Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 28
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 8:47:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn that’s awesome. Wish there was something like that in Texas.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 9:21:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TN-MadDog:

I’m pretty happy with it so far but only have 150 mikes on it and still going easy on it during the break in period.

Rode up in the mountains on forest roads yesterday and it did fine. I’m a little impatient to get some more miles on it before really seeing what it will do.

My impression so far is that there will probably be times when I will wish it had more power but I doubt there will ever be a situation where it doesn’t have enough power to do what I want to do.

It’s so much lighter and maneuverable than the KTM 790 that I had. Much more capable for the type of riding that I like.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/35314/7A45DBE2-1E14-4F9E-A61A-0A3B19300EBE_jpe-2239586.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/35314/3997C705-77CC-4339-8EEE-26A174DA79CB_jpe-2239587.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/35314/B9C9CD64-9874-47C5-AC21-995FD2C71EEC_jpe-2239588.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/35314/FCBA7E9B-466E-444E-BB52-2CAA75826C7F_jpe-2239589.JPG
View Quote

I'd have bought one if it had a fuel gauge.  Ended up staying with Honda, CRF300l.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 11:32:43 AM EDT
[#3]

2022 Sherco 300 SE factory.  First idle.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 6:58:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Snow day there was too much everywhere for it to be enjoyable.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 8:59:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Dirt bikes are a workout, that's for sure

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/26/2022 8:17:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 11:10:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: J-Pat] [#7]
Nice XCW

I took mine out this past weekend. Shined her up after a ride. If you'd have looked Saturday night what color it was, you'd have thought "brown"

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/27/2022 12:01:36 AM EDT
[#8]

I snuck in an hour loop after work today.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 8:39:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By bondryan:
https://i.imgur.com/Rip7rsB.jpg

I snuck in an hour loop after work today.
View Quote

Didn't know the French made a motorcycle?
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 9:08:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Picked this up last Saturday. 2022 Gas Gas EX350F. Moving on from my '09 KTM 300 XC-W. Skid plate, hand guards, and rear disc protector will be here tomorrow, and a cooling fan will be here next week.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 4:34:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: camarojsmith] [#11]
Originally Posted By J-Pat:
Nice XCW

I took mine out this past weekend. Shined her up after a ride. If you'd have looked Saturday night what color it was, you'd have thought "brown"

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/247228/6BB565B7-6F49-4AC0-9ED0-6AB8463B7A3D_jpe-2363342.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Nice XCW

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/247228/6BB565B7-6F49-4AC0-9ED0-6AB8463B7A3D_jpe-2363342.JPG

Thanks. Having a good time getting back into it. Looking forward to summer.

This is my next winter project.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/28/2022 5:24:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By camarojsmith:

Thanks. Having a good time getting back into it. Looking forward to summer.

This is my next winter project.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/287525/4C0C7C1D-D77B-414C-AA09-395FAC866178_jpe-2365062.JPG
View Quote

76? 78? those late 70's YZ's get me every time.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 5:26:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I may sell the '99 200 and the '02 380 when KTM releases the '23 300.

Link Posted: 4/28/2022 9:40:41 PM EDT
[#14]

They are not redoing the tpi on the xc-ws until the 24 models. The injection update will only be on the xcs.

Buy a Sherco or a Beta. More bang for the buck and carbed so they won’t have all the bullshit injection issues.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 11:26:24 PM EDT
[#15]

76? 78? those late 70's YZ's get me every time.
View Quote

I was told ‘79 but he wasn’t sure. Got it for free but looking toward to getting into it. I parked it in the back corner of the shed for now though.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 11:04:15 PM EDT
[#16]

I was told '79 but he wasn't sure. Got it for free but looking toward to getting into it. I parked it in the back corner of the shed for now though.
View Quote

If you decide you're not up to it; and want to pass it on to someone else; give me a shout. I might be young but I LOVE vintage bikes!
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 7:09:22 AM EDT
[#17]

If you decide you're not up to it; and want to pass it on to someone else; give me a shout. I might be young but I LOVE vintage bikes!
View All Quotes

I was told '79 but he wasn't sure. Got it for free but looking toward to getting into it. I parked it in the back corner of the shed for now though.

Will do.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 8:38:39 AM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

I grew up on them and hated them.  Suspension sucked, keeping the timing right was a constant battle.  I jump on my Honda CRFL250 or 300 when it is -20 out and I know it will start.  Did it all February checking cows at night.  Carbs/chokes can't compare to EFI.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 3:50:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 4:10:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By dirtyboy:

I grew up on them and hated them.  Suspension sucked, keeping the timing right was a constant battle.  I jump on my Honda CRFL250 or 300 when it is -20 out and I know it will start.  Did it all February checking cows at night.  Carbs/chokes can't compare to EFI.
View Quote

You do know that the newest 2 Strokes aren't TPI because it's better.

It's because of enviro-weenies.

I can fix a carb. I can't fix EFI.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 10:26:48 PM EDT
[#21]

You do know that the newest 2 Strokes aren't TPI because it's better.

It's because of enviro-weenies.

I can fix a carb. I can't fix EFI.
View Quote

What is TPI?  Never had to fix an EFI.  Carbs are always a mystery, take apart, clean and pray that whatever was wrong got fixed.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 11:57:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: J-Pat] [#22]

What is TPI?  Never had to fix an EFI.  Carbs are always a mystery, take apart, clean and pray that whatever was wrong got fixed.
View Quote

TPI is like....sorta half assed EFI. It's almost like TBI from cars; where an injector sprays into the manifold. However, the oil is sprayed from the bottom up of the engine, creating an aerosol mix of oil on the bearing surfaces, where gas is sprayed top down in the transfer ports. It's a system stolen from Bombardier / Can-Am Snowmobiles. What it does is cause much, much less oil to be burned in a 2 stroke engine - an equivalent mix ratio might be 100-110:1  

This didn't come about because TPI is so much better than Carburation - it came about because 2 Strokes are struggling massively to meet Euro 5, and KTM makes too many motorcycles to meet regulation - ergo; they must figure a more "green" way to make the bikes. The downside is it's a much, much more complex system that has injectors, crankcase pressure sensors, airflow sensors, and the like that can and most importantly do go bad. It's literally possible to have a 15 hour bike blow up because your oil injector quit working and you had absolutely no way of knowing, trashing the bottom and top end of your $12,000 motorcycle. You can't just "mix" the gas like you could on the old Yamahas of yesteryear either - these bikes won't work on mixed gas.

TPI is a necessary evil. If we can get to true D-EFI in a 2-Stroke (extremely, extremely unlikely due to pressure and timing constraints); there's a possibility we could get back to the reliability of the old ways; however that would move to a closed bottom end system.

It's a fuckin' shame too. My 2018 KTM 300 XCW is probably my favorite machine I've ever put a leg over, and I used to be big into performance quads and such. I rarely describe machines as "magic" - but the last generation of carb'd and counterbalanced KTMs were frankly - fucking magic.

KTM's TPI! - and how it works

Link Posted: 5/3/2022 12:13:35 AM EDT
[#23]

TPI is like....sorta half assed EFI. It's almost like TBI from cars; where an injector sprays into the manifold. However, the oil is sprayed from the bottom up of the engine, creating an aerosol mix of oil on the bearing surfaces, where gas is sprayed top down in the transfer ports. It's a system stolen from Bombardier / Can-Am Snowmobiles. What it does is cause much, much less oil to be burned in a 2 stroke engine - an equivalent mix ratio might be 100-110:1  

This didn't come about because TPI is so much better than Carburation - it came about because 2 Strokes are struggling massively to meet Euro 5, and KTM makes too many motorcycles to meet regulation - ergo; they must figure a more "green" way to make the bikes. The downside is it's a much, much more complex system that has injectors, crankcase pressure sensors, airflow sensors, and the like that can and most importantly do go bad. It's literally possible to have a 15 hour bike blow up because your oil injector quit working and you had absolutely no way of knowing, trashing the bottom and top end of your $12,000 motorcycle. You can't just "mix" the gas like you could on the old Yamahas of yesteryear either - these bikes won't work on mixed gas.

TPI is a necessary evil. If we can get to true D-EFI in a 2-Stroke (extremely, extremely unlikely due to pressure and timing constraints); there's a possibility we could get back to the reliability of the old ways; however that would move to a closed bottom end system.

It's a fuckin' shame too. My 2018 KTM 300 XCW is probably my favorite machine I've ever put a leg over, and I used to be big into performance quads and such. I rarely describe machines as "magic" - but the last generation of carb'd and counterbalanced KTMs were frankly - fucking magic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1TVszsAXc8
View All Quotes

The Sherco is like my 18 te 300 was but better as far as suspension and ergos.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 12:39:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: J-Pat] [#24]

View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

and that's why I don't own a Sherco. Nothing wrong with them; and they seem like great bikes - but an expansive dealership and parts network for something that is likely to be crashed, have parts broken, and need routine maintenance (top ends, etc) is important; having a dealer, maybe two in your state is a non-starter for me, personally

Link Posted: 5/3/2022 1:04:54 PM EDT
[#25]

Shredded some sand on the ole T7 over the weekend.

Link Posted: 5/4/2022 8:45:18 AM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

Thanks, learned something today.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 8:58:56 AM EDT
[#27]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/247228/D8627789-4EB7-4F39-B8D1-C626BC8CCA0D_png-2370876.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/247228/6B152994-9473-4638-97DB-66A254FE6027_png-2370878.JPG

and that's why I don't own a Sherco. Nothing wrong with them; and they seem like great bikes - but an expansive dealership and parts network for something that is likely to be crashed, have parts broken, and need routine maintenance (top ends, etc) is important; having a dealer, maybe two in your state is a non-starter for me, personally

View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/247228/D8627789-4EB7-4F39-B8D1-C626BC8CCA0D_png-2370876.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/247228/6B152994-9473-4638-97DB-66A254FE6027_png-2370878.JPG

There is a little thing called the internet.

Having a ktm dealer in my town did jack shit getting me and my buddies crank pressure sensors for our 2020s. All my buddies that bought tpis have moved on to 4 strokes or other brands because of how shitty they are.

I loved my 18 husky, and every guy I know that rides some form of orange pines for the days of the last carbed bikes from ktm. That being said everyone was or is running a lectron because ktm fucked the carbs up when they dumped keihin.

Supposedly they have the crank pressure sensor ordeal squared away but they are ditching tpi on the xcs for 23 and on the ws for 24.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 11:38:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: J-Pat] [#28]

There is a little thing called the internet.

Having a ktm dealer in my town did jack shit getting me and my buddies crank pressure sensors for our 2020s. All my buddies that bought tpis have moved on to 4 strokes or other brands because of how shitty they are.

I loved my 18 husky, and every guy I know that rides some form of orange pines for the days of the last carbed bikes from ktm. That being said everyone was or is running a lectron because ktm fucked the carbs up when they dumped keihin.

Supposedly they have the crank pressure sensor ordeal squared away but they are ditching tpi on the xcs for 23 and on the ws for 24.
View Quote

1. Sure. But bikes made in limited numbers means limited numbers of parts, too. It's the knock on effect of being a more "niche" brand. Sherco makes about 15,000 bikes worldwide. KTM makes about 230,000. The internet exists - but finding parts for more niche bikes is difficult.

2. Everyone bitches about the TMX38 - but I haven't had any issues. Carbs are beyond the intelligence of most folks - and frankly; they were for me too - until about a year ago. I would say I'm getting around 95% of the performance of a SC2 or Lectron. Bike kicks ass. Follow the instructions in the manual for your altitude is the best thing I can tell anyone with a carb'd KTM. No fancy jet kits, no specialty needles. Literally - what came in the kit; about 15 minutes spent playing with Air/Fuel/Idle and doing two plug chop tests.

3. Yep. Going to TBI. I presume it's to avoid the whole issue entirely. I presume that they're going to change how the TBI works to stop motors from exploding. In a TBI setup, you can use premix.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 1:00:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 1:51:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Great pic!  [cheers]
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 11:40:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KA3B] [#31]
Nothing wrong with the TPI bikes from KTM/Husky/GasGas.
My 2019 300 XC-W tpi still runs great (Even better with the GET ECU, Gnarly pipe, red powervalve spring and the high compression head).

For 2023 KTM released an SX300 with EFI fuel injection and an electronic power valve.
No more oil injection either, back to premix.
https://www.ktm.com/en-us/models/mx/2-stroke/ktm-300-sx-2023.html
https://www.ktm.com/en-us/models/enduro/2-stroke/ktm-300-xc-2023.html

Link Posted: 5/18/2022 12:09:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By KA3B:
Nothing wrong with the TPI bikes from KTM/Husky/GasGas.
My 2019 300 XC-W tpi still runs great (Even better with the GET ECU, Gnarly pipe, red powervalve spring and the high compression head).

For 2023 KTM released an SX300 with EFI fuel injection and an electronic power valve.
No more oil injection either, back to premix.
https://www.ktm.com/en-us/models/mx/2-stroke/ktm-300-sx-2023.html
https://www.ktm.com/en-us/models/enduro/2-stroke/ktm-300-xc-2023.html

https://enduro21.com/images/2022/may-2022/2023-ktm-sx-models-first-look/ktm_250-300-sx_xc-my23-engine-ignition-side_my23_xc-range.jpg

View Quote

That's a 57 Horsepower motor, according to KTM.

Sit and think about that for a second. A stock KX500 makes about 63. A Stock CR500 is somewhere between 55 and 60.

A modern 500cc 2-Stroke by a major manufacturer would be fucking terrifying.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 7:04:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 11:39:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 217] [#34]
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 7:09:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Great day in SW VA for some trail riding.

Attachment Attached File

My oldest ringing out the KX65 in the woods.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/9/2022 9:04:08 PM EDT
[#36]

Broke my big bike yesterday so ripped some skinny trails on the trials bike after work.

Did a 9 mile loop in 57 minutes. Not my fastest time but pretty damn good.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 12:52:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 1:02:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Finally got out to ride the raging CRF511 for the first time this year.  The power and torque of this bike is ridiculous!  A 50 mile ride feels like 500 pull-ups!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 9:23:04 PM EDT
[#39]
All my buddies that bought tpis have moved on to 4 strokes or other brands because of how shitty they are.
View Quote

Strange how none of the KTM/Husky dealers couldn't / can't keep TPI bikes in stock.
Some have issues, some don't.
They have been out long enough that they are known issues.
I am not saying that the TPI bikes are the "best of the best", they are what they are.
I have friends who bought the Athena GET Fuel Injector Relocator kits, I have friends who ditched their 2019's and bought the 2020's with the two crankcase sensors.
I have a friend who sold his 2019 and bought a leftover 2018 carbed Husky 300.
No one has moved on to a different bike because of how "shitty" the TPI bikes are.
Like I said, my 2019 XCW 300 TPI with an Athena GET ECU works pretty damn well.
I do like your Sherco, I would not kick it out of bed for eating crackers.

Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:19:58 PM EDT
[#40]

Strange how none of the KTM/Husky dealers couldn't / can't keep TPI bikes in stock.
I am not saying that the TPI bikes are the "best of the best", they are what they are.
I have friends who bought the Athena GET Fuel Injector Relocator kits, I have friends who ditched their 2019's and bought the 2020's with the two crankcase sensors.
No one has moved on to a different bike because of how "shitty" the TPI bikes are.

View All Quotes
All my buddies that bought tpis have moved on to 4 strokes or other brands because of how shitty they are.

Like I said, I have several buddies I ride with who gave up on ktm/husky 2 strokes because of the tpi issues.  The crank case sensors were the culprit every time and were impossible to get.  No one was seizing them, they just never ran right.  

Friend sold his 2020 300 with 25 hours on it moved on to a 500. I sold my 2020 with 50 hours on it and moved on to a 501. Another buddy bought an 18 te 300 to replace his 14 ktm instead of buying new.  

Throttle body injection should fix it but most guys i ride with are getting tired of ktms price increases with no apparent quality/durability increases.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 11:17:12 PM EDT
[#41]

Pics don’t do it justice but rode a 40 mile loop at a poker run in the cascades today.

I didn’t stop and take any pics but it was my first time riding any legit exposure.  couple sections were rock face on your right, steep, long, bike destroying drop on your left, and 3-4’ of trail to keep you safe.  Such a blast.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 1:03:26 PM EDT
[#42]
I rode 231 miles this morning. This is looking from Ohio into Kentucky.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 11:07:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Riding video from a couple months ago:

XR400 and a YZ450F at Green Mountain

On this guy:

2003 XR400R. I rebuilt it in 2019 with a 10.5:1 piston and stage one cam, tons of power everywhere.

Converted to dual sport last month and she's currently saving my ass from gas prices throwing down low 60's mpgs hauling me to work and back:

Link Posted: 7/15/2022 3:42:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By HiPower1935:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdq8ZI_19VI

On this guy:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/504047/470DE57E-D670-4285-8495-D40F38AB69E1-2453236.jpg

2003 XR400R. I rebuilt it in 2019 with a 10.5:1 piston and stage one cam, tons of power everywhere.

Converted to dual sport last month and she's currently saving my ass from gas prices throwing down low 60's mpgs hauling me to work and back:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/504047/79AB4490-0AE9-40C3-8C40-921C88AFF886-2443808.jpg
View Quote

Nice bike!
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 7:27:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By HiPower1935:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdq8ZI_19VI

On this guy:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/504047/470DE57E-D670-4285-8495-D40F38AB69E1-2453236.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/504047/79AB4490-0AE9-40C3-8C40-921C88AFF886-2443808.jpg
View Quote

Great post all around Dood!

Did you swap tires or get another set of wheels?
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 1:26:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By tree-hugger:

Great post all around Dood!

Did you swap tires or get another set of wheels?
View Quote

Thanks!

I have two sets of wheels for it now, takes about twenty minutes to go from street bike to dirt bike.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 9:10:31 PM EDT
[#47]

Ride last night. Started at about 6:00PM and we pulled back into my buddy's garage at 12:35.

We quit because I ran out of fuel. Should have jammed more into the bike instead of just saying "eh, it's full enough".
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 3:30:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dirtyboy] [#48]

I was told ‘79 but he wasn’t sure. Got it for free but looking toward to getting into it. I parked it in the back corner of the shed for now though.
View Quote

That looks older, I had a yz400 in the late 70's and it had mono shock, aluminum swing arm.
https://dirtbikemagazine.com/mx-history-the-yz400-two-stroke/
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 3:33:51 PM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

Jinxed myself. CRF250L won't run, fuel injection doesn't sound right when you turn the key on.  Only has 18,000 hard miles on it, 2014.  Parked it and am on the crf300l now.  Slightly better power and suspension plus everything works.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 6:12:53 PM EDT
[#50]
My youngest and I went for a ride Saturday morning. There was a lot of rain Friday, so the trails were pretty washed out and rutted. Lots of fun!

Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top