you so.  All the Kel Tec haters and overpressure theorists were proved wrong.
All it takes is a little too much extrusion on the case forming operation to cause a thin web.  The material gets drawn into the case walls, making it hard to measure by weight but somehow the web thickness measurement got overlooked.  Happened to Federal American Eagle in 1999.  Too bad it happened to Winchester.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:15:26 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
update from Kel-tec

Based on the weak case tests we did on the PLR, the Bolt carrier was modified in order to reduce the possible damage to the receiver caused by a ruptured case. Every new PLR16 has this modification, including your replacement PLR. Even without this modification, Kel-Tec stands behind the safety of the PLR-16. A case rupture is not a common occurrence.

Did Kel-Tec say what the serial number range of the modified PLRs are?  I'd still like to get one but would like to know which ones have the modified carrier.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:26:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Sounds Good
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:35:39 AM EDT
[#18]
I've been considering one of these.

How well would a forged aluminum reciever fair with a similar failure?

I know the reason for the plastic is cost, however ammo can and does fail, not really a good choice of materials when you consider the potential for bodily harm if something went wrong.

I have a Sub2000 and like it alot. We've seen that the customer service is great, they can replace your gun can they replace your eye?

Seeing that gun in pieces really makes me re-think holding plastic next to my face, especially the fact it may need to tame 55,000 psi. If a metal gun would have had the same effect,( I don't know either way), than my statements are kinda void I guess.

And the guy who posted the speed in flight, maybe I missed something. Question how can you figure flight speed just on distance of travel? to be accurate would you need mass as well? Not a dig, just an honest question.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:33:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I still want one......
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:54:27 PM EDT
[#20]

I still want one......

I don't blame you. This thing absolutely rocks. Got about 500 rounds thru mine and it screams.
People at the range are in denial[
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:10:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:14:29 AM EDT
[#22]
wow.  Been looking for a small-frame auto for my wife.  I think I've made my decision.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:15:57 AM EDT
[#23]

Awesome!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:19:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:24:52 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

heres the new pic....

Hard to believe they are both considered pistols.  Kinda like Pomeranians and Mastiffs both being canines.

Great service.  Nice to see a responsive and responsible company.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:52:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Glad to see it got resolved
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:12:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
well i got the replacement today. not only did they rebuild the gun they tossed in the forgrip and install the muzzel break for my troubles. Not only that i had sent in my p3at for some minor work in the same box. Not only was it returned with this one <2-3 day turn around> it was replaced with a NEW current genration p3at.

All i can honestky say is wow. These folks went WAY above and beyond what i would have ever expected them to do. I am greatful for all they have done. I still have not made up my mind to kepp the .223. i will be a keltec customer for life and will let everyone that asks know about my experience with them.

heres the new pic....

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=44665

Just fucking cool.

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:15:36 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
well i got the replacement today. not only did they rebuild the gun they tossed in the forgrip and install the muzzel break for my troubles. Not only that i had sent in my p3at for some minor work in the same box. Not only was it returned with this one <2-3 day turn around> it was replaced with a NEW current genration p3at.

All i can honestky say is wow. These folks went WAY above and beyond what i would have ever expected them to do. I am greatful for all they have done. I still have not made up my mind to kepp the .223. i will be a keltec customer for life and will let everyone that asks know about my experience with them.

heres the new pic....

Just fucking cool.

Could not say it better my self!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:21:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Now that's amazing.  Could you imagine how different your contact with them could have gone if you hadn't been as patient with them?  You were nice to them, and they were amazing in their response to you.  Congrats on the upgrades.

I'm looking at getting a PLR16 now, mostly because of your experience with them, but also because that thing looks wicked.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:22:03 PM EDT
[#30]
TBS:

Can you see any differences in the bolt carrier with respect to gas venting?  If you could post photos of those parts, I think many here would find them to be of interest.

I've shot the P3AT and agree that as with most recoil operated .380 pistols, recoil is a sum bitch.

Point of fact, my favorite .380 is an old Spanish "Model S" gun that uses the swinging link locked breach.  Its overkill to lock the breach on a .380, but in so doing they were able to go with a much lighter slide, and the recoil is more of a rolling push than a snapping kick.  

Still, i like the way the p3at feels and with this kind of customer services, well, can't beat it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:26:45 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
So  what kind of ammo was Beer_Slayer  using

Looked like an old batch of Q3131 ...not Q3131A.

How do you figure that?

Er.... you were in the thread?

here's the paste..

Quoted:

Quoted:
recieved an email from keltecs engineer today.

this was an ammo failure. they were able to determine the bolt was in batery and locked upprior to failure. <how i don't know>.

i was told to expect a NEW pistol by mid next week. Pretty damn good turn around if you ask me. Other manufacturers could learn a few things about service from these guys.

mike

So how common is it for factory Winchester White box ammo to kaboom the shit out of a gun?  Not saying it cant happen, just never heard of it.  

What specific white box round was it?

And have you/are you talking to Winchester?

q3131 as i recall the box is still in the car. I was waiting to hear back from keltec before i contacted them. per keltec it was a case failure and didn't appear to be an overcharge.  either way it was one hell of a catastrophic failure. I know i have had blown primers with winchester in my ar's in the past and was one reason i quit shooting it in them.  

for the record i pulled and weighted the other rounds and they were all very consistant.

mike

According to the ammo oracle:

Q3131 is the U.S.-manufactured Winchester M193, but since 2000 (and coinciding with the transition at the Lake City plant which left it shut down), Winchester's M193/Q3131 ammo has all gone to the military.  Due to the demand during the Y2K scare, Winchester had subcontracted some of its civilian M193 production to IMI.  Winchester has continued this contract, and the IMI-produced ammo is labeled Q3131A by Winchester.

So, if it was Q3131..either a) it was pre-2000, or b) it wasn't Q3131 at all, in which case the quoted lines above are incorrect, either faulty information was relayed, or whatever.

Edited to fix quoting..
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:34:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:36:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Dumb Question....is this gun chambered in 5.56mm or .223?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:40:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:40:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:43:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Props to TBS for the way he handled this whole matter.  I have no dog in this fight (ok so I own a P3AT, so maybe I have a little dog ) I see WAY too many people spout off garbage re. manufacturers, products, dealers, members before looking at the situation other than from their own biased perspective.  

Great  job TBS for providing info, answers and updates with class in a very public forum.

Props also to the manufacturer for checking into the issue and taking care of the customer.  

ETA - good use for post 666
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:55:07 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
So, if it was Q3131..either a) it was pre-2000

Nope. I quoted the year produced in the post you just quoted.  

or b) it wasn't Q3131 at all, in which case the quoted lines above are incorrect, either faulty information was relayed, or whatever.

Exactly.... many people call Q3131A "q3131" generically, and leave off the "A".  And I quoted where it specifically said this was 2003 headstamp.

Therefore..... it wasn't Q3131, it was Q3131A.  And it wasnt an "old" lot.  2003 stuff is pretty fresh.  So it definitely wasnt the bad batch of 1999 deomostic Q3131.... which is all I was trying to make sure was clear.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:01:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Wow, I dont think any company could have handled this better than Kel Tec did. I admire that greatly. I do love my little P11.... And I know one of the .223 pistols will end up in my safe soon enough...
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:49:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Sweet.  Did you notice any difference in the internal parts?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:01:02 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

And the guy who posted the speed in flight, maybe I missed something. Question how can you figure flight speed just on distance of travel? to be accurate would you need mass as well? Not a dig, just an honest question.

velocity is distance/time, mass is not a factor. The time is determined from the inital height the gun was held. Of course his estimates are just rough calulations. To get an accurate result you would need to know the angle the piece left at, in relation to the deck. Mass is needed if acceleration is what you were trying to find
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:08:19 PM EDT
[#41]
tag
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:20:26 PM EDT
[#42]
I am very glad you were not hurt.  

After having  gone through having to send a gun back to the maker before myself, customer service is now a top criterion in any future purchase (in my case it was a P99 and S&W/WA made the whole experience less painful than returning a bag of grapes to the supermarket; they are great too and went above and beyond).  

Very nice to hear that KEL-TEC treats their customers this way.   Companies that stand behind their products are harder and harder to come by these days, it is refreshing that some gun makers are taking the lead.

PLRinmypocket , is KEL-TEC going to get the PLR-16 Maryland certified?  I would like to buy one
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:24:46 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

heres the new pic....

Just fucking cool.

Could not say it better my self!

+1
I am glad it all worked out so well.
Keltec sounds like they know how to treat customers. Some other people in the industry should be taking notes.

ARH
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:31:09 PM EDT
[#44]
cool

I would update the tread title to somethijng more postive if it was me
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:16:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:37:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:42:20 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
HOLD OFF on purchasing.

mine suffered a catastrophic failure with winchester whitebox ammo today. upper reciever completely disentigrated and bolt was found about 20' behind me. Had i been a few inches higher on the bore it would be in my forhead right now.

pics and info sent to kel-tec. waiting to hear back from them. will post pics after hearing from kel-tec. My initial thought is it fired out of battery but i will await their information.

Classic case of weak brass.  The Kel Tec has a lock-up similar to an AR15/M16 and there is a generous radius on the mouth of the chamber.  This is fine if the brass has sufficient web height BUT there has been brass that has a thin web and this makes for an unsupported chamber...normally the web is right in the middle of this radius and there is no problem.

The extractor damage is a dead giveaway.  I would recommend noting the lot of ammo and recover the brass that had no damage.  From the round count, you can estimate the statistics for pulling down the correct number of rounds.  Using calipers and a .220" rod, 2.000" long, measure the thickness of the webs.  Anything less than 0.170" is suspect...with the 2.000" gauge rod, the overall length should be 2.170" minimum.  I hope this isn't the norm for WWB.

Hate to beat my own drum but I told you so.  All the Kel Tec haters and overpressure theorists were proved wrong.
All it takes is a little too much extrusion on the case forming operation to cause a thin web.  The material gets drawn into the case walls, making it hard to measure by weight but somehow the web thickness measurement got overlooked.  Happened to Federal American Eagle in 1999.  Too bad it happened to Winchester.

Yup.  You called it dead on.  

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:45:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Nice to see they did their due diligence.  Things will happen, its how you react to them that differentiates you from your competitor.  I own a p3at.  I'd consider owning one of these as well.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:49:56 AM EDT
[#49]
After I've bought the guns higher up on my list of stuff to buy, I think I'll spend some money on Kel-Tec's products based on reviews of their firearms and their customer service.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:29:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top