Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/25/2024 7:56:54 PM EDT
TPD conducting internal investigation into arrest of man whose license plates were misread by reader

A Black Ohio man said he is "traumatized" after police released a K-9 on him during a traffic stop during an investigation of a vehicle that was mistakenly believed to have been stolen, body camera footage shows.

The Toledo branch of the NAACP this week called the release of the police dog "unwarranted" and "inhumane."

Brandon Upchurch, 38, of Toledo, told ABC News he was bitten seven times on his forearm and elbow by the K-9 after being pulled over on April 11 and has been unable to work since.

Upchurch said he was driving his cousin home from work when officers pulled him over.

"They instantly came out with the guns drawn," he said. "They did not come to my car and ask me for license, insurance, etc., anything."

Upchurch was pulled over on suspicion of a stolen vehicle, body camera footage released by the Toledo Police Department shows. Police repeatedly ask him to get out of the vehicle, as Upchurch can be heard on the footage asking why they pulled him over.

Once he steps out of the truck, officers order him to face away from them, Upchurch repeatedly asks, "What am I stopped for?" Officers order him to get on the ground several times. As Upchurch takes several steps away from the curb and begins to kneel, an officer releases the K-9 on him, the footage shows.

"Man, I'm not even doing nothing," Upchurch says in the footage, then repeatedly asks the officers, "What did I do?"

While handcuffing Upchurch, an officer told him the truck had a stolen license plate, which Upchurch repeatedly denied.

After Upchurch requests medical attention, an officer tells him "That's coming." After walking away, the officer tells a colleague that Upchurch was a "petulant child" for requesting medical attention.

Following Upchurch's arrest, officers can be heard on the footage realizing that the information they had on the license plate was incorrect and was a "mishit" or "misread" by the license plate reader and that the license plate on the vehicle Upchurch was driving was not a match for the plate on the alleged stolen vehicle.

"Now I know it's not the plate," the officer says.

Upchurch told ABC News he wasn't a threat or trying to run.

"This is uncalled for over a stolen tag," Upchurch said. "All they had to do was run the plates again and found out it wasn't stolen."

"I have license, insurance, everything is clean with me," he said. "He even said it on his body cam that he messed up."

Upchurch was charged with resisting arrest and obstruction. The complaint alleged that he ignored "multiple commands" from officers while they investigated a stolen vehicle and "refused to comply throughout the entirety of the event."

ABC News has reached out to the Toledo Police Department and the Lucas County Prosecutor's Office for comment.
View Quote

https://abcnews.go.com/US/man-speaks-after-police-release-9-traffic-stop/story?id=109463145
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:59:37 PM EDT
[#1]
In for this shit show
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:00:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Obstruction and Resisting....
nice

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:01:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Protecting and servings.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:03:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Completely justified....for a nice payday.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:04:00 PM EDT
[#5]
If we have a few more of these, we can have some BLM riots and that will distract the media from the kill the Jews riots. I’m sure every Democrat in the country is praying for that right now. It’s not like they care about Black people.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:04:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:04:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Charged with obstruction and resisting arrest. Classy.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:05:47 PM EDT
[#8]
In on one!
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:06:28 PM EDT
[#9]
id take that ride for the money.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:09:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BillyDBerger:
View Quote

right! I'd even let the dog bite a pinky off.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:10:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I understand mistakes happen.  I have a harder time understanding why after a mistake is made and has been acknowledged, one would chose to double down on that mistake.

Perhaps a Dale Carnegie book would help them.  "How to win friends and influence people" would be a good start.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:14:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Holy shit they still arrested him after realizing and admitting they messed up? dumbasses should be fired.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:16:08 PM EDT
[#13]
There's the good, legitimate things cops do in their lines  of work, then some do stuff like this.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:18:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Haha! was gonna post this!  I wish Al would come out of retirement with a new sweatsuit and bull horn!

Just for the entertainment value alone!
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:23:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: delemorte] [#15]
Originally Posted By Domnior:
Holy shit they still arrested him after realizing and admitting they messed up? dumbasses should be fired.
View Quote

You misspelled charged with assault and jailed.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:24:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:26:53 PM EDT
[#17]
@lawyerup
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:29:24 PM EDT
[#18]
These tiny dick bitches still charged him. I guess he didnt respect their authority.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:30:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:33:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Just an isolated incident
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:33:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By delemorte:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By delemorte:

After they knew better it's close to kidnapping.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:35:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:36:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scratch45] [#23]
I understand them coming in extra serious about the supposedly stolen plate.

When pulled over, obey the police commands, which the suspect did not.  That is how you get bit by K9 or thrown down and cuffed.

But still B.S. charging them with rwsisti g arrest obstruction though.   I guess cops gotta teach a lesson about following their commands...

Dog bites should have been enough of a lesson.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:37:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Scratch45:

When pulled over, obey the police commands, which the suspect did not.

B.S. charging them with rwsisti g arrest obstruction though.   I guess cops gotta teach a lesson about following their commands...
View Quote
Fuck that; I'm tryin' to get paid.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:39:13 PM EDT
[#25]
he will be get a new Raptor truck shortly courtesy of the tax payers
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:41:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: linuxgnar] [#26]
Originally Posted By smashedminer:

View Quote

It IS kidnapping. What a fucking disgrace the boys in blue have become.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:42:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By linuxgnar:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By linuxgnar:
Originally Posted By smashedminer:

Aggravated kidnapping since they displayed weapons.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:43:37 PM EDT
[#28]
There's no deductible, and braces are included in the plan!
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:45:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Lol Ohio.

I’m so glad my six years stuck up there ended in 2008.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:49:57 PM EDT
[#30]
One of the downsides about ALPR is it can get false reads especially with different states. It can’t figure out the state names on the plates since those aren’t made to be seen according to traffic codes.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:52:11 PM EDT
[#31]
In before the inevitable thread slide by the resident le bomb throwers. They're never not entertaining.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:53:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By OKnativeson:
Obstruction and Resisting....
nice
View Quote

+1

They should have thrown in "terroristic threats" as well. Why not, right? As long as we're making shit up....
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:53:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:53:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By TexanInOhio4:
Lol Ohio.

View Quote

It happened in Toledo. That's South Detroit Michigan.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:55:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Paul] [#35]
I wonder how deep the insurance policy for the plate reader company is?

The OPLive crew have seen this a hundred times. Watch the body camera footage for the truth but typically the person being stopped wants to conduct trial on the side of the road through an open window. The judges have one hell of a union and would destroy any officer that got caught wearing robes out on the street. So the person who is refusing to ID or get out of the car - a deadly weapon - asks twenty times the same question. The officer trying to conduct the traffic stop has an approved standard operating procedure that the department follows. License, insurance, and registration sir.

Low IQ drivers often think the officer knows things that they couldn't possibly know.

Navy Shore Patrol had a policy too. We had to ask for an ID card three times before we could go hands/sticks on.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:56:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Scratch45:

When pulled over, obey the police commands, which the suspect did not.  That is how you get bit by K9 or thrown down and cuffed.

But still B.S. charging them with rwsisti g arrest obstruction though.   I guess cops gotta teach a lesson about following their commands...

Dog bites should have been enough of a lesson.
View Quote
How about no.

if you have the power to detain, arrest and even use lethal force you have the absolute responsibility to double check your information before doing any of the above.

the moment force is used of freedom is removed, if you fucked up you should lose it all.

and before anyone says " you never done the job" or any of that shit.. the guy pulled over and the officer had all the time in the world to double check before escalating to a felony stop with weapons drawn.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:57:47 PM EDT
[#37]
But muH TbL
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:58:35 PM EDT
[#38]
So, after the arrest they took a closer look at the license plate and determined it was not the one they were looking for? Seems like something they should have done much sooner. But then I guess the puppy doesn't get chew toy practice.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:00:34 PM EDT
[#39]
i’m sure it’s just another license plate typo.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:02:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Prosecutor will probably decline to charge.  No way they can get a conviction in Lucas County with that video and facts.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:03:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Seems he is a Black Ohio man.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:05:10 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

No they should be prosecuted.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:05:12 PM EDT
[#43]
The arrest will get quashed since the stop was not legitimate.  Guy is gonna get paid
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:05:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Readers are great.  But it's still "Trust, but verify." when dealing with any technology that is telling you to do something like a felony stop.  

And then you have the motorist.  He obviously did not want to do anything but argue.  And when he started to walk away and turn, well, ride the bull and get the horn.  

Lastly, the police officers.  While I don't have enough body cam footage from that news cast, it doesn't look good.  Haste makes waste on a lot of stops.  But again, all we got to see was the spicy part of the stop and not what led up to that moment.  I'm betting there was a lot of yelling and conflicting instructions, oh, and a barking dog.  

Motorist is gonna get paid.  Not a lot, but he's getting paid.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:06:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Lib shit hole. Dude will be set for life. Doesn’t anybody double check license numbers? FFS. Buffoon cops.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:07:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By sentionaut:

right! I'd even let the dog bite a pinky off.
View Quote

wow. sounds like you’re approving what occurred.

i’m sure you wouldn’t have the same response if you were the one bit, got an infection, and hand amputated after 3 surgeries.

let’s also not forget the medical bills you’d receive.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:09:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Paul:
Low IQ drivers often think the officer knows things that they couldn't possibly know.

View Quote

You think the officers don't know why they pulled the innocent guy over?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:10:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By BillyDBerger:
View Quote

Well, he won’t beat the ride, but he will beat the rap.

Plus, after the chicken-shit misdemeanors are dismissed,  he’ll either get a big settlement from the City or a way bigger verdict from the jury.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:11:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:14:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By TexanInOhio4:
Lol Ohio.

View Quote

Shithole state
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top