Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/28/2024 3:21:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StevenH]
https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-government/police-are-using-michigans-red-flag-law-confiscate-guns-heres-how

So far, at least, none of those worst-case predictions about the law have come true, Bob Stevenson, executive director of the Michigan Association of Chiefs of Police, told Bridge Michigan.

While it’s been less than two months since implementation, he said it’s his understanding that fewer than 40 extreme risk protection orders had been served statewide as of March 22. In each case, police successfully confiscated the weapons without any significant problems, he said.

“I think, in all, it’s probably gone about as well as could be expected,” Stevenson said.

Bob Stevenson sounds like a cunt
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:22:50 PM EDT
[#1]
"working as intended"

Yeah. It is. To disarm us.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:25:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By macman37:
"working as intended"

Yeah. It is. To disarm us.
View Quote

Crazy that a roommate or any family member can disarm you for a year. Don’t talk politics at family gatherings.

A buddy of mine with class 3 stuff stopped going to marital counseling out of fear of this law.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:25:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Good thing our state GoP picked the right hills to die on. Totally worth surrendering the state government for lost causes.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:29:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Until they start getting significant problems disarming people, this will continue.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:30:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By StevenH:

Crazy that a roommate or any family member can disarm you for a year. Don’t talk politics at family gatherings.

A buddy of mine with class 3 stuff stopped going to marital counseling out of fear of this law.
View Quote

And what happens when people stop taking medications for anxiety and stress because they are also used for depression?

What happens when people stop going to voluntary psychological services out of red flag law fear?

How long before the state subpoenas lists of patients taking Celexa, Lexapro, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Venlafaxine, etc. and red flag those people?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:40:49 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

How many people will avoid going to a therapist because of this law?
The thing it is supposedly in place to help will be worsened.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:44:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Just checked the local outlets. Yeah. This is being spammed all over the local media.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:47:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Just checked the local outlets. Yeah. This is being spammed all over the local media.
View Quote

Nationally as well. There's a concerted effort to push how incredible and useful BS laws like this are.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:49:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Michigan lacks an effective gun rights organization. There’s no FPC equivalent in Michigan.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:51:42 PM EDT
[#10]
https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-government/police-are-using-michigans-red-flag-law-confiscate-guns-heres-how

“I think, in all, it’s probably gone about as well as could be expected,” Stevenson said.

View Quote

Translation: We haven't had to kill anyone who was resisting our efforts to make them less dangerous.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:00:13 PM EDT
[#11]
The nation’s first anti-red flag gun law is now on the books in Oklahoma to strengthen and protect citizens’ Second Amendment rights. Sen. Nathan Dahm, R-Broken Arrow, authored the measure, which was signed into law by the governor on Tuesday.

Senate Bill 1081, also known as the Anti-Red Flag Act, prohibits the state or any city, county or political subdivision from enacting red flag laws. It also prohibits the acceptance of any grants or funding to enact red flag laws.

Michigan can eat shit
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:13:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By CTYC313:
Good thing our state GoP picked the right hills to die on. Totally worth surrendering the state government for lost causes.
View Quote

Surrendering implies they were fighting to begin with. They weren't. What they did to Tudor Dixon in the last election should have proven that we have a one party system in the state.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:46:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Ronin72:

Surrendering implies they were fighting to begin with. They weren't. What they did to Tudor Dixon in the last election should have proven that we have a one party system in the state.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Tudor Dixon, who shouldn't have even been on the ballot...

we have GOT to fix our open primaries. We've been getting steadily screwed by the lefties on that for the last, what four Gov elections at least?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:49:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ronin72] [#14]

we have GOT to fix our open primaries. We've been getting steadily screwed by the lefties on that for the last, what four Gov elections at least?
View All Quotes

Whether you liked her or not, it was what we had. The state GOP did NOTHING to support her. I didn't see signs with her name on it until 3 or 4 weeks before the election.

I will definitely agree on the open primaries, but even if they are fixed, the states GOP has already proven they are selective on who they will support. I am thinking the only way we are going to REALLY fix the problem is with a viable third party.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:51:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Surely there are penalties for using false reporting (Swatting) as a weapon... Surely.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:58:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:01:35 PM EDT
[#17]
They'll never beat Florida at that rate.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:06:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By opnblstr:

And what happens when people stop taking medications for anxiety and stress because they are also used for depression?

What happens when people stop going to voluntary psychological services out of red flag law fear?

How long before the state subpoenas lists of patients taking Celexa, Lexapro, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Venlafaxine, etc. and red flag those people?
View Quote

All of those things have been happening in the veteran community because of VA reporting requirements.  The same will happen to the rest of us now.  Unintended consequences (or are they).
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:12:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Because criminals and tyrannical tyrants can’t steal what they can’t find. Putting all your eggs in one basket has never been a good idea, especially now.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:12:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ringsting] [#20]
I remember reading a few days ago in one other political thread, that one arfcom member stated that he was going to start voting demonrat just so we can go ahead and get the inevitable moving along.  

I may have misread or misinterpreted what he wrote, (which would not be the first time, nor will it be the last), but I have been thinking about it.  And he definitely makes a good point.  

Or...do we just need to vote harder?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:12:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Bet boating accidents are going up too.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:14:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta] [#22]
Originally Posted By DDDDCheapAF:
Until they start getting significant problems disarming people, when they violate the constitution this will continue.
View Quote

Because it’s not just gun ownership in danger, it’s  every single freedom and every single activity, down to how expensive your electricity , food and fuel and taxes are.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:20:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Whether you liked her or not, it was what we had. The state GOP did NOTHING to support her. I didn't see signs with her name on it until 3 or 4 weeks before the election.

I will definitely agree on the open primaries, but even if they are fixed, the states GOP has already proven they are selective on who they will support. I am thinking the only way we are going to REALLY fix the problem is with a viable third party.
View All Quotes

Agree. And it's not like I didn't like Tudor... but she was in a perfect storm. In order, Roe V Wade gets overturned, the lefties cross the party lines and make sure Tudor's the nominee, and it's a slam dunk reelection for the worst democrat governor in recent memory. And all Whitless had to run on was "women's rights".
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:43:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Michigan lacks an effective gun rights organization. There’s no FPC equivalent in Michigan.
View Quote

Great Lakes Gun Rights
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:54:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Racer_X:

Great Lakes Gun Rights
View All Quotes

Great Lakes Gun Rights

I said effective. That’s means filing lawsuits, seeking preliminary injunctions before laws take effect, not just fund raising.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:56:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tsg68] [#26]
40 too many.

They should just call them Red Coat laws…
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:59:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Extorris:
View Quote

I thought about how DeSantis might feel about repealing it.  But he wouldn't.

Imagine repealing it and then there is a mass shooting.  Fuckers will come crawling out of the woodwork in droves to claim they wanted to say something but without the red flag law they didn't think it would do any good.

And the left will lay the blame on the politicians who worked to repeal it.

Red flag laws have to be stopped before they are implemented, because that shit is NEVER going away once you have it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:03:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Ringsting:
I remember reading a few days ago in one other political thread, that one arfcom member stated that he was going to start voting demonrat just so we can go ahead and get the inevitable moving along.  

I may have misread or misinterpreted what he wrote, (which would not be the first time, nor will it be the last), but I have been thinking about it.  And he definitely makes a good point.  

View Quote

I was either born too early or too late.

I'm young enough that the shit will go down during my lifetime, but probably too old to survive it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:07:14 AM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

My government teacher in high school (over 20 years ago) bragged in class about how Democrats organized to screw with GOP primary elections.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:08:19 AM EDT
[#30]
So unconstitutional.  Pre-crime and consequences w/out prior conviction.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:10:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Ringsting:

View Quote

The problem with rolling the dice with "the inevitable" is that there is no guarantee who would win. (hint: nobody, except for maybe China)
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:14:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Until the Michigan constitution is fixed, meaning the redistricting committee is removed, absentee ballots are fixed, mail in ballots are banned, primaries are closed, and our constitutional amendment process is replaced; this state is lost.

Raging about the worthless MI GOP is a strategy, but it hasn’t helped us in the last 40 years. Until the root cause of our troubles is resolved, Michigan is gone.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:26:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By DB0351:
Until the Michigan constitution is fixed, meaning the redistricting committee is removed, absentee ballots are fixed, mail in ballots are banned, primaries are closed, and our constitutional amendment process is replaced; this state is lost.

Raging about the worthless MI GOP is a strategy, but it hasn't helped us in the last 40 years. Until the root cause of our troubles is resolved, Michigan is gone.
View Quote
You can't fix those things without a viable Republican party or viable third party in Michigan.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:31:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Extorris:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:33:51 AM EDT
[#35]
police successfully confiscated the weapons without any significant problems.

Confiscation without due process is a pretty goddamned significant problem.  I’ll go out on a limb and say this Bob Stevenson character is a lying sack of shit.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:37:49 AM EDT
[#36]
I’m so glad I left that shithole state but unfortunately I moved to another shithole state.  But at least it’s not cold.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:51:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By madmathew:
You can't fix those things without a viable Republican party or viable third party in Michigan.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By madmathew:
Originally Posted By DB0351:

Raging about the worthless MI GOP is a strategy, but it hasn't helped us in the last 40 years. Until the root cause of our troubles is resolved, Michigan is gone.

Except it doesn’t require either. That’s the entire problem. The direct voting of constitutional amendments is how we got here. As much as I hate them, the democrat party didn’t do this. The shit heel voters did. The problems can’t be fixed even if every single elected official in the state was an R.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:06:59 AM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

What hills/causes did they pick? I assume something really retarded @CTYC313
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:28:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Just move to a free state!!!!!1
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:15:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Dont worry guys. Most cops are pro 2A and would never enforce these types of laws. I know the sheriff of my tiny county in the middle of nowhere would never enforce a red flag law.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:22:05 AM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes

It’s not the GOPs fault that republican voters nominated an awful candidate. The state GOP might be completely incompetent, but that’s not what lost the election. Nominating an awful fucking candidate lost the election. The only people to blame are the people who supported her in the primary.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:26:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By tsg68:
40 too many.

They should just call them Red Coat laws…
View Quote

More like Red Star.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:27:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Dagoth-Ur:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dagoth-Ur:

No abortion in any scenario. She repeatedly stated that kids who get raped by their uncle should not be allowed to get an abortion, along with some wacky shit about how having the child would promote healing or whatever. Turns out that shockingly, the vast majority of Americans don’t agree.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:00:40 AM EDT
[#44]
That's 36 people who should be suing the law as unconstitutional.  They have standing.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:01:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By MartinSsempa:
Dont worry guys. Most cops are pro 2A and would never enforce these types of laws. I know the sheriff of my tiny county in the middle of nowhere would never enforce a red flag law.
View Quote

You serious Clark?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:06:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Extorris] [#46]
View Quote

He must be "a big Second Amendment guy" like Sheriff Grady Judd.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:08:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By RebelBoxer:

You serious Clark?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RebelBoxer:

You serious Clark?

I read that as dripping with sarcasm.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:20:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Stlrain0341:

It’s not the GOPs fault that republican voters nominated an awful candidate. The state GOP might be completely incompetent, but that’s not what lost the election. Nominating an awful fucking candidate lost the election. The only people to blame are the people who supported her in the primary.
View All Quotes

Except it wasn’t Republican voters that nominated the unelectable candidate.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:34:03 AM EDT
[#49]

How many people will avoid going to a therapist because of this law?
The thing it is supposedly in place to help will be worsened.
View Quote
Maybe they'll shoot therapists with the guns the cops didn't find and everything will work out in the end?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:03:44 AM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

I’d love to be wrong so please share sources, but I dont think I’ve seen anything to suggest that. She won almost 2-1 over the next closest candidate in the primary.

Polling consistently showed she was leading for the most part of the primary. Trump endorsed her. She certainly had some vocal support here. I don’t doubt she got support from democrats, but I don’t think they swung the race by 200k+ votes.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top