Link Posted: 12/25/2006 9:50:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh my God

I damn near shit myself laughing

My side hurts
Link Posted: 12/25/2006 9:55:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
They have successfully taught their kids how to deal with bees, now every time the kids see them, they'll want to kill them like Daddy did.

Link Posted: 12/25/2006 10:36:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I wonder what some small birdshot would have done to them.
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 2:27:05 PM EDT
[#4]
My Mama told  me,

"If you play with fire you'll wet the bed!"

Idiots!

Hessian-1
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 2:33:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh my God, that's awesome.
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 2:36:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I think soap and water kills/repels them easily enough?

That's some funny shit, though.
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 2:39:14 PM EDT
[#7]
that is great.
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 2:40:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Ah, an excellent example of good stewardship of the earth and its creatures.

ETA: Wait, never mind...that's one of the inconvenient, selectively ignored parts.
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 2:43:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

ETA: Wait, never mind...that's one of the inconvenient, selectively ignored parts.

????? Do you drive a car and kill thousand of bug a year with them smacking your windshield ??????

Link Posted: 12/26/2006 2:44:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I have nothing against bees but I'm not about to let them set up shop close to where my kids play.   It's just not going to happen.

CJ
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 2:44:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

????? Do you drive a car and kill thousand of bug a year with them smacking your windshield ??????

I don't kill them for fun or being an idiot (why am I dignifying this question with a response?  Do you really think that's the same?  The crazy face is perfect for you if you do)

ETA: Should I add a bunch of punctuation on either side of my text for emphasis or something?
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 2:48:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't kill them for fun or being an idiot (why am I dignifying this question with a response?  Do you really think that's the same?  The crazy face is perfect for you if you do)

ETA: Should I add a bunch of punctuation on either side of my text for emphasis or something?

Between killing them with fire, and killing them with a windshield, I like the former. It's more entertaining.
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 2:48:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Now take it easy. You were the one talking about selectivity. Remember, it's just the internet.

I'm not too sure these guys went out looking for bugs to kill for "fun" as you put it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 2:48:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 2:49:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Now, if my memory serves me right, here's what the lil redneck boys DON'T realize...

The bees that came OUT of the hole are only a fraction of what remains as they clump on a NEW queen that has been forced to leave the hive by the present queen. Thus, that swarm is a newbie and some workers that are out to establish a new colony. (Not sure if I am using the correct jargon) The original queen and her workers still remain within the walls of that house, and, potentially, another new swarm is just a season or two away.

TBK1 will wander in and provide an expert answer to this, the above merely represents what I "think" I remember about honey bee swarm behavior.
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 2:49:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have nothing against bees but I'm not about to let them set up shop close to where my kids play.   It's just not going to happen.

CJ

They weren't "setting up shop"--they were swarming, which means resting there until the scout bees find a permanent home.  Virtually harmless and not aggressive in the least.  Give them a day or two and they will be gone.  

Most people don't know honeybees are directly responsible for a full one-third of our food supply.  It's also a violation of federal law to kill them.  

Again--idjits.  

Hmm, so TBK, about how far will the scouts go to find a new location?
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 2:51:56 PM EDT
[#17]

I just pissed my pants.

Number of allied casualties (er, stings): 0
Number of bees killed: est. 10,000
Number of bee survivors: about 25 or so

FOR GREAT JUSTICE!  

Link Posted: 12/26/2006 2:54:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 2:55:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Why not just call a beekeeper?
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 3:00:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 3:03:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 3:03:19 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>

Hmm, so TBK, about how far will the scouts go to find a new location?

2-3 mile radius

WizardOfAhs, you're mostly spot on.  

The original colony is still in the house--with a NEW queen.  The swarm(s) are issued with the old queen (first one, called a "prime swarm") and any subsequent swarms to get the population to the desired level.  Each will establish a new colony.

Hmm, that's quite a distance for small things like that.

Would they fly this at like ground level like a RAF Tornado, or go higher? I've always wondered how high a mosquito, a housefly and a bee can actually fly.
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 3:06:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 3:08:58 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most people don't know honeybees are directly responsible for a full one-third of our food supply.  It's also a violation of federal law to kill them.  

Wow, I didn't know either of those facts. Has anyone ever been tried for killing honeybees? Does the law state a certain number can't be killed at once or is 1 enough to break the law on that?

I'm not aware of any arrests.  I'm sure the law would only deal with colonies or swarms--not individuals.  I've never researched the law--I've only read of the existence of a fed law in beekeeping journals.

Blackjack272, I have no clue, but I doubt they go very high.  I'd guess probably not much over 15-20' from my observations.  Honeybees are not strong fliers--at all.  They are more like a transport plane.  The "fighter jets" are hornets and most wasps, as they are carnivorous.  

Honey bees are like transport planes... That's got to be the best description of an insect I've ever heard.

I think this may be a good thread topic.. how high can so and so fly?
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 3:09:50 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That needs to be made into a movie...

"MOTHA FUCKIN BEES ON THE MOTHA FUCKIN SWING SET"

LMAO
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 3:14:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Hilarious
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 3:16:55 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/26/2006 3:17:36 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, I didn't know either of those facts. Has anyone ever been tried for killing honeybees? Does the law state a certain number can't be killed at once or is 1 enough to break the law on that?

I'm not aware of any arrests.  I'm sure the law would only deal with colonies or swarms--not individuals.  I've never researched the law--I've only read of the existence of a fed law in beekeeping journals.

Blackjack272, I have no clue, but I doubt they go very high.  I'd guess probably not much over 15-20' from my observations.  Honeybees are not strong fliers--at all.  They are more like a transport plane.  The "fighter jets" are hornets and most wasps, as they are carnivorous.  
That's a shame,I can't remember the last time I saw a wild honey bee colony.
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 3:18:31 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/26/2006 3:18:58 PM EDT
[#30]

I miss seeing honeybees.  Haven't seen a wild one in years.    

Beekeeper, are wild honeybees making a comeback?  

Link Posted: 12/26/2006 3:21:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 3:22:05 PM EDT
[#32]
I have enjoyed the drunken darwin presentation like most have, and am proud to say that I have never tried something that "extensive", though I have used gasoline to 'remove' mud-daubers in the past!  The county road crews used diesel . . ., sissys!  

My current neighbor has a hive only 5 feet from my yard.  Honey bees are great and harmless if you have a brain.  I also have a half gallon of honey he gave me from that hive and it's the best honey I've ever had!

Back on topic, my neighbor let his hive get overcrowded last year and they swarmed into one of my trees.  I would have loved to see it, nature is great.

That's why they left the house in the first post, overcrowding.  If they kill the nest in the house they will be stuck with a shitload of honeycomb stuck in the wall that will be a huge mess.  Best to let the bees manage it or plan a big teardown and remodel.
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 3:23:08 PM EDT
[#33]
I see honey bees all the time. Always have. What's this about them being almost extinct? I'm confused.

Link Posted: 12/26/2006 3:23:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 3:24:11 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Personally, I'd LOVE to have a good bee-hive around. Lots of good honey for a honey addict such as myself.

However, since reading comprehension is a lot art on ARFcom (always has been, apparently always will be...), from the link in the first post..............

The neighbor called a bee removal company and they said they wouldn't come out unless we paid a hefty fee, but he did recommend waiting until dark and go buy some stuff from Home Depot and squirt them with it and that should kill them off.

Spelling is dicey too.
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 3:25:30 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Personally, I'd LOVE to have a good bee-hive around. Lots of good honey for a honey addict such as myself.

However, since reading comprehension is a lot art on ARFcom (always has been, apparently always will be...), from the link in the first post..............

The neighbor called a bee removal company and they said they wouldn't come out unless we paid a hefty fee, but he did recommend waiting until dark and go buy some stuff from Home Depot and squirt them with it and that should kill them off.

I think the folks here were suggesting that he call a bee keeper, not a bee removal company. I'm guessing the bee keeper would take them for free, since they're useful to him.
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 3:26:40 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh no--the opposite.  We have a number of imported parasites which have all but wiped out HBs in North America--varroa mites, tracheal mites and small hive beetles.  They are barely hanging on, hence my outrage over this kind of BS.  

I would register on that site and try to educate the stupid shits but if I told him a colony still resides in the wall of the house he'd probably burn that down and then sue me.  

You owe me a new keyboard!!

Your probably right though.

Are you teaching your childrent to (I don't know if this is the right word but..) farm bees?  You know thats one sure way to help insure that there will continue to be competent people to look after the HBs.
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 3:26:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 3:27:45 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh no--the opposite.  We have a number of imported parasites which have all but wiped out HBs in North America--varroa mites, tracheal mites and small hive beetles.  They are barely hanging on, hence my outrage over this kind of BS.  

I would register on that site and try to educate the stupid shits but if I told him a colony still resides in the wall of the house he'd probably burn that down and then sue me.  

I was afraid of that
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 3:29:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 3:32:29 PM EDT
[#41]
I took down some wasps sorta like that once (not as impressive) almost burned my house down
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 3:32:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 3:34:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 3:35:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 3:35:52 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>  

<snip>

Are you teaching your children to (I don't know if this is the right word but..) farm bees?  You know that's one sure way to help insure that there will continue to be competent people to look after the HBs.

I have no children but I do what I can--speak in schools and for civic groups when asked, help any new beekeepers I encounter, etc.  

Have you seen much interest as far as #'s of up and coming BeeKeepers?   Tell me, is BKing more of a hobby then a career, or if one keeps a large enough # of swarms could a decent profit be had?  I know high quality honey is rather pricey.

Also, Is the honeycomb pure wax or is it edible?  I see some jars of honey come with the honeycomb inside (not to be found in the supermarket mind you, but the rural farmers..) and wondered if that was there to add to the flavor or help keep the flavor?
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 3:39:04 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Man thats pretty bad. Do you have a yard or lawn. If you do, sit out side for a couple of minutes and watch the clover blossums.

ETA: Then follow the bee.
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 3:40:00 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Ignorant people at their best The honeybee swarm is harmless and no threat to anything or anybody. All the IDIOTS had to do was pickup the phone and contact a BEEKEEPER to remove them at NO CHARGE. They're not rednecks, they're fucking idiots.
The Natural World is Doomed because of this kind of behavior. BTW, I am a Beekeeper by passion.

I would have done the same thing myself...

We need more honey bees in North America...

Killer bees are becoming a problem down south...
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 3:41:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 3:43:07 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Man thats pretty bad. Do you have a yard or lawn. If you do, sit out side for a couple of minutes and watch the clover blossums.

Wow, the whole fucking colony comes out?
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 3:43:34 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Due to the mites, I haven't had any surplus of honey to take in about five years.  A beekeeper who has to buy his own honey.  It sucks.  

Holy cow, no wonder you were pissed off. Seriously, I'm learning alot here.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top