Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 4/27/2024 11:42:12 PM EDT
I know back in the day most people I knew didn't really talk about their hobby with those who weren't also gun guys. Fast forward to now and the gun "hobby" has it's whole specific culture from influencers to branded clothing. It still feels taboo sometimes to post a range day pic on a social media platform to me.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:42:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Covert
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:47:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: delemorte] [#2]
Depends. With my friends I don't care. At work or in the general public. Covert.

Don't talk politics, religion or guns with randos
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:49:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duke117] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By delemorte:

View Quote

Or better yet.. don’t talk with randos at all.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:52:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Depends. With my friends I don't care. At work or in the general public. Convert.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:52:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm retired so I am generally overt.

However, I recall mentioning a new gun purchase to a life-long lib from back in my high school days. She had asked me what's new, so I told her.

The expression on her face simultaneously reflected fear, pain and sorrow. As they say, priceless.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:53:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Covert-ish

I have no reason to hide. It's not like the Federal Government doesn't know I have guns. As far as the State and local governments go, this is Alabama.

I don't have any reason to keep things secret from family, friends, or work either.

That being said, there is zero reason for me to advertise, so I don't.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:54:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I live in Wyoming....
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:59:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I do not advertise on my truck or house.

But I do wear 2A type stuff and do try to spread the gospel on firearm ownership when asked about it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:03:02 AM EDT
[#9]
LOL at people with accounts and posting here saying "covert"

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:08:55 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't put stickers on my truck and rarely wear clothes with guns or gun company logos on them. The biggest reason is I live in an apartment complex and I don't want to give people any ideas that there may be anything worth stealing from my truck while I'm sleeping or from my apartment when I'm away.

I'm a white male military vet in the rural South, though, so I guarantee everybody simply assumes I own guns.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:09:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Pretty covert.

A ton of people around here have 2A shirts/hats/stickers, to the point it's probably a lifestyle brand. Which I'm good with, I just don't personally do it.

As far as discussions, I have no problem talking about it as long as I have a good read on the person. I do keep it general, no point in telling people I have a gun on me at that moment, or what's at home in the safe.

I don't usually tell people about other interests or hobbies either. I don't get specific with small talk about where I live, how much property I own, what vehicles I have, family, or really anything. I'm extremely private.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:19:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Overt

I am a gunsmith

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:22:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Relatively overt. I talk with other gun enthusiasts a lot. Generally try not to sound Dale Gribble level of wacky but I probably fail at that.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:30:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PR361] [#14]
Originally Posted By FistPeso:
Covert
View Quote

I don’t advertise or bring it up, don’t wear tacti-cool clothing or branded shirts, but if someone asks, I don’t shy away, I’m honest.

I try to go through life as a gray man.

I don’t feel odd at all posting photos of a range day on my social media, since Arfcom IS my only social media….
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:37:15 AM EDT
[#15]
I live in N Idaho, pushing a shopping cart full of ammo around Walmart is always a conversation starter.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:41:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Covert.

No Profile like a Low Profile.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:47:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Overt.
I live in a one horse town in the desert.
Everyone knows I'm a shooter.
Hell, Everyone knows everything about everybody.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:53:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ronin76] [#18]
I am nominally covert until the given crowd I am with finds out - then it's "let it all hang out, baby!"

In my current gig (med-sized IT contracting firm) I wasn't saying much about it although one of the people there knew me from a military group. One day my personal external hard drive wouldn't work so the owner, who I am friends with, tells me he'll download the contents for me. The next day, after he had seen my photo album, he tells me that he didn't know how serious I am about guns. He grew up watching westerns and action movies and really wanted a chance to do some shooting.

A couple months later he tells me that his accountant told him do spend a bunch of money or he would be paying even more in taxes - so we get tickets arranged, an AirBnB in the US where my arsenal is stored, and we take off for a few days to do a bunch of shooting (100% on the company dime) - handguns, EBR's shotguns, full-auto... all out in the desert in the middle of nowhere. We shot a lot of video - hand-held as well as his drone shots - so he put it into a 5 minute video and shows it off to the rest of the company as well as some of our close clients.

I kinda wonder if most of my Japanese co-workers just think that all former Marines have an arsenal stashed away somewhere.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:02:47 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't open carry is covert. But I live in a neighborhood that's mainly military, former military, or retired military.

Usually talking to neighbors guns and ammo come up.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:33:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Not the first thing I tell people, but if it comes up, it comes up

No stickers or non gun forum posting of guns, generally speaking. Everything in it's place

If i lived on idaho, the same would apply, it would look a little different
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:42:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Discretion is the better part of valor and all that.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:13:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Overt.

Trying to normalize it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:18:16 AM EDT
[#23]
It's not anyone else's business and it isn't up for discussion.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:19:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Extremely covert.  I don't even talk about guns on gun forums.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:20:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scoobysmak] [#25]
Originally Posted By Missilegeek:
LOL at people with accounts and posting here saying "covert"

View Quote

I see your from CO........

/sar.....dat F bee Eye knows all......
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:27:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Overt as fuck. Being all sly and covert is exactly what the left wants so future generations have no frame of reference or experience.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:34:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Covert.

I live behind enemy lines.
Very few people know about my 2nd ammendment lifestyle
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:37:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:37:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Depends. With my friends I don't care. At work or in the general public. Convert.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:43:00 AM EDT
[#30]
I don't wear it on my sleeve, but I don't keep it a secret either. I've only ever had a few people take issue with it in my whole life.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:03:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Do I go around advertising that I'm into the shooting sports? No, even though I live in a second amendment friendly state I still prefer to keep my private life... private.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:43:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Overt.

I don't give a damn if it scares anti-2A pearl clutchers.

I don't remember any founding fathers signing "Anonymous"
on our Declaration of Independence.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:45:28 AM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:02:54 AM EDT
[#34]
In between?

I don't hide it, but I also don't flaunt it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:11:11 AM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

Yup....

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:18:03 AM EDT
[#36]
I conservatively estimate that “gun owner” makes up 95% of my personality and I tell everyone.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:58:21 AM EDT
[#37]
I don't care.

But I also dress decent and like a normal human being. No 5.11 style tactical garbage here.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:16:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Covert.

Most people know me for my fly fishing and golf habits. Few know I’m actually just the evolved form of the Appalachian Guerrilla I started off as.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:10:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JimEb] [#39]
I’ve got one firearm themed t-shirt….a Palmetto State Armory souvenir from Greenville, SC.

Any firearm stickers go on the inside of a garage cabinet door.

Did get the rep at work for being a gun guy because I worked part time in a gun store.  I didn’t advertise that it’s just that you’d run into your day job coworkers in the gun store.  Was interesting because some coworkers I never imagined would be gun people are hardcore.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:14:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AK-12] [#40]
I talk about it with those I know closely, but with things like RFLs and the gov trying to use doctors, etc... to collect information about gun ownership from people I don't advertise it.

There are also many subcultures ranging from Fudd to night vistion and body armor to NFA enthusiast. I don't really share where I'm at on that spectrum with anybody.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:18:45 AM EDT
[#41]
WV.

Whats to hide?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:19:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cayman_shen] [#42]
I don't make it my whole personality, but I'll post shooting pics on FB or wear a gun hat in public. No stickers on my car or going around dressed like a mall ninja or anything like that though.

I teach high school in a rural area, and though I run a risk, I am fairly open about my hobby at work. Helps me bond with the country boys who hate school.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:22:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MartinSsempa] [#43]
Overt. The best way to protect gun ownership is to normalize and promote it. If more people own guns especially openly, it will be that much harder to confiscate them.

Trying to secretly hoard guns in your basement like some paranoid schizo just means there will be more stuff to take if and when confiscation arises.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:24:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Antigunners wear their politics on their sleeve. They proselytize everywhere they go. They put stickers on their cars and in their front yards. They infiltrate the schools and teach their "all guns are evil" ideology to generations of children. They sneak their messaging into media and film, both openly and quietly, in the background. They have huge "public service" messaging campaigns. They nationally organize and fund prosecutors in local races specifically to enforce their views on guns. At least 99.9% of all messaging anyone receives about guns is overwhelmingly negative.

Meanwhile, gun owners are like "I don't talk to people about guns. It's nobody's business." While simultaneously crying, "they're taking our rights away! Why doesn't anyone care about gun rights anymore?"

Once again, the right loses because of stupid naivety and willful ignorance.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:28:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By MartinSsempa:
Overt. The best way to protect gun ownership is to normalize and promote it. If more people own guns especially openly, it will be that much harder to confiscate them.

Trying to secretly hoards guns in your basement like some paranoid schizo just means there will be more stuff to take if and when confiscation arises.
View Quote

This.

I'm covert in public, I've been a 2A disciple trying to bring as many to gun-salvation as possible at work. I'm finding more and more closet gun enthusiasts, mostly women. I just invited a few co-workers yesterday to our ARFCOM GAHTF range and six showed up (one is now an ARFCOM member, and another plans to join).

Without making yourself a target or compromising your OPSEC, I think we should all fight to normalize and promote our American gun-culture...be fucking proud of it! I understand some live in Marxist anti-2A hellholes, some environments aren't conducive to being overt, but you should always be looking for opportunities to expand our gun-culture to those who show any interest at all.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:28:40 AM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

That sums it up nicely
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:47:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Gunner226:
Antigunners wear their politics on their sleeve. They proselytize everywhere they go. They put stickers on their cars and in their front yards. They infiltrate the schools and teach their "all guns are evil" ideology to generations of children. They sneak their messaging into media and film, both openly and quietly, in the background. They have huge "public service" messaging campaigns. They nationally organize and fund prosecutors in local races specifically to enforce their views on guns. At least 99.9% of all messaging anyone receives about guns is overwhelmingly negative.

Meanwhile, gun owners are like "I don't talk to people about guns. It's nobody's business." While simultaneously crying, "they're taking our rights away! Why doesn't anyone care about gun rights anymore?"

Once again, the right loses because of stupid naivety and willful ignorance.
View Quote

I agree with most of what you say but it is a bit more nuanced.

Most anti gunners are just as lazy and apathetic as gun owners. The anti gunners doing everything that you described are paid to do so. It's their fulltime job. Look at Shannon Watts and Everytown for Gun Safety which is funded by billionaire Michael Bloomberg.

Gun owners have no equivalent or corollary. The excuse of having to go to work may be tired and worn out but it's true. Most people on this message board can barely take a day off to see a doctor for their own health let alone protest at the local city hall on a weekday at noon.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:55:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Glocked] [#48]
Meh, I’m solidly middle. Jeans and a T-shirts for work and around town usually. I don’t wear any gun branded stuff, or any of the 5.11 kind of brands.

I wear a bunch of shirts with quotes usually. Enough that fellow gun guys could probably spot it. I have a couple that have stuff like “Stay strapped or get clapped” and attributing it to George Washington.

No gun stickers outside. I’ve an old gun locker I really only use for storage. All 3 of my nieces have been decorating it for a decade or so with the free stickers that companies send.

Sure. I talk guns with some people if they’re gun guys/gals, it’s generally pretty easy to pick up from the get go if they’re casual gun owners, gun enthusiasts, and fellow gun nuts.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:58:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Publicly I'm covert to the extreme. I don't have neighbors close by to keep an eye on things so I don't even carry shooting/hunting equipment out to or in from a vehicle if there is a car going past on the road. I don't want somebody making my stuff their stuff at a steep discount.

I don't wear much firearm related clothing either.

However, I do my best to bring people into the culture.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:39:28 AM EDT
[#50]
I own one Nine Line hoodie. Aside from that concealed means concealed. I give away every sticker that comes in the mail.

I work in a hospital in the city so I don't discuss my hobbies other than motorcycles with co-workers. They're liberals, all of them.

Back home in small town USA I've typically always got a rifle of some variety in my truck. Impromptu shooting contests or other opportunities frequently pop up amongst my friend circle.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top