Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2023 1:02:57 PM EDT
I always see the advice given "Buy a bigger old lathe, possibly with extras for a little more"  Im trying to do just that instead of buying mini chinese stuff. Im a complete noob and just learning, with a tight budget of $1500 tops to start.

Been watching a while and unfortunately not many deals to be had. Found a guy with an old Logan lathe he wants to sell. I dont have any detail on it and he seemingly has no knowledge on it. Pics aren't great, working with what I got.

Looking to see if you guys could let me know what you see and what you would value something like this at.

I appreciate the help.

Link Posted: 12/27/2023 2:13:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I like it. Would be a great project to restore. I see it comes with a 3 and 4-jaw chuck, steady rest, milling attachment and the tail stock is there. I would not buy it thinking it is ready to run, it will likely need attention. The best policy is to inspect in person if you can.
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 2:38:34 PM EDT
[#2]
No quick change gear box will suck, but not the end of the world given your budget. I would make sure that it comes with all of the change gears.
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 2:47:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't buy an old POS to learn on, you'll frustrate yourself endlessly figuring out if it's something you did wrong or if the lathe is just junk.

I'd rather have a modern Chinese lathe than a rusty old Logan/Atlas/Craftsman/SB9 toy for the same money. Especially with no qc gearbox. Smallest I'd go is a Heavy 10.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 10:55:39 PM EDT
[#4]
It's missing whatever was in these empty holes Attachment Attached File

If you want a lathe to use don't buy it, covered in rust and missing parts. Probably has significant wear and lots of backlash. If you want a project to take apart and paint, go for it if it's cheap, never expect great things from it though.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 7:05:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I apologize for not updating. The guy wanted $1600 which I thought was nuts.

Hard to find deals around me, even when they are this condition.

Im just playing around so.....anyway the search continues.
Top Top