Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 3:45:03 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>

Have you seen much interest as far as #'s of up and coming BeeKeepers?   Tell me, is BKing more of a hobby then a career, or if one keeps a large enough # of swarms could a decent profit be had?  I know high quality honey is rather pricey.

No, very few--it has never been popular since white sugar became cheap and easy to obtain.  There is NO money in it except for a very few families who work very hard for a modest income.  They make their money renting hives out for pollination--NOT from selling honey.  It is a labor of love for the few who sell honey--mostly old guys who hope to make enough to pay their costs.  

Due to the mites, I haven't had any surplus of honey to take in about five years.  A beekeeper who has to buy his own honey.  It sucks.  

Also, Is the honeycomb pur wax or is it edible?  I see some jars of honey come with the honeycomb inside (not to be found in the supermarket mind you, but the rural farmers..) and wondered if that was there to add to the flavor or help keep the flavor?

Comb honey is almost unobtainable these days.  It's difficult and expensive to produce and people won't pay half of what it's worth.  It is pure beeswax but perfectly edible.  Special techniques have to be used in order to produce comb honey and it's a PITA to do.

Had some of that when I was a kid..
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 3:45:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
-snip-

Last question then I'll leave you alone.  Is it safe to assume that honecomb tastes like... well, honey covered wax or is it a bit tastier then that?
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 3:50:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 3:51:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
That's a shame,I can't remember the last time I saw a wild honey bee colony.

Man thats pretty bad. Do you have a yard or lawn. If you do, sit out side for a couple of minutes and watch the clover blossums.

Wow, the whole fucking colony comes out?

That was legendary. I think I'll add it to my sig line.
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 3:56:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Thanks for your patients in answering all my questions.  I have learned a whole lot today.
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 3:57:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I've lived next door to a beehive and a beekeeper for many years now.  They both make great neighbors!  
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 4:00:18 PM EDT
[#7]
All I kept thinking as I was reading the posts over there was "nerds!"
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 4:54:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow, I just learned a whole lot about bees that I didn't know before I was on the "That is F-ing awesome!" side of things at the beginning of this post, and after reading all the good info posted by TheBeekeeper and others, I've changed my mind on that.

Thanks for all the great info guys!
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 5:13:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That needs to be made into a movie...

"MOTHA FUCKIN BEES ON THE MOTHA FUCKIN SWING SET"

Link Posted: 12/26/2006 5:19:32 PM EDT
[#10]
WTF

Link Posted: 12/26/2006 5:36:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That's a shame,I can't remember the last time I saw a wild honey bee colony.

Man thats pretty bad. Do you have a yard or lawn. If you do, sit out side for a couple of minutes and watch the clover blossums.

ETA: Then follow the bee.
But not like we used to. Something knocked off one of our wild hives we had on our farm.

These punks are some real winners,probably the same types who go around bashing mailboxes,.......
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 5:52:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ignorant people at their best
The Natural World is Doomed because of this kind of behavior.

Some insects got roasted.  If not applaud, deal with it.  They're bugs and, however you wish to view them, NOT harmless when little humans are around.

this pretty much proves YOUR ignorance as well, Tras!  Haha, and I mean that in the nicest way...  Nothing wrong with being ignorant....let me tell you what I know:

when bees "swarm" usually in springtime, they are not agressive.  The Scouts have left "pheremone" on that spot, and it is sort of a rallying point for the swarm while en route.  They eventually would have departed after the stragglers arrived.  When enroute in a swarm, they are not dangerous, and hard to make them sting you.   I have been a beekeeper a long time, and I would have collected them free of charge, and gave those guys some honey to boot!  
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 6:21:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm not a huge fan of stinging insects in general,  but the only time I've EVER been stung was by a paper wasp and I wasn't doing anything that I think merited a defense reaction.
I was at least 20 feet away from the nest and wasn't doing anything to it.

But I did get my revenge later.    I did a mag dump into their nest at point blank range with my AR.   There were no survivors and no recognizable bits of wasp left over.

As for honeybees,   they ARE gentle unless threatened or harmed.   I've had them land
on me and crawl around,  and that's cool as long as you don't startle them.    They're cool little buggers.   And I've certainly never been stung by one.

We have had occasional problems with carpenter bees.   As they eat wood, like the eaves
of my house,  and my fence, too,   I always go on the warpath when they show up.

They don't last long when you plug up the holes in the board they've made into a nest
and then you soak the entire board in lacquer thinner.  

CJ
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 6:27:32 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
They weren't "setting up shop"--they were swarming, which means resting there until the scout bees find a permanent home.  Virtually harmless and not aggressive in the least.  Give them a day or two and they will be gone.  

Most people don't know honeybees are directly responsible for a full one-third of our food supply.  It's also a violation of federal law to kill them.  

Ya learn something new every day.

Interesting mushroom cloud, though. Wonder what the neighbors thought.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 6:35:24 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for your patients in answering all my questions.  I have learned a whole lot today.

He's a beekeeper, not a doctor.

Link Posted: 12/27/2006 6:39:40 AM EDT
[#16]
*evil chuckle*

-MEI
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 6:40:17 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn it, Jim!
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 6:44:02 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn it, Jim!

!!
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 8:10:33 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
If they kill the nest in the house they will be stuck with a shitload of honeycomb stuck in the wall that will be a huge mess.  Best to let the bees manage it or plan a big teardown and remodel.

Or just plug the hole with foam and forget about it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 8:13:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 8:33:40 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most people don't know honeybees are directly responsible for a full one-third of our food supply.  It's also a violation of federal law to kill them.  

Wow, I didn't know either of those facts. Has anyone ever been tried for killing honeybees? Does the law state a certain number can't be killed at once or is 1 enough to break the law on that?

I'm not aware of any arrests.  I'm sure the law would only deal with colonies or swarms--not individuals.  I've never researched the law--I've only read of the existence of a fed law in beekeeping journals.

Blackjack272, I have no clue, but I doubt they go very high.  I'd guess probably not much over 15-20' from my observations.  Honeybees are not strong fliers--at all.  They are more like a transport plane.  The "fighter jets" are hornets and most wasps, as they are carnivorous.  

Watching that video of the dozen or so wasps decimate thousands of bees did make me sad.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 8:36:00 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
If they kill the nest in the house they will be stuck with a shitload of honeycomb stuck in the wall that will be a huge mess.  Best to let the bees manage it or plan a big teardown and remodel.

Once it's not being maintained by the bees the comb will overheat and allow the honey to spill.  It will soak through drywall and make a big mess.

But it's a yummy mess I'm sure.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 9:21:05 AM EDT
[#23]
I think the picture of the guy throwing the 40lb. hitch into the swingset to knock the ball of bees down was just plain hilarious; Jeff Foxworthy would be proud.

But the 2 liters of 87 octane gasoline was just the kicker; BWOOOOSH!!!!

I was laughing at the whole episode. But oh well, life goes on.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 9:27:46 AM EDT
[#24]
In order to save the swingset, it became necessary to destroy the swingset.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 9:32:45 AM EDT
[#25]
What a bunch of ignorant tools.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 12:21:01 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Once it's not being maintained by the bees the comb will overheat and allow the honey to spill.  It will soak through drywall and make a big mess.

But it's a yummy mess I'm sure.
Nope,it decomposes and stinks,and it ruins the wall,also attracks all kinds of other pests.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 12:12:11 PM EDT
[#27]
BK1, another question:  good BK 101 sites for newbies?

Thanks,

Merlin
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 8:28:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 8:30:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 8:41:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Funny how family get togethers always result in a fire of some sort.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 7:48:24 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
BK1, another question:  good BK 101 sites for newbies?

Thanks,

Merlin

I'm not aware of any.  Beekeepers tend to be 80+ years old and not exactly internet whores.  

The Walter Kelley company, out of Clarkson, Kentucky, is the best source of equipment and the best book for beginners--"How to Keep Bees and Sell Honey" by Mr. Kelley.  Dunno if they are online or not.

Must be some younger oldie fogies:  Walter Kelley company site
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 8:17:36 PM EDT
[#32]
I love it!
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top