BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:11:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NCPatrolAR:
I'm a plank holder in our patrol rifle program and was actually black balled for a number of years because of my push to get rifles into the hands of patrol guys.  While our program is far from great it is coming along and we are about to double the number of carbines at the patrol level.  Right now if all of the patrol district rifles are on the street at once we would be fielding just under 80......and thats in an agency with over 2k employees.
View Quote

This is typical of liberal administrations and liberal cities.  Before my retirement I brought our patrol rifle program from 40 rifles to 250.  Basically every patrol officer was issued a rifle when I left.  I remember in one meeting a Major asking why officers needed assess to two different guns.  I remember going through a training class where DC SWAT officers were telling me they couldn't take their long guns home in their marked take home vehicles and with every SWAT response they would have to drive to their office to retrieve long guns.  I would love to see more red dot pistols on officers hips but that is going to be a long uphill battle.  David
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:22:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Departments are always reactionary, occasionally for the right reason such as the FBI shootout and the switch from 9MM at the time.
Now bullet technology has gotten better and Depts are switching back from .40
Glock Switched shitbags are the least of my worries out there, and don't require anything more than the will to stop the shitheads.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:33:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By d16man:
And yet they won't address the issue that glock switches are not that important to the AFT.
View Quote

They should be, because deregulating them as they are "in common use" should be their priority.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:36:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By -Sabot42-:
AR15 is a weapon of war. Designed to kill as many people as possible. Who are the cops at war with?

If they “need” an AR15 then I “need” an AR15. For the exact same reasons.
View Quote

"Every terrible implement of the soldier is the birthright of the citizen." -Thomas Jefferson.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:37:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NCPatrolAR] [#5]
Originally Posted By 1245xx:

@NCPatrolAR
Haven’t heard that name in a while.
View Quote

well; when you only have 1 guy that brags about carrying 1 on duty it kinda narrows the list of names a weems bit.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:47:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't blame the weapon when the DA doesn't bring charges, or they always plea off the gun crimes on the other cases.

$1 bonds, catch and release.

Bust the criminals for doing criminal shit and throw the book at them.

Hard to put the cat in the bag when they are continuously easy on the shitheads and worst offenders.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:04:30 PM EDT
[#7]

I initially read the caliber thing as a handgun caliber thing, but that could also mean going with more rifles if you think about it.  Theres nothing else talking about changing handguns in the article.
View Quote

Ditto. It's a very poorly written article.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:14:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

There are so many the only realistic way to address it would be to hire more ATF agents.

Let's not go that route.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
And yet they won't address the issue that glock switches are not that important to the AFT.

There are so many the only realistic way to address it would be to hire more ATF agents.

Let's not go that route.

Also, if the ATF wants to let switches come into common use, who are we to object?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:17:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Let's not go that route.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Let's not go that route.
They're not Important to the ATF because they're generally used by the biggest protected class in the country.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:20:45 PM EDT
[#10]

The bold part......yes; officers actually do need to know what suppressive fire is and how to make use of it.

Reading the article it just looks like they are going to increase the number of patrol rifles within the agency....nothing wrong with that.

View Quote

We're not pre-Hollywood shootout. No one is outgunned anymore.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:25:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:40:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By dwhitehorne:
I would love to see more red dot pistols on officers hips but that is going to be a long uphill battle.  David
View Quote

Nah, my county is buying Glock 45s with Acro P2s and TLR-7As.

But this is also a county that has no problem giving away fire apparatus to "sister" counties so they can buy new shit and they fly first class overseas on business development trips to beachside resorts.

So easy to spend other people's money...
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:41:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Let's not go that route.
View Quote

I think he was being sarcastic.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:02:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Make them go back to S & W model 10's (Ban states only).
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:11:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Austin4130:
Don't blame the weapon when the DA doesn't bring charges, or they always plea off the gun crimes on the other cases.

$1 bonds, catch and release.

Bust the criminals for doing criminal shit and throw the book at them.

Hard to put the cat in the bag when they are continuously easy on the shitheads and worst offenders.
View Quote

We have the largest prison percent in the world, but it's not enough. Private prisons need more profit!
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:52:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By HCM3156:

NYPD, LAPD, LASD, Chicago PD,  all have a limited list of duty gun options.

FBI, ICE, DEA and U.S. Marshals, have similar policies.

View Quote

Cant speak for the other departments, but NYPD duty guns are 100% issued by the department. They have a choice of two different Glocks (17&19), and I think they can still get a Sig. The S&W 5900 was grandfathered for those who already have it. You wont see personally owned guns in the holsters of NYPD cops on duty. A backup/off duty gun is authorized and would be personally owned. They have a few different models they can buy and qual on. But on duty the issued gun must be carried. A backup on duty or off duty is the officers choice.

As for Feds, most of the 1811 agencies have a pretty good list of what you can carry if you choose not to carry the issued pistol. Several agencies have had authorized red dots for years. HSI has been issuing red dots at the academy level for more than 3 years now, and those who graduated prior to are doing in service training to become qualified if they want it.

As to the OP, a rifle on patrol is now the standard. For those departments stuck in the 80's they are only doing a disservice to their officers. The reality is the days of the hoodrat with a zip gun or a lorcin 25acp being the norm, is long gone.
Today's criminals are carrying semi autos with extended mags, and even short barreled MSR's are being found more and more among the rich and vibrant, in urban s*!tholes...
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:08:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Not LEO, but have some experience working around them. Biggest issue I've heard is getting sworn staff to shoot more than just qualification training and qual, especially understaffed departments.

Add in that a lot of sworn aren't firearms enthusiasts either. I think the statement "The gun doesn't make the cop" is true, but so is "a cop with excellent proficiency with their service firearms can be much more effective."

No idea if you LEOs practice draw and fire drills, but it couldn't hurt to do so.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:24:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By doyouquaxu:
From the article, it reads more like they're trying to get more (all) officers and deputies to have patrol rifles. Only 100 for the county with 300 on their wishlist and it seems like there's minimal rifles on the streets with the city too. Could be the agencies are also looking to update their training so most LEO don't shoot only at their annual quals.
View Quote
1033 Program some M16 Rifles courtesy of the Taxpayers.

Upgrade with 16in carbine barrels and/or flat tops.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:26:30 PM EDT
[#19]

Let's not go that route.
View Quote
No.  You hire a platoon of US Attorneys to do nothing but file the federal charges on every one of these POS in possession.   Jail them all for 10 years $100,000 fine each, move onto the next liberal shithole.

That is, if said liberal shitholes actually wanted help reducing the black vs black murders and other crime.

The mandatory sentences in the 1994 Crime Bill are the only parts of that law that actually helped.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:03:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NYresq1] [#20]
Originally Posted By stoner63a:
No.  You hire a platoon of US Attorneys to do nothing but file the federal charges on every one of these POS in possession.   Jail them all for 10 years $100,000 fine each, move onto the next liberal shithole.

That is, if said liberal shitholes actually wanted help reducing the black vs black murders and other crime.

The mandatory sentences in the 1994 Crime Bill are the only parts of that law that actually helped.
View Quote

Supposed to be man/min 5 years...

I can't even remember the last time I saw that charged probably more than 8 years ago, and even longer since I saw someone actually get the 5 years. Its normally the first charge the US Attorney's Office bargains away for the mutt to take a plea...

I'd be happy just to see them slap them all with the 5 years. When I started in LE back in '98, this was the be all, end all of easy cases to make and hammer the bad guys in the NYC area. The feds had a squad that would do nothing more than get notified by the NYPD when they arrest a felon for something else and found he had a gun. The feds would charge them with the "felon in possession" and it was an easy stat that got them serious time. But this was back when Rudy G. was cleaning up the city, it was getting safer, and cleaner, and criminals were scared of being arrested. Now? Not so much...
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top