Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:15:14 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
What can I do to burn calories and protect my heart w/o sending me into an asthma attack?

Any of the following done 2-5 times a week (for say, 30 min.) will strengthen your cardiovascular system:

Biking
Swimming
Walking/Hiking/Jogging/Running
"Light"-weight, high-rep weight training

It doesn't have to be obligatory work, either.  I look forward to (certain) days in the gym as much as folks I know look forward to their next 10-mile ride.  If you're not enjoying yourself, you're doing it wrong.  Give some things a try and see what your body really wants to come back to.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:38:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Ladies and gents,

I've been watching this thread for a while.  

Vitals:

Height: 5'6".  In other terms, short.  
Weight: around 175lbs, give or take a couple.
Waist: 32"
Chest: 42"

I lost close to 40lbs this year, due to changes in work environment and eating habits.  My diet is still not great, but I am no longer a human garbage disposal for a pregnant woman.  My son is a little over a year old now.  

I guess what I am trying to get at is I'd like some of the size and strength back that I have lost due to my now more sedentary job and lifestyle.  I no longer carry 60+lbs of tools 10-14 hours a day framing residential/commercial; I spin wrenches sometimes and talk on the phone/email far more.  

And I'm single again.  Already at a fairly severe disadvantage because of my height, I would like to get back into the shape of my 19-23 years, or as close as possible.  I have lost a considerable ammount of muscle mass.

I ride a bike (my old Dyno Nitro or newer Specialized Vegas) hard for at least an hour, usually two or more, when the weather permits, but...I live in WA.  The weather sucks.  Won't get too many more days of that.  

I don't own any exercise equipment currently and will not be purchasing any for at least couple months, due to bills.

So...I guess I'm not exactly sure what I'm asking for, but I know that something  needs to be done.  ARFCOM Fitness Gurus, help me!
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 3:11:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I need to exercise on a regular basis... watching my dad's health start to tumble the past couple of years has been sobering.

Vitals:

Height: 5'10
Weight: 166 lbs
Health: generally good, but I've had chronic asthma since age 2.

What can I do to burn calories and protect my heart w/o sending me into an asthma attack?

Best advice that I can give it to do low intensity aerobic exercise.  Walking, easy jogging or cycling, things that will not trigger your asthma.

Do you use an inhaler?  We have one guy in our tri club with asthma - he is pretty good in the water and on the bike, but the innately higher intensity of running seems to trigger him.  He just has to take it very slow, but he has been able to build his running speed, albeit slowly.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:14:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, I use a daily use inhaler for maintenance and keep an emergency inhaler on me at all times.

Thanks for the advice guys. I like swimming, but theres no place nearby.

What kind of workout can you get from roller skating?  Theres a great walking track at the local community college that allows roller-blading after a certain time.  Its very oddly shaped with lots of hills and valleys.  Total length is about 1 1/2 miles.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:12:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What kind of workout can you get from roller skating?  Theres a great walking track at the local community college that allows roller-blading after a certain time.  Its very oddly shaped with lots of hills and valleys.  Total length is about 1 1/2 miles.

Hmm.  There's not much that skating/balding does unless you're really hauling.  You'll develop some stabilization for your lower back and hamstrings, and you may get some quad or calf burn, but because you're not doing the propelling, it isn't something that would last.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:51:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
snip
Height: 5'6".  snip!

I thought you'd be taller
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:21:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
snip
Height: 5'6".  snip!

I thought you'd be taller

Edit:  My younger brother is almost a foot taller than me.  Ain't that a bitch?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:40:23 PM EDT
[#8]
OST
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:07:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Yeah, I use a daily use inhaler for maintenance and keep an emergency inhaler on me at all times.

You can get a decent workout rollerblading if you keep the pressure on.  It's just like cycling in that you can make it a workout or you can make it a long coast.  A cheap heart rate monitor will help you to determine which you are doing.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 12:00:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I skate daily. I LOVE it! Cardio, legs, and works the core and balance. I do a warm up, then an 80% effort 2 mile run, Then do 100% 1/4 mile sprints. I also do about 10 minutes of a warm down, which lately is like ... how to describe... Its like skiing. Feet never leave the ground, and I slalom back and forth, and use the legs and motion to propel me forward. I love it.

I would recommend swimming if you have asthma. Many of my kids were referred to swimming by their doctors. No environmental triggers, and the hypoxic breathing increases lung capacity.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 5:44:00 PM EDT
[#11]
So, I've shaved nearly 2 minutes off my walk time, and the scale says I've lost nearly 12lbs.
Link Posted: 10/13/2007 7:21:46 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
So, I've shaved nearly 2 minutes off my walk time, and the scale says I've lost nearly 12lbs.

Keep it up.  The weight loss might plateau after a bit, but sticking with a program and not letting it get to you is the best approach.
Link Posted: 10/13/2007 8:39:39 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Keep it up.  The weight loss might plateau after a bit, but sticking with a program and not letting it get to you is the best approach.
I gotta step it up I don't wanna get caught
Link Posted: 10/13/2007 2:14:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Chronium 76 will be joining me @ Westside Barbell this Tuesday
Link Posted: 10/14/2007 12:24:23 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So would it be a good idea to go for like a 10 or 15 mile walk either this weekend or next weekend? I'm thinking about trying to do that every other weekend, and maybe eventually working it up to every weekend.
Link Posted: 10/14/2007 1:31:32 AM EDT
[#16]
hey guys.. just sendin thanks for your dedication! if i find time i will hit one of you up, but i think work will handle my immediate concerns as of now.
Link Posted: 10/15/2007 5:11:13 AM EDT
[#17]
30 years old in excellent physical shape (spend most of the week cruising timber).  6-1 170lbs.  Resting heart beat is 62 and BP is 123/65.

I started lifting weights/strength training in April.  I have been lanky all my life so I wanted to become much stronger.  Also, at 30 years of age I want to continue to be in peak physical  form for as long as I can.  I want to be strong and physically fit.  I desire to add lean muscle mass and to build in cardio health.

Lots of good stuff in hear that I am taking in.  Right now my core is becoming very strong and defined.  However my arms seem to be lagging.  My forearms haven't grown at all and it is hurting my ability to max out on dead lifts and my biceps seem to be what holds me back on my rows. Normally I will do tri's and bi's right at the end of my chest and shoulder workouts but it is limited to a few sets and by that time I am dog tired.  Any tips!

Thanks in advance to those experts who are helping arfcomers get in shape!

For informative purposes I am benching 185lbs and my one arm dumbell row is 70lbs.
Link Posted: 10/15/2007 6:33:02 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Lots of good stuff in hear that I am taking in.  Right now my core is becoming very strong and defined.  However my arms seem to be lagging.  My forearms haven't grown at all and it is hurting my ability to max out on dead lifts and my biceps seem to be what holds me back on my rows. Normally I will do tri's and bi's right at the end of my chest and shoulder workouts but it is limited to a few sets and by that time I am dog tired.  Any tips!

You may just need a healthy wrench thrown in your routine to break your plateaus.  Are all of your rows done with dumbbells?  If so, head over to the barbell and try some strong bent-over rows there.  This may stimulate your biceps a bit differently.

Truth is, I don't think most people benefit from isolation lifts for bi's and tri's until they've been doing it for a long time.  Chest and back should be enough.  Your arms may be telling you something there.

Are you doing any isolation lifts for your forearms as well?
Link Posted: 10/15/2007 7:34:54 AM EDT
[#19]
I think Ive hit that damn plateau in my weight loss.

Ive lost 20lb since starting PT in Mil Sci (ROTC) around the end of August/beginning of Sept.

At least 2 weeks straight I lost 6lb per week. Now its seems to have slowed and Im not letting up in my workouts. I guess muscle gained is counter balancing fat lost when I weigh myself (once a week).

Its also getting harder to keep my target HR in the target range during workouts. Its staying lower longer and Im still working pretty damn hard.

Going by the old school body types I am a mesomorph with some endomorph traits. I put on fat relatively evenly and build muscle pretty easily.  

Still fighting thru shin splints

My low impact cardio is fast walking for 20 minutes, 14.6-15.0 mph pace for 20 minutes on a stat bike and 20 minutes on an incline elliptical at a 160-170 stride PM count (3200+ strides in 20 minutes)

eta.....Last Thursday on Mil Sci LAb we had CWST. combat water survival training. We were in the indoor diving pool on campus. We had to do a 10 minute swim, no touching sides. a 5 minute tread, no touching sides...then the fun stuff started We had to put on BDU/ACU's and be pushed in wearing basic LBE and holding a fake M16.

1st station was fall in and swim with equipment to other side of pool
2nd station was jumping off the high dive blinded folded with LBE and FM16
3rd station was being pushed in again and shedding FM16 and LBE before surfacing.

Skinny peeps dont swim too well. Glad I dont have that problem
Link Posted: 10/15/2007 12:10:23 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Ive lost 20lb since starting PT in Mil Sci (ROTC) around the end of August/beginning of Sept.

Why do you want to lose more weight?  Is there more weight to lose?

At least 2 weeks straight I lost 6lb per week. Now its seems to have slowed and Im not letting up in my workouts. I guess muscle gained is counter balancing fat lost when I weigh myself (once a week).

This has less to with muscle gained so much as less surplus fat to lose.  It's likely that you haven't plateaued at all.  You may just be down to losing 1-2lbs per week on average.

Its also getting harder to keep my target HR in the target range during workouts. Its staying lower longer and Im still working pretty damn hard.

If your cardio routine hasn't changed much since you began, now would be the time.  If you run 3 miles like clockwork, take a week off of that and do sprint work instead (suicides or HIIT).  Your heart won't know what hit it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2007 2:02:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why do you want to lose more weight?  Is there more weight to lose?

This has less to with muscle gained so much as less surplus fat to lose.  It's likely that you haven't plateaued at all.  You may just be down to losing 1-2lbs per week on average.

If your cardio routine hasn't changed much since you began, now would be the time.  If you run 3 miles like clockwork, take a week off of that and do sprint work instead (suicides or HIIT).  Your heart won't know what hit it.

Shin Splints still have me on a running profile. Hence the low impact cardio.

when I started I weighed in at 279, last Friday morning after PT I weighed in at 258.

I'm 5'9". built big like Dusty is...only a couple " shorter

Ive got to get down below 240 and stay there.
Link Posted: 10/15/2007 2:13:07 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I used running as my example, but ok... get off the bike and hop in the pool for a week.

But again, see what your weight is in another week, 3 even.  I bet it's still dropping.  What's your diet like?
Link Posted: 10/15/2007 3:30:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I used running as my example, but ok... get off the bike and hop in the pool for a week.

But again, see what your weight is in another week, 3 even.  I bet it's still dropping.  What's your diet like?

Mon-Fri:
Nothing before PT, dont feel like chuckin cookies
After PT "breakfast"= Strawberry & lowfat yogurt smoothie with a protein booster, a bran muffin, bottle of water.

"early" lunch= either 2 grilled chicken sandwiches (Chik-fil-A) on whole grain buns, lettuce, tomato, pickle, no dressings. A lil over 500 cal total. or a "take out" platter with a rotisseire meat, green beans and another veggie.

Afternoon= If Im hungry, a protein bar

dinner= with my schedule its something healthy from Wendys....Ive reconned their nutrition guide. Taco Salad, Diet Coke or water....or a double with no cheese, no mayo, chili or side salad instead of fries....or 2 large chilis.

Ive cut diet coke intake WAYYYYYYYYYYYY back and upped my water intake A LOT.

Weekends I try to keep the same type of food intake....maybe a 16oz protein shake for breakfast to start.

I try to stay away from white potatos (french fries), rice, starches.

Ive pretty much lost my sweet tooth, lowfat granola bars and protein bars usually stop it if it acts up

Link Posted: 10/15/2007 6:38:56 PM EDT
[#24]
It looks like you're concious of what you're eating.  Obviously, whole food is preferable even to "healthy" fast food, but it looks alright.

Get back to us in a few weeks.  See if your weight has changed.
Link Posted: 10/16/2007 3:13:15 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You may just need a healthy wrench thrown in your routine to break your plateaus.  Are all of your rows done with dumbbells?  If so, head over to the barbell and try some strong bent-over rows there.  This may stimulate your biceps a bit differently.

Truth is, I don't think most people benefit from isolation lifts for bi's and tri's until they've been doing it for a long time.  Chest and back should be enough.  Your arms may be telling you something there.

Are you doing any isolation lifts for your forearms as well?
No, but I just picked up some of those hand squeezes thingies.  Starting last night I changed my routine. I think I was doing too many workouts in my hour that I gave my self.  Last night I gave 100% to chest and shoulders.  Wednesday I will give 100% to my back and rear delts.  Friday will be 100% arms and legs.

BTW last night was the first night I have ever done dips.  I integrated it between incline and flat bench press. Holy cow I am really feeling the burn.
Link Posted: 10/16/2007 6:41:15 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Starting last night I changed my routine. I think I was doing too many workouts in my hour that I gave my self.  Last night I gave 100% to chest and shoulders.  Wednesday I will give 100% to my back and rear delts.  Friday will be 100% arms and legs.

BTW last night was the first night I have ever done dips.  I integrated it between incline and flat bench press. Holy cow I am really feeling the burn.

Great job dude.  Simpler, more effiecient workouts are where the truth in training is at.
Link Posted: 10/16/2007 2:44:02 PM EDT
[#27]
It feels good to be size smaller pair of blue jeans than I was in
Link Posted: 10/16/2007 3:09:45 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Atta - boy!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/16/2007 3:27:42 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Atta - boy!!!!!
They're kind of a big 40, and I was kinda loose in a 42, but I don't care
Link Posted: 10/16/2007 5:22:23 PM EDT
[#30]
I've taken a hands on approach to my ARFCOM Fitness cadre-ness and "sponsored" Chronium76 at Westside Barbell.  Today was his first workout with us, and his effort was exemplary.  His ability to walk tomorrow is an entirely different subject!
Link Posted: 10/17/2007 10:12:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Walk fine.  Climb stairs is an entirely different story. The kettle bench press is awesome you can feel your entire core fighting the effects of the bands.   I never had my ribs cramp up until today.  I guess there is a first time for everything.
Link Posted: 10/17/2007 11:06:37 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Walk fine.  Climb stairs is an entirely different story. The kettle bench press is awesome you can feel your entire core fighting the effects of the bands.   I never had my ribs cramp up until today.  I guess there is a first time for everything.

Good effort today - talked to Matt about starting a second group for you, Kyle, & Brad since you're all of similar strength.  More lifting & less watching that way.  He's have more time to focus on your technique that way too.    BTW - Nice effort today!  Kettlebells are tough
Link Posted: 10/17/2007 12:14:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Well folks, this is my situation:

Height: 5' 10"
Weight:  185 lbs.
Belt size 34, but pushing higher.

History:  Was a cross country runner and weight training nut back in HS and early college.  Since then I've had both knees scoped and cancer cut out of my left arm at the elbow joint.  A combination of lack of exercise and diet full of junkfood has led to weight gain.

Currently:
I use a stationary bike at least three days a week, for 20 to 30 minutes each time.  Started doing this recently.
My blood pressure is a little elevated.  I also have a high triglyceride count in my blood, though my cholesterol levels are good so far.
I've lost most of the flexibility in my wrists.  Doing a standard pushup causes severe pains up the inside of my forearms.
Work provides sodas and sweets, and I haven't had very good self control.
I haven't dont weight training in a long time now.

Hopes/plans:
Lose about 25 lbs of fat (it is centered mostly around my waist, neck, and face)
Get toned.  I'm looking for basic, balanced muscle strength, not necessarily mass.
Regain flexibility in my wrists so I can do pushups again.
As I mentioned earlier, I've started using a stationary bike.  I've managed to lose a few lbs doing this already.
I plan on buying a bunch of carrots (and apples since they're in season) to snack on at work.

So there you have it.  I'm open to suggestions.
Link Posted: 10/17/2007 12:24:57 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Lose about 25 lbs of fat (it is centered mostly around my waist, neck, and face)
Get toned.  I'm looking for basic, balanced muscle strength, not necessarily mass.
Regain flexibility in my wrists so I can do pushups again.

You'll be a dream to work with.  Believe it or not, a lot of body builders get a bad rap because of their mass, but the truth is that many train with the same balance you seek.  The image of "body builder" brings Mr. Universe-type guys to mind for a lot of people, but Joe BBer is generally health-concious and does functionally appropriate exercises.

I'll IM you between 5-6 MTN.  Don't have time to get into it right now.

ETA: I blame those stupid health magazines (Men's Health, FLEX, etc) and their recommended workouts for big biceps or bigger shoulders.  All the workouts they ever put in there are wastes of time and energy.
Link Posted: 10/19/2007 11:50:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Tonight is my leg night.  Going to be interesting doing squats they way they should be done as described by GR8WYT.  preparing for some leg pain tonight.
Link Posted: 10/19/2007 12:10:08 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Tonight is my leg night.  Going to be interesting doing squats they way they should be done as described by GR8WYT.  preparing for some leg pain tonight.

Ass to da grass

I, myself, just finished another bad workout.  It seemed like no matter what I was doing, my form sucked, or something didn't feel right, blah blah.  Hell, I even burned out before my last exercise and just walked the fuck out.
Link Posted: 10/19/2007 12:18:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Chronium and I did speed squats with bands this A.M. at Westside!!!  Sounds like you could use a little Westside in your workout right about now AGW!
Link Posted: 10/19/2007 1:58:09 PM EDT
[#38]
alright I have a squat question

I injured my right heal about 1 month ago and while I didn't think it was that bad at the time I apparently favored it.  I went to start squats again last night for the first time in ages and I can't keep my right heal on the ground.  I get about half way into the squat and it starts to come up.  I tried toes on plates, wider stance anything I could think of   I finally quit and did leg lifts and seated row

My guess is my hamstring has gotten less stretched out from my favoring my right

Link Posted: 10/19/2007 2:34:17 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
My guess is my hamstring has gotten less stretched out from my favoring my right

Hamstring/glute/hip flexor flexibility is the biggest hurdle for most people trying to do proper squats (acutally going parallel or below <--- out of 50 people who say they squat parallel, about 1 actually knows how).

Start from the bottom up.  Squat down and get in to position.  If you go low, don't rest your hams on your calves, let them touch but keep the tension.  Now put your left elbow inside your left knee and your right elbow inside your right knee, and push them outward.  Hold that for 10 or 15 seconds and feel the stretch (you're still keeping tension and not resting on your calves, right?).  Ascend and go back down for another and see if getting into the hole is a bit easier.  Repeat as necessary.
Link Posted: 10/19/2007 5:20:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Well, I'm about 40 days into regularly exercising for the first time in my life.

The indoor rower is a very fun hunk of equipment. You can get some competitive spirit going on trying to best your own times, or hook it up to the computer and race against other people. So far it's pretty addicting.

And the big plus ... I've been eating a pretty good amount of food and still losing weight. I cut out all the junk and the diet has been entirely made up of fruit, brown rice, whole grain bread, meat, veggies, nuts, cheese, olive oil, smart balance mayo, coffee, and water. After losing weight through just dieting (low carb, low calorie, you name it) in the past, I have to say that this is MUCH easier. I'm eating around 2000-2400 calories a day and have still managed to drop 15 lbs in 40 days. I'm hoping not much of it is muscle. It seems like it's not. I've taken the belt in a couple notches, I FEEL a lot stronger, and am going way faster on the rower. When I started I could barely finish 2000 meters, now I'm doing 10,000 or more a day, and this morning for the first time got my 2000 meter row under 8 minutes.

Let's see, that works out to about  0.000050 lbs lost per meter.

Link Posted: 10/19/2007 6:03:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Well my legs feel like jelly and I suck at trying to get the proper form for squats.  I feels the burn though.
Link Posted: 10/19/2007 6:17:38 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Well my legs feel like jelly and I suck at trying to get the proper form for squats.  I feels the burn though.

I've been checking here all day to see how you did!
Link Posted: 10/19/2007 10:12:31 PM EDT
[#43]
You're awesome, dog-meat.  The word "diet" has a negative conotation with a lot of people, but all it means is how you feed yourself.  Eating in a way that will allow your body to maintain or return to its genetically "ideal" weight and in such a way that it can continually maintain an exercise regimen is neither hard nor restricting.  It's just a matter of nutrition.

Quoted:
or hook it up to the computer and race against other people.

Holy crap, I thought my secret addiction to Counter Strike was nerdy!

Hey, have you noticed anything else with your weight loss?  Wedding band slipping, less sweaty or more cold (hands and feet), less strain on you back?  Has your wife noticed less frequent snoring?
Link Posted: 10/19/2007 11:04:37 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Great News!!

Link Posted: 10/22/2007 6:19:30 PM EDT
[#45]
This thread deserves a bump... say 'hello' to our martial artist and trainer extraordinaire... chokeu2!
Link Posted: 10/23/2007 3:01:20 AM EDT
[#46]
My legs are still sore as hell (particularly my hams)  looks like my biggest failure with squats is not going down nearly far enough to tourch my hams.
Link Posted: 10/23/2007 6:15:38 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
My legs are still sore as hell (particularly my hams)  looks like my biggest failure with squats is not going down nearly far enough to tourch my hams.

As long as you're truly breaking parallel, you're good to go.  The flexibility will come with time.  When you get there, just make sure that you don't let your hams rest on your calves; keep your muscles tight the whole time.  Also make sure you're not bouncing out of the whole when you ascend.  Smooth, controlled descent.  Smooth, controlled ascent.
Link Posted: 10/23/2007 2:08:09 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As long as you're truly breaking parallel, you're good to go.  The flexibility will come with time.  When you get there, just make sure that you don't let your hams rest on your calves; keep your muscles tight the whole time.  Also make sure you're not bouncing out of the whole when you ascend.  Smooth, controlled descent.  Smooth, controlled ascent.
I wasn't breaking parallel up until Friday.  But I have made sure to do it smooth.

After 3 days off I am headed back to the gym.  Chest/shoulder night.
Link Posted: 10/24/2007 8:58:16 AM EDT
[#49]
I am two weeks in. Stopped the boozing (surprisingly do not miss it - but it has only been two weeks).  I took the eating advice from AGW, reducing portions and cutting out processed foods. I also started getting to bed earlier and getting up at 5:45 to walk (which my dog incidentally loves) for 30 - 60 minutes.  

So far I am down about 20 lbs, and 1 pants size.  People at the office are starting to notice.  I know the first week or two are the best for big results, I just hope I can keep it up!  

Thanks all for listening - and for sharing your knowledge and encouraging stories.
Link Posted: 10/24/2007 9:08:48 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I am two weeks in. Stopped the boozing (surprisingly do not miss it - but it has only been two weeks).  I took the eating advice from AGW, reducing portions and cutting out processed foods. I also started getting to bed earlier and getting up at 5:45 to walk (which my dog incidentally loves) for 30 - 60 minutes.  

So far I am down about 20 lbs, and 1 pants size.  People at the office are starting to notice.  I know the first week or two are the best for big results, I just hope I can keep it up!  

Thanks all for listening - and for sharing your knowledge and encouraging stories.

Excellent job!  Your weight loss will continue, basically, as long as you want it to.  It will take time, but once you've reached a weight where you're satisfied, you can relax your portion control and keep up your exercise and maintain.  If you wish to cut out your exercise, or reduce it, you can just keep a close eye on portions (end of the day is really what counts though) and relax.

Don't go shopping for a whole new wardrobe to soon.  You tend to lose another size as soon as you've done it.

Finally, as a reward for your efforts this weekend, treat yourself to something you wouldn't let yourself eat during the week.  Dairy Queen has become a ritual for me.  It keeps me sane...
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top