Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/13/2024 8:27:50 PM EDT

My son is looking at University City to do possibly electrical engineering.

I have a friend who went there 40 years ago so his information isn’t current.

I have an acquaintance that taught there for 20+ years up until a few years ago and his information is current.

Any information about Penn State education is welcome!
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 8:30:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LittleBigHorn] [#1]
Easy pipeline to .gov for EE at PSU with the naval yards just east.  After that, options are endless with the defense contractors in the tri state area.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 8:31:27 PM EDT
[#2]
VA Tech grad here, but I have a LOT of friends and coworkers who went to Penn for engineering in the last 10-20 years. It’s absolutely one of the best universities for STEM. From what I can tell, they’re not shoving liberal bullshit down the students throats. Nearly all of my friends that went there are very pro 2A and well rounded.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 8:35:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LittleBigHorn:
Easy pipeline to .gov for EE at PSU with the naval yards just east.  After that, options are endless with the defense contractors in the tri state area.
View Quote

Neighbor of mine went there for engineering and was recruited immediately (job fair on campus) and went to Aberdeen Proving Ground as a civilian employee of the Army.

Only job he ever had and retired 2 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 8:37:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JQ66] [#4]
Well maybe not a real engineer but a metallurgist, and I graduated from PSU 34 years ago.
When I go up for a football game or travel through for some other reasons, I don't even recognize the campus and town of state college.  Its all grown so much.   No longer the little town with a big university next to it.

But trout fishing is great all around there.   I had a light course load my final semester, so I was able to go out fishing almost every afternoon after my last class.

I was the first in my class (small, only about ten of us in metallurgy that year, now its just materials science and engineering) to land a job with a big steel company.  I guess I just interviewed well, wasn't acting like a douche, and had decent grades.   Not straight As but respectable.  Meanwhile one of the top students couldn't get past the first interviews on campus because he no doubt did act like a douchebag, almost all the time.   One of the professors had to intervene on his behalf to get him a job  - but he did end up staying with that company for 20+ years until they had a major downsizing.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:54:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By JQ66:
Well maybe not a real engineer but a metallurgist, and I graduated from PSU 34 years ago.
When I go up for a football game or travel through for some other reasons, I don't even recognize the campus and town of state college.  Its all grown so much.   No longer the little town with a big university next to it.

But trout fishing is great all around there.   I had a light course load my final semester, so I was able to go out fishing almost every afternoon after my last class.

I was the first in my class (small, only about ten of us in metallurgy that year, now it’s just materials science and engineering) to land a job with a big steel company.  I guess I just interviewed well, wasn't acting like a douche, and had decent grades.   Not straight As but respectable.  Meanwhile one of the top students couldn't get past the first interviews on campus because he no doubt did act like a douchebag, almost all the time.   One of the professors had to intervene on his behalf to get him a job  - but he did end up staying with that company for 20+ years until they had a major downsizing.
View Quote

Thank you everyone!

My son is going down for a visit later this month.  It’s 8 hours away.  The other school he’s looking at is University of New Hampshire.  Much closer.  Smaller school.  Less expensive.  

But Penn State is massive and has a ton of grads so more people in the business that are familiar with its reputation.  The classes can be 400 students.  He will have to hustle.  He’s smart but everyone is smart at that point and then it boils down to how hard you work.

He’s leaning towards Penn State for now.  It’s tough to make decisions at that age when you don’t have the life experience.

@JQ66  I have a degree in chemistry from UPENN and find metallurgy fascinating.  Life is only long enough to get good at one thing though.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:02:50 AM EDT
[#6]

g.
View Quote

I took two semesters of Fly Fishing at PSU my junior and senior years.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:15:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I did my BS and MS at PSU in computer engineering and computer science, which is now the same department (EECS). It wasn't back then, but there was overlap as some of the courses were listed under both EE and CE.

I will have graduated 20 years ago in exactly a month. My graduate advisor is now the department chair. It's an excellent school, among the best in the country for those disciplines. There is a good network of alumni, especially down here in the NCR.

The school itself has grown considerably. Football isn't what it was, largely because of the NCAA's broad destruction of the sport (see Nick Saban's comments if you want a succinct summary). Still, game days are a blast. The engineering school is unlikely to have any politics involved. They are truly academic elite, concerned only with their research and funding (none of which is tied to politics). The school overall is no different than any other large school. I am sure during his time there will be multiple protests and sit-ins by the liberal retards and professional students about the same idiotic bullshit that went on 20 years ago.

If you're interested I could probably get a meeting set up with Dr. Narayanan, assuming he's around.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:30:48 AM EDT
[#8]
US News rankings

PSU #32
UoNH #132
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:38:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By WDEagle:
US News rankings

PSU #32
UoNH #132
View Quote

Worthwhile to go in depth more for rankings.

My last alma mater, GMU, has a good CS program (top 50) but a great cybersecurity program (top 10).
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:47:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Grew up in State college, but didn't go to Penn State. It's a great area, even though I moved out 20 years ago, was still nice when I helped my parents move out about 5 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:47:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I went to Penn State Erie, which was (still might be) a big time engineering campus. All my friends were in engineering, but I was Psych

Degree still says Penn State University. Might be cheaper to hit up a branch campus for a couple years.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:48:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: patdale] [#12]
Originally Posted By kpacman:

Neighbor of mine went there for engineering and was recruited immediately (job fair on campus) and went to Aberdeen Proving Ground as a civilian employee of the Army.

Only job he ever had and retired 2 years ago.
View Quote
Same story for me. Have been here 14 years. There are a lot of Penn State grads here. I went to a branch campus two years then University Park.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:28:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Great engineering school. Unfortunately, most of the state schools don’t offer many merit scholarships unless you can check boxes. My daughter was accepted there but ended up going to Lehigh University for biomedical engineering. Don’t avoid private schools due to their cost. If you are a strong student, they can be pretty generous and end up costing less. My daughter loves Lehigh and it is a top rated engineering school as well.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:39:20 PM EDT
[#14]
My son is 10 years out. Electrical engineering. He has a great career. Was in the top 1% at the engineering college and was handpicked for a great job. Did his masters the following year.

Weather in state college sucks, but it doesn’t seem to matter to students. My son still has many friends from his years there.

Not sure what he was during college but he is conservative now. We discuss politics all the time and are in agreement.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:54:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Most big .gov funded universities are woke as hell.  If he has the right upbringing he may be able to work through it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:21:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Spade:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

g.

Was that with Joe Humphreys?   If so you’re lucky.   I only managed to get the half credit casting physical Ed class (PSU requires everyone to take 3 credit hours of phys Ed classes for undergraduate - they have an huge variety of subjects/activities to pick from)
But that casting class was very valuable in improving my fly casting technique which lead to a big jump in the number of fish I would catch.  But I am rusty now though I still love fly fishing.  Joe taught that course.   The Trout Angling n class was just about impossible to get into.  I think there were only 15 or so spots and it was one of the most requested Phys Ed courses.  

After Joe retired there was a guy named Mark Belden who taught it for a while.  He was also the instructor for the survival and land navigation / orienteering class I took.   That was a good one.   And I took a judo class as well.
I think the fly fishing course are now taught by George Daniel.   He has written several books on fly fishing and some utube videos.   He’s a pretty good presenter from what I’ve seen of him at some fly fishing expos.  

And you also cannot discount the PSU alumni network.  There are a lot out there.   Maybe won’t help so much with the DEI garbage at big corporations- but maybe those sort of places are best avoided anyways.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:26:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By BLK74:
Great engineering school. Unfortunately, most of the state schools don’t offer many merit scholarships unless you can check boxes. My daughter was accepted there but ended up going to Lehigh University for biomedical engineering. Don’t avoid private schools due to their cost. If you are a strong student, they can be pretty generous and end up costing less. My daughter loves Lehigh and it is a top rated engineering school as well.
View Quote

That is an excellent point. Before he got his full-ride scholarship, my son Could have gone to Vanderbilt for less thnt Auburn because of massive grants and endowments.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:26:18 PM EDT
[#18]
My cousin teaches there but not engineering. Near as I can tell if you want to have severe indoctrination, go there. She's a typical dumbshit raging liberal now and her dumbshit views I think really blossomed there.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:28:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I went to a couple football camps there but the coach was a real pain in the ass
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:30:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LnWlf] [#20]
Beautiful campus. We visit the area frequently for the restaurants. Sorry I don’t have any contacts in the engineering department though

FYI: it’s very liberal/progressive like most major universities
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:37:53 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

Lehigh still a drinking school with an engineering problem?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:39:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:56:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JQ66] [#23]
Originally Posted By DeltaV42:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DeltaV42:

I started at Lehigh.   No financial help from the school.  Zero.   and no (AF)rotc scholarship either - didn’t want to be a missileer anyways (yes someone’s got to do it), and there were other option even for people like me with coke bottle glasses back then.    But didn’t work out, for the best I suppose.   I probably would’ve hated it.    
That was when steel and manufacturing started its death in Pittsburgh with massive layoffs.    So my Dad lost his job at Westinghouse, and PSU at the time was very cheap.   Not so anymore.   But at least while at Lehigh I was exposed to Metallurgy.   I had no idea what it was before.   I was amazed with what we were shown in class with forge presses, plate mills, and Al the different alloys.   And I graduated from PSU with a very low student loan debt that was paid off in 2-3 years, ahead of plan too.  
I was not meant to be an electrical engineer - no passion for it.  

Do they even still have all the fraternities on the hill?   Lots of things have changed in 30-40 years.   Crazy it’s so long ago - seems like it was someone else’s life.   I drove through the town of Bethlehem a number of years ago - it was maybe only 12- or so years removed from my time there.   It was unrecognizable- very gentrified, compared to the run down side of the steel town mid 80s.  The campus had changed (some of that while I was there with the new library).  No more little hole in the wall diners making chill dogs and cheap breakfasts.    The one place left had no idea chili dogs used to be called “greekers” there at one time.   Greekers because so many of the HD shops were owned by Greek families - like Yoccos which was Lee Iaccocas family (a Lehigh alum).
And the school doesn’t even call themselves the “Engineers” anymore.  They have been the “mountain hawks” for some time.   I guess it made all the business majors feel inadequate.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:01:54 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

IME, state colleges, particularly in the south, offer lots of merit aid, and private endowment schools offer need-based aid. The very top of the ratings schools that are hardest to get into are also the most generous with need-based aid, but you're still going to pay full price if your income is too high.

For people with a household income that's under $100K though the top private schools are very affordable, if you can get in. Acceptance rates are much lower than they used to be.

I know the honors college at Penn State is one of the best in the country.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:12:00 PM EDT
[#25]

Was that with Joe Humphreys?   If so you’re lucky.   I only managed to get the half credit casting physical Ed class (PSU requires everyone to take 3 credit hours of phys Ed classes for undergraduate - they have an huge variety of subjects/activities to pick from)
But that casting class was very valuable in improving my fly casting technique which lead to a big jump in the number of fish I would catch.  But I am rusty now though I still love fly fishing.  Joe taught that course.   The Trout Angling n class was just about impossible to get into.  I think there were only 15 or so spots and it was one of the most requested Phys Ed courses.  

After Joe retired there was a guy named Mark Belden who taught it for a while.  He was also the instructor for the survival and land navigation / orienteering class I took.   That was a good one.   And I took a judo class as well.
I think the fly fishing course are now taught by George Daniel.   He has written several books on fly fishing and some utube videos.   He’s a pretty good presenter from what I’ve seen of him at some fly fishing expos.  

And you also cannot discount the PSU alumni network.  There are a lot out there.   Maybe won’t help so much with the DEI garbage at big corporations- but maybe those sort of places are best avoided anyways.  
View All Quotes

g.

It was with Mark, I believe. Joe Humphreys came and gave a guest lecture on casting, which was ridiculous. We were in the gym, he was talking to us, and was just casually nailing a pie plate on the other side of the gym while seeming to barely pay attention to it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:31:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By C-4:

Thank you everyone!

My son is going down for a visit later this month.  It’s 8 hours away.  The other school he’s looking at is University of New Hampshire.  Much closer.  Smaller school.  Less expensive.  

But Penn State is massive and has a ton of grads so more people in the business that are familiar with its reputation.  The classes can be 400 students.  He will have to hustle.  He’s smart but everyone is smart at that point and then it boils down to how hard you work.

He’s leaning towards Penn State for now.  It’s tough to make decisions at that age when you don’t have the life experience.

@JQ66  I have a degree in chemistry from UPENN and find metallurgy fascinating.  Life is only long enough to get good at one thing though.
View Quote

The PSU alumni that I have worked with or that have worked for me have been good people and solid engineers. Nothing wrong with PSU as a choice at all.

WRT to PSU vs any smaller school, don't. Engineering departments eat resources like crazy, so to have a really good engineering department - and thus have respect in engineering circles to get a job - it needs to be a top 50 or so engineering school. Smaller universities with smaller departments, outside of some really specialized places like Lehigh or Harvey Mudd, can't really compete. By the same token, don't set your sights on a university reknowned for its research budget, those schools often as not do a lackadaisical to terrible job with their undergrads, while being a Mecca for grad students. I believe IIRC PSU is a land grant college, and land grant schools tend to take the undergrad teaching role more seriously.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:22:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By VVinci:

The PSU alumni that I have worked with or that have worked for me have been good people and solid engineers. Nothing wrong with PSU as a choice at all.

WRT to PSU vs any smaller school, don't. Engineering departments eat resources like crazy, so to have a really good engineering department - and thus have respect in engineering circles to get a job - it needs to be a top 50 or so engineering school. Smaller universities with smaller departments, outside of some really specialized places like Lehigh or Harvey Mudd, can't really compete. By the same token, don't set your sights on a university reknowned for its research budget, those schools often as not do a lackadaisical to terrible job with their undergrads, while being a Mecca for grad students. I believe IIRC PSU is a land grant college, and land grant schools tend to take the undergrad teaching role more seriously.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By VVinci:

Thank you everyone!

Got it!  Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:24:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By fish223:
My daughter is starting at Penn State in August.
I'll have to keep an eye out for BFL's
View Quote

@fish223

Awesome!
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:28:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firearmsenthusiast] [#29]

I have an acquaintance that taught there for 20+ years up until a few years ago and his information is current.

View Quote

3 of my co-workers went there.  2 left with masters degrees in Mechanical Engineering and one a Ph.D in Chemical Engineering.  They had good experiences there and have had successful careers since.  Can't be all that bad.  If they still offer a combined program for a master's do that, way faster and cheaper that way.  M.S. is pretty much the working degree in engineering these days anyways.  Also his graduate work counts towards hours for a PE, which can be useful for an EE.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:12:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Firearmsenthusiast:

3 of my co-workers went there.  2 left with masters degrees in Mechanical Engineering and one a Ph.D in Chemical Engineering.  They had good experiences there and have had successful careers since.  Can't be all that bad.  If they still offer a combined program for a master's do that, way faster and cheaper that way.  M.S. is pretty much the working degree in engineering these days anyways.  Also his graduate work counts towards hours for a PE, which can be useful for an EE.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Firearmsenthusiast:

My friend got an MS and worked for BAE so that’s good to know about the MS.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:19:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Grew up there as a faculty brat

Joe and Mark B are family friends

the PSU Engineering program is designed to wash out 45 percent of the undergrad freshmen in their junior year

they use bad pedagogy like scheduling all the finals on the same day

why?

because all those years of tuition dollars are used by the college

the failed engineers then have to patch together a major and hopefully not waste 2-300 level class investments that are not useful in their new major
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:23:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Pair_of_ACES:
I went to a couple football camps there but the coach was a real pain in the ass
View Quote

What you did there, I seent it
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:52:29 PM EDT
[#33]
University Park/State College is one of the best academic environments a person could ask for. It's a pretty unique place.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:00:43 PM EDT
[#34]
BSEE here, Bucknell Class of 78, damn glad to meet you!  

I could have gone to PSU (and others) on a  sports scholarship but loved Bucknell, which didn't give athletic scholarships at the time.  Luckily, back then, college wasn't insanely expensive like it is now.

In hindsight, I had a great college experience but the BSEE education was not that great and probably would have been better at PSU.

That being said, I have asked dozens of EE's in the semiconductor industry and to a one they wouldn't want their kid to go EE.  Go CS instead.  Now, domestic EE's are getting hard to find and the immigrant pressure will always be there, but maybe a contrarian strategy might work.

My nephew just graduated from PSU with a CS degree in data analytics and robotics, instant job out of school.  Smaller schools won't offer those specializations.  FWIW.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:16:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Sorry just a Penn State Cyber Security here
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:25:51 PM EDT
[#36]

It was with Mark, I believe. Joe Humphreys came and gave a guest lecture on casting, which was ridiculous. We were in the gym, he was talking to us, and was just casually nailing a pie plate on the other side of the gym while seeming to barely pay attention to it.
View Quote

Joe did that the first day of the casting class.   Standing about even with the foul shooting line in the old field house, does a double haul (maybe just a single?) to the other end of the basketball court, and that fly line just keeps sailing until it hits the bleachers above the net on the opposite end.

We were graded in the casting class at the end by hitting a 3' circle with a maybe 12" bullseye center, from 5 yards out to whatever the distance is to the other sideline.  The first day of the class we had bait casting rods and reels out  - i never used one before, just spinning reels.  And first cast the line got itself into a massive birdsnest.   But by the end I was routinely hitting the bullseye all the way out.   But I haven't touched a baitcasting reel since.
Best class i took, ever.   I can always feed myself with fish now, even if there's no place for me in any steel or specialty metals mills.

They have such a huge selection of courses to pick from.  I wish back then I had taken a beekeeping - apiary class when I was there.  Even if they hadn't accepted it as any technical or other elective.  I did take the on line version at the beginning of the chyna virus.

I need to get up the centre/huntington for anything.   It is such a nice area with the long mountain ridges.   Even if they arent great mountain like out west, its still one of the prettiest areas of the country

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:59:13 PM EDT
[#37]

if you know the lions club you might meet the mayor and the fishing is extra fine in his backyard
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:55:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By doc_Zox:
Grew up there as a faculty brat

Joe and Mark B are family friends

the PSU Engineering program is designed to wash out 45 percent of the undergrad freshmen in their junior year

they use bad pedagogy like scheduling all the finals on the same day

why?

because all those years of tuition dollars are used by the college

the failed engineers then have to patch together a major and hopefully not waste 2-300 level class investments that are not useful in their new major
View Quote

@doc_Zox

I’m trying to impart how important it is to work as hard as he can the first year so he can always throttle back.  I’ve read the attrition rate is ~ 50% nationwide.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:56:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By torstin:
University Park/State College is one of the best academic environments a person could ask for. It's a pretty unique place.
View Quote

@torstin

Can you expand on the reasons?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:02:05 PM EDT
[#40]

@torstin

View Quote
Reason 1, there are very few serial killer visits from I-80
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:03:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doc_Zox] [#41]
Reason 2: the lambos and masserattis run about town by the undergrad Korean engineering students seldom crash into houses at 120 mph
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:06:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Reason 3, the local FBI agents keep the NYC chinese police agents from mostly not compromising everyones GPA
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:07:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Reason 4, the stategameland rifle range in Scotia
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:08:06 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

Got an engineering degree from UNH in 2010, not electrical but know a few who enjoyed the program and got good jobs after. I am an active alumni and participate in events routinely at the college of engineering and physical sciences so if you have any questions ask away.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:10:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Reason 5: Its only $1200 a month to live 4 up in a townhouse with a pool and visiting NYC bentley driving, white korean girls that are hunting  a suitable jr Samsung executive track, 20 year old husband
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:11:14 PM EDT
[#46]

@torstin

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By torstin:

@torstin

It's the middle of nowhere. Cow country. The closest things to cities are 2.5 hours (Pittsburgh) and 3 hours (Philly) away. If you can stay out of the party scene, there aren't a lot of distractions.

I used to call State college a suburb of nowhere. It's kinda like that, neighborhoods, schools, without a "big city" to support it (and the downsides that big cities bring).
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:12:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Reason 6, 45 year old alumni with a SC area football party house
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:14:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By doc_Zox:
Reason 4, the stategameland rifle range in Scotia
View Quote

Scotia and the game lands off circleville road/valley Vista drive are awesome. When I was a kid I used to go up there with my bike and spend the whole day just riding around.

There still there, too. When I went home I'd go trail running in there, 10-12 miles easy without seeing another person.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:16:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Reason 7: PSU has a huge engineering school with state of the art technology, like the 1946 secret underwater torpedo testing tank and the 3d sintering laser labs that rebuild Blackhawk turbine parts run by the Applied Research Lab
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:17:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Reason 8, 45,000 students in a 2 road town with 35,000 residents.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top