Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2023 1:02:57 PM EDT
I always see the advice given "Buy a bigger old lathe, possibly with extras for a little more"  Im trying to do just that instead of buying mini chinese stuff. Im a complete noob and just learning, with a tight budget of $1500 tops to start.

Been watching a while and unfortunately not many deals to be had. Found a guy with an old Logan lathe he wants to sell. I dont have any detail on it and he seemingly has no knowledge on it. Pics aren't great, working with what I got.

Looking to see if you guys could let me know what you see and what you would value something like this at.

I appreciate the help.

Link Posted: 12/27/2023 2:13:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I like it. Would be a great project to restore. I see it comes with a 3 and 4-jaw chuck, steady rest, milling attachment and the tail stock is there. I would not buy it thinking it is ready to run, it will likely need attention. The best policy is to inspect in person if you can.
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 2:38:34 PM EDT
[#2]
No quick change gear box will suck, but not the end of the world given your budget. I would make sure that it comes with all of the change gears.
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 2:47:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't buy an old POS to learn on, you'll frustrate yourself endlessly figuring out if it's something you did wrong or if the lathe is just junk.

I'd rather have a modern Chinese lathe than a rusty old Logan/Atlas/Craftsman/SB9 toy for the same money. Especially with no qc gearbox. Smallest I'd go is a Heavy 10.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 10:55:39 PM EDT
[#4]
It's missing whatever was in these empty holes Attachment Attached File

If you want a lathe to use don't buy it, covered in rust and missing parts. Probably has significant wear and lots of backlash. If you want a project to take apart and paint, go for it if it's cheap, never expect great things from it though.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 7:05:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I apologize for not updating. The guy wanted $1600 which I thought was nuts.

Hard to find deals around me, even when they are this condition.

Im just playing around so.....anyway the search continues.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top