BCM
User Panel

Pennsylvania (Page 11 of 67)
Page / 67
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 1:52:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MrBear10mm:

Jeannette, Clairton, Duquesne, McKeesport, and Monessen should be on that list, just to name a few.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MrBear10mm:
Originally Posted By Phillgui:
Originally Posted By Dsparil:
Originally Posted By R2point0:
Originally Posted By doc_Zox:
well, it's at least entertaining click bait...

After analyzing 258 of the state’s most populous cities (over 5,000 people), we came up with this list as the 10 worst places to live in the state of Pennsylvania:

1. New Castle
  2. Nanticoke
  3. Johnstown
  4. Wilkes-Barre
  5. Shenandoah
  6. Corry
  7. Hazleton
  8. Dickson City
  9. Tamaqua
  10. Chester

I'm headng to Johnstown today
http://www.roadsnacks.net/these-are-the-10-worst-places-to-live-in-pennsylvania/

No Susquehanna?

Hazleton is an absolute shit hole. That and a Pocono Country Place is equally bad. Nothing but gangs.

So the most dangerous city in America ( per capita) is the tenth worst city in PA?

Jeannette, Clairton, Duquesne, McKeesport, and Monessen should be on that list, just to name a few.

Here in AZ I work with a guy from McKeesport.   I'm Union county folk myself
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 8:41:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Keystone10mm:
I've heard about shooting on Burma Road quite a bit. What's it all about? A huge tract of stripmine?
View Quote

The "pit" was literally an unofficial range right next to the road.

Burma road is a mix of state land and mines.  The land goes for miles and miles.  Tons upon tons of trails.  It's a HUGE spot for offroading, dirtbikes, trucks, etc.  You could literally ride/drive a solid day and never be covering the same ground.  The very few active mines tend to not give a shit.  Every few years the county gets a stick up their ass and tries shutting it down.  Ten years ago, Burma road was lined with 100 trucks/trailers on a weekend.  The neat thing is, despite all the people, you'd rarely see anyone.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 8:00:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By SDMF_Rebel:

Burma road is a mix of state land and mines.  The land goes for miles and miles.  Tons upon tons of trails.  It's a HUGE spot for offroading, dirtbikes, trucks, etc.  You could literally ride/drive a solid day and never be covering the same ground.  The very few active mines tend to not give a shit.  Every few years the county gets a stick up their ass and tries shutting it down.  Ten years ago, Burma road was lined with 100 trucks/trailers on a weekend.  The neat thing is, despite all the people, you'd rarely see anyone.
View All Quotes
I've heard about shooting on Burma Road quite a bit. What's it all about? A huge tract of stripmine?

Damn that sounds great. I didn't think there was that much undeveloped land in one place, in that part of the state.

I'm from southwest PA and we got a lot of areas like that, but not as big and quite a few are posted now.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 10:36:59 AM EDT
[#4]

Damn that sounds great. I didn't think there was that much undeveloped land in one place, in that part of the state.

I'm from southwest PA and we got a lot of areas like that, but not as big and quite a few are posted now.
View All Quotes

Agreed- SE here and I LONG for a place to take my dual sport.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:46:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Into_the_Void] [#5]

View All Quotes

Go up 61, go through Pottsville, hit St. Clair, turn right on West Hancock (turns into Burma) at traffic light, if you see walmart, you passed the turn.  Drive a mile; take any dirt road on right.  Have fun.  Don't get too lost!

If you go on a weekend, you'll see all the trailers.

Seriously, be fucking careful if you go.

Edit - Fuck it, if you see Wal-mart, climb the hill behind Home Depot
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 12:26:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Go up 61, go through Pottsville, hit St. Clair, turn right on West Hancock (turns into Burma) at traffic light, if you see walmart, you passed the turn.  Drive a mile; take any dirt road on right.  Have fun.  Don't get too lost!

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 1/22/2016 6:13:24 PM EDT
[#7]
It's snowing outside.

SO far I've about enough snow on the ground to clean away with a broom.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 6:19:38 PM EDT
[#8]

View All Quotes

The rule of Burma is not to talk about Burma
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 11:10:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By GiggleSmith:
It's snowing outside.

SO far I've about enough snow on the ground to clean away with a broom.
View Quote

There's been a bit more here, enough to tromp through from accumulation before and the current snowing tonight.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 11:15:34 PM EDT
[#10]
About 2 inches so far.
I think

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 5:19:17 AM EDT
[#11]
It's built up to about 4 inches or so on the ground since it first started snowing a couple of weeks ago, looks like the storm is going to miss me here and they're predicting 1-4 inches between now and Tuesday. So it could be a lot worse, especially since last year at this time I was living in a town down in a valley, now I'm living about halfway up the side of a mountain.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 5:21:54 AM EDT
[#12]
12" -- Westmoreland Co -- as of this post
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 5:36:52 AM EDT
[#13]
~ 6" here, roughly 60-90 min north-east of Filthy
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 3:00:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By glocke12:

~ 6" here, roughly 60-90 min north-east of Filthy
View Quote

Roughly same SE in Delco, 10 min from Wilmington.

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 3:11:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GiggleSmith] [#15]
My back door taken at about 1:20 PM today.  There is easily double that in the backyard:
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 3:14:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't have as much as a lot of other places, roads were bad this morning but they're clear now.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 3:15:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Broke down and bought a snow blower at Lowes this morning. Fifteen inches total
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 4:25:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Missed us by 40 miles. We got nothing.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 4:50:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GiggleSmith] [#19]
Originally Posted By SGStiles:
Don't have as much as a lot of other places, roads were bad this morning but they're clear now.
View Quote
No plows have been around me.

The last few times I shoveled snow I could hear them in the distance.

$5.00 says this is what happened:

g]
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 5:41:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GiggleSmith] [#20]
24 hours of snowfall and counting.
12 Inch ruler, about 4 more inches on the glass and an estimated 5 more inches behind it.

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 5:50:54 PM EDT
[#21]
i have no idea how deep it is now...shoveled twice...gotta be about 20"

has anyone in PA lost power ?
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 11:29:36 PM EDT
[#22]
It FINALLY stopped snowing around 9:45 PM in my AO.

Where PenDoT has their trucks and Other assorted driving conditions

There's something I'd like to know:

I used to have a friend that worked for the BIS section of PennDot (RIP a few years ago) .  As such he was a Critical Staff Member.  If he had problems getting to work because of weather the State Police would help him Get to work.  Really.  I once saw the Official Paperwork once.

But what I'd really like to know: What happens when he is finally released and tries to get home?  How much help would the State Troopers give somebody like that?
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 11:49:17 PM EDT
[#23]
No new snow at all today here, it was cold as hell and it's clear as a bell out tonight. Which is a definite reversal from most winter storms where we're the ones getting it all up here in the hill country/Lake Effect bands.

Drive safe all you guys down there where it got slammed.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 11:52:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Fulminata:
No new snow at all today here, it was cold as hell and it's clear as a bell out tonight. Which is a definite reversal from most winter storms where we're the ones getting it all up here in the hill country/Lake Effect bands.

View Quote

We got a little bit and then it was done. No slammage for us either.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 11:53:58 PM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes

Go slap the groundhog around a little bit, just because.

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 12:01:22 AM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

I think about killing it quite often.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 12:12:48 AM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

When I was in HS in the '80s sometime during the week before the DuBois-Punxsey homecoming football game the rat went missing for a few days and everyone in Punxsey tried to blame the DuBois for it, here some guy just left the cage unlocked or something, but it caused some minor drama. If we had actually kidnapped him, he woulda been sleeping with the fishes in Treasure Lake because the winter before he'd lied about an early spring...as usual.

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 12:16:49 AM EDT
[#28]

When I was in HS in the '80s sometime during the week before the DuBois-Punxsey homecoming football game the rat went missing for a few days and everyone in Punxsey tried to blame the DuBois for it, here some guy just left the cage unlocked or something, but it caused some minor drama. If we had actually kidnapped him, he woulda been sleeping with the fishes in Treasure Lake because the winter before he'd lied about an early spring...as usual.

View All Quotes

Little bastard is never right.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 9:35:07 AM EDT
[#29]
We got about 16 inches.

Could have been worse...didn't lose power like we usually do.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 12:55:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By primuspilum:
We got about 16 inches.

View Quote

There's still time.  Ever see what an out of control snow plow can do to a pole?
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 2:38:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Western PA here.  Sunny, no snow on the ground, hasn't snowed in days.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 4:38:11 PM EDT
[#32]
The snow plow Has Finally Arrived!

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 4:56:37 PM EDT
[#33]
We got 30 inches just south of Seven Springs.  Finished digging out the drive just now.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 5:01:21 PM EDT
[#34]
2 feet in HBG.  Still waiting for the plow

He's been once but only plowed one lane.  He's gonna come back at some point and leave another mountain across the driveway
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 5:29:20 PM EDT
[#35]

There's still time.  Ever see what an out of control snow plow can do to a pole?
View All Quotes

We got about 16 inches.

Or even a car for that matter, ten days or so ago out on the main road a couple miles away from me someone in an SUV slammed into a pole, power was out for about 5 hours. Of course it happened right after sundown, on the coldest day here to that point. Thankfully I have a generator too, but ever since I moved out to the country last year I never take for granted the power always being on because there are a lot of different ways for it to not be on, especially when you really need it to be on.

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 8:15:01 PM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

We got about 16 inches.

Our driveway guy just plowed.

I spend about an hour per car digging a lane out.

And he rolled by and created an ice berm.

Rage.  

Had to do another 20min per car.

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 11:22:14 PM EDT
[#37]

Rage.  

View All Quotes
We got about 16 inches.

Rage.  

I spent about 2 and a half hours digging out.  First the heap of plowed snow into the driveway, then along where some plowed snow overflew into the sidewalk.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 1:54:10 AM EDT
[#38]

Rage.  

View All Quotes
We got about 16 inches.

Rage.  

We've all done it so only Southerners can't laugh.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 4:17:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Here are a couple of pics from Ridley Creek SP today.

Link Posted: 1/25/2016 4:51:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By omar:

I grew up there and know that area well.

There used to be a large drag line operating in various locations along the Burma Road in the 60/70s.

I don't recall the Frackville Mall ever being fully occupied in those years.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By omar:
We need more videos like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zd6FieFHn4

I grew up there and know that area well.

There used to be a large drag line operating in various locations along the Burma Road in the 60/70s.

I don't recall the Frackville Mall ever being fully occupied in those years.

That place is dead, seriously think that the Theatre and Kmart are still open, but that is it.

I dated a girl from Frackville for a year or so.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:58:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: salsa] [#41]
Huh. I am from Pa. and live in Florida. Not sure what that says about myself. I relate to everything in that video.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 11:45:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By ArmedSerenity:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ArmedSerenity:

Is it still as popular as it was?  I haven't been up in years since getting rid of my offroad toys, having kids, etc. So many good memories up there.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 12:00:31 PM EDT
[#43]

Back in the 80s, i spent several weeks at Ridley working on the colonial farmsite
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 12:06:59 PM EDT
[#44]

Back in the 80s, i spent several weeks at Ridley working on the colonial farmsite
View All Quotes

I haven't been yet (waiting to take my nephew when he visits). I am in the park all the time though. A true treasure of DelCo.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 7:59:49 PM EDT
[#45]
We need Opie to visit us.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 1:58:24 PM EDT
[#46]
We need Opie to visit us.
View Quote

I'm not even sure where he's at anymore but some day I was thinking of doing something similar.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:28:48 PM EDT
[#47]
I don't know about anybody else, but I'm enjoying the fact that I got rained on today and not snowed on.
View Quote

I just took the dog out while wearing just a t-shirt and jeans on December 23rd.

Although I do fear that come February we're gonna get our comeuppance.

View Quote

By any chance do you have a clue to what the next Powerball numbers will be

15° as I type this.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:11:47 PM EDT
[#48]

15° as I type this.

http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/PA/Harrisburg.gif
View All Quotes

I don't know about anybody else, but I'm enjoying the fact that I got rained on today and not snowed on.

I just took the dog out while wearing just a t-shirt and jeans on December 23rd.

Although I do fear that come February we're gonna get our comeuppance.

15° as I type this.

http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/PA/Harrisburg.gif

I hate being right sometimes.

I wish I did, if I won I'd invest in a Halliburton Weather Control Machine and I'd flip our weather with Florida's...just 'cause.

It's 2° here right now, with the wind chill -15°.

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 9:43:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Snow and Ice on the way for tomorrow... and to think I might actually get a long weekend off.   Spent most of yesterday plowing drifts and keeping roads open.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 6:40:33 PM EDT
[#50]
The Groundhogs Lied!

34º as I type this
Page / 67
Pennsylvania (Page 11 of 67)
Top Top