User Panel

Site Notices
Lone survivor revisited (Page 5 of 6)
Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:17:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MFP_4073] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Capt-Planet:

Throwing medals at something doesn't make it positive.
View Quote

LOL.  

another point.  ML was the team's medic.  where is his position with respect to wounded ?  at a casualty collection point -- out of direct danger -- to treat said wounded.  perhaps -- if some maintain he was moving away from contact -- that is why.  

point being -- nobody knows EXACTLY what he did / when / why in the heat of battle...  i surely will not denigrate his actions.  but if we have people here who want to -- i hope they have facts and proof and post it up.  

it's been a while since i read up all the versions of the event.  it's been fashionable to bash the men / the operation / the results, etc.  absolutely mistakes were made.  i agree the book is very questionable.  

but I'm not going to trash ML's personal actions.  anyone who does should be factual with proof.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:20:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Has a certain  industry partner shown up yet?

He used to show up in every luttrell thread and denigrate the character of anyone who dared question the official narrative
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:21:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By feetpiece:

I bet Dakota was cool before he was seduced by Palin poon
View Quote

I find it odd someone with the MoH would come out as he did against civilians LARPing. I would have expected someone who achieved that would be very secure and not care if civilians play soldier.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:29:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By MFP_4073:

LOL.  

another point.  ML was the team's medic.  where is his position with respect to wounded ?  at a casualty collection point -- out of direct danger -- to treat said wounded.  perhaps -- if some maintain he was moving away from contact -- that is why.  

point being -- nobody knows EXACTLY what he did / when / why in the heat of battle...  i surely will not denigrate his actions.  but if we have people here who want to -- i hope they have facts and proof and post it up.  

it's been a while since i read up all the versions of the event.  it's been fashionable to bash the men / the operation / the results, etc.  absolutely mistakes were made.  i agree the book is very questionable.  

but I'm not going to trash ML's personal actions.  anyone who does should be factual with proof.
View Quote

I don't think that makes any sense in the context of a 4 man team engaging at least three 4 man teams centered on PKMs and also with RPGs. Particularly since the PKM teams had the positional advantage and likely surprise.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:38:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By DonS:

I find it odd someone with the MoH would come out as he did against civilians LARPing. I would have expected someone who achieved that would be very secure and not care if civilians play soldier.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I bet Dakota was cool before he was seduced by Palin poon

IMHO, a man can see enough of war to sour their perspective of anything related to it.

Alaskan trailer poon just pushed him over the edge and LARP'ers are an easy target for a Marine.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:45:38 PM EDT
[#6]

LOL.  

View Quote

As a guy who was a medic on a small team in combat, I don't think I would look at it like that. I always knew that my suppressive fire is better preventative medicine than anything else I can do during a fire fight. The "Care Under Fire" side of things means I would try to do self-aid and buddy-aid of throwing TQs on limbs and possibly helping someone to move out of a specific danger area. That would usually be the extent of my medical aid in a situation like that. Otherwise I'm in the fight until we gain a position of superiority. Then we can start transitioning to Tactical Field Care and establishing a CCP.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:45:54 PM EDT
[#7]

IMHO, a man can see enough of war to sour their perspective of anything related to it.

Alaskan trailer poon just pushed him over the edge and LARP'ers are an easy target for a Marine.
View Quote

It looked more like a show of insecurity.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:45:57 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

A lot of these guys seem to buy into their own hype and end up putting off a “you’re welcome for my service” type vibe.

Dakota Meyer, Tim Kennedy, Glover, etc…
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:51:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Heartbreaker1373] [#9]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:58:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DonS] [#10]
Originally Posted By bg10:

A lot of these guys seem to buy into their own hype and end up putting off a “you’re welcome for my service” type vibe.

Dakota Meyer, Tim Kennedy, Glover, etc…
View Quote

The first SEAL I met (and was actually friends with) was Vietnam era (he never went in country or was in combat). It was back in the 70s in a martial arts dojo. He was very down to earth and a great guy. But back then most people had no idea what a SEAL was. At the time it was all about the Green Berets, culturally speaking.

Also, at the time, one of the guys in the dojo who was a bit of a nutcase wanted to become a Green Beret. No idea what happened to him, but I would hope he didn't make the cut. He seemed similar to the crazy guy in Stripes.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:02:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 80sgyrene] [#11]
“Just name a hero, and I’ll prove he’s a bum”. G. Boyington

None of us are perfect, but the military has been throwing medals at mistakes for a long time.

When the testimonials come from individuals serving with/under the awarded person, then I put more weight into the truth of the account.
When it comes from the higher ups with no corroborating accounts, not so much.

Eta- the drone footage from Roberts Ridge PROVES that Chapman was a fucking stud.
The USN should be ashamed how they handled the MOH situation, especially Symanski and Slybinski.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:05:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Human beings and their egos and agendas ruin everything good and holy and pure.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:20:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm coming to the conclusion that everything I read is just a BS made up story.   I've got a while bookcase full of unread books that I ought to just throw in the trash.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:45:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Buckshot4U:

Ditto.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Buckshot4U:
Originally Posted By sabre_kc:
This thread is a good read. For you guys in the know, thanks for taking the time to post.

Ditto.

Same.  

I felt that it was a whole lotta BS when I read American Sniper and Lone Survivor.  Naturally the movies were even more full of BS.    Either way I guess is those guys served and I didn't so who am I to cast judgement (like anybody would care what I think.)
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:03:33 PM EDT
[#15]

don't know about that.  i wasn't there -- nobody here was either.  in any case -- falling back to a more defensible position when outnumbered under heavy fire is always a course of action anyway.  units 'run from a fight' as you say for many reasons.  especially a lightly armed reconnaissance unit.  

Moreover -- here is his Navy Cross citation.  the second highest award a person can earn.

Citation reads :

The President of the United States of America takes pleasure in presenting the Navy Cross to Petty Officer Marcus Luttrell, United States Navy, for extraordinary heroism in actions against the enemy while serving in a four-man Special Reconnaissance element with SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team ONE, Naval Special Warfare Task unit, Afghanistan from 27 to 28 June 2005, in the vicinity of Asadabad, Konar Province, Afghanistan. Operating in the middle of an enemy-controlled area, in extremely rugged terrain, his Special Reconnaissance element was tasked with locating a high-level Anti-Coalition Militia leader, in support of a follow-on direct action mission to disrupt enemy activity. On 28 June 2005, the element was spotted by Anti-Coalition Militia sympathizers, who immediately revealed their position to the militia fighters. As a result, the element directly encountered the enemy. Demonstrating exceptional resolve and fully understanding the gravity of the situation and his responsibility to his teammates, the unidentified SEAL fought valiantly against the numerically superior and positionally advantaged enemy force. By his undaunted courage in the face of heavy enemy fire, and absolute devotion to his teammates, Petty Officer Luttrell will long be remembered for the role he played in the Global War on Terrorism. Petty Officer Luttrell's courageous and selfless heroism reflected great credit upon him and were in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.

-------------------

so yeah -- i'll stick with :  Marcus Luttrell has valor.  

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bully13:

What about if he ran from the fight?

don't know about that.  i wasn't there -- nobody here was either.  in any case -- falling back to a more defensible position when outnumbered under heavy fire is always a course of action anyway.  units 'run from a fight' as you say for many reasons.  especially a lightly armed reconnaissance unit.  

Moreover -- here is his Navy Cross citation.  the second highest award a person can earn.

Citation reads :

The President of the United States of America takes pleasure in presenting the Navy Cross to Petty Officer Marcus Luttrell, United States Navy, for extraordinary heroism in actions against the enemy while serving in a four-man Special Reconnaissance element with SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team ONE, Naval Special Warfare Task unit, Afghanistan from 27 to 28 June 2005, in the vicinity of Asadabad, Konar Province, Afghanistan. Operating in the middle of an enemy-controlled area, in extremely rugged terrain, his Special Reconnaissance element was tasked with locating a high-level Anti-Coalition Militia leader, in support of a follow-on direct action mission to disrupt enemy activity. On 28 June 2005, the element was spotted by Anti-Coalition Militia sympathizers, who immediately revealed their position to the militia fighters. As a result, the element directly encountered the enemy. Demonstrating exceptional resolve and fully understanding the gravity of the situation and his responsibility to his teammates, the unidentified SEAL fought valiantly against the numerically superior and positionally advantaged enemy force. By his undaunted courage in the face of heavy enemy fire, and absolute devotion to his teammates, Petty Officer Luttrell will long be remembered for the role he played in the Global War on Terrorism. Petty Officer Luttrell's courageous and selfless heroism reflected great credit upon him and were in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.

-------------------

so yeah -- i'll stick with :  Marcus Luttrell has valor.  

That's what Yeager did
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:04:08 PM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes

GD is my only social media so I missed out on anything other than shitposting about it after the fact. My disdain for the Palin clan is what keeps the memory fresh.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:06:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By 80sgyrene:

None of us are perfect, but the military has been throwing medals at mistakes for a long time.

When the testimonials come from individuals serving with/under the awarded person, then I put more weight into the truth of the account.

Eta- the drone footage from Roberts Ridge PROVES that Chapman was a fucking stud.
The USN should be ashamed how they handled the MOH situation, especially Symanski and Slybinski.
View Quote

Long ago I read Boyington's book. I don't recall it as self promotion, although granted I was young and may not have picked up on it. Perhaps his total number of air to air kills isn't as high as claimed (although we are not talking a huge number here), but he was in the Flying Tigers, did lead a USMC fighter squadron, and was shot down and spent time as a POW in Japan.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:08:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By iwouldntknow:

That's what Yeager did

View Quote

Please God don't compare Yeager to a SEAL unless you're talking about Mookie
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:10:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Anti-coalition militia?

That write up doesn't really say what he did.
View Quote

ACM (anti-coalition militia) was the proper nomenclature for dudes we were hunting in 04-05 in that AOR.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:12:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By DvlDog:
It was a lot of shit. A cumulative effect. He was the intel liaison for the SEAL det and came to the meetings of all the S2/G2 movers and shakers in TF-Ramadi. Meeting was chaired by a Marine Captain. The room was half Marine, a guy from 3rd ID, A guy from the KS guard, Kyle and sometimes another sailor, occasionally some guys from the police advisor mission, sometimes the FBI dude, and me, a civ at the time. Averaged a dozen people but could surge up to 20 if there was shit going on
 Anyway, Kyle would drop these fucking whoppers in the meeting when sometimes half the fucking room was out there on the op. The one I think that got him sent back across the river was when he claimed he took out 3 insurgents from his rooftop. I fucking snort laughed because I was right fucking below him tearing down an LP and I didnt hear shit. No one fired a fucking shot. The Marines had their helmets off and were playing soccer with kids in the street. A boot Lt and his Plt Sgt were giving out “micro grants” to the business owners, it was chill as fuck and this ding dong claimed he was dropping bad guys and the rest of us missed it.
View Quote

I'm guessing all these imaginary kills made it into his sniper kill count.  Along with his kills from the Superdome roof during Katrina of course...
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:12:50 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

It's odd that Chapman clones aren't more popular

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:20:06 PM EDT
[#22]

As a guy who was a medic on a small team in combat, I don't think I would look at it like that. I always knew that my suppressive fire is better preventative medicine than anything else I can do during a fire fight. The "Care Under Fire" side of things means I would try to do self-aid and buddy-aid of throwing TQs on limbs and possibly helping someone to move out of a specific danger area. That would usually be the extent of my medical aid in a situation like that. Otherwise I'm in the fight until we gain a position of superiority. Then we can start transitioning to Tactical Field Care and establishing a CCP.
View Quote

thanks for your perspective.  i can understand how things might be different on a smaller team.

i was an Infantry Platoon Leader (pre-GWOT) and i can say if our platoon medic went up front to engage all hell would break loose (Platoon Sergeant would go ballistic lol)  -- but that's with ~30 men.

i understand that if the medic represents 25% of available firepower -- potentially different situation as you mention.

the bolded part above -- might never happen.  

another separate issue --- in any movement -- Rally Points are established.  if separated -- it is also possible ML was looking to go back to the last known Rally Point.

again - without sounding like a broken record --  there are 'reasons' he may have done what he did.  Even if it seems like he was 'running away'.    

Did the PL initiate 'Break Contact' ??  if he did -- there's ANOTHER reason to go 'backwards'.   to get to a better more defensible position.  

appreciate your comments

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:23:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By LineOfDeparture:

ACM (anti-coalition militia) was the proper nomenclature for dudes we were hunting in 04-05 in that AOR.
View Quote

When the Brits were in the Sudan they called 'em fuzzy wuzzies because of their afros. Why does everything have to suck now? I'm sure Marines could come up with something better than anti-coalition militia.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:54:11 PM EDT
[#24]

Long ago I read Boyington's book. I don't recall it as self promotion, although granted I was young and may not have picked up on it. Perhaps his total number of air to air kills isn't as high as claimed (although we are not talking a huge number here), but he was in the Flying Tigers, did lead a USMC fighter squadron, and was shot down and spent time as a POW in Japan.
View All Quotes

I wasn’t disparaging him, I was using his quote to prove a point. According to his pilots in 214, the man was fearless, and a great pilot.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:58:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fullmetaledges] [#25]
Neat. Post up Pat Tillmans Silver Star citation next. Come to think of it why was he awarded a Purple Heart? Oh yeah it’s because sometimes they make shit up.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:09:12 PM EDT
[#26]

thanks for your perspective.  i can understand how things might be different on a smaller team.

i was an Infantry Platoon Leader (pre-GWOT) and i can say if our platoon medic went up front to engage all hell would break loose (Platoon Sergeant would go ballistic lol)  -- but that's with ~30 men.

i understand that if the medic represents 25% of available firepower -- potentially different situation as you mention.

the bolded part above -- might never happen.  

another separate issue --- in any movement -- Rally Points are established.  if separated -- it is also possible ML was looking to go back to the last known Rally Point.

again - without sounding like a broken record --  there are 'reasons' he may have done what he did.  Even if it seems like he was 'running away'.    

Did the PL initiate 'Break Contact' ??  if he did -- there's ANOTHER reason to go 'backwards'.   to get to a better more defensible position.  

appreciate your comments

View Quote

My understanding is that they were hit from above by three teams each with PKMs. He probably escaped only because he was lower on the hill. The guys actually in contact probably had their hands full. They probably would have wanted anyone who could escape to escape.  

He probably had a hard decision to make on going towards or away from the gunfire. If you go up you might help or you might show up and find you are the only one left against multiple teams with heavier weapons. If you go down you might escape but then you have to live with it forever.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:17:57 PM EDT
[#27]

I wasn’t disparaging him, I was using his quote to prove a point. According to his pilots in 214, the man was fearless, and a great pilot.
View Quote

I didn't take it that you were. But people are now questioning older events, and I was just adding my 2 cents. My perception of him was that he wasn't a bullshitter.

A lot of the guys from older generations understated themselves.

I have two pistols that are WW2 bring backs. The guy who brought them back told his wife on his death bed that he shot down a German plane in WW2. He told me stories, none of which built him up, they were just factual. He never told me about shooting down the plane, and my dad never told me that so I don't think he told my dad (his best friend) about it either. I did ask him how he obtained the pistols. He got them from a tanker in trade for a 1911. He could have built himself up by telling me he got them from a German he killed, but he didn't. I don't get the feeling he liked killing Germans all that much.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:32:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Andoverguns] [#28]
Having never been to the Pech District area of AFG, I can only go off of other peoples descriptions.

It sounds like an area that is a combo of Rocky Mountains mixed with areas similar to north central New Mexico.

Incredibly steep, rocky terrain, heavy timber at elevations between 9300'-7300'. A terrible place to try and fight, especially if you don't occupy the high ground.

If you where in a 4 man team, setup in your OP hide site, you would be somewhat spaced apart to begin with. Now throw in elevation changes between each individual persons location, mixed with trees, rocks, boulders etc. Once you received contact, from a location above your positions, where the enemy has not only the element of surprise, but also superior numbers and weapons........you would be ROYALLY SCREWED!

The only means of defense would be to fall back....(down the mountain) and attempt to break contact. If 50% of your force was killed in the initial stages of fire......(you and one other guy) are the only fighting force left. Of course its going to look like you are "running away".......but are you really?? You aren't fighting from a position of adequate defense, not in terms of available firepower or positional advantage. The enemy has the tactically superior position to plunge fire onto you as you try to break contact. To live...you have to get as much distance between yourself and them as fast as possible, while trying to make your way down some steep, slippery, shitty terrain. So it makes sense that in dealing with all that, you and your remaining teammate inevitably become separated. If you thought your remaining teammate (Axe) was shot and killed, now you have only yourself to provide any defense while trying to get away from the enemy while trying to stay alive.......

What would that look like from a Predator feed??

Would that mean you did anything wrong??

Did you "abandon" your team??

I just think people have a tendency to be incredibly critical of certain things without putting the details into proper perspective.

I don't know what really happened on that mountain, Marcus is the only person alive that went through it.

Certainly the "story" was a fabrication to cover up mistakes. Most of them made by the Teams leadership. Which is why the whole thing turned into a complete disaster.

That isn't a reflection of the men who died on the mission, and I don't believe it makes Marcus anything but very lucky to have lived through it.

Once he was rescued, he was basically along for the ride. NSW provided the storyline and Marcus had/has to play his part. It is basically his way of Honoring his fallen teammates and all of the other men who died on the QRF helicopter that got shot down.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:57:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Andoverguns:
Having never been to the Pech District area of AFG, I can only go off of other peoples descriptions.

It sounds like an area that is a combo of Rocky Mountains mixed with areas similar to north central New Mexico.

Incredibly steep, rocky terrain, heavy timber at elevations between 9300'-7300'. A terrible place to try and fight, especially if you don't occupy the high ground.

If you where in a 4 man team, setup in your OP hide site, you would be somewhat spaced apart to begin with. Now throw in elevation changes between each individual persons location, mixed with trees, rocks, boulders etc. Once you received contact, from a location above your positions, where the enemy has not only the element of surprise, but also superior numbers and weapons........you would be ROYALLY SCREWED!

The only means of defense would be to fall back....(down the mountain) and attempt to break contact. If 50% of your force was killed in the initial stages of fire......(you and one other guy) are the only fighting force left. Of course its going to look like you are "running away".......but are you really?? You aren't fighting from a position of adequate defense, not in terms of available firepower or positional advantage. The enemy has the tactically superior position to plunge fire onto you as you try to break contact. To live...you have to get as much distance between yourself and them as fast as possible, while trying to make your way down some steep, slippery, shitty terrain. So it makes sense that in dealing with all that, you and your remaining teammate inevitably become separated. If you thought your remaining teammate (Axe) was shot and killed, now you have only yourself to provide any defense while trying to get away from the enemy while trying to stay alive.......

What would that look like from a Predator feed??

Would that mean you did anything wrong??

Did you "abandon" your team??

I just think people have a tendency to be incredibly critical of certain things without putting the details into proper perspective.

I don't know what really happened on that mountain, Marcus is the only person alive that went through it.

Certainly the "story" was a fabrication to cover up mistakes. Most of them made by the Teams leadership. Which is why the whole thing turned into a complete disaster.

That isn't a reflection of the men who died on the mission, and I don't believe it makes Marcus anything but very lucky to have lived through it.

Once he was rescued, he was basically along for the ride. NSW provided the storyline and Marcus had/has to play his part. It is basically his way of Honoring his fallen teammates and all of the other men who died on the QRF helicopter that got shot down.
View Quote

Excellent post.

I agree on your analysis that it is likely that fleeing an unblocked ambush may have been the only viable option,
especially if your other team members are dead or separated and believed dead.

I have to disagree that signing off on what appears to at the very least be a flagrant exaggeration at best would be honoring your fallen comrades.

Also the allegation that Axel was found dead 10 days later, having transpired at or around day 8 after ML rescue would certainly call for some critizism of his actions post rescue
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:11:02 PM EDT
[#30]

GD is my only social media so I missed out on anything other than shitposting about it after the fact. My disdain for the Palin clan is what keeps the memory fresh.
View Quote

Congresswoman Peltola appreciates your support and helping her win in 2022.

Peltola  128,553
Palin       67,866
Begich    61,513
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:29:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By LeonardC:

Peltola  128,553
Palin       67,866
Begich    61,513
View All Quotes

Peltola  128,553
Palin       67,866
Begich    61,513

Alaskan politics affirmed my lifelong decision to never vote. I'm surprised I have a stroke listening to Dave Stieren driving home from JBER.

Originally Posted By fullmetaledges:
Neat. Post up Pat Tillmans Silver Star citation next. Come to think of it why was he awarded a Purple Heart? Oh yeah it’s because sometimes they make shit up.

If what Brad Jacobson said is true whomever ordered them to split the platoon to recover the truck should've had their shit pushed in.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:35:49 PM EDT
[#32]

When the Brits were in the Sudan they called 'em fuzzy wuzzies because of their afros. Why does everything have to suck now? I'm sure Marines could come up with something better than anti-coalition militia.
View Quote

In mission briefs and radio traffic they were ACM.

In firefights and other "non official" moments non-official nomenclature was utilized.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:03:37 PM EDT
[#33]

Alaskan politics affirmed my lifelong decision to never vote. I'm surprised I have a stroke listening to Dave Stieren driving home from JBER.

View Quote

Murkowski won the last election by 2015 votes.  Sad situation.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:28:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By LineOfDeparture:

In mission briefs and radio traffic they were ACM.

In firefights and other "non official" moments non-official nomenclature was utilized.
View Quote

In Iraq they were ACF (anti coalition forces) until somebody decided they should be AIF (anti Iraqi forces).

I am sure somebody got a defense distinguished service medal for the powerpoint explaining how much difference that change would make.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

I'll believe she won an election the day armadillos migrate to Healy.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:00:08 PM EDT
[#36]
What’s interesting, is they gave a MOH to Michael Murphy and made up a fake story when he got his men killed due to piss poor planning but they drug my friend Jon Brostrom through the mud after he was killed in the battle of Wanat legitimately fighting probably 50+ fighters with his platoon. Interesting how that works when it’s regular Army vs SEALs.

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:00:24 PM EDT
[#37]
The officers in charge of orchestrating these cover up's need to be courtmartialed

they did the same with Pat Tillman , they had the rangers towing around a Humvee

that had a broken axle and slowed them up unbelievably and the stupid orders they were given .
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:10:19 PM EDT
[#38]

I don't think that makes any sense in the context of a 4 man team engaging at least three 4 man teams centered on PKMs and also with RPGs. Particularly since the PKM teams had the positional advantage and likely surprise.
View Quote

It’s right up there with sovereign citizen logic.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:26:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By virgilc1984:

Excellent post.

I agree on your analysis that it is likely that fleeing an unblocked ambush may have been the only viable option,
especially if your other team members are dead or separated and believed dead.

I have to disagree that signing off on what appears to at the very least be a flagrant exaggeration at best would be honoring your fallen comrades.

Also the allegation that Axel was found dead 10 days later, having transpired at or around day 8 after ML rescue would certainly call for some critizism of his actions post rescue
View Quote

I believe Marcus felt at the time that is what he would be doing by agreeing to run with the narrative created for him .......Personally, I don't believe that to be true, but we have the gift of hindsight.

The Axe thing I have never heard about until this guy brought it up on that podcast. I sure hope that isn't accurate. It would make no sense for Marcus to withhold the rally point information from the people doing the search and recovery. Even if you "thought" Axe was dead, you would still give the info so they could check that location first and work out from there.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:49:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:

I think three PKM's are more fordable than a polar bear and nobody is going to advocate charging uphill at a trio of them with an SPR after they gobble up three of your friends.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:51:47 PM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes

LOL.  

Ain’t no medicine in a gunfight.

I believe that was even covered in the movie….
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:12:31 PM EDT
[#42]

LOL.  

View Quote

Which is why his Navy Cross is bs along with Murphy's MOH.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:20:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By 80sgyrene:.

View Quote

Holy fuck you can’t even imagine how fucked up those two are.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:20:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:

View Quote

There's some videos from Ukraine of them self applying TQs in gunfights. Also one where a guy jumping off an APC hit a mine, lost his leg, and quickly applied TQ.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:26:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Brundoggie:

View Quote

That is going to ruffle some feathers
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:30:19 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

It shouldn't, even if the bullshit story is believed Murphy's actions aren't MOH worthy.  Dude gets killed while supposedly yacking on a SATPHONE doesn't merit an MOH.

But Navy gotta have them some heros.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:18:14 PM EDT
[#47]

...if there was a pred feed, how did they lose axe for 8 days?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:07:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Usernames:

...if there was a pred feed, how did they lose axe for 8 days?
View Quote

Yeah.  What's the source on this claim?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:43:51 AM EDT
[#49]

It shouldn't, even if the bullshit story is believed Murphy's actions aren't MOH worthy.  Dude gets killed while supposedly yacking on a SATPHONE doesn't merit an MOH.

But Navy gotta have them some heros.
View Quote

What they did to Chapmans MoH candidacy was horrible. In fact, SrA Jason Cunningham who got killed in the same battle as Chapman as a PJ is wholly deserving of the MoH as well. What he did that day to save countless lives and gave his up is exactly what the MoH is for. He needs to be upgraded.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:34:15 AM EDT
[#50]

There's some videos from Ukraine of them self applying TQs in gunfights. Also one where a guy jumping off an APC hit a mine, lost his leg, and quickly applied TQ.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:

Nothing more than self-aid in a gunfight, and that needs to be limited to something like a TQ so you don’t bleed out. Better?
Page / 6
Lone survivor revisited (Page 5 of 6)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top