Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/16/2024 9:13:06 PM EDT
Do people into this stuff think most people are sheep, stupid, brainwashed, ignorant, simple, dull, fools, and they know "what's actually going on" and they are more enlightened, sharper, and smarter than everyone else.

I have a few acquantances that are big into conspiracies or Q anon stuff and that seems to be their motive. This would me anecdotal data on my part.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:14:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I think many are driven by being morons
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:15:35 PM EDT
[#2]
With the more .GOV gets caught in lies the more credible the conspiracy theorists sound
People are waking up to this nonsense from the media/gov propaganda machine
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:15:52 PM EDT
[#3]
One of the few redeeming qualities of the internet at large is the transparency of motivations

Don't ruin it by telling them though
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:16:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't think it's feeling superior as much as it's feeling special.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:17:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By JimEN:
Do people into this stuff think most people are sheep, stupid, brainwashed, ignorant, simple, dull, fools, and they know "what's actually going on" and they are more enlightened, sharper, and smarter than everyone else.
View Quote

I took an Anthropology course back in the day called "Lost Tribes and Sunken Continents" which was basically about why people believe crazy things.  The gist of it was, yes, people want to believe they have some special knowledge that others are too stupid to realize.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:18:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:19:21 PM EDT
[#7]
My favorite conspiracy theory is that everything's going to be okay.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:20:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hesperus] [#8]
Futurama - And a single conspiracy nut no one will believe

That said I do find myself haunted by a question. If most of our current leadership was made up of lizard like entities wearing skin suits who are working towards the extermination of mankind then what could be done about it? They are above the law. They could take off their skin suits and eat live human babies live on C-Span in the halls of Congress and nothing could be done about it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:20:34 PM EDT
[#9]
George Carlin - Stupid people
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:21:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Since 2020 what's the difference between a conspiracy and the truth?

about 8-12 months.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:22:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Hector_X:

I took an Anthropology course back in the day called "Lost Tribes and Sunken Continents" which was basically about why people believe crazy things.  The gist of it was, yes, people want to believe they have some special knowledge that others are too stupid to realize.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

The premise of the OP does the same thing, doesn't it? The non-conspiracy theorists see themselves as superior intellect, and by sharing this stance on the internet it feeds the OP's sense of superiority. Conventional thought is superior to the crazy ideas of those dummies who think the truth is being hidden by some agenda.

Maybe... I am really here for the guilty/not guilty threads and dinner pics.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:22:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CastleBravo91] [#12]

I have a few acquantances that are big into conspiracies or Q anon stuff and that seems to be their motive. This would me anecdotal data on my part.
View Quote

I've met quite a few people like that. This one dude at work was talking about the whole "birds aren't real" thing, which I always thought was just a joke. He was talking about some video where a bird hovered like a Harrier jet (not a humming bird). I was like "you know they can fake videos real easily, right?"
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:24:57 PM EDT
[#13]
It's usually the dumb, uneducated lovers in life that need something to make them feel better about themselves. They need to feel smarter and more in the know about something or anything.
It's a way to feel special without having any way to prove anything. The more others don't believe what they do it enforces their feelings of superiority.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:25:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By HunterPhillips:

The premise of the OP does the same thing, doesn't it? The non-conspiracy theorists see themselves as superior intellect, and by sharing this stance on the internet it feeds the OP's sense of superiority. Conventional thought is superior to the crazy ideas of those dummies who think the truth is being hidden by some agenda.

View Quote

Some people are two sides of the same coin. Some people tend to believe all conspiracies. Some believe in none of them. Neither are correct. Weird shit happens. That doesn't mean it's all weird shit.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:26:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't know about UFOs, but a couple of years ago a lot of people wore masks and got vaccinated just to satisfy their desire to feel superior to those nasty Trump supporters.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:29:45 PM EDT
[#16]
If I have to hear another monologue about chem trails or free energy I’m going to Van Gogh my ears.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:31:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By lokifox:
If I have to hear another monologue about chem trails or free energy I’m going to Van Gogh my ears.
View Quote

Free energy?

In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics! - The Simpsons
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:55:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: neshomamench] [#18]
"I know something that others do not"  is a nearly universal component of the expressed personalities of such people.   It is one of the things that makes believing such things so intoxicating. It is empowering.  (It also provides answers to things they do not understand)

I am speaking of the folks that tend to be "all in" on conspiracies.  Not the fact that many people latch on the the possibility of one or two "conspiracies" probably being true, and sometimes they turn out to be, on some level.   I am talking about those that tend to believe "all of them" and make "knowing the truth" a part of who they are.

I would rather hang out with vegans and crossfitters. Their personalities are not nearly as all in and at least they believe in something real.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:55:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: neshomamench] [#19]
double tap
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:57:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Morlawn66] [#20]
Originally Posted By GarandM1:
I don't know about UFOs, but a couple of years ago a lot of people wore masks and got vaccinated just to satisfy their desire to feel superior to those nasty Trump supporters.
View Quote

This sums it up . Would imagine most of those who complied wouldn't believe in a conspiracy even if it bit them in the ass or a stab in their arm .

They were talking camps for the unvaxxed and blaming a Pangolin but the Right are the crazy ones .

They were trusting science , just like the cult of climate change .  Then do Russiagate , Russian Collusion . and the Laptop.
The point is , what exactly is a conspiracy ?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:01:36 PM EDT
[#21]

First time I'm hearing of this "superiority" theory on such people...

Idk, I'd lean more towards a fascination with weird shit - like people who used to read the Enquirer (tabloid garbage).
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:02:45 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

Sure. Take a look at Skeptics or Atheists.  Smug and superior, just like conspiracy nuts!
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:03:00 PM EDT
[#23]
On the UFO topic in particular,  I think most take a real interest in it once they have a good sighting or experience that takes away the doubt that there is something abnormal going on.  After that the conspiracy to hide what they are/aren't and that they exist/don't exist is a tangled web.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:03:46 PM EDT
[#24]
I blame innumeracy, black and white thinking, and a profound inability to vet sources of information.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:10:25 PM EDT
[#25]
It's easier to believe other people are controlling your life than admit you're a retard who can't make it anywhere.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:14:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By TotalNovice:
It's easier to believe other people are controlling your life than admit you're a retard who can't make it anywhere.

View Quote

Astute.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:16:24 PM EDT
[#27]
The answer is somewhere in the middle between the official narrative and the quack theory. I don't believe either, but I don't not believe. I have an open mind. Some of the quack theories are fun to read about and good entertainment.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:16:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Gaslighting thread
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:17:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Not the ones I know. They're just fucking nuts.

Flat earth nuts.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:19:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JQ66] [#30]
Originally Posted By GarandM1:
View Quote

Even started this thread...

Then the like minded others have to come in a belittle those who do them no harm or much less any negative influence , because their lives must be so inconsequential and pathetic they are driven to tear down thise whomdo not think/feel exactly as they do.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:19:48 PM EDT
[#31]
I had a coworker who turned down a promotion because he thought the extra money would cause his overall tax increase to lower his take home pay.

He was also a conspiracy theorist.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:21:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rhill] [#32]
Especially those who say every single event of any historical significance is part of a grand, over-arching conspiracy that nobody can actually name or describe, and that every single current event is orchestrated to take your attention off this other thing over here.

And that the people who make visiting the DMV or the VA or the IRS so efficient and organized and wondeful are the SAME people running the highly complex, sophisticated, multi-layered conspiracy stretching back hundreds if not thousands of years without ever once having been exposed or named.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:21:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By eurotrash:
I had a coworker who turned down a promotion because he thought the extra money would cause his overall tax increase to lower his take home pay.

View Quote

The progressive tax system is basically rocket science.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:21:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvQyL8827Ww

That said I do find myself haunted by a question. If most of our current leadership was made up of lizard like entities wearing skin suits who are working towards the extermination of mankind then what could be done about it? They are above the law. They could take off their skin suits and eat live human babies live on C-Span in the halls of Congress and nothing could be done about it.
View Quote
Where would Ham be with teflon loads when ya really need him!
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:23:35 PM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

That all makes perfect sense till you think about the Pedo Island List. Then it all goes to pot because we all know the truth is being hidden by some agenda.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:24:43 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

This has been my personal experience, IF the person has a high IQ.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:25:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By rhill:
Especially those who say every single event of any historical significance is part of a grand, over-arching conspiracy that nobody can actually name or describe, and that every single current event is orchestrated to take your attention off this other thing over here.

And that the people who make visiting the DMV or the VA or the IRS so efficient and organized and wondeful are the SAME people running the highly complex, sophisticated, multi-layered conspiracy stretching back hundreds if not thousands of years without ever once having been exposed or named.
View Quote
I brought this idea up and the guy told me there is a much higher level / quality of persons doing the conspiracy shit.

He was a big 9/11 conspiracy guy.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:27:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Its a bit of that, and a bit of obsession with movies. They often completely irrationally point to "its like in ____ movie".

But mostly its just boredom.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:27:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Distinct lack of Qtard in the thread so far.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:29:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By FALARAK:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FALARAK:

I don't think the people I've dealt with had high IQs. I think they were barely average.

They all had problems getting through life. They created 99 percent of their problems.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:33:07 PM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By eurotrash:

He didn’t understand that you only get taxed on the extra money. Tax code may be rocket science, but tax brackets are basic math.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:34:46 PM EDT
[#42]
I brought this idea up and the guy told me there is a much higher level / quality of persons doing the conspiracy shit.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rhill:

Of course. Government ineptitude and incompetence is the COVER STORY to distract you from the REAL CONSPIRACY!

Everything that looks like conspiracy is part of the conspiracy.

And so is everything that DOESN'T look like part of a conspiracy.

Especially the stuff that doesn't.

That's how you know it is!!!
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:37:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Anybody that doesn't believe what I believe or like what I like is a moron.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:39:09 PM EDT
[#44]
What about "conspiracies" that are obvious...like the intentional destruction of the nation?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:44:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Close to zero. What a weird take.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:46:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By GunwriterGrant:
My favorite conspiracy theory is that everything's going to be okay.
View Quote

Those "Deep State" conspiracy nuts are the würst
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:47:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By CyberSEAL:
What about "conspiracies" that are obvious...like the intentional destruction of the nation?
View Quote

Your fine until you conjecture as to who what where how and why
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:49:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Obviously, we should only believe what Lester Holt tells us.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:49:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dagoth-Ur] [#49]

View Quote

1st, Q-tards  Retards.

2nd.
1st. Most people are fucking idiots
2nd. Most people are fucking idiots
3rd. Most people in power are amoral at best, evil on average, Sadist at worst

George Carlin on Conspiracies

George Carlin: The Illusion of Choice

George Carlin - Conspiracy Theorists and Powerful People
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:49:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Didn't they just charge Trump with conspiracy? ...or is that a conspiracy? This thread is confusing.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top