Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 9:48:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Because we don't want people to die?

I tell my guys at work all the time, first we're safe, then we do the job.

Sure there is risk of getting hurt at all times, but evaluate what your plan is before you execute it, and make sure it's a safe way to do it. I don't care if theres a chance you'll get get a cut on your hand or a sliver or something as much as I care about the chance of you getting crushed to death or crippled.

Nothing can go wrong at work that can't be fixed, as long as everyone stays safe. We can fix a wall blowout, we can't fix dead people.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 9:56:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Safety rules are written in blood. Atleast in my industry. Once upon a time I was ran over with a forklift and had the driver gone another inch it would have been an amputation.

The countries that don't value safety generally have a poor education system and a lower life expectancy anyways. Just look at the videos of people in India electricuting themselves all the time.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:00:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Females voters.

The average American has become so desensitized to danger, they are incapable of identifying and mitigating it.
View Quote

Quoted:
Because it’s been feminized.
View Quote

FPNI and SPNI.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:01:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Safety rules are written in blood. Atleast in my industry. Once upon a time I was ran over with a forklift and had the driver gone another inch it would have been an amputation.

The countries that don't value safety generally have a poor education system and a lower life expectancy anyways. Just look at the videos of people in India electricuting themselves all the time.
View Quote

I think many safety rules are also written in ‘I need to justify my job and if I don’t come up with some new rule my paycheck is in danger’
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:02:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Nothing great was ever achieved by playing it safe.

It each quarter the focus seems to be on  ‘being safe’

My theory is that we are in a feminized era.
View Quote

Have you ever had a co-worker killed at work?

Or sustain a life changing injury?

This is why we focus on safety!!!
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:03:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Trial Lawyers

View Quote

Have done more to change American society than all the woke activists that get attention.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:04:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Big money in safety.
Safety is something a lot of people want provided to them so perfect government tool for control.
Safety for the most part is an illusion. So for little to no investment safety can be provided at huge profit margins
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:05:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Because common sense is gone, personal responsibility is gone so everything bad is someone else’s fault, then factor in the fact ambulance chasing lawyers sue and settle for $$$. It boils down to to people wanting someone else to pay for their free ride through life.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:06:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Watch some videos of commies in china getting killed in stupid preventable accidents, then say that there shouldn't be some safety measures in place. It can, and has been, way over done in areas but safety isn't necessarily a bad thing in itself. Like anything, once the lawyers and people who want money for doing nothing get involved then it goes from wanting to be safe to wanting to get rich.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:07:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I think many safety rules are also written in ‘I need to justify my job and if I don’t come up with some new rule my paycheck is in danger’
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It can certainly seem that way, but almost all of them are based on either industry experience, or statistics.

I know 3 people that have fallen off bridges on DOT jobs....they all lived luckily, but two got pretty fucked up.

The only reason they fell was because they were not following safety guidelines, rather simple ones too, because it felt inconvenient to do so.

I know lots of guys that will walk a roof with no fall protection, they've been doing it for years and in their mind that justifies it. It only takes one time.

I took a tumble down a roof and my harness caught me once, it would have been a 3 story drop otherwise. My nuts got smashed and it sucked getting spun back around....but that's all that happened.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:08:35 AM EDT
[#11]
We allowed women to vote and have a say in things.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:08:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:09:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:11:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I don’t think OP was talking about workplace safety. I think more along the lines of my gas stove gonna kill me or Timmy has to wear two masks and a respirator to school.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:12:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

List of people to never invite skydiving, freediving, caving, scuba diving, motorcycle riding, traveling, mountain climbing, skiing, ice climbing, para sailing, flying, with me

Aspida1776
View Quote

Are you saying that you don't check your equipment and make sure it is in good shape? You don't make sure your parachute is packed right? Do you check your SCBA and make sure it is working right? Those are all safety related. Yes, safety has been carried too far in some areas of life, but safety is a consideration when doing things.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:17:31 AM EDT
[#16]
There’s safety and then there “safety.”

We go thru ridiculous “safety” trainings and protocols at work that are flat out dumb.

But we also stress safety. Actual, honest to god, safety.

A few weeks ago we had a contractor ignore the actual safety, and he literally caught on fire as he was cooking in the overhead power until the power company turned the juice off…….20 minutes later.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:18:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

My theory is that we are in  a feminized era.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:20:47 AM EDT
[#18]
GD- safety is for pussies, women ruined everything, we are weak and scared

Also GD- I don’t go swimming at the beach because I’m terrified of sharks, and I won’t go on vacation without being strapped like John Wick
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:22:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Seems to be more of a question about fear. "Safefy culture" as described in most these replies, can be a negative consequence of irrational fear. On the other hand, some common sense planning and preparation (AKA safety) can also help reduce fear and increase productivity.

Fear is a pretty deep philosophical subject. Safety, a lot more of a logistical issue.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:26:27 AM EDT
[#20]
because people are fucking stupid and there would be a lot more customers for mr darwin
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:29:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Lawyers.

If you dig a bit, you will find that they are the foundation of nearly every problem in this country.  

Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:30:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Agreed stuff like steel toe boots..   no thanks I’ll take my chances and not have tires miserable feet
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:35:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Are you saying that you don't check your equipment and make sure it is in good shape? You don't make sure your parachute is packed right? Do you check your SCBA and make sure it is working right? Those are all safety related. Yes, safety has been carried too far in some areas of life, but safety is a consideration when doing things.
View Quote

I mean,  the chances your modern SCBA fails is ridiculously slim.  Checking it does not mean it will work 100% when to
You need it anyway..    AED / fire extinguisher sits on wall forever, and generally doesn’t get checked often, but they still seem to work
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:36:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

healthcare costs have risen -- as have the costs associated with litigation

so spending some efforts / money to PREVENT accidents is likely a worthwhile investment
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:40:42 AM EDT
[#25]
I think Maslowe's famous hierarchy of needs can be applied to entire societies, with some tweaks.

It seems inevitable that as we get beyond a sense of focus on more basic needs, people start trying to tweak the system that got them there.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:42:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
"The coddling of the American mind" talks a lot about this, especially with regard to the whole "bad think speech is not safe."

IIRC the big drivers are:
- Educational institutions are actively instilling ideas that run counter to good mental health practice.  For example teaching everyone that their feelings are of utmost importance.
- The toxic effects of social media, esp on Gen Z.
- The lack of unstructured, unsupervised outdoor play.
View Quote

Jonathan Haidt is closer than anyone to nailing the problem we face. He's also essentially unheard of, though I think his efforts are having some initial impact, at least in some universities
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:45:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Also GD- I don’t go swimming at the beach because I’m terrified of sharks, and I won’t go on vacation without being strapped like John Wick
View Quote

This thread was indeed fascinating in the way so many act as if it's the "other" with the safety obsession.

Fear absolutely drives a good deal of dominant topics here in GD, and it's often an irrational, media-induced fear of threats that are all but non-existent, especially relative to those faced and ignored by our ancestors.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:48:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

List of people to never invite skydiving, freediving, caving, scuba diving, motorcycle riding, traveling, mountain climbing, skiing, ice climbing, para sailing, flying, with me

Aspida1776
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
List of people to never invite to a gun range:

Wrangler99

Aspida1776

You his mom or something? I've done most of those things. Not doing skydiving or ice climbing. You and your son have a good trip though. I don't discourage either of you from following your passions. I just prefer to be safe with guns.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:50:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
We just got word that our facility is going to require gloves at all times while in the plant. Even if you are just walking through and are not actually working on anything. We are not sure if this came from corporate safety nazi's or if this is knee jerk because one dumb bitch got a paper cut from a cardboard box.

Full fucking retard. Can't wait to get written up for this.

Most safety people are useless jackasses that belong in hell right next to HR people.
View Quote

My work is the same way. The rules are you have to wear a fall harness at all times on a construction site. So if they are just breaking ground and you are there to unload a truck and get caught with no harness you broke the cardinal rule and lose your job no exceptions. Even though there was nothing there to fall off or anything to attach the harness to.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:53:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Hard times create strong men.
Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men.
Weak men create hard times. You are here

And white suburban women
View Quote
Hard times? Like right now? In America?

95+% of the world's population and history laughs at your definition of 'hard times'.

We've got quite a long way to fall to get to true hard times. The only question is how quick will the fall be and how many die in that fall.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:53:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Risk/Reward
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:56:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Because of liberal white women single moms.
They destroy everything they touch.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:58:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Y'all should move to China if you bitch about safety regulations so much. Want a zero fucks given society, that's what China is.

China factory accident with robots
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:59:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That's the threat of litigation. In regards to safety in workplace.
View Quote

+1

And we need tort reform.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:59:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Trannys first.
View Quote

This lol

To my knowledge, not a single tranny has been pitched off a roof or stoned to death in America.

So why don't they sign right the fuck up and go fight real oppression for their cisters and theytheirs?
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:00:58 AM EDT
[#36]
They’re not…have you seen their waistlines.  People are seriously trying to kill themselves and put others in danger through risky behavior 24/7.  Poor diet is probably #1

They love the “illusion” of safety.  That promotes even worse behavior.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:01:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Uh, because we value life and health and we’re not a 3rd world shithole?

Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:01:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Wrangler99
View Quote

Or take a cross country driving trip with…lol.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:01:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Aspida1776
View Quote

Or on the battle field,piloting an aircraft, doing surgery, working in the ER,police work, fire fighting,logging,crab fishing,

Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:01:52 AM EDT
[#40]
(In regards to the Legislation of safety, not industrial safety and shit like that)

Answer is;

Too many people are scared of FREEDOM
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:04:38 AM EDT
[#41]
You can control people by weaponizing the instinct of self preservation.

Also known as “Safety” when it’s politically necessary.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:07:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Quite simply, the media is filled with fearmongering.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:09:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Safety third.

In a free society safety is your personal responsibility.  You want individual rights? Accept it.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."  

The left loves to change the context of that quote because they love to exploit people’s insecurities for their own political benefit.

Freedom is called an “animating contest” for a reason, it isn’t for the timid or meek.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:23:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Control
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:25:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Aspida1776
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrangler99

Aspida1776
Yes, people are always, almost always, engaged in safety assessments in those activities.  The perception is often that of fearless or reckless behavior, those all being inherently risky endeavors, but in each of those subsets, there is, indeed, a safety culture, sometimes very regimented, other times not, maybe not to the extent of what we see in a work environment, but a work environment is a lot of people, whereas many of those activities are just individual pursuits, with less institutional risk that a workplace would have.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:27:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
You missed the "we should be able to sue stores that fail to keep us safe" posts.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:29:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
People are always engaged in safety assessments in those activities.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrangler99

Aspida1776
People are always engaged in safety assessments in those activities.

Our society in general has a hard time understanding the difference between reasonable mitigation of risks, and outright risk avoidance.

Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:32:47 AM EDT
[#48]
This thread is posted on a board where people refuse to go into a city like Atlanta and carry a gun every day and own nods and plate armor for the lowest of low probability events… clearly obsessed with their own safety.  Then they’ll answer “only wimminz are into safety”.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:35:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Safety third.

In a free society safety is your personal responsibility.  You want individual rights? Accept it.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."  

The left loves to change the context of that quote because they love to exploit people’s insecurities for their own political benefit.

Freedom is called an “animating contest” for a reason, it isn’t for the timid or meek.
View Quote

"Animating contest?" Sounds like some liberal BS. I'm going to buy some land in the middle of nowhere and hide in a cave like a proper conservative.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:40:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Wrangler99
View Quote

Stupid.

He's talking about the excessive and compulsive risk aversion in the US.

At least one large part of the problem is trial lawyers who have no risk to losing a liability case.  We need to become a "loser pays" system so when these ridiculous lawsuits fail the plaintiff pays, including for damaged reputation of the defendant.

The Supreme Court needs to make it clear that rigorous science is used in court.  That means rigorous statistical methods so that juries can't be swayed by emotional clustering phenomena.

This points back to a shitty education system with a bunch of simplistic, superficial, superstitious, gullible jurors. And emotion-driven jurors, i.e., women.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top