Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
I need help (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/19/2024 10:45:50 PM EDT
I keep getting in a depressed funk and spend money on stupid shit to feel better for like a day then do it again and again and again. What can I do to help break this without taking medication from a doctor? I know I’m retarded
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:48:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Smd226:
I keep getting in a depressed funk and spend money on stupid shit to feel better for like a day then do it again and again and again. What can I do to help break this without taking medication from a doctor? I know I’m retarded
View Quote

Google minimalism

Workout more

Eat right and get enough sleep
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:49:39 PM EDT
[#2]
check the pinned post on top of this page.

there’s help available if you want to talk to someone.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:52:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy a business and struggle for money, then think about all the guns you could buy if you didn't have 50k a month in expenses
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:10:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:13:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NoFnNamesLeft] [#5]
I have some stupid shit I need bought…. where do I send the list?

Get a hobby that directs your time, money, and effort into something you find rewarding.

The cost for this consultation is a pair of Interco Super Swampers, size 31x11.50-16 tires to go on the back of my shitbox Crown Vic Gambler 500 hooptie.

Find where you fit in, and practice being you.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:14:47 PM EDT
[#6]
There's lots of experience here.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:16:04 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

Plenty of things a doctor can do for you that don't involve medication.  In fact, most of the really effective therapies don't.  You do have to listen though and do what they say.  And fail, get up, and do it again.  

Eventually it sticks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:16:33 PM EDT
[#8]
A little shopping therapy is ok from time to time. Find a hobby that takes your time and not only money. Working on cars, making stuff, etc...
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:19:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Vitamin D or get outside everyday for a nice hike/bike/run/jog etc.  

Push yourself to exhaustion and you will feel better albeit tired.  Any little way to push yourself physically is always a boost IMO.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:20:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Perhaps it’s not stupid shit, you could actually be a genius and be buying exactly what you will need to survive. Just pace yourself. While you consider the options go for a walk.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:23:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zukguy] [#11]
I had a rough winter myself op, and hopefully I'm coming out of it, but the last two days have been rough for some reason.

I have to take a shitload of vitamin D or I don't feel mentally well at all.

Edit, working out hard does help, but it got so bad this winter that it took every ounce of energy I had just to take a leak.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:25:15 PM EDT
[#12]
It's already been said.... Best thing you can do when you're a little fucked in the head is... Stop drinking, eat right, get enough sleep and work on your cardio, every, damn, day. Vitamins wont hurt. Multi, mag, potassium. You'll feel better about yourself PDQ.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:26:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Urimaginaryfrnd:
Perhaps it’s not stupid shit, you could actually be a genius and be buying exactly what you will need to survive. Just pace yourself. While you consider the options go for a walk.
View Quote

Perhaps channel that drive into survival stuff. I've lately been setting up a personal FAK. I got a chain saw a few months ago and thought "What if it got out of hand?" So FAK with lots of wound dressings.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:28:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:30:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Buy ammo
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:44:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Kingdead:
A little shopping therapy is ok from time to time. Find a hobby that takes your time and not only money. Working on cars, making stuff, etc...
View Quote

This, what kinds of things do you like to do?

All kinds of things take more time than you think.  Your be surprised what some time playing card or board games can consume and distract you from, and the big cities in familiar with have store that support that.  Bet a lot of smaller cities have gaming groups.

Heck, any charities need help? Any part time jobs to keep you occupied?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:44:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Read Goodbye things by Fumio Sasaki
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 2:56:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Get a mild mannered dirt or dual-purpose motorcycle and you will forget about your troubles. Dead dog serious.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:13:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By BigPolska:

Google minimalism

Workout more

Eat right and get enough sleep
View Quote

This is tough but solid advice.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:59:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Smd226] [#20]
thank you everyone
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Spending money won't make you happy.  Go for a walk and enjoy nature.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:15:18 PM EDT
[#22]
give being broke a shot, it really helps with buying unnecessary things
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:24:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Find a favorite Podcast or Audiobook and walk for at least 30 minutes a day, makes a world of difference.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:04:29 PM EDT
[#24]
It’s honestly been mostly on knvies guns and flashlight hats what I’ve been buying almost daily
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:15:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Have you tried avoiding carbs and sugar, and maybe doing some fasting?

You might be surprised how much diet effects your mood.

It's good to avoid alcohol too, when you're down.

Might be worth a shot for you.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:17:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Go put the dumb shit you bought to some kind of use.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:21:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By TexRdnec:
give being broke a shot, it really helps with buying unnecessary things
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:26:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Op what's you described is normal . Everyday we are told the world is ending. Everyday we get our noses rubbed in it that people in power hate us. May I suggest volunteering for something. Get out of self and go help someone. It has worked for me numerous times.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:31:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Thank you everyone. I am free of nicotine and alcohol for almost 4 years now. I am kinda active I do need to work out more I’m still working out 2-3 times a week. My diet isn’t the worst but it’s definitely not good
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:33:15 PM EDT
[#30]

how much do you exercise -- addictive behavior like impulse shopping gets you a 'quick hit' of dopamine

you need to replace that with more constructive activities like working out
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:36:11 PM EDT
[#31]
OP, is overtime available at work?  It would occupy some of your time AND give you more money to buy stuff.  Seems like it would be a win-win.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:36:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Hey man, you did one of the harder parts and recognized it and reached out.

It happens to a lot of us. Sometimes worse than others, and everyone deals with it and presents it differently.

First off, find a cheap hobby that makes you active. Itll suck at first but you’ll quickly get into a groove. Go hiking, running, lift weights, get a dog (not cheap, lol)

Try to stay away from drugs and alcohol. Alcohol makes you forget about it for a few, then it all hits 10x as hard.

Set goals for yourself. Start small, it’ll feel great crossing stuff off the list. Have a big goal but take small steps for it.

Most importantly, keep talking to people. It’s ok to need help sometimes. It doesn’t make you any less of a man. It’s harder to tell people you’re struggling than it is to suffer in silence.

If you ever need to talk to someone, send me a PM and I’ll shoot you my cell.

There’s a lot of good people here who care about each other, don’t forget that.

You’ll be ok my dude.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 8:25:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Thank you there is a lot of advice here I really need to do
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 8:29:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ToledoXJ] [#34]
It’s honestly been mostly on knvies guns and flashlight hats what I’ve been buying almost daily
View Quote

You're doing Ok man. When you get to musclecar projects, Night vision, boats, golf and fix r upper houses you'll know you're in real trouble.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 8:36:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Buy a motorcycle.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 8:36:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Good group of folks here...

Sound advice so far all-around - even the comparisons to just being flat broke are good for some perspective

Another vote for Vit D ~take 10,000 iu a day for a couple of weeks and then drop back to 5,000 and see how you feel.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 8:50:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Set a goal for your money. At the end of the month I want X$ in my account. Hit that amount and next month make the goal higher. In the mean time go find something outside to do. You’re in WY? There’s a lot to do outside even if you’re not in the mountains.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 8:53:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 8:56:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By MFP_4073:

how much do you exercise -- addictive behavior like impulse shopping gets you a 'quick hit' of dopamine

you need to replace that with more constructive activities like working out
View Quote
^ This.  Any sort of exercise (e.g. walking) helps you mentally, in addition to physically.  
I bought a $25 set Tozo earbuds to help occupy my mind when I walk.  Music, talk radio, news, whatever.  

If you don't mind the commitment, get a dog.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:01:14 PM EDT
[#40]
I know how ya feel man. Find something to occupy your time.. I'm balls deep in house renovation to move my mom down to us. Been too busy to spend money.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:02:53 PM EDT
[#41]
What are you buying the guns, knives, and hats for?  

If you enjoy collecting I don't think there's anything wrong with that.  If it's to prepare for the end of the world and you're just sitting around in your bean fort waiting for the shit to hit the fan...yeah that's not great.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:06:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Get  involved in church & activities
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:08:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By zukguy:
I had a rough winter myself op, and hopefully I'm coming out of it, but the last two days have been rough for some reason.

Edit, working out hard does help, but it got so bad this winter that it took every ounce of energy I had just to take a leak.
View Quote

I'm similar. My wife and co-workers say I'm solar powered. I could never live up North or in a cold climate. I would be non functional in no time.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:09:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Billy Strings “Standing In The Need Of Prayer” Atlanta, GA— 3.1.24
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:13:21 PM EDT
[#45]
I used to do the same thing.  Then I became poor.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:13:47 PM EDT
[#46]
I’ve been there. Short term “high” for the endorphins. Exercise really helps me. Volunteerism can be great as well.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:14:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By @zukguy:

View Quote

What is vitamin D toxicity?

Vitamin D toxicity (hypervitaminosis D) happens when you have too much vitamin D in your body. It’s a rare complication that most often happens from taking higher-than-prescribed amounts of prescription vitamin D or too much of a self-prescribed over-the-counter (OTC) supplement.

Excess vitamin D leads to hypercalcemia (higher-than-normal levels of calcium in your blood), which is what causes symptoms.

Vitamin D toxicity usually isn’t life-threatening, but it can be quite harmful to your health. Severe cases can cause issues such as kidney failure, abnormal heart rhythm (arrhythmia), unsteady gait (ataxia) and confusion.

What is vitamin D?
Vitamin D is an essential vitamin — a hormone, really — that your body uses for normal bone development and maintenance. Vitamin D also plays a role in your nervous system, musculoskeletal system and immune system. Your body converts the vitamin D that you consume into the “active” form of vitamin D. The active form helps your body absorb calcium.

You can get vitamin D in a variety of ways, including:

Sun exposure on your skin.
Through the food and drinks you consume.
Through nutritional supplements and prescription medications.
Vitamin D toxicity typically only happens from taking too much of a vitamin D supplement or prescription medication.

How common is vitamin D toxicity?
Vitamin D toxicity is rare. There are around 4,500 cases per year in the United States.

What is a toxic level of vitamin D?
The dose of vitamin D you need to take to produce toxic signs and symptoms varies greatly. It can occur with as little as 2,000 international units per day (IU/d) in susceptible people.

Healthy daily requirements for vitamin D include:

People ages 19 to 50: 600 IU/d.
People ages 50 to 70: At least 600 IU/d.
People older than 70: At least 800 IU/d.
The maximum suggested daily requirement is 4,000 IU/d for healthy adults.

Talk to your healthcare provider if you’re concerned about your vitamin D intake. They can provide guidance on whether you should take a supplement and how much.

Symptoms and Causes
What are the symptoms of vitamin D toxicity?
The symptoms of vitamin D toxicity are mainly due to hypercalcemia. They include:

Decrease in appetite.
Nausea and vomiting.
Constipation.
Dehydration.
Increased thirst (polydipsia).
Frequent urination.
Confusion, lethargy and fatigue.
Muscle weakness and difficulty walking.
Bone pain.
Kidney stones.
What causes vitamin D toxicity?
Vitamin D toxicity most often results from taking too much prescription-strength vitamin D or too much of an over-the-counter vitamin D supplement. If you’re taking a vitamin D supplement, you should periodically get blood work to test your level of vitamin D.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:16:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By @cmw:
Good group of folks here...

Sound advice so far all-around - even the comparisons to just being flat broke are good for some perspective

Another vote for Vit D ~take 10,000 iu a day for a couple of weeks and then drop back to 5,000 and see how you feel.
View Quote

What is a toxic level of vitamin D?
The dose of vitamin D you need to take to produce toxic signs and symptoms varies greatly. It can occur with as little as 2,000 international units per day (IU/d) in susceptible people.

Healthy daily requirements for vitamin D include:

People ages 19 to 50: 600 IU/d.
People ages 50 to 70: At least 600 IU/d.
People older than 70: At least 800 IU/d.
The maximum suggested daily requirement is 4,000 IU/d for healthy adults.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:18:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Build a sauna and use it daily. Thats been my therapy
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:20:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Continually buying stuff you don't need and won't use, huh?

Sounds terrible.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
I need help (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top