BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 24
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:14:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trunalimunumaprzure] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:

Maybe your parents shouldn’t have been so selfish to live in a rural area to “homestead” and “hobby farm” instead of living in suburbia with school-aged children to socialize and build networks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:
Originally Posted By Trunalimunumaprzure:

lol, I didn't even START making minimum wage until high school. Kind of hard to go get a W2 job with no fucking car or drivers license. Was I supposed to walk 17 miles one way to town everyday to flip burgers at 14?

Wait... I bet the GigaChad's™ did it uphill both ways in the snow barefoot.

Maybe your parents shouldn’t have been so selfish to live in a rural area to “homestead” and “hobby farm” instead of living in suburbia with school-aged children to socialize and build networks

We lived out there because back then that's where the poor trailer trash lived. Houses in town were where the rich people lived who could afford a house that wasn't on wheels and could afford to pay for town services and taxes.

It wasn't until our resident 87% badass brigade tamed the wilderness that it became fashionable to live in the sprawling, rural palaces that our betters who endlessly need to put us poors in our place constantly post about on here.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:14:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Back before government intervention with student loans.

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:17:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Why did college get so expensive?  fucking .gov loans caused the problem.  No one forced them to take out loans, why can they force the rest of us to pay for it?
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:18:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:

Keep believing that…and things will always be hard for you.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
Originally Posted By BourbonBeast:
Don’t use math on the boomers, they will tell you 2+2 does not equal 4 just so that they don’t have to admit that there’s even a chance that things were easier for them.

Keep believing that…and things will always be hard for you.

@KILLERB6, don’t worry about me. I have succeeded despite the much harsher economic reality that I grew up in compared to the boomers. Even adjusted for inflation, I make much more money than any of them do/did and my mortgage is locked in at a nice 2.7%.

Most of that success comes from my ability to do math

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:19:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By dirtyboy:
Why did college get so expensive?  fucking .gov loans caused the problem.  No one forced them to take out loans, why can they force the rest of us to pay for it?
View Quote

those goddamn time traveling zoomers who went back and got laws passed to get the government into the student loan business are to blame!

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:20:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Scalped:

Thank you kindly, sir. I hope to be mildly proficient with it like I am with all things in life
View Quote

You're welcome, sir. Self-awareness is the first step on the path to improvement. You got this.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:22:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I love the boomer-millennial fights on ARFCOM. It's like being at the zoo and watching the monkeys sling shit at each other. I am easily entertained. Only silent gen and gen x in my immediate family.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:23:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SparticleBrane:

If there's one thing Boomers love to do, it's brag about how they can use outdated technology.
View Quote

That electronic device you were talking about earlier, that boomers supposedly can't navigate? It has a whole lot of machine code in it. Anything that has a processor in it, has machine code in it. It wouldn't function without it.

There's more machine code in the world now than there has been at any time in human history.

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:24:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Millennials as a whole are a whiny trash generation.

Ever notice how NOTHING fucking works anymore?  Who runs middle management now? Millennials.

Worthless.

The only ones more worthless...their shitty parents.

Waaaaah!

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:28:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By primo:

View Quote

Then don't go to college.

If I was young I would not go for a number of reasons.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:31:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By terryj:
I love the boomer-millennial fights on ARFCOM. It's like being at the zoo and watching the monkeys sling shit at each other. I am easily entertained. Only silent gen and gen x in my immediate family.
View Quote

Yeah it's almost as good as the shit throwing that commences when anyone dares not to be hanging off Trump's nuts and failing to proclaim him as the greatest president in all of history despite his role in causing the problems people bitch about on here and get shit on by the boomers for.

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:31:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By cranberry1:
Lets be honest here the only reason we vote for Republicans is because of the second amendment .

Things have only gotten harder for people not easier in the last 40 years .

View Quote

Well that and democrats want to tax the hell out of us. Then give the money away to other countries and everything under the sun but what's actually Important to the success of the country. AND the democrats general fd up view of the world.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:32:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By FaunaBeware:
Millennials as a whole are a whiny trash generation.

Ever notice how NOTHING fucking works anymore?  Who runs middle management now? Millennials.

Worthless.

The only ones more worthless...their shitty parents.

Waaaaah!

View Quote

bruh

Ask a boomer for feet pics and you'll get some heavy filtered backlit shots where each toe has cat ears.  Ask a boomer and you'll get some fwd:fwd:fwd email about Angela Merkel stealing Social Security.

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:33:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Paul_Sothern:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Paul_Sothern:
Originally Posted By primo:

I didn't. It was fucked 25 years ago when I was college aged.

Back then it was Gen X who was raising the concern about costs getting out of hand. I don't seem to remember billy badass boomer bootstrappers calling them lazy pieces of shit at the time though.

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:34:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Cascade-Dude:

That electronic device you were talking about earlier, that boomers supposedly can't navigate? It has a whole lot of machine code in it. Anything that has a processor in it, has machine code in it. It wouldn't function without it.

There's more machine code in the world now than there has been at any time in human history.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:36:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By midcap:
boomers also didn't need any skills for those min wage jobs......throw a boomer at a min wage job now and they would be lost and couldn't keep up. Computers and shit.

I would also like to point out to ya'll knuckle heads that it's Republicans, especially the Regan, Bush types that sold everyone out in the name of cheap shit and cheap labor.
View Quote

Ross Perot was the greatest president we never had.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:41:06 PM EDT
[#17]

I would like to know more.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NYresq1:

You wanna study aboriginal lesbian dance theory? Cool, get the money from someone else, no loan should be approved for that.
Your tuition, housing and meal plan was $22k a year for a 4 year school? How the hell do you have $140K in student loans???

I would like to know more.

Its a very narrow field of study, but probably available at any large university in the NE US, and def any school on the left coast...

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:41:09 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:41:43 PM EDT
[#19]
boomers also didn't need any skills for those min wage jobs......throw a boomer at a min wage job now and they would be lost and couldn't keep up. Computers and shit.

I would also like to point out to ya'll knuckle heads that it's Republicans, especially the Regan, Bush types that sold everyone out in the name of cheap shit and cheap labor.
View Quote

It is evident you know nothing about “boomers” or politics.  We lived through the Carter years with high inflation and long gas lines. Unemployment was high so a lot of workers could stay home because they did not have a job. Thank goodness Biden has been installed as president so you enjoy some of that wonderful democratic economy. Maybe we will be lucky and he will be a one term president.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:43:04 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm early Gen X with Silent Generation parents who raised me and my younger brother.  Bought their first home in '68.  Bought property and built their second (my Dad still lives there) with a lot of sweat equity.  We moved in in 1973 before it was completed.  They were both state employees and not making big salaries by any stretch.  They scrimped, saved, and made do.

Two things are important in this discussion.  First, a starter home in the 50s-60s was nothing like what people expect today.  Our first house was 1264 sq ft with a single car garage.  Three small bedrooms, two small bathrooms, a small kitchen, a small living room.  Electric heat and one window mounted AC in the dining nook.  Single pane windows.
No laundry room, just a basic washer in the garage.  We dried our clothes on the clothesline in the back yard.  One phone plug and one black and white TV.  Basic laminate kitchen counters and simple tile in bathrooms.  My dad mowed his lawn, pruned his shrubbery, and did basic maintenance himself (with assists from FIL).  Not luxury.  That home cost $14,500 in 1968 and sold for $147k in 2021 with minimal upgrades.  Still affordable.

Here's reality:

Second, college cost increases are dominated by administrative growth plus luxury accommodations.  When I attended a state university our dorms were spartan.  Most were built in the 50s and 60s.  My room which was for two had a sink/faucet, simple closets, two small desks with shelves, two aluminum chairs, and two beds with steel frames and thin twin mattresses.  Many of us built custom wooden frames to elevate our beds to make room by putting desks underneath.  We had steam radiators for heat and no AC (in SC).  Bathrooms were shared between about 50 guys with 5-6 urinals, 5-6 crappers, and one common shower room with 6 shower heads and 5 soap dishes.

Reality:

No current generation college kid could handle what we had for room, board, and support personnel.  The focus was on teaching.  If you couldn't cut it, you were out.  No coddling.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:47:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bat15] [#21]
Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:

They did it to themselves. Also for the Boomers they worked through college. They didn't depend on student loans to buy lattes.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:
Originally Posted By sirensong:
i probably don't have to say it on this forum, but this is a direct result of democrat policies that claimed to be helping the poor.

Ds: "let's drastically expand the scope of federal student loan guarantees, remove the limits on how much you can borrow, and wildly liberalize creditworthiness criteria."

Rs: "that will have an inflationary effect."

Ds: "you racists."

They did it to themselves. Also for the Boomers they worked through college. They didn't depend on student loans to buy lattes.

Many of us Boomers worked our way through college. Our student loan was a summer job and working after school. I paid for my books and tuition at a Catholic University by working. I went to a local school and lived with my parents so room and board was free. That was normal for my generation.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:49:00 PM EDT
[#22]

So true dude. All the boomers I know are retired as either blue collared or as some kind of administrator that got lucky and retired at or near a 100k/year income. Watching either of them trying to navigate personal electronic devices makes me want to ask their companies for refunds
View All Quotes

So true dude. All the boomers I know are retired as either blue collared or as some kind of administrator that got lucky and retired at or near a 100k/year income. Watching either of them trying to navigate personal electronic devices makes me want to ask their companies for refunds

You don’t know a lot of boomers. Who do you think invented the computer systems?
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:52:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:53:22 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

You think you need an advanced degree and 5 years experience in quantum physics to get a job flipping burgers???

The local McDonalds' here on Long Island are all short staffed, most are starting at $18/hr with increases to $20 after 2 months... Minimum wage just went up to $16 in the city and on the island. They are hiring anyone who applies because its just barely more than welfare or unemployment pays them to stay home... Anyone who stays for more than 6 months and can speak english seems to become an assistant manager and a year or two becomes a manager.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:53:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: perfectsilence] [#25]
Originally Posted By killstick_engaged:
The American dream was nothing but a post-war boom.

Once you realize that everything that follows after is much easier to understand.
View Quote

One of my best buddies came up here from Mexico, legally, with his parents when he was probably 7-8. He grew up in a poor fishing village and recalls multiple instances in which his entire home flooded with feet of water.

His parents bought a house in a poor farming community in semi-rural CA. The house is literally 600 square feet, and his room was “built” by putting up a plywood false wall.

He went to community college, transferred to a CSU, and got a degree in engineering. He bought his home (I should say, had it built) a few years ago and has made a ridiculous sum on it by now, and has a 2.5% mortgage, saves like a madman, and works his ass off. He makes like $110k plus bonuses. He’s under 30.

He has told me before that he believes the American dream isn’t dead, because he has lived it.

Cope.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:53:57 PM EDT
[#26]

It's okay bro, you'll learn all these facts at the Poor Loser Renter Lazy Goddamn GenX/Millenenneials/Zoomer Tent City Forced Labor and Knitting camps, a service of Blackrock investments.  

View Quote

true dat

true dat

true dat shit

well that and i've been wanting to learn how to knit for a while so i can make myself a Jayne Cobb hat.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:54:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By rtlm:

You might have scared her, but rest assured she wore the bean out that night thinking of a man who could repair her shifty thing.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:56:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Kashtin:

I'm 67. Still working. I design and manufacture custom industrial automation and robotics equipment. I can work my phone, my computer, use most CAD programs, run a Bridgeport mill and a Clausing lathe, wire control panels, and program most off the shelf robots and the programmable controllers I use in my own custom panels.

Grab them bootstraps and try to keep up with me, junior.
View Quote
what's the going rate to machine some brass knuckles out of 5/8" stainless steel plate?

asking for a friend.

stainless steel is inexpensive, readily available, heavy, durable, and easy to disinfect using common household cleaners.

allegedly in minecraft of course.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:58:34 PM EDT
[#29]

We lived out there because back then that's where the poor trailer trash lived. Houses in town were where the rich people lived who could afford a house that wasn't on wheels and could afford to pay for town services and taxes.

It wasn't until our resident 87% badass brigade tamed the wilderness that it became fashionable to live in the sprawling, rural palaces that our betters who endlessly need to put us poors in our place constantly post about on here.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:58:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
what's the going rate to machine some brass knuckles out of 5/8" stainless steel plate?

asking for a friend.

stainless steel is inexpensive, readily available, heavy, durable, and easy to disinfect using common household cleaners.

View All Quotes

I'm 67. Still working. I design and manufacture custom industrial automation and robotics equipment. I can work my phone, my computer, use most CAD programs, run a Bridgeport mill and a Clausing lathe, wire control panels, and program most off the shelf robots and the programmable controllers I use in my own custom panels.

asking for a friend.

I would like to know where you are sourcing 5/8” stainless plate for an “inexpensive” price lol
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:59:12 PM EDT
[#31]

Yeah, it's interesting. I talk about things with my Boomer parents, Aunts, Uncles and co-workers and they all agree that things are way harder for me, my cousins and their own kids. I come on here and learn that, no it actually isn't harder, I just am a shitty person with no work ethic who spends all my money on shit I don't actually have or do.

I remember way back in the mid 90's when I first got on the internet running into a completely hateful asshole was a rare thing. Now it just seems like 99% of the data transmissions are used to shit on other people and tell them how worthless they are to make yourself feel better about being a hate filled shitbag.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:
Man I love these threads, the generational insults, absolutism, and constant screeching of “bootstraps”.

Yeah, it's interesting. I talk about things with my Boomer parents, Aunts, Uncles and co-workers and they all agree that things are way harder for me, my cousins and their own kids. I come on here and learn that, no it actually isn't harder, I just am a shitty person with no work ethic who spends all my money on shit I don't actually have or do.

I remember way back in the mid 90's when I first got on the internet running into a completely hateful asshole was a rare thing. Now it just seems like 99% of the data transmissions are used to shit on other people and tell them how worthless they are to make yourself feel better about being a hate filled shitbag.

I agree. I think as more millennials get on line, it just gets worse. Heck, look at this thread, the OP and first response are perfect examples of your last thought.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:03:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Bitmap:
Between the proliferation of basket-weaving "degrees" like "Black Lesbian Moslem Feminist Studies" and the DIE (Discrimination, Inequality, and Exclusion) policies being used to lower standards so anyone, regardless of motivation or ability, can get a "degree" like a participation trophy, college degrees don't mean as much as they used to, even from decent schools.  

The basket weaving degrees as a whole don't lead to decent career paths.  If you split those out and looked only at stuff like engineering and medical I think the results would be different, although DIE has probably lowered the average earning power of all degrees.

Add in H1B visas and college degrees take another hit.

Still, I think if you get an engineering degree or a medical degree you will do pretty well.  
View Quote

The thing that killed liberal arts degrees were boomers flocking to college and pushing their kids to go to college.
1940s era college requirements could not stand in the face the democratization of higher education demanding degrees for people of slightly / barely above average, average, and below average students.  However, useless people want careers.  And campuses have exploded with careers for useless people.  And people with non wealth generating aspirations to be wealthy…. Well, education became a highly profitable part of the service economy.

In 1940, if you were heading of to state U, - for a classic liberal arts education- (not ag, teaching, religious, etc.)-
You were going to be burning the midnight on tough courses, high expectations, and demanding requirements.

If you getting a B.S. in Physics, a B.A. in English, History, Econ, Classic, or Biology, or a B.S. in Biology, Chemistry, Anthropology-  and in some engineering, business, etc. programs.
Your first two years would have been very similar.

It would likely have been-
Calc 1
Bio 101 with lab
Gen Chem 101 with lab
English/lit 101
History/religion/philosophy, etc. 101

Then
Calc 2
Bio 102 with lab
Gen Chem 102 with lab
Another humanities or social science
A major specific course

That freshman year is nothing like most degrees are now.
The sophmore year would likely be-
Physics with Calc 101
Classics
A couple of pan major / specific major courses

Then
Physics with Calc 102
Then some pan major/major specific courses.

In your last two years you would focus on your major, meet some phys Ed/civic requirements,
Plus two years of a language.  A language you would be able to speak conversationally AND read foreign publications about your major in.  Plus have a couple of grad courses in their Major done- because you shouldn’t have an undergrad degree  in something without demonstrating you can do some graduate work in it.

There was no completing college with no math beyond HS freshman algebra or some joke science for fuktards course meeting a science requirement.

A Geology major could likely have an intelligent conversation about Greek vs Etruscan vs Roman art.
A guy with a B.S. in physics might be very versed in history, art of the renaissance, or western lit.

The psychology or anthropology major or English major had the basic foundation of bio, chem, math, and physics under their belt.

When your hired a guy with a B.A. in Econ, a B.S. in Math, a B.A. in History, or a B.S. in Bio-
You knew they were bright, could work hard, meet unrealistic deadlines, think, etc.

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:08:17 PM EDT
[#33]

lol, I didn't even START making minimum wage until high school. Kind of hard to go get a W2 job with no fucking car or drivers license. Was I supposed to walk 17 miles one way to town everyday to flip burgers at 14?

Wait... I bet the GigaChad's™ did it uphill both ways in the snow barefoot.

View Quote

I worked on a lawn crew when I was 12, saved money and bought and fixed a broken mower. I mowed lawns and scooped snow. I got a paper-route when I was 14 then got a restaurant job at 16. They only let me work 30-32 hours a week, I guess anymore and they had to give benefits.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:08:32 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

I have a few more years to go to retirement but its amazing at the number of young know it all people ( including engineers, management and operators ) that think they know more than everyone in the room but cant make automation work let alone get them going again after they crash it. Good luck explaining what a laser tracker does or using it to dial in tooling.

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:08:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By NYresq1:Anyone who stays for more than 6 months and can speak english seems to become an assistant manager and a year or two becomes a manager.
View Quote

That part has always been true in fast food. My wife went from fry-queen to store manager in about 14 months ... in 1974.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:09:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Oh fuck, here we go again...

Quit your whining and bitching!
Find another forum to pollute with your "poor me" bullshit.

FUCK OFF!!

And I'm not even a baby boomer. Just someone sick of your crybaby shit...
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:11:13 PM EDT
[#37]
It was the government guaranteeing the loans that drove up the costs.
I'm surprised the universities didn't jack up the prices sooner.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:12:41 PM EDT
[#38]

asking for a friend.

View Quote

Outside of minecraft, $300 a square foot isn't inexpensive to most people.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:13:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KILLERB6] [#39]
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:14:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By dirtyboy:
View Quote

Yep. Just like the ACA fixed healthcare
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:30:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:36:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By GrayMan66:
I'm early Gen X with Silent Generation parents who raised me and my younger brother.  Bought their first home in '68.  Bought property and built their second (my Dad still lives there) with a lot of sweat equity.  We moved in in 1973 before it was completed.  They were both state employees and not making big salaries by any stretch.  They scrimped, saved, and made do.

Two things are important in this discussion.  First, a starter home in the 50s-60s was nothing like what people expect today.  Our first house was 1264 sq ft with a single car garage.  Three small bedrooms, two small bathrooms, a small kitchen, a small living room.  Electric heat and one window mounted AC in the dining nook.  Single pane windows.
No laundry room, just a basic washer in the garage.  We dried our clothes on the clothesline in the back yard.  One phone plug and one black and white TV.  Basic laminate kitchen counters and simple tile in bathrooms.  My dad mowed his lawn, pruned his shrubbery, and did basic maintenance himself (with assists from FIL).  Not luxury.  That home cost $14,500 in 1968 and sold for $147k in 2021 with minimal upgrades.  Still affordable.

Here's reality:
https://www.aei.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/housing1.png

Second, college cost increases are dominated by administrative growth plus luxury accommodations.  When I attended a state university our dorms were spartan.  Most were built in the 50s and 60s.  My room which was for two had a sink/faucet, simple closets, two small desks with shelves, two aluminum chairs, and two beds with steel frames and thin twin mattresses.  Many of us built custom wooden frames to elevate our beds to make room by putting desks underneath.  We had steam radiators for heat and no AC (in SC).  Bathrooms were shared between about 50 guys with 5-6 urinals, 5-6 crappers, and one common shower room with 6 shower heads and 5 soap dishes.

Reality:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FSKMpMGWYAA4wBw.png:large

No current generation college kid could handle what we had for room, board, and support personnel.  The focus was on teaching.  If you couldn't cut it, you were out.  No coddling.
View Quote

Your parents first house is larger than my current house. I bet it didn't have wheels like my current house does either.

Congrats, your attempt to humble us all actually comes off as bragging.

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:39:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By ramairthree:

The thing that killed liberal arts degrees were boomers flocking to college and pushing their kids to go to college.
1940s era college requirements could not stand in the face the democratization of higher education demanding degrees for people of slightly / barely above average, average, and below average students.  However, useless people want careers.  And campuses have exploded with careers for useless people.  And people with non wealth generating aspirations to be wealthy…. Well, education became a highly profitable part of the service economy.

In 1940, if you were heading of to state U, - for a classic liberal arts education- (not ag, teaching, religious, etc.)-
You were going to be burning the midnight on tough courses, high expectations, and demanding requirements.

If you getting a B.S. in Physics, a B.A. in English, History, Econ, Classic, or Biology, or a B.S. in Biology, Chemistry, Anthropology-  and in some engineering, business, etc. programs.

Calc 1
Bio 101 with lab
Gen Chem 101 with lab
English/lit 101

Then
Calc 2
Bio 102 with lab
Gen Chem 102 with lab
A major specific course

Physics with Calc 101
Classics

Then
Physics with Calc 102

In your last two years you would focus on your major, meet some phys Ed/civic requirements,
Plus two years of a language.  A language you would be able to speak conversationally AND read foreign publications about your major in.  Plus have a couple of grad courses in their Major done- because you shouldn’t have an undergrad degree  in something without demonstrating you can do some graduate work in it.

There was no completing college with no math beyond HS freshman algebra or some joke science for fuktards course meeting a science requirement.

A Geology major could likely have an intelligent conversation about Greek vs Etruscan vs Roman art.
A guy with a B.S. in physics might be very versed in history, art of the renaissance, or western lit.

The psychology or anthropology major or English major had the basic foundation of bio, chem, math, and physics under their belt.

When your hired a guy with a B.A. in Econ, a B.S. in Math, a B.A. in History, or a B.S. in Bio-
You knew they were bright, could work hard, meet unrealistic deadlines, think, etc.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ramairthree:
Originally Posted By Bitmap:
Between the proliferation of basket-weaving "degrees" like "Black Lesbian Moslem Feminist Studies" and the DIE (Discrimination, Inequality, and Exclusion) policies being used to lower standards so anyone, regardless of motivation or ability, can get a "degree" like a participation trophy, college degrees don't mean as much as they used to, even from decent schools.  

The basket weaving degrees as a whole don't lead to decent career paths.  If you split those out and looked only at stuff like engineering and medical I think the results would be different, although DIE has probably lowered the average earning power of all degrees.

Add in H1B visas and college degrees take another hit.

Still, I think if you get an engineering degree or a medical degree you will do pretty well.  

Calc 1
Bio 101 with lab
Gen Chem 101 with lab
English/lit 101

Then
Calc 2
Bio 102 with lab
Gen Chem 102 with lab
A major specific course

Physics with Calc 101
Classics

Then
Physics with Calc 102

Well now they can tell the HR department that chicks have dicks, males have vaginas, there are 134 different sexes, they are disabled because they weigh 400 lbs and eat 6 pizzas a day and 3 2 liter soda's, and mommy will call the company if they aren't hired.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:41:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By GrayMan66:

Here's reality:
https://www.aei.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/housing1.png

Reality:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FSKMpMGWYAA4wBw.png:large

View Quote

Luxury accommodations became a requirement for accreditation.  When I first learned of this about 10 years ago I was shocked.  First hint of it i saw personally of the luxury push was my last year in the early 90s when the admin decided the school needed a new performing arts center and fancy gym.  We already had facilities that were adequate and the kicker was that we would get to use it but future students would get to pay for it.  That alone was reason enough to vote against it.  Of course the vote was probably 90/10 in favor.

College mafia saw the money enabled by the easy loans and they went after it.  I figure probably 50-60% of college students have no business going to a 4 year school.  Some of them are bright enough, but 2 years of training would suffice to land them a good paying in their field of interest.

Truth is, any outsized generation/faction is going to vote itself resources at the expense of other groups.  Add in global economic dominance after WW2 and you have the salad days for those that got to live through it.  Its a good argument for limiting your population growth just like you try and control inflation IMO.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:42:36 PM EDT
[#45]

Your parents first house is larger than my current house. I bet it didn't have wheels like my current house does either.

Congrats, your attempt to humble us all actually comes off as bragging.

View Quote
ain't no shame in being poor.

Whiskey Myers - Trailer We Call Home (Acoustic)

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:48:08 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

Give a millennial or  Zer a screwdriver stand back and watch the show. Don't even give them a couple pipe wrenches, or a multimeter..... I teach hvac and these two generation don't learn mechanical very well.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:49:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By cranberry1:
Lets be honest here the only reason we vote for Republicans is because of the second amendment .

Things have only gotten harder for people not easier in the last 40 years .

View Quote

Well that and Republicans are anti pedophilia
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:49:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By apexcrusade:

All boomers?  You are making an absolute statement?  Absolute statements rarely hold up under the slightest of scrutiny.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By apexcrusade:
Don’t use math on the boomers, they will tell you 2+2 does not equal 4 just so that they don’t have to admit that there’s even a chance that things were easier for them.

All boomers?  You are making an absolute statement?  Absolute statements rarely hold up under the slightest of scrutiny.

were you born in the 60s?
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:51:28 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

Yup. That two to three bucks an hour we made blows your $20.00/hr plus to pieces.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:52:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By runcible:
It's actually kind of sad, how much the world sucks for Millennials.
And their children? Fuck, I don't even want to contemplate the Orwellian hellscape their America will be.
Sucks to be born in a dying empire.
View Quote

We will make the best of it...always had.

a pretty good number of soldiers during the GWOT were millenials
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top