BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Do you carry a reload? (Page 1 of 3)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/17/2024 12:59:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bomb-Tech]
I sometimes do… sometimes don’t… when I do I usually just throw an extra mag in my pocket and head out but I know I need to be more consistent with carrying a spare on me(usually have a couple spare mags in my truck). Anyway…I’m about to order a new OWB holster for my XMacro Tacops and am considering an OWB mag holder too.

Do you carry a reload(s) with your ccw, if so, how many and how do you carry it?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:22:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Try this :

Left rear pocket spare mags

Or

Left front pocket speed loaders & loose rounds

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:51:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Generally I do not. I've tried it, and the spare mag collects a bunch of dust and stuff that's hard to clean so that basically doubles the cleaning time. Plus the spare mag for my CCW usually gets in the way of other stuff I'm trying to carry (and actually use) so I prefer to avoid the hassle. Mags in actual enclosed pouches on your belt or LBE don't really have these disadvantages (like you'll have to clean them too, but not every week) although it adds significant bulk having a fully enclosed mag pouch as part of your CCW setup.

I train to kill 2 or 3 with just the one tiny mag, and statistically you're not getting attacked by 3+ armed people unless you're a drug dealer or something.
So far I haven't run out of ammo from shooting people.

Now if I'm out looking for trouble I'll have 2 or 3 reloads, but that rarely involves CCW activity.

I've got a friend who carries a S&W 642 and he likes to carry the QuickStrip for a reload. That doesn't really experience the dust/crud problem (the revolver itself does, but that's a different topic lol) but that's also not a quick reload so I think that particular battle would have ended before he could have another 6 ready to fire.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:57:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes. Almost always.

I got into the habit at the beginning of my LE career (30 years ago)

I was fortunate enough to train with guys like Pat Rogers and Louis Awerbuck when finding qualified instructors was difficult

They stressed a handful of things to focus on with gear and shooting performance that were learned in blood and hold true today.

I’ve been in two fatal OIS and witnessed a dozen others over the years.

Some factors you can control like your skill level, frequency of practice and gear… most things you can’t.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:13:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Nah I'm small and thin and my sr9c already takes up most of the left side of my belt. That and the phone, keys, wallet, and swiss army knife barely make the cut for a comfortable day.

I do keep a spare mag in the get home bag.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:14:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6gunfighter2] [#5]
Two.

I sometimes carry a "New York Reload" also (another gun).
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:25:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes 1. I would suggest practicecing reloading from pocket. Slower yes, but we are not talking competition.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:47:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I generally carry two extra mags
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:50:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Yep.  15+1 and a 15 reload.  

Pocket carry for the mag, I unload it and blow out the lint every month or so.

Works for me.  43X with a belt clip and a trigger guard cover- about as minimalistic as it gets.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:51:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I carry 1 X spare magazine for my EDC (G-26)
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:59:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JmE] [#10]
Yes, I always carry at least one reload for an auto-loading type primary firearm. I typically recommend two. My current primary is a Glock 17 so I carry two spare 17 round magazines magazines.

Edited: I just noticed that the OP asked about "ccw". I don't conceal but when I do, same deal; two spare magazines.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:34:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I usually do, unless I am just out for a walk in my rural area where I just tote the gun.

On the belt mag holder or just tossed in a pocket is my method for a spare.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:31:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Glocked] [#12]
Yes, with my 43X I carry a spare 15 round Shield Arms mag in my front pocket.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:36:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Always...a 20-rounder
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:05:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes, with one of these.  Always carry a reload. Just like the gun in the first place.  Not certain when you will need it.

https://ciguera.com/collections/pouches/products/mag-sleeve
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:09:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Its your funeral.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:13:38 AM EDT
[#16]
I usually don't, in the past I carried two speed loaders for my S&W 442.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:17:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Always. If not you're trusting the weakest point in about any semi automatic without a backup.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:17:09 AM EDT
[#18]
I thought this meant reloaded cartridges, which is definitely a no-no.  Prosecutors will say you are some kind of vigilante looking to "kill people faster by making your bullets more powerful," and other dumb shit like that.

But juries don't know the difference, hence the danger.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:20:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Due to CT being a liberal hellhole I almost have to carry 2 mags, so I have a sidecar holster.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:26:03 AM EDT
[#20]
I carry two extras every day.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:29:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By thesquidliest:
I thought this meant reloaded cartridges, which is definitely a no-no.  Prosecutors will say you are some kind of vigilante looking to "kill people faster by making your bullets more powerful," and other dumb shit like that.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:39:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Yes, always.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:40:09 AM EDT
[#23]
I dont carry an extra.  I have a wallet, a pocketknife, phone and a gun.  Not really on duty here.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:49:13 AM EDT
[#24]

View Quote
  Massad Ayooh?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:53:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bcr308] [#25]
On most days I carry a total of 30 rounds of 10mm
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:05:08 AM EDT
[#26]
2 mags in my left front pocket, but they are small.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:12:57 AM EDT
[#27]
I generally don't carry a gun.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:34:30 AM EDT
[#28]
I always carry 2 extra
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:43:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Always. On the belt or in a little pocket holster in my off side front pocket. Double pouch on the belt if I'm going someplace sketchy or remote.

Heard enough stories from guys who ran dry. Unless you are drowning or on fire you can't have too much ammo on your person.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:48:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Front left pocket has extra mag and flashlight.  I'm not exactly high speed low drag, but I don't want to get shot for lack of shooting back.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:49:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Always, carry a gun? Then carry one reload at the minimum.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:51:09 AM EDT
[#32]
ITW with a spare mag holder
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:55:15 AM EDT
[#33]
No.  If 20rnds of 9mm doesn't get me out of my predicament, I'm going to need more than an extra mag
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:58:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Have you seen the Fanny Pack thread?
Aside from it being apparently very gay, it’s also a great way to carry a firearm, multiple reloads, a knife, and a light, all in one package.
Just like at the gay bar, grab and go.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:59:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:00:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Fugitive:
  Massad Ayooh?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Massad Ayooh?
Don't remember where or how I heard that tidbit, but I've been following that advice for years now, right or wrong.  I think Ayoob says the same thing, and no i didn't buy one of his carry shirts or other shit he hawks.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:00:29 AM EDT
[#37]
I carry two spare mags
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:03:33 AM EDT
[#38]
I carry 6 loose .45 long colts in my pocket usually mixed in with free hard candy I got at the last truck stop diner, I carry a colt single action army in a leather vest custom made in Mobile Alabama to hold that and a Bowie knife. I drive a truck most days so carrying IWB ain’t feasible and I’m a size 46 waist.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:03:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Shinji_Ikari:
Yes 1. I would suggest practicecing reloading from pocket. Slower yes, but we are not talking competition.
View Quote

Except for your life.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:08:34 AM EDT
[#40]
I always carry one of whatever gun I’m carrying in a nylon pouch that I can slide in a pocket.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:10:01 AM EDT
[#41]
I've been using a Mastemind Tactics Lo-pro mag pouch for about 6 months.  I carry it IWB at betweek 10 and 11 o'clock.  Super comfortable and easy to index.   The Snag Mag works pretty well for pocket carry too.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:11:10 AM EDT
[#42]
spares?  Almost always.  Certainly when I carry a revolver.  I use a belt carrier for the bottom feeders.  Speed strips in a leather holder in the left front pocket for revolvers.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:26:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Always.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:01:34 AM EDT
[#44]
For the P07 it's a spare P09 mag. with a +2 base for 17 rounds of .40 S&W.  Carried IWB on the left side.

For the M&P 2.0 it's two spare mags as the holster also has a mag pouch in front of it.  All IWB.

If it's the Shield Plus 9MM then it's 13+1 in the gun (IWB right side) with a 15 round in the pouch in front of the holster and another 15 round IWB on the left slide and usually another 15 round mag. in the left cargo pocket on my pants/shorts.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:02:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Depends
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:03:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Yep, Glock 19.5/ RMR and tlr 7 factory 15+1 in the gun and a 19 round mag as a reload.
Trex AIWB with sidecar mag pouch.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:05:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By markfall:
I generally don't carry a gun.
View Quote

His name was “markfall.”

Alas, we knew him well.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:05:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HDLS] [#48]
Originally Posted By USSRangerSM:

but what if it jams after first shot?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By imq707s:
No.  If 20rnds of 9mm doesn't get me out of my predicament, I'm going to need more than an extra mag

Clear the malfunction

Run away
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:07:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Glocked] [#49]
Don't remember where or how I heard that tidbit, but I've been following that advice for years now, right or wrong.  I think Ayoob says the same thing, and no i didn't buy one of his carry shirts or other shit he hawks.
View All Quotes

Massad Ayooh?

I’ve been hearing it since I was kid the 90s. Along with some version of carrying black talons or HPs will look bad at your trial. I’ve never seen anyone back it up with anything showing that ammo choice determined an outcome of a self defense trial though.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:08:04 AM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By imq707s:

perhaps you should be training your malfunction clearing drills?  if the gun jams after the 1st shot, swapping to a 2nd mag isn't any faster or guarantee that it fixes the problem.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Do you carry a reload? (Page 1 of 3)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top