[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I stink.

What exactly stinks?  Your breath?
No, all the major sweaty areas.  Crotch and  pits mostly

If you've cleaned up your diet & increased your water consumption as I believe you have, then you technically ARE detoxing.  Consider some Gold Bond powder too - if you're perspiring more in the aforementioned area, you want to inhibit fungus growth.
Will do if I survive today
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 9:18:30 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I stink.

What exactly stinks?  Your breath?
No, all the major sweaty areas.  Crotch and  pits mostly

If you've cleaned up your diet & increased your water consumption as I believe you have, then you technically ARE detoxing.  Consider some Gold Bond powder too - if you're perspiring more in the aforementioned area, you want to inhibit fungus growth.
Will do if I survive today

Gold bond is a tad expensive, but it's good stuff. I just sprinkle some baby powder in my boxer briefs and rub some speed stick talc sport on my armpits. I don't think I really stink though, it's just a preventative thing. I shower with zest bar soap in the morning and in the evening after working out. When I work out I mix it up between light weight lifting and cardio (eliptical or treadmill). I can hard at the gym and I don't think I stink though. My shirt looks like somebody poured water on me after 45 minutes of cardio, but I don't wreak of stank. It could just be genetic in your case. Hopefully it'll pass for your sake though.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:53:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Stats:
Sex: Male
Hight: 5' 11"
Weight: 270

In high school I weighed 150lbs, I was a pretty active rock climber, I could run a 7min mile.  Now, I can barely run a 10min mile, or pull myself up a decent wall.  What should I do?

Start back with what you love, and make a commitment to it. I'd start with running, jogging or even walking 2 miles a day. At first do it to complete the course, then go for time.

Try to get faster every day.

Get back to rock climbing when you hit 200. Make that a goal.

Walking is something I can do, I live about a mile from school.  For a while last school year I was walking 4 miles a day (too school in the morning, back again for lunch, then to school again fro class/work, then back home).  I guess I'll just pick it up again, eventually work myself up to running it (with my 40lbs of books).
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 3:43:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Stats:
Sex: Male
Hight: 5' 11"
Weight: 270

In high school I weighed 150lbs, I was a pretty active rock climber, I could run a 7min mile.  Now, I can barely run a 10min mile, or pull myself up a decent wall.  What should I do?

Start back with what you love, and make a commitment to it. I'd start with running, jogging or even walking 2 miles a day. At first do it to complete the course, then go for time.

Try to get faster every day.

Get back to rock climbing when you hit 200. Make that a goal.

Walking is something I can do, I live about a mile from school.  For a while last school year I was walking 4 miles a day (too school in the morning, back again for lunch, then to school again fro class/work, then back home).  I guess I'll just pick it up again, eventually work myself up to running it (with my 40lbs of books).

Good advice from Dawn - also consider bodyweight exercises such as your staples (pushups, situps) as well as bodyweight squats, lunges, dips, pull ups, leg raises, etc.  

EVERYONE LOOKING TO MAKE THEIR COMEBACK - AND HAVE NO EQUIPMENT LOOKY HERE;

www.nextag.com/dip-pull-up-station/search-html
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 5:23:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I wanted to add that I extend this offer to all the guys/gals in the cadre as well.  I took myself up on this offer early and have already been bugging Jim about my running.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 6:15:36 PM EDT
[#6]
so, I'm walking 2-3 miles a day now 5 days a week.  I'm feeling pretty good.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 6:16:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Attaboy!!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 6:01:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll add my saga:

About 4 years ago I topped out at 283 lbs. (6'3", 29yrs) and I realized that I was on my way to 300 pretty quick. Through diet (Weight Watchers point system) and exercise I was able to drop forty pounds over the course of 7-8 months. Then my wife got pregnant with our son and the weight climbed back up to the mid 260s, I was lazy and was using her pregnancy as an excuse.

Fast Forward to 2006 and I was working for a new company and the owner came up with an idea to do a company fitness challenge. She brought in her personal trainer and used her club to monitor our progress and results. Through diet and exercise I went from 266 lbs on July 1st, 2006 to 215 lbs on June 30th, 2007. Not stellar, but a vast improvement for me. I am at the weight I went to college at. Which I did not think would ever happen again. After the challenge ended we all took a break and have gotten lazy, with the exception of our HR manager, who has gotten the cycling bug, so we have started a new challenge.

My goal is to maintain my weight and just make physical improvements, especially in light of the fact that my BMI shows me to still be overweight. I have a 36-38" waist depending on the manufacturer and I wear an XL shirt. I spent most of HS trying to get bigger and went from 180 lbs to 205 lbs by eating a bunch and working out like a mad man. Now I want to go back to being the skinny kid.

I am currently using the Fight Club workout from this website:

Fight Club Workout

And I am in week one, since this is the first week of the new fitness challenge. I am also doing Nordic walking on the days in between my workouts, I really hate running (probably a hang over from being a fatty). I hope that the changeup in the workout routine will help with boredom and will keep me motivated. Any critique of the workout and other help would be appreciated.

My diet is fairly clean, the wife and I both have really made lifestyle changes with regard to diet, she is down 37 lbs with diet and exercise. (5'7, 140).

This is a great thread, thanks to the cadre and all who have provided input.

96Ag
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 8:34:58 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
<snip>

You've had a few ups and downs, but you obviously know what needs to be done and how to do it right.  The big question is why do you continue to fall back out of the routine?

Do you quit your diet, do you quit working out, or both?  Why?  Motivation, not fun, etc?
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 8:51:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Cheerios used to rock
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 9:14:49 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Cheerios used to rock

Sick of them, or do you think you're not allowed to eat them?
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 9:36:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Cheerios used to rock

Sick of them, or do you think you're not allowed to eat them?
sick of em. My job likes quick morning meal though
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 9:42:47 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Honey nut cheerios are allowed.  Don't sweeten.  Corn flakes, etc.  Any bran cereal is fine.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 9:49:21 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Honey nut cheerios are allowed.  Don't sweeten.  Corn flakes, etc.  Any bran cereal is fine.
Hell I'm eating these dry. I'm hardcore like that
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 9:55:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 9:58:49 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I gots to get some cheerios!!
And remember, no more pie!
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 10:00:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 10:08:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

IM OUT MAN!!!
Quitter
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 4:25:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>

You've had a few ups and downs, but you obviously know what needs to be done and how to do it right.  The big question is why do you continue to fall back out of the routine?

Do you quit your diet, do you quit working out, or both?  Why?  Motivation, not fun, etc?

It's a combination of things; I love to eat, I hate exercise and I have a two year old and 70 hour a week job. If I had to pinpoint one thing I am going to go with the extreme dislike of physical exercise though.

In all seriousness I have had to accept the fact that 4am is the only time that I am going to have to commit to exercise so I have made that commitment for our next fitness challenge. I will say that the company fitness challenge has really made the most lasting changes due to the accountability that the challenge entails.

The changes in diet especially have been the most noticeable. I am more conscious of the amount of food that I eat and the types of food that I consume. I think that I have crested the hill to a healthier lifestyle, the desire to be a hardbody is there, but the will is not equal to the commitment necessary.

I am confident that the healthier choices I have been making will pay huge dividends in my life and allow me to live a longer and fuller life. But any mental advice that the group could give for maintaing motivation would be great.

96Ag
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 4:29:53 PM EDT
[#20]
FUCK THIS SHIT I WANT A CHEESEBURGER!
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 4:34:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Check with AGW, but without cheat days, diets are more likely to fail.  I cheat on Sat & Sun.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 4:50:18 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Check with AGW, but without cheat days, diets are more likely to fail.  I cheat on Sat & Sun.
He told me this morning to cheat tonight.  Then I passed a Sbarro.  So I cheated for lunch.  Within 5 minutes I was sick as a dog.  Nasty nasty shit.  I used to love it.

I'm sitting here eating chicken and rice with some mushrooms, and I just can't make myself eat it.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:05:39 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
He told me this morning to cheat tonight.  Then I passed a Sbarro.  So I cheated for lunch.  Within 5 minutes I was sick as a dog.  Nasty nasty shit.  I used to love it.

I'm sitting here eating chicken and rice with some mushrooms, and I just can't make myself eat it.  

What?  Sorry, I was eating cookie dough out of the tube.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:17:19 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/6/2007 8:52:24 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are right Dusty, you got to have a cheat day or some other mechanism to meet those overwhelming urges. That was a big help to me in my 50lb loss. The hardest thing up until that time was that for me it seemed when I cheated on my diet that I had blown it and therfore there was no reason to continue.

If you screw up go past it and get back on the program. Dude, have the cheeseburger, but tomorrow get back on the wagon and keep it up.

96Ag
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:40:19 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm under a lot of stress.  Hopefully in a week that will subside and I'll start back to daily work outs.  Right now its all I can do to cope.  I eat pretty well and my weight is actually lower than usual but I've lost a lot of muscle tone.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:23:04 PM EDT
[#27]
You know with some time to think I am going to have to change my earlier contention about my dislike of exercise. I think that my love of food and love for that disgustingly full feeling is my biggest enemy.

Admitting the problem is the first step right/

96Ag
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:32:57 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Awesome!!

If its the same path daily,  buy a stopwatch and time it.

Try to shave time every day.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 10:17:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Hey

I was looking for some help planning a good workout routine for myself. I am 18 years old, and am currently weighing in at roughly 175 Lbs, and 6'2". I usually try to go to the gym six times per week, with Sunday being a rest day. I've been trying out different routines, and am having some trouble finding one that I can see some big strength gains with. Currently my schedule is as follows:

Monday : Chest
-Bench Press
-Incline Bench Press
-Decline Bench Press
-Cable Crossovers

Tuesday : Back/Biceps/Legs
-Lat Pulldowns
-Various types of curls
-Leg Press
-Calves
-Some seated Rows

Wednesday: Shoulders/Triceps
-Military Press
-Tricep Pulldowns
-Narrow Grip Bench Press
-Clean and Jerks

Thursday: Legs - This is a fairly light day for me
-Leg Press
-Calves
-Leg Extensions (It is the machine where your legs are bent at 90 degrees, and then you straighten them )

Friday : Chest
Same as Monday

Saturday : Back/Biceps/Legs
Same as Tuesday

Sunday : Rest

*I will also try to do some weighted ab machine / situps about 4 times per week.
*Apart from the gym, I swim for approximately 2 hours per day.

Now, as for repetitions, I try to do sets of 8-10, and end up usually doing about 75% of my max with each set. At the moment, I am trying to increase my strength more so than looking strong, and a lot of the information that I've read about contradicts itself (With the % of your max, and the reps most beneficial to increasing strength)

As for my supplements - I am currently just taking Whey protein after my workouts.

Any help towards planning a more effective workout will be appreciated.

Thanks,
James

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 10:27:08 PM EDT
[#30]
^^

I asked my son to post his questions himself.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:52:57 AM EDT
[#31]
James,

Welcome to the site!  I'm glad you chose to post in here before anywhere else.

Your workouts look good, but they lack some key exercises for any good workout routine, especially considering your strength goals.

Compound movements vs. isolation movements:

Compound movements/lifts (involving two or more joints) like benchpresses (your chest, front delts [shoulders], and triceps are ALL worked) will build better muscle, faster than isolation movements (involving only one joint) like tricep extensions (...little bit of triceps worked).

Let's apply that knowledge below:

Monday : Chest
-Bench Press
-Incline Bench Press
-Decline Bench Press
-Cable Crossovers

Things here look fine.

Tuesday : Back/Biceps/Legs
-Lat Pulldowns
-Various types of curls
-Leg Press
-Calves
-Some seated Rows

Back is just as important as chest, so work as hard here are you would on Mondays.
Key exercise #1: Deadlifts.  DLs are great on back day because it hits your lower back and glutes (the other half of your core).  Everything else follows.

Pointless exercise: curls.  Your arms are only there to help your chest push things away from you and to help your back pull things towards you.  Biceps are TINY muscles.  Hinging heavy weight from the elbow will not get you big OR sustainable gains.

Instead, shred your back.  Ever seen huge biceps on a guy with a doughy back?  Lat pulldowns are great.  Keep doing them until you can turn them into full pullups.  Replace your curls with bent-over barbell and dumbbell rows.  Forget about doing them at the cable station.  Rows are the benchpress for your back.  Very important exercise, GREAT for biceps.

If you still want to do legs on this day, do them lightly.

Wednesday: Shoulders/Triceps
-Military Press
-Tricep Pulldowns
-Narrow Grip Bench Press
-Clean and Jerks

The same way biceps/rear shoulders get worked from back day, so do triceps/front shoulders on chest day.  Having a dedicated day for these slivers of muscle is more of a bodybuilding goal than a strengthening goal.  I'm not saying that this hurts any of your goals.  If you like it, keep it up.  But if you could use an extra rest day, this could be one.

Thursday: Legs - This is a fairly light day for me
-Leg Press
-Calves
-Leg Extensions (It is the machine where your legs are bent at 90 degrees, and then you straighten them )

Key exercise #2: Squats.  Squats are king.  Ditch the leg presses/extensions, look up SquatRx on Youtube.com for some decent instruction, and practice practice practice with a naked bar until you can do these without rounding your lower back or falling backwards.  

Calf raises are fine if that's what you're doing.  You'll also get plenty of calf work out of compound lifts like squats and DLs.

You can throw in step-ups or lunges on this day for some extra oomph.

Friday : Chest
Same as Monday

If you want to use this day to bring your bench numbers up, do your Monday workout with a naked bar on this day.  Then, do dips using two parallel bars.  Full chest-developing exercise that will help you under the bar.  Take it easy, though.  These are challenging in the beginning.

Saturday : Back/Biceps/Legs
Same as Tuesday

I dunno.  See how you feel here.  You may decide to take it easy (advisable).  If you must head back in there, don't do the DLs or squats until the beginning of the week.

Sunday : Rest

Definitely.

Exercises recommended in this post:

Deadlift
Bent-over barbell row
Bent-over DB row
Squat
Step-ups
Lunges
Dips

SquatRx - YouTube.com - You will learn that full/ATG squats are neither bad for your knees nor are they difficult to get right.

Good luck James!
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:56:31 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

96ag is right.  I have to ask you though... what do you think is so unhealthy about a cheeseburger (besides not being Kosher )?  Fastfood burgers are fatty, but protein will ALWAYS match fat in fastfood beef-only (meaning w/o bacon, etc) burgers.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:08:26 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

96ag is right.  I have to ask you though... what do you think is so unhealthy about a cheeseburger (besides not being Kosher )?  Fastfood burgers are fatty, but protein will ALWAYS match fat in fastfood beef-only (meaning w/o bacon, etc) burgers.

The grease and stuff.  That kinda stuff usually doesn't sit well with me.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:11:35 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Mmmmm 93% lean ground beef on the grill at home.  Mmmmmmmm.

Virtually fat-free burger.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:28:43 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll keep that in mind next time I got home. In 3 more weeks
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:54:22 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dusty or any other drivers who may get through West Virginia....gimme a holler when you will be passin thru on I-64, coming out of or going toward Ky.

I live in Milton (Exit 28, I-64) and have a decent lil home gym. If our schedules mesh you have an open invite to stop and use the equipment. If you have a layover weekend in the Huntington/Charleston area then we could go shootin too.

ETA...home gym equipment available:
Ultimate Smith Machine II
600lb of Olympic weights
Elliptical
Stair climber
Treadmill
Generic workout bench w/decline & leg rest for inclined crunches
Hex dumbell pairs from 5lb to 50lb

Room to run a short "cross country" circuit.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:08:38 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dusty or any other drivers who may get through West Virginia....gimme a holler when you will be passin thru on I-64, coming out of or going toward Ky.

I live in Milton (Exit 28, I-64) and have a decent lil home gym. If our schedules mesh you have an open invite to stop and use the equipment. If you have a layover weekend in the Huntington/Charleston area then we could go shootin too.

ETA...home gym equipment available:
Ultimate Smith Machine II
600lb of Olympic weights
Elliptical
Stair climber
Treadmill
Generic workout bench w/decline & leg rest for inclined crunches
Hex dumbell pairs from 5lb to 50lb

Room to run a short "cross country" circuit.
Thank ya much.  I was with ya till the whole running part
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:10:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Hey AGW,

Thanks a bunch for the input.

Today, being a Monday, was a Chest day --

I kept the same workout as I outlined above, only i substituted in some butterflies for the decline bench press. I also did 4x8 set of dips to help work my triceps a little bit.

Had a quick question about tomorrows workout though --  I am able to do a couple sets of 10 pullups, and was wondering if I should substitute these in for my Lat Pulldowns, or should I do both pullups and pulldowns?

Thanks again,
James
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:27:32 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Had a quick question about tomorrows workout though --  I am able to do a couple sets of 10 pullups, and was wondering if I should substitute these in for my Lat Pulldowns, or should I do both pullups and pulldowns?

If you can do 3 sets of 10 solid pullups, do them in place of pulldows forever.  You might try doing a set of light pulldowns as a warm-up, though.  Keep working on pullups until you're up to 4 sets, up to 10-12 reps.  At that point, you've got a solid upper back and you can start wearing a weight belt.... weighted pull-ups
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:47:13 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Dont worry bout it.. Im still on a running profile....low impact cardio only

Just thought I would throw the info out there.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:58:56 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dont worry bout it.. Im still on a running profile....low impact cardio only

Just thought I would throw the info out there.
Sounds like a plan.  Thanks
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:10:10 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AGW,

Thanks for that, learn something new everyday.

96Ag
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:31:43 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you can do 3 sets of 10 solid pullups, do them in place of pulldows forever.  You might try doing a set of light pulldowns as a warm-up, though.  Keep working on pullups until you're up to 4 sets, up to 10-12 reps.  At that point, you've got a solid upper back and you can start wearing a weight belt.... weighted pull-ups

I'll try the pullups tomorrow --

Can't wait to start in on the weighted ones

Thanks for the suggestions,
James

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:36:55 AM EDT
[#44]
OK, I'm in.

37 yo male, 5'11" and 178lbs.  Got high cholesterol and borderline high BP, both are under doc's care.  I'm in marginal/OK shape, docs say I am fine to do whatever I want exercise wise.  I can gut through a 5k in about 30-35 minutes, do BJJ 2-3x per week.  I'm a chemist, so pretty much sedentary during the workday.  Two boys, ages 7 and 4, they and the missus are my inspiration for getting fitter.

We've got a Bowflex, treadmill, and heavy bag at home to work out on.  What I want is to better my cardio and conditioning and lose about 8-12 lbs (I will gas out when rolling after 15-20 minutes).  Don't want mass or size gains, just better conditioning, and if strength gains come with it well that's fine too.

Ok, fire away.

Thanks,
Dave
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:51:44 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
OK, I'm in.

37 yo male, 5'11" and 178lbs.  Got high cholesterol and borderline high BP, both are under doc's care.  I'm in marginal/OK shape, docs say I am fine to do whatever I want exercise wise.  I can gut through a 5k in about 30-35 minutes, do BJJ 2-3x per week.  I'm a chemist, so pretty much sedentary during the workday.  Two boys, ages 7 and 4, they and the missus are my inspiration for getting fitter.

We've got a Bowflex, treadmill, and heavy bag at home to work out on.  What I want is to better my cardio and conditioning and lose about 8-12 lbs (I will gas out when rolling after 15-20 minutes).  Don't want mass or size gains, just better conditioning, and if strength gains come with it well that's fine too.

Ok, fire away.

Thanks,
Dave

Hey Dave - I'll leave your diet to AGW, & you're weight training to Remman, but I have a nice heavy bag workout that'll get your HR up and tone & strenghten your core.  You'll need bag gloves if you don't already have them, as well as a jump rope.  Here's how it goes:

Jab & straight combinations, on your toes, bouncing & moving - 1:00 minute

Shadowbox in the mirror, plenty of forwaerd and backward footwork - 1:00 minute

Back to the bag for 60 seconds of hooks, hi & low, both hands.

Finally, skip rope for 60 seconds.

There is no rest between exercises, and this is considered 1 ROUND.  Start out doing 3 - 4 rounds and work your way up.  Be critical of your time - don't cheat yourself.  It may look easy on paper but I promise you it's not.  If you have heavy hands, consider wrapping your hands too.  GOOD LUCK!!!!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:14:20 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, did the workout today with some moderate success. Wasn't as proficient with pullups as I had though, and only got one good set of 10 in, and then sort of fell off with 7, 8, and 7 again in my sets following them. I also did a fairly good set of deadlifts, but I am realizing now that when I do these I hurt the fronts of my legs, mostly right above my kneecap. (from the bar rubbing against them/hitting it) -- I guess it's just a technique issue though.

I was curious about what sort of supplements I should be taking during the day. Currently I am just taking the GNC brand Whey protein powder after my workout -- A few months back I tried some creatine for a few weeks, but didn't notice any real effect so I am off of it. I was thinking about purchasing some NOxplode -- is this worth it?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:45:13 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I also did a fairly good set of deadlifts, but I am realizing now that when I do these I hurt the fronts of my legs, mostly right above my kneecap. (from the bar rubbing against them/hitting it) -- I guess it's just a technique issue though.

Dude, my shins are raw.  With what hair is left below my knee cap, it gets ripped out and I have to pluck them from the bar.  You just gotta wear sweats or lightly wrap your shins with some avce bandage.  In other words, your form is fine.

I was curious about what sort of supplements I should be taking during the day. Currently I am just taking the GNC brand Whey protein powder after my workout -- A few months back I tried some creatine for a few weeks, but didn't notice any real effect so I am off of it. I was thinking about purchasing some NOxplode -- is this worth it?

You're how old again?  Eat lots and lots of good protein (poultry, fish, lean beef) and lots of complex carbs (oats, whole wheat bread, whole grain pastas).  Keep sucking on that whey before and after workouts.  For now, supplements don't exist to you.  Be patient and grow.  The quality muscle can't be rushed.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:52:59 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I also did a fairly good set of deadlifts, but I am realizing now that when I do these I hurt the fronts of my legs, mostly right above my kneecap. (from the bar rubbing against them/hitting it) -- I guess it's just a technique issue though.

Dude, my shins are raw.  With what hair is left below my knee cap, it gets ripped out and I have to pluck them from the bar.  You just gotta wear sweats or lightly wrap your shins with some avce bandage.  In other words, your form is fine.

You're how old again?  Eat lots and lots of good protein (poultry, fish, lean beef) and lots of complex carbs (oats, whole wheat bread, whole grain pastas).  Keep sucking on that whey before and after workouts.  For now, supplements don't exist to you.  Be patient and grow.  The quality muscle can't be rushed.

AGW is a wise man!  Raw shins are a "badge of honor" and whenever mine aren't bleeding or scabbed over I remind my trainer that "we haven't pulled in awhile"  Don't invest in a bunch of hyped up supplements -especially creatine (a volumizer) or NOX (hello hypertension).  Protein is the building block of muscle - follow AGW's advice and drink one prior to workout, again immediately after, and once more before bedtime.  A lot of recovery and repair takes place when you're sleeping!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:05:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Thanks AGW, and GR8 for your advice for James.

I really appreciate it.

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 3:46:05 AM EDT
[#50]
I need to exercise on a regular basis... watching my dad's health start to tumble the past couple of years has been sobering.

Vitals:

Height: 5'10
Weight: 166 lbs
Health: generally good, but I've had chronic asthma since age 2.

What can I do to burn calories and protect my heart w/o sending me into an asthma attack?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top