Link Posted: 11/14/2005 7:58:43 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.air-attack.com/MIL/_EXP/ucav/ucav_header.jpg

Is that the descendant of this:

i8.photobucket.com/albums/a35/weebeastykillr/tacit_blue1.jpg

WBK

No it's not.  The Boeing UCAV is a direct descendent of the airplane in my avatar photo; common parents and common technology, but no Northrop technology.

The similarity of the upper surface inlet is superficial.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 8:01:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I think the beech Starship is a great looking airplane. I actually had the pleasure of one fly over me a few years back and the shape of it was stunning to say the least. Today there is only one privately owned one in existance because Beech for some reason decided to buy back all the Starships and destroy them. The reason for this is unclear to this day but one is still privately owned by a person who refused to return his. He bought up every spare part made for it and plans to keep it flying well into the future.

www.image4u.org/jimtash/GA14G13.jpg

Here it's being used as a chaseplane for the "X" prize constest.

www.image4u.org/jimtash/04_10_04_SpaceShipOne_X_Prize_2_0185.jpg

Wow! I was sitting on the beach in LA a few months ago and saw it fly over. I had no idea there was only one left...
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 8:09:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 8:15:57 PM EDT
[#4]
... I took this photo a few years ago at Falcon Field in Mesa, AZ. I've always been fond of the B25. Granted, a lot is driven by her history, but I thinks she's a beauty nonetheless.

Link Posted: 11/14/2005 8:17:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For sheer visceral response, nothing beets Kelly Johnsons best.

Although it is a beautiful plane, I would disagree with your statement:

www.b-58hustler.com/images/b58sunset.jpg
www.aviation-history.com/convair/b58-4.gif
www.b-58hustler.com/images/B58E.jpg

Yup.always liked those as well. When I was a kid and drew a jet , that is what they would look like. It just looks so bad ass!
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 8:26:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 8:27:39 PM EDT
[#8]
... One last entry for me.

Link Posted: 11/14/2005 8:33:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I drive by one of these at a local air force museum every day. Most graceful lines ever to grace an aircraft of any size.

Link Posted: 11/14/2005 8:35:03 PM EDT
[#10]
OK, they might not be everybody's idea of beauty, but I like 'em. Maybe you will, too..

French Arc-en-Ciel, transatlantic crosser (France-South America, 1928-1934, various types and times)

Polish PZL p11c. Outdated, these nimble little fighters and their pilots took a huge share of German a/c in 1939 before they were overwhelmed.

Arsenal VG33, French fighter. Faster and more maneuverable than the Bf109, it arrived too late for service before France surrendered in 1940

Take the back end of a Polish PZL, a high powered French radial, a bubble canopy (before anybody else had them) and some design flair, and voila! -the Industrie Aerei Romane 80, Rumania's homegrown fighter, a nimble, and fast mount.

Fokker G-1, Holland's best fighter in 1940. Too bad there weren't more of them...

Polish PZL P.37 Los, Poland's sleek, fast bomber of 1939

Macchi 202, one of Italy's best fighters of WW2.

I've got a soft spot in my heart for Italian, French and Polish designs of the 1930s and 1940s, as you can tell...

Ehhh....maybe I'll leave off the pics of the Amiot 143 and the LWS-6 Zubr....

Link Posted: 11/14/2005 8:42:42 PM EDT
[#11]
My favorite Russian fighter-

Yak-3

An underrated airplane, IMHO -

Link Posted: 11/14/2005 8:45:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 8:53:50 PM EDT
[#13]
It's a damn shame that she will never be built.

Link Posted: 11/14/2005 11:30:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Work horse of the YK delta.

1100 LB payload, no problem.
1600 ft gravel strip, no problem.
Ice, snow, rain, wind, no problem.

Beautiful is as Beautiful does.

Ben, The_Emu

The Delta and more hardworking airplanes.more.
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 1:17:00 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.air-attack.com/MIL/_EXP/ucav/ucav_header.jpg

Is that the descendant of this:

i8.photobucket.com/albums/a35/weebeastykillr/tacit_blue1.jpg

WBK

No it's not.  The Boeing UCAV is a direct descendent of the airplane in my avatar photo; common parents and common technology, but no Northrop technology.

The similarity of the upper surface inlet is superficial.

pwned!

I think I have a challenge coin of the vehicle in your avatar AeroE.  When secret squirrel showed me that I showed him the video game starfox.  They look the same to me. (minus the vertical stab thingy)

Link Posted: 11/15/2005 3:17:55 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
for you DC-3 lovers, I present the first Delta DC-3 purchased, and subsequently found in Puerto Rico, and brought back for a full restoration.

www.airchive.com/Memorabilia/Delta/*DC3-2.jpg

Come on Delta Airlines! Just gotta make it through this BK BS!!! DeltaAir423,where's the Spirit Of Delta??? Delta gonna put it near the mueseum? Hopefully in original"widget"colors!
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 3:38:00 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
OK, they might not be everybody's idea of beauty, but I like 'em. Maybe you will, too..

ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/fairault/couzy3.jpg
French Arc-en-Ciel, transatlantic crosser (France-South America, 1928-1934, various types and times)

www.muz-lotnictwa.krakow.pl/pzlp11c_8.63_2.jpg
Polish PZL p11c. Outdated, these nimble little fighters and their pilots took a huge share of German a/c in 1939 before they were overwhelmed.

aviaweb.free.fr/monographies/vg33/vg33double.jpg
Arsenal VG33, French fighter. Faster and more maneuverable than the Bf109, it arrived too late for service before France surrendered in 1940

wuarchive.wustl.edu/aminet/pix/vehic/iar_80.jpg
Take the back end of a Polish PZL, a high powered French radial, a bubble canopy (before anybody else had them) and some design flair, and voila! -the Industrie Aerei Romane 80, Rumania's homegrown fighter, a nimble, and fast mount.

www.aviationart.nl/Fokker_G-1.jpg
Fokker G-1, Holland's best fighter in 1940. Too bad there weren't more of them...

www.secondeguerre.net/Image11.jpg
Polish PZL P.37 Los, Poland's sleek, fast bomber of 1939

www.cmpr.it/Pratica%201998/Macchi%20Mc.202%20%20-1.jpg
Macchi 202, one of Italy's best fighters of WW2.

I've got a soft spot in my heart for Italian, French and Polish designs of the 1930s and 1940s, as you can tell...

Ehhh....maybe I'll leave off the pics of the Amiot 143 and the LWS-6 Zubr....

Appologies to  JohnParris

Up till now I thought the french were rioting for no good reason...then "SOMEONE" reminded them of the French Arc-en-Ciel, transatlantic crosser ,

Crikky I'd be riotin too .

No photo but in "That world" of pretty I love the giant Sigorskis (sp) (my english is worse than my Russian) .

There's a picture (ca 1919) of one landing w/ some .....general strutting about on the parade deck ........it also happened to be the top of the fusalage (frog word) . seat belts are for small childeren and wiminz ....this stupid is walking around ON the outside of the friggin plane ...happy as a clam .
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 5:09:13 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

(Remember he asked for "prettiest"  not evil, wicked mean and nasty like the B-58 (I don't include any Consolidated/Convair products in the actual list as I have to rcuse for family reasons, my Grandfather and his brother did a lot of work for the company and I'm prejudiced)

You can recuse yourself, but don't include me in that (my family all worked for Curtis Wright).

That Hustler is pretty like a petite gal with a D cup chest.  Yeah, it may be wicked and mean.  Yes, it just doesn't look "natural".  None of that matters:

It's an incredibly sexy object, and you can't help but get... umm... "stirred up" when looking at it!  
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 5:20:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 6:28:30 AM EDT
[#20]

THUD!
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 6:38:16 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

"Most asymmetrical aircraft to have ever flown"

I guess the writer has never seen Burt Rutan's Boomerang before.

media.popularmechanics.com/images/tb_9611STTRAA.jpg

Actually, that is NOT asymmetrical... to the air...
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 11:06:21 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
www.mipagina.cantv.net/f14_tomcat/image/f-14-gul-sunrise2.jpg

I love that view of the Tomcat. Looks like it could just rear up, flap its wings, and take off. Too bad it didn't make sense to keep that plane in service. There's no plane in the fleet that looks like it means business the same way.
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 11:34:17 AM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 11/15/2005 11:44:23 AM EDT
[#24]
To me I would have to say

Link Posted: 11/15/2005 5:04:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 5:09:55 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
... One last entry for me.

x2.putfile.com/11/31723262732.jpg

I believe that plane crashed in the middle of the desert out west a while back, and there was a search for a day or two until they found the site, was a nice looking aircraft
ETA: Happened in New Mexico, NTSB Factual Report PDF

My favorite:

Link Posted: 11/15/2005 5:27:20 PM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 11/15/2005 5:46:07 PM EDT
[#28]
6 pages and not the first albatross, camel or DR.I?
somebody please post a pic,,,
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 5:48:56 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think the beech Starship is a great looking airplane. I actually had the pleasure of one fly over me a few years back and the shape of it was stunning to say the least. Today there is only one privately owned one in existance because Beech for some reason decided to buy back all the Starships and destroy them. The reason for this is unclear to this day but one is still privately owned by a person who refused to return his. He bought up every spare part made for it and plans to keep it flying well into the future.

I just saw something on the history channel about the Starship.  They were all bought back by the manufacturer because maintenance was SO expensive.  The one single private owner bought a few airframes and a ton of parts from the manufacturer to keep his one Starship running.  

Yep,they only sold about 29 of them.Kinda hard to spread the cost around. As I said before,they didn't want to go through the 880-990 fiasco(65 880s,37 990s built,plus throw in reclusive Howard Hughes,who would'nt let TWA accept delivery,as he really had no $$$ to pay for them)

But I don't think Beech destroyed them.
I've seen pictures of them all huddled together at one of Beech's facilities.
And Beechcraft won't sell any parts because they want to get the liability over with.
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 6:02:56 PM EDT
[#30]
This is a gorgeous plane:

WBK
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 6:06:48 PM EDT
[#31]
... OK, I know I'm going against my word here, but I would be remiss if I didn't champion my baby just a little:

The MD 900 Explorer

... My favorite all-time "Pretty" aircraft, I guess it has a lot to do with the fact I helped design, engineer and roll-out the first flight-test and production air-vehicle.

Link Posted: 11/15/2005 6:41:12 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
6 pages and not the first albatross, camel or DR.I?
somebody please post a pic,,,

There ya go!

And some of my WW1 faves...

Bristol M1C monoplane fighter

The Bristol M.1C monoplane was an ultra-modern design that was truly ahead of its time.

Unfortunately, precisely because of its design, it was relegated to obscurity and it served only in small numbers in the Macedonian and Middle East theatres where its excellent performance remained relatively unnoticed.

The prototype M.1A was completed in the summer of 1916 and quickly demonstrated that it was highly manoeuvrable and possessed first class handling characteristics. An impressive top speed of 132 mph, an excellent climb rate of in excess of 1,000 ft per min plus an operational ceiling of 20,000 ft coupled with overall excellent pilot visibility all should have ensured its rapid introduction in service on the Western Front. Instead, the "radical" monoplane design was saddled with an officially stated assessment that the landing speed of 49 mph was too high ensured that only 125 were produced for service in less vital theatres.

The Royal Flying Corps was the sole user of type and Canadian pilots saw service while attached with the RFC in the Middle East.

Manufacturer: Bristol (British & Colonial Aeroplane Co.)
Crew/Passengers: one pilot
Power Plant: one 110 hp Le Rhone 9-cylinder rotary piston engine
Performance: Max Speed: 130 mph ( 200 km/h)
Service Ceiling: 20,000 ft (6,096 m) Endurance: 1 hr 45 min
Weights: Empty: 900 lb (408 kg) Gross: 1,348 lb ( 611.5 kg)
Dimensions: Span: 30 ft 9 in ( 9.37 m) Length: 20 ft 5 ½ in ( 6.24 m)
Height: 7 ft 9 ½ in ( 2.37 m)
Armament: one fixed forward Vickers machine gun
Cost: Unknown
Sopwith Triplane

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was the astonishing success of the Sopwith Triplane that induced Anthony Fokker to try the novel layout with what became the Dr.1. The theory on which the triplane was based being that the decreased span and increased wing area would benefit manouverability and climb at the same time. An ideal flying machine with qualities similar to the earlier Pup, the Triplane was produced in 1916 for the R.F.C., but early in 1917 this service expressed a preference for the new SPAD 7, used by the R.N.A.S. Surprisingly the R.N.A.S. offered to exchange their SPADs for the Triplane and the unique exchange duly took place. In the hands of naval pilots, the 'Tripehound' worked wonders and became so well liked that the pilots were reluctant to part with them when the replacement Camels arrived later in the year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPECIFICATIONS
Manufacturer: Sopwith Aviation Company
Type: Fighter
First Service: November 1916
Number Built: 152
Engine(s): Clerget 9Z, 9 cylinder, rotary, 110 hp [82 kw]
Clerget 9B, rotary, 130 hp [96 kw]
Le Rhône, 9 cylinder, 110 hp [82 kw]
Wing Span: 26 ft 6 in  
Length: 18 ft 10 in  
Height: 10 ft 6 in  
Empty Weight: 1,101 lb  
Gross Weight: 1,541 lb  
Max Speed: 117 mph  
Ceiling: 20,500 ft  
Endurance: 2¾ hours
Crew: 1
Armament: 1 synchronized Vickers .303 machine gun

www.greatwarflyingmuseum.com/aircraft/commonwealth/sopwith_triplane.html

Morane Saulnier N

The Morane-Saulnier Type N was a French monoplane fighter aircraft of the First World War. Designed and manufactured by Morane-Saulnier, the Type N entered service in April 1915 with the Aviation Militaire, designated as the MS.5C.1. It also equipped four squadrons of the Royal Flying Corps, in which it was designated the Bullet and was operated in limited numbers by the 19th Squadron of the Imperial Russian Air Service.

While the Type N was a graceful-looking aircraft and utilised an advanced, aerodynamic design, it was not easy to fly due to its stiff controls (using wing warping instead of ailerons) and high landing speed. The Type N mounted a single forward-firing machine gun (either a .303-in Vickers or 7.9 mm Hotchkiss) which used the deflector wedges, first demonstrated on the Morane-Saulnier Type L, in order to fire through the propeller arc. The Type N was not particularly successful — only 49 aircraft were built — and was quickly rendered obsolete by the pace of aircraft development.

www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Morane_Saulnier-Bullet

Link Posted: 11/15/2005 6:57:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Where's the F-8?

The Pitts racer?

Link Posted: 11/15/2005 7:13:54 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Where's the F-8?

There ya go....

Link Posted: 11/15/2005 7:16:18 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Damn sam ! you guys have got nice taste when it comes to airplanes . DH's , Spits  , Hustlers , Starfighters , old Corsiars and a Connie .

I dont have a photo avaliable BUT I always loved the looks of a Granville Bros. R1 Gee Bee racer . I've always heard only Jimmy Doolittle was the only man to surrvive flying one . I think they just kept rebuilding it / them .

That remake doing the shows was awsome

Here's a pic of the "remake doing the shows" at the EAA Fly-in in 1998

Link Posted: 11/15/2005 7:33:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Hard to choose from all the great looking aircraft that have been made, but I like many of the planes built by Grumman.  

Link Posted: 11/15/2005 8:26:16 PM EDT
[#37]
I love the A-20, B-25 and the F-86
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 12:23:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Wut?  No respect for the P-61 Black Widow.  The radar equipped night fighter of WWII.  She's pretty and deadly.

Wikipedia Link
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 1:08:54 AM EDT
[#39]
My top three.

Link Posted: 11/16/2005 4:08:32 AM EDT
[#40]
91101 Thanks THATS WHAT I"M TALKIN BOUT ! OH sweet mother of pearl . "Granny Granville" is looking down ...happy as a clam ! THANKS for the Picture .

Quoted:

Quoted:
Damn sam ! you guys have got nice taste when it comes to airplanes . DH's , Spits  , Hustlers , Starfighters , old Corsiars and a Connie .

I dont have a photo avaliable BUT I always loved the looks of a Granville Bros. R1 Gee Bee racer . I've always heard only Jimmy Doolittle was the only man to surrvive flying one . I think they just kept rebuilding it / them .

That remake doing the shows was awsome

Here's a pic of the "remake doing the shows" at the EAA Fly-in in 1998

home.new.rr.com/msemenas/eaa98gb1.jpg

Link Posted: 11/16/2005 6:58:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Always loved this look:

WBK

Link Posted: 11/16/2005 8:53:31 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow! I was sitting on the beach in LA a few months ago and saw it fly over. I had no idea there was only one left...

Wow indeed, I had not heard about the buyback deal and that there is only one left in the wild... it's certainly a contender for "prettiest airplane".
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 8:58:35 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This is my love...

www.eam.net/jamara/Pilatus/pilatus_porter.jpg

www.modelspot.com/photo/iat04/porter.jpg

members.fortunecity.com/gvanroy1/work/pc6-21.jpg

I have a lot of jumps out of turbo Porters, not particularly fond of 'em.

Here's a real beauty! I have one jump out of one of these.

www.luftfahrt.ch/images/eapconnielandung.jpg

There is a constellation that flys out of the downtown KC airport all the time.
When my cube had a view of the airport airspace, I would see it fly probably twice a month,  I imagine the owner flying it to and from various air shows.
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 9:00:18 AM EDT
[#44]
B1-B Lancer
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 9:17:14 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
tinypic.com/fon0gl.jpg

smartass
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 9:45:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 9:47:51 AM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 11/16/2005 10:05:53 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Ouch - the last two DH Comets pictured were of the early variety that were prone to blowing apart due to stress risers from the corners of the square windows.  
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 10:09:46 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ouch - the last two DH Comets pictured were of the early variety that were prone to blowing apart due to stress risers from the corners of the square windows.  

didn't say I'd fly in one !!  

just thought it looked nice
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 10:20:37 AM EDT
[#50]
What about more pics of the F-16 or the giand assed B-52??????

Scout
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top