Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/25/2024 11:42:54 PM EDT
Gun legislation continues to advance at the Colorado Capitol before lawmakers wrap up for the year. A bill requiring gun owners to insure their guns cleared another hurdle Wednesday.

The bill took a big step by advancing to the Senate floor. Groups opposing the measure say if it becomes law, it will likely face legal challenges.

“Colorado has been a leader in a number of policy areas. I think gun safety is one of them,” said state Sen. Chris Hansen.

Hansen is hoping Colorado continues to lead on gun policy by passing a new bill he is sponsoring requiring gun owners to get insurance coverage for their firearms.

“This has been a long conversation nationally about how we can do a better job of handling liability and some of the costs that come with firearm accidents or misuse. So, we’ve really taken a closer look at what we do with car insurance and home insurance and we think that this is a really great way to help folks cover that liability, but do it in a way that doesn’t become to onerous for gun owners,” Hansen said about the measure.

Under the proposal, the insurance policy would cover losses and damages suffered by any person other than the policyholder. Failure to maintain a firearm policy would result in a civil infraction with a minimum fine of $500 for the first offense. Sponsors said they do not believe the cost of insuring a firearm will deter or disenfranchise gun owners.

“In most cases, it’s already covered by your homeowners insurance, we’ve just got to make sure that it is covered in people’s policies. If you’ve got a safe storage device, a gun safe, et cetera — that’s lowering your liability, likely takes your insurance change to near zero. We also have pieces in the bill that allow folks to opt out if there is a problem with affordability,” Hansen explained.
‘The technology is literally changing on a weekly basis’: AI industry pushes back on Colorado bill

People who can prove they cannot afford to add this coverage to their policy or have been denied coverage by insurers can petition a court to be exempt from the requirement if it becomes law.

https://kdvr.com/news/politics/colorado-politics-news/bill-requiring-liability-insurance-for-gun-owners-advances-to-full-senate/

Starting January 1, 2025, HB24-1270 would require gun owners to have liability insurance that covers losses or damages to a person who is injured from the accidental or unintentional discharge of a firearm. Failure to have a firearm liability insurance policy is a civil infraction.

https://www.cohousedems.com/news/house-passes-bill-to-promote-responsible-gun-ownership-with-firearm-insurance-coverage

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:45:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Got to love the government.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:47:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By SnoGoRider:
Gun legislation continues to advance at the Colorado Capitol before lawmakers wrap up for the year. A bill requiring gun owners to insure their guns cleared another hurdle Wednesday.

The bill took a big step by advancing to the Senate floor. Groups opposing the measure say if it becomes law, it will likely face legal challenges.

“Colorado has been a leader in a number of policy areas. I think gun safety is one of them,” said state Sen. Chris Hansen.

Hansen is hoping Colorado continues to lead on gun policy by passing a new bill he is sponsoring requiring gun owners to get insurance coverage for their firearms.

“This has been a long conversation nationally about how we can do a better job of handling liability and some of the costs that come with firearm accidents or misuse. So, we’ve really taken a closer look at what we do with car insurance and home insurance and we think that this is a really great way to help folks cover that liability, but do it in a way that doesn’t become to onerous for gun owners,” Hansen said about the measure.

Under the proposal, the insurance policy would cover losses and damages suffered by any person other than the policyholder. Failure to maintain a firearm policy would result in a civil infraction with a minimum fine of $500 for the first offense. Sponsors said they do not believe the cost of insuring a firearm will deter or disenfranchise gun owners.

“In most cases, it’s already covered by your homeowners insurance, we’ve just got to make sure that it is covered in people’s policies. If you’ve got a safe storage device, a gun safe, et cetera — that’s lowering your liability, likely takes your insurance change to near zero. We also have pieces in the bill that allow folks to opt out if there is a problem with affordability,” Hansen explained.
‘The technology is literally changing on a weekly basis’: AI industry pushes back on Colorado bill

People who can prove they cannot afford to add this coverage to their policy or have been denied coverage by insurers can petition a court to be exempt from the requirement if it becomes law.

https://kdvr.com/news/politics/colorado-politics-news/bill-requiring-liability-insurance-for-gun-owners-advances-to-full-senate/

Starting January 1, 2025, HB24-1270 would require gun owners to have liability insurance that covers losses or damages to a person who is injured from the accidental or unintentional discharge of a firearm. Failure to have a firearm liability insurance policy is a civil infraction.

https://www.cohousedems.com/news/house-passes-bill-to-promote-responsible-gun-ownership-with-firearm-insurance-coverage

View Quote

Ok, TX needs to do the same but for voting.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:59:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Sponsors said they do not believe the cost of insuring a firearm will deter or disenfranchise gun owners.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:02:29 AM EDT
[#4]
They must have got the same idea from our bill in 2023.

Under SB 8, gun insurance in California would be similar to car insurance. Gun owners would:

Be held civilly liable for property damage, injury, or death resulting from the use of their firearms
   Have to obtain liability insurance that covers losses or damages resulting from negligent or accidental use of their firearm, including property, damage, injury or death
   Have to obtain proof of gun insurance, keep that proof with their firearm, and produce it when asked by a peace officer during the course of a lawful detainment.

https://trackbill.com/bill/california-senate-bill-8-firearms-liability-insurance/2282348/
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:05:05 AM EDT
[#5]
How about insurance for free speech while we're at it?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:06:42 AM EDT
[#6]
It's all so tiresome.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:24:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Legislators should be required to maintain liability insurance to cover the unconstitutional bills they put forward.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:25:00 AM EDT
[#8]
MOVE TO A FREE STATE!

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:31:22 AM EDT
[#9]
I hate this libtard infested state more and more every day...

Cannot wait to get out of here.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:40:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Yet another illegal and unconstitutional law that I'll freely ignore.

My guess is the idiots in Denver get their asses sued in a heart beat over this one.  No way it passes the Bruen test.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:47:10 AM EDT
[#11]
For fucks sake.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:49:31 AM EDT
[#12]
How are they gonna know you have guns.

Sold them all,sorry
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:52:48 AM EDT
[#13]
It’s not infringing if it’s just the tip.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:19:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Another case of...oh you can keep your second amendment but its going to cost you your livelihood.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:30:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rob99rt:

View Quote

Think you’re good for nothing GOP for doing what it always does lose on purpose give away all power and then wonder why they’re unable to get elected.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:36:51 AM EDT
[#16]
It seems you can get around a lot of these newly proposed dip shit laws with a trust.  

It's not my gun, it's the property of trust X. Sorry trust X doesn't own $500 to pay the fine.

Colorado is looking to be the state record holder for losing 0-9 SCOTUS decisions. They already got one this year.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:38:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Lol , insurance for a constitutional right. Get fucked .
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:42:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Missilegeek] [#18]
Originally Posted By DDDDCheapAF:
View Quote

Tons of people here driving without any plates or registration on their vehicles. Lots more without car insurance. They're going to get people to self report and buy firearm insurance. Lol.

But watch the range owners will be their cuck and require proof to shoot at a club or range.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:35:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Rudukai13:

https://i.imgflip.com/7swecy.gif
View Quote

Originally Posted By The_Fly:
Yet another illegal and unconstitutional law that I'll freely ignore.

My guess is the idiots in Denver get their asses sued in a heart beat over this one.  No way it passes the Bruen test.
View Quote

View Quote

Might as well pass a law mandating criminals carry
"criminal insurance" to cover themselves when they
suffer repercussions from committing crimes  

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:17:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By rob99rt:

View Quote

I was just thinking 20 years ago CO was a freedom minded state with pockets of crazy.

I can’t imagine not being welcome in your own home
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:29:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Good!  The world would be a better place if only rich people had guns.😉
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:33:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Just throwing as much shit against the wall as they can to see what sticks.  They know the Supreme Court is a joke and will just ignore any ruling on this that might happen 10 years from now.  Lawyers in dirty black robes aren’t coming to save us.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:36:14 AM EDT
[#23]
I wonder how it will affect non-resident hunting.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:53:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WeimaranerDad] [#24]
Originally Posted By Engineer5:
I wonder how it will affect non-resident hunting.
View Quote

When I was in Colorado last October for something totally not related to hunting, I stopped in a Cabela’s/Bass Pro and asked about elk hunting.

IIRC, they said a non-resident elk tag was $700 or $800.

Cha ching!

At least I did get a map of where I went through SERE (Farish Memorial Park, bounded by Rampart Range Road).

They were proud of their maps too.  

EDIT:  I am sure there will be some carve out for out of state hunters.  Besides, some of that should be covered by the Federal level “Safe Passage Act” or “Peaceable Journey Act” as part of the 1986 Firearm Owner’s Protection Act:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A?_vwo_uuid=DDC3FC471A3EE657989603F6D7EEB4521&tID=65f4975466366

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:58:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9divdoc] [#25]
then they want to inspect your home to make sure you have the appropriate storage like Canadians?
more rules & regs to disallow your claims or throw you in jail? certainly more to take your guns

meanwhile the illegal aliens from terror nations and narco countries run wild

cant have you defending yourselves or your property now can we
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:00:37 AM EDT
[#26]
There was a similar bill proposed in MD.  This crap must be coming from the newly formed Office of Gun Violence Prevention at the Fed level.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:17:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By T1NMAN:
Another case of...oh you can keep your second amendment but its going to cost you your livelihood.

View Quote
The commies know they can't ban gun ownership entirely, at least for now, which is what they really want. But, they can pass so many laws, restrictions, and requirements that most people won't be able to afford to own a gun. It's not the total ban they want, but it's the next best thing.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:33:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: snubfan] [#28]
Could a state's Dept. of Insurance eventually be weaponized against gun owners as a means to achieve a form of gun control? States REGULATE insurance policies sold in their states. They 'approve' the policy forms/language.

- Will states mandate high policy limits as a state minimum required coverage, thus the cost of the policy (premiums) may be cost-prohibitive to some?

- Will insurance companies charge higher premiums for policyholders who have a CC license and carry their firearm outside of their home property?

- Will the insurance company charge higher premiums to those who have not completed a certain number of hours of training by an 'approved' training facility?  

- Will states or the insurance company mandate policy language requiring use of firearm locks (or gun safe), holster use that meets certain retention levels? Will all firearms owned need to be listed/described in the policy, including number of magazines/clips, add-on accessories, modifications, etc. (one might argue is an end-around to a form of gun registration)?

- Will policy exclusions or underwriting practices limit 'covered' magazine capacity? Covered calibers? Covered weapons? Will 'modified' firearms be excluded?

- Will premiums be higher for high capacity magazines, certain calibers, semi-auto vs. single-shot, etc?  

- Some states mandate vehicle inspections for cars to be legally driven on their highways. Will states eventually try to add a law requiring firearms to be inspected by a state approved gunsmith to ensure firearms are in proper working condition and legal?

Yes, the above is absurd and would never happen in Colorado.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:02:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Where's the liability insurance for being a crappy politician?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:03:11 AM EDT
[#30]
I don't think any state has successfully passed one of these bills.... seems once they figure out that you can't have a liability policy to cover willful criminal acts, it goes away.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:08:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By realwar:
They must have got the same idea from our bill in 2023.

Under SB 8, gun insurance in California would be similar to car insurance. Gun owners would:

Be held civilly liable for property damage, injury, or death resulting from the use of their firearms
   Have to obtain liability insurance that covers losses or damages resulting from negligent or accidental use of their firearm, including property, damage, injury or death
   Have to obtain proof of gun insurance, keep that proof with their firearm, and produce it when asked by a peace officer during the course of a lawful detainment.

https://trackbill.com/bill/california-senate-bill-8-firearms-liability-insurance/2282348/
View Quote
If I misuse my gun and cause property damage Im already liable for it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:14:30 AM EDT
[#32]
How much would it cost to get a sympathetic congressman to slip a “All congressmen proposing/supporting gun control bills much either suck on rb889’s balls or resign” clause into one of these 12,000 page omnibus bills? Could call it the eric cartman act.

Why the fuck don’t any of these assholes slip shit like that into shitty bills? At least that would be funny.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:16:07 AM EDT
[#33]
and NO CRIMINAL WILL EVER BUY THIS INSURANCE.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:22:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Alaskanforfreedom:
If I misuse my gun and cause property damage Im already liable for it.
View Quote

Yeahbut, the personal injury attorneys who run Colorado need those increased limits of liability on those policies, in addition to the homeowners policies, cause Jet A and vacation condos aren’t getting any cheaper, and Jr ambulance chaser wants to go to Yale.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:28:49 AM EDT
[#35]
I assume the underwriters are going to look at education levels, income, prior criminal records, driving records, geographic location, etc. when setting the premiums?

Not a chance. Who am I kidding.  This is a shakedown to those who won’t bend the knee. It’s a tax, only the money will go to private insurers who will turn around and fund Democrat campaigns.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:35:53 AM EDT
[#36]
No one will provide insurance against liability for criminal acts.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:37:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Jmo371:
I don't think any state has successfully passed one of these bills.... seems once they figure out that you can't have a liability policy to cover willful criminal acts, it goes away.
View Quote

Colorado has gone full retard....I give this a better than 50% chance of passing now.  Before, these kinds of things died in the house and the dems that voted for it got recalled.  Now....passed the house, has a senate sponsor and the libs saying they want to "lead" the country in gun laws.

Its coming to state near you soon......
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:41:29 AM EDT
[#38]
While this BS most likely won't pass, it's troubling that there are idiots thinking this is a good enough idea to even introduce it.  Colorado needs to seriously do some unfucking NOW.  If it isn't way too late already (I suspect it is).
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:43:31 AM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

Stopping criminal acts is not the point of these sorts of laws.  Neither is obtaining compensation from a third party.

They're meant to be a PITA to the law-abiding, and to discourage firearms ownership by same.  If violent crime is the problem, incapacitating both the provable repeat violent offender and the violent insane works very well.  But that's racist or statist, and won't help achieve the desired state of chaos.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:43:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Are these people really stupid enough to think they will be obeyed?

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:44:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By 99superduty:

Colorado has gone full retard....I give this a better than 50% chance of passing now.  Before, these kinds of things died in the house and the dems that voted for it got recalled.  Now....passed the house, has a senate sponsor and the libs saying they want to "lead" the country in gun laws.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 99superduty:

Aren't you glad Colorado decriminalized weed?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:44:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Dagoth-Ur:

Ok, TX needs to do the same but for voting.
View Quote

yes
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:46:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Missilegeek:

Tons of people here driving without any plates or registration on their vehicles. Lots more without car insurance. They're going to get people to self report and buy firearm insurance. Lol.

But watch the range owners will be their cuck and require proof to shoot at a club or range.
View Quote
I see cars without plates every day here. Always in certain areas.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:51:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Missilegeek:

View Quote

Then don't patronize them.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:54:44 AM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:55:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Taft] [#46]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:55:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Wineraner:

Aren't you glad Colorado decriminalized weed?
View Quote

Nope...not glad at all and knew that was the beginning of the end for this state.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:56:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Obviously they don't give a rat's ass about the Constitution but that clearly un-Constitutional on the face of it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:57:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: scotchymcdrinkerbean] [#49]
We also have pieces in the bill that allow folks to opt out if there is a problem with affordability
View Quote

Oooh!  Oooh!   I can translate that!
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:59:26 AM EDT
[#50]
You have to insure a constitional right? Seems unconstitutional.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top