User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 12
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:44:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Notcalifornialegal:

People talk about how divorce is the most expensive thing that can happen to someone and it's not.

It's absolutely investment mismanagement and not saving.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By macros73:

Watching your posts over the past few years have helped me stay the course. I don't have your level of income or savings, and my best hope is to die early, but last year was the first time I was able to max out my IRA, 401k, and HSA. Aiming to do it again this year. Was contributing in previous years, just not to this extent.

People talk about how divorce is the most expensive thing that can happen to someone and it's not.

It's absolutely investment mismanagement and not saving.

Wife and I joke that if we get divorced we’d both be fucked financially. In for a penny…
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 10:35:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I like being a bear because it's an economic shitpost

My real money goes into index funds but being a bear online is really really fun.

Also I often buy small positions in 0DTE SPY options sometimes, like $50. I always post them when I win on Webull but never post when I stop out.  Basically, investing for growth is unquestionably the best strategy, but you would be surprised how much rage comes for you when you take a bearish position.

On top of just shitposting, short term bear options are fantastic to pair with news. I made $800 in a day on the United Health Care scandal with $150.

In my opinion the key is to be long term bullish, but have some liquid cash to take advantage of bear events, then shitpost about it
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 10:43:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:

My real money goes into index funds but being a bear online is really really fun.

Also I often buy small positions in 0DTE SPY options sometimes, like $50. I always post them when I win on Webull but never post when I stop out.  Basically, investing for growth is unquestionably the best strategy, but you would be surprised how much rage comes for you when you take a bearish position.

On top of just shitposting, short term bear options are fantastic to pair with news. I made $800 in a day on the United Health Care scandal with $150.

In my opinion the key is to be long term bullish, but have some liquid cash to take advantage of bear events, then shitpost about it
View Quote

Bro ain't lived till he's day traded onion futures.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 10:57:34 PM EDT
[#4]

View Quote

I miss free money.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 12:20:53 AM EDT
[#5]

futures looking green for Thursday
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 6:52:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I re-read this whole thread this morning while enjoying my coffee. Page 1 is my favorite.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 9:03:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By anothermisanthrope:
I re-read this whole thread this morning while enjoying my coffee. Page 1 is my favorite.
View Quote

The dooomerism here on arfcom is an interesting phenomenon. I don't think I've ever read an actual "the market is crashing, the sky is falling, we're all gonna be eating rats soon" thread that actually had said events come to pass.

But I HAVE read lots of threads where people "went to cash" and "got their money out of the market" when the markets were low, and ended up missing out on crazy good returns soon afterwards.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 4:41:23 PM EDT
[#8]
New record highs on all three indexes.

Run bull. Run.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 7:38:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Friendly reminder to not finger fuck your shit. Emotional and short term investing will kill your wealth building.

Tortoise vs hare. The turtle wins. The bull always wins. I can’t understand how people can’t think beyond the present. When history keeps smacking their face
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 7:48:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By spidey07:
Friendly reminder to not finger fuck your shit. Emotional and short term investing will kill your wealth building.

Tortoise vs hare. The turtle wins. The bull always wins. I can’t understand how people can’t think beyond the present. When history keeps smacking their face
View Quote

Bears love to finger fuck shit. If you ride bearish plays you lose.

I was in this less than a day. I will sometimes cash puts within the hour.

Link Posted: 3/22/2024 7:51:00 PM EDT
[#11]
20 minutes

Link Posted: 3/22/2024 7:51:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By mochaTX:
Value purchased tech like INTC which has gone from $23 to $40+. MSFT and such. Shorting NVDA.

Like I said waiting until 1Q24.
View Quote

Guessing this is why OP hasn't been back. Mentioned in November and posted in December. And I'm not celebrating someone losing money.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 8:19:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I can't think of a way to bear that doesn't involve risk. Inverse funds decay, puts expire, and shorting leaves you exposed.

However it is nice to make some money on down trends. Taking a few hundred or a thousand bucks short term bear is awesome. Not only do you make money, but you make money during down trends. Furthermore, taking a small amount to actively trade let's you have some fun and not bother your growth funds.

Just buying the dips is boring and gay. Your automatic investments and 401k contributions already do that.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 8:21:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Notcalifornialegal] [#14]
I can't think of a way to bear that doesn't involve risk. Inverse funds decay, puts expire, and shorting leaves you exposed.

However it is nice to make some money on down trends. Taking a few hundred or a thousand bucks short term bear is awesome. Not only do you make money, but you make money during down trends. Furthermore, taking a small amount to actively trade let's you have some fun and not bother your growth funds.

Just buying the dips is boring and gay. Your automatic investments and 401k contributions already do that.
View Quote

Maxing out the equity on your house to buy stock is pretty lit.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 8:21:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 8:24:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Guessing this is why OP hasn't been back. Mentioned in November and posted in December. And I'm not celebrating someone losing money.
View All Quotes
Value purchased tech like INTC which has gone from $23 to $40+. MSFT and such. Shorting NVDA.

Damn. That’s the biggest burn ever. Not only did op fail on sp. he shorted nvidia.

That doomer is broke. Broke ass doomer.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 8:26:46 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

When your shit swings 100k in a month you’ll change.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 8:27:26 PM EDT
[#18]

Damn. That’s the biggest burn ever. Not only did op fail on sp. he shorted nvidia.

View All Quotes

I'm desperately trying to find a hilarious article about how Warren Buffet's investment style is gay. You will all laugh your ass off.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 8:28:27 PM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes

Did that in 2020, 3%. My own money printer.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 8:39:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Long have I thought about Berkshire’s conservative approach to investing, and the more I think about the more gay I realize it is. I mean come on, all Buffett and Munger do is throw a few billions at an already established money printing company, and wait like 35 years for a 20% return and sell.
Where is the fun in that? Spoiler: there is none, If I had that many billions all I would do is throw a couple big ones at Apple and forget about it too. A literal 5 year old, or average WallStreetBets user post GameStop could do that shit with ease, it’s the stock market equivalent of sitting in a corner with a shotgun and not moving in Call of Duty.

Buffett maybe you should grow a pair and maybe I don’t know throw 50% of all of your funds available cash into OTM $ARKK options expiring at the end of this week? I wouldn’t even care if you bought puts just to show me you’re not the coward I think you are, showing me you can adapt to the times.
We live in times where there are hedge funds who exclusively trade options and you still trade like it’s the 1880s when you were a younger twenty year old investor trying to save some extra cash.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 8:44:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Notcalifornialegal] [#21]
Long have I thought about Berkshire’s conservative approach to investing, and the more I think about the more gay I realize it is. I mean come on, all Buffett and Munger do is throw a few billions at an already established money printing company, and wait like 35 years for a 20% return and sell.
Where is the fun in that? Spoiler: there is none, If I had that many billions all I would do is throw a couple big ones at Apple and forget about it too. A literal 5 year old, or average WallStreetBets user post GameStop could do that shit with ease, it’s the stock market equivalent of sitting in a corner with a shotgun and not moving in Call of Duty.

Buffett maybe you should grow a pair and maybe I don’t know throw 50% of all of your funds available cash into OTM $ARKK options expiring at the end of this week? I wouldn’t even care if you bought puts just to show me you’re not the coward I think you are, showing me you can adapt to the times.
We live in times where there are hedge funds who exclusively trade options and you still trade like it’s the 1880s when you were a younger twenty year old investor trying to save some extra cash.
View Quote

I can't give my opinion on Warren Buffett style investing or ARKK without getting into trouble with Finra.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 8:47:15 PM EDT
[#22]

I can't give my opinion on Warren Buffett style investing or ARKK without getting into trouble with Finra.  
View All Quotes

THE GOVERNMENT STRIKES AGAIN

HOW DO I BUY PUTS ON THE GOVERNMENT BEING SMART
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 9:02:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By SparticleBrane:

But I HAVE read lots of threads where people "went to cash" and "got their money out of the market" when the markets were low, and ended up missing out on crazy good returns soon afterwards.
View Quote

and the crazy thing is -- it's not an 'all or nothing' proposition

no one says you have to be 100% equities -- in fact for most people -- that's probably not smart

but if you DO feel prone to DOOM -- just dial back some %.  instead of 90/10 or 80/20 or whatever -- go 50/50 or some conservative percentage.  

or pick an amount based on spending patterns :  like i want three years cash -- so $225K in cash / low risk bonds.  whatever...

but yeah -- to go 'all cashed out' and miss the 30% run-up...  ouch.   those big gains are tough to make up.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 9:23:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spidey07] [#24]
Originally Posted By MFP_4073:

no one says you have to be 100% equities -- in fact for most people -- that's probably not smart

but if you DO feel prone to DOOM -- just dial back some %.  instead of 90/10 or 80/20 or whatever -- go 50/50 or some conservative percentage.  

or pick an amount based on spending patterns :  like i want three years cash -- so $225K in cash / low risk bonds.  whatever...

but yeah -- to go 'all cashed out' and miss the 30% run-up...  ouch.   those big gains are tough to make up.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MFP_4073:

Full disclosure. I retire in 3 years. Still 100% us stonks. Every account. I’m still in growth mode. And the growth has been good.

When I need the income I’ll dial back a bit, the growth will feed the cap/income products. Ain’t scared.

Shit can swing 100 in a month. Plus or minus. Ain’t scared.  Just keep buying.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:13:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:15:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FALARAK] [#26]
The S&P 500 is up 5 months straight — and history favors momentum

Since 1950, there have been 30 five-month streaks in the S&P 500, including the most recent one, along with another streak that ended last July. In all but two of the prior 28 cases, the S&P 500 was higher 12 months later, with an average gain of 12.5% and a 93% win rate.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:05:13 AM EDT
[#27]
There is some humor in the fact that the index is up about 1000 (roughly 1/5 growth) from 5 months ago when this thread started... just sayin... wonder if anyone actually cashed out and is really yelling at clouds now?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:38:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OregonShooter] [#28]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:19:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Its weird. I need these white collar fools to not go broke, but it’s absolutely crazy right now. Conspiratorially, is it engineered? I remember all us construction guys were just blindly hopp’n and a skipp’n in 2006 when i started to hear assholes say something’s coming, better prepare. Ignored them, cashed checks and went on. Doomers. Heck with them. Problem is now all those smart white collar geniuses are hopp’n and a skipp’n and not at the wheel to tell us to prepare. Wake up, i want you to keep your money so i can take some of it…
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:21:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By boolzi:
Its weird. I need these white collar fools to not go broke, but it’s absolutely crazy right now. Conspiratorially, is it engineered? I remember all us construction guys were just blindly hopp’n and a skipp’n in 2006 when i started to hear assholes say something’s coming, better prepare. Ignored them, cashed checks and went on. Doomers. Heck with them. Problem is now all those smart white collar geniuses are hopp’n and a skipp’n and not at the wheel to tell us to prepare. Wake up, i want you to keep your money so i can take some of it…
View Quote

As posted this is following history to a damn tee. The emotional money makes the history/logic money rich.

Pick a side.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:29:04 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

The issue really is IF you can time it.

I am a huge fan of dumping extra money in after a crash, COVID was the last great one. Tons of money to be made buying low.

Everyone knows being a bear isn't a long term strategy. Bears are in reality, greedier bulls. They are trying to profit off both sides of market movement. I dabble in bearishness. Made some decent money on United Healthcare puts.

But to time an entire market movement? No way. Or to put significant money on a downward trend? No way.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:39:56 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

Construction guys ignored the warning and didn't prepare, but the other guys are the fools and assholes? lol
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:44:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Off-the-Grid:

Construction guys ignored the warning and didn't prepare, but the other guys are the fools and assholes? lol
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Off-the-Grid:

Is asshole derogatory?

Sometimes my English gets superinflated.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:48:17 PM EDT
[#34]
But to explain, to us driving nails with our foreheads, we looked  at them as assholes at the time, meaning we were doing well in our market and they were calling doom. Like what you talki’n bout man…dont try to shit in our Wheaties…asshole was the term then, now, its doomer.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:03:03 AM EDT
[#35]

The issue really is IF you can time it.

I am a huge fan of dumping extra money in after a crash, COVID was the last great one. Tons of money to be made buying low.

Everyone knows being a bear isn't a long term strategy. Bears are in reality, greedier bulls. They are trying to profit off both sides of market movement. I dabble in bearishness. Made some decent money on United Healthcare puts.

But to time an entire market movement? No way. Or to put significant money on a downward trend? No way.
View Quote

the issue with timing the market is that you have to be right twice. My dad pulled out of almost all stocks right before covid. Looked like a genius. Except he never got back in. Granted he's retired and very risk averse, and while he did preserve his capital he would have been way better off just leaving it in and riding the lightning.

I read something I wish I saved, that if you account for being out of the market on like it's 20 best days, which were often during downturns, your overall return was like 1000% worse than just leaving it in.

besides, pulling out is never as fun as leaving it in
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:42:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:18:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Feb & March were good months to be in index funds.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:04:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By OregonShooter:
Fed projections point to imminent recession.

https://www.businessinsider.com/recession-feds-rate-cut-forecast-point-economic-downturn-david-rosenberg-2024-3
View Quote

I thought there were 3 raises coming this year? That’s crazy. They just need to get the markets to calm down, dropping would seem to give them crack.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:26:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Stonks are on sale 1% off today!
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 1:08:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spidey07] [#40]
View Quote

You know I buy every Friday, right?  Because Easter my cash buys today.

It’s not like I have to do anything. It’s all automatic. I’m talking taxable account.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 1:18:15 PM EDT
[#41]

I thought there were 3 raises coming this year? That’s crazy. They just need to get the markets to calm down, dropping would seem to give them crack.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By OregonShooter:
Fed projections point to imminent recession.

https://www.businessinsider.com/recession-feds-rate-cut-forecast-point-economic-downturn-david-rosenberg-2024-3

Yields up again. The realization of inflation looks to be taking off again is sinking in.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 1:20:04 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

Humana is down almost 14% on the day.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 3:56:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Stonks are on sale again today.

My precious NVDA is down 10%. Might buy some more soon...
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 4:04:10 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

Yeah what's happening? Meta is down over 4%.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 4:04:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 5:25:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By JustinU235:

View All Quotes

Fedspeak that inflation is sticky.  Higher for longer.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:26:02 PM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes

Reality is slowly emerging?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:39:27 PM EDT
[#48]
If the Fed was smart they would have raised rates months ago.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:41:07 PM EDT
[#49]

Reality is slowly emerging?
View Quote
Oh ok.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 7:02:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Markets got jumpy with Middle East turmoil mostly I think. Now we're just left with the equivalent of the varsity sprinter getting an a pissing match with the low IQ kid that likes to cause shit.

It needed to pump the brakes. Give it a few weeks and it'll be bull run again.

I have noticed all the people my parents age seem to be really concerned about what's happening over there. Seems like all of the Gen Xers and millennials hang around with. Don't seem to give a shit about it.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top