BCM
User Panel

Red dots on pistols.. (Page 5 of 108)
Page / 108
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 9:54:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 9:55:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I wish arfcomers calling anything they don't like/understand a fad was a fad and that it would die quickly.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 10:00:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 10:00:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DonkeyHotay:

Are they deployed by the .MIL on pistols yet?

Then the jury is still out.
View Quote

SOCOM/Delta/DevGru uses dots on their pistols regularly.

Which is why the Sig was spec’ed with a plate.

If you saw who usually carries a pistol in the DoD, you would agree eletronic sights probably aren’t a purchase priority.

The people who actually use pistols in the DoD however use electronic sights on their pistols.

Yes they can break, but their advantages clearly outweigh their disadvantages at this point.

You are the guy in 1998 arguing that the internet is a fad. It’s pretty pathetic.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 10:08:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Iron sights require no backup.

And I like less shit to break on something I trust my life with on the daily.

But that's just me.

View Quote

If you have never had irons break you don't shoot very much
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 10:16:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By BuckeyeRifleman:

If you saw who usually carries a pistol in the DoD, you would agree eletronic sights probably aren’t a purchase priority.

The people who actually use pistols in the DoD however use electronic sights on their pistols.

Yes they can break, but their advantages clearly outweigh their disadvantages at this point.

You are the guy in 1998 arguing that the internet is a fad. It’s pretty pathetic.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BuckeyeRifleman:

Are they deployed by the .MIL on pistols yet?

Then the jury is still out.

Nashville PD have RDSs on their pistols, though I don’t know if they’re a general issue item or private purchase.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 10:16:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I miss the old shotgun vs AR arguments.....
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 10:19:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By TradWoodsman:

View All Quotes

Iron sights require no backup.

And I like less shit to break on something I trust my life with on the daily.

But that's just me.

Anything can break. I had a front sight shoot loose on a Glock before they changed to the screwed in front sight. Had a 1911 front sight fly off. Had an Aimpoint die. Had an RMR that turns itself off under recoil.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 10:20:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a home made do it youself gun with a red dot.

I will probably never even get a shot off.

Link Posted: 12/22/2022 10:22:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 8w7:

Because the same 6 guys cannot help themselves. They fight tooth and nail like Jehovah’s Witnesses or cult members when anyone dares to say that dots aren’t for them. That’s why some have been banned from the handgun forum.

It’s utterly ridiculous.
View Quote

But that's not how these threads go. It's usually someone spouting some ignorant, misinformed crap getting dog piled rather than someone someone who simply says "no thanks, I'm fine with irons".

It's been so done to death at this point I usually just sit back and watch, but I've read most of the red dot threads just for the laughs. Casting the anti-red dot crowd as the victims is disingenuous at best.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 10:22:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 10:23:24 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote
Meat. From. Bone.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 10:23:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By thirsty:

My whiz bang dot has backup irons.

I can’t wait for the day, in a few years, when we laugh at the absurdity of these threads, then go out and shoot our pistols equipped with RDS.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By thirsty:
Originally Posted By DVCER:
When your whiz bang dot fails, so will you.

It’s a pistol for gods sake.

My whiz bang dot has backup irons.

I can’t wait for the day, in a few years, when we laugh at the absurdity of these threads, then go out and shoot our pistols equipped with RDS.

The future is now, young man.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 10:24:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Ironhandjohn:

Nashville PD have RDSs on their pistols, though I don't know if they're a general issue item or private purchase.
View Quote
Wealthier jurisdictions around the Birmingham metro area have either transitioned to rds or are in the process.  Issue.  Others have authorized private purchase and use.
My agency is in the process, of course at the rate things are going I'll be long retired before the first issue rds glock hits the street.  Plenty of personal purchase on the street already.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 10:25:11 AM EDT
[#15]

I need to get more pistols outfitted with RMRs.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 10:25:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By brosnarp:

If I'm training for defensive use, should I be satisfied with c zone hits, or should I strive for upper a zone hits?
View Quote

Fucking preach.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 10:27:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Redbirdxx:

But that's not how these threads go. It's usually someone spouting some ignorant, misinformed crap getting dog piled rather than someone someone who simply says "no thanks, I'm fine with irons".

It's been so done to death at this point I usually just sit back and watch, but I've read most of the red dot threads just for the laughs. Casting the anti-red dot crowd as the victims is disingenuous at best.
View All Quotes

Because the same 6 guys cannot help themselves. They fight tooth and nail like Jehovah’s Witnesses or cult members when anyone dares to say that dots aren’t for them. That’s why some have been banned from the handgun forum.

It’s utterly ridiculous.

Yeah it usually more like , "you can keep your whizzbang doodads, I'm sticking with what actually works..." type posts.

I used to have a lot of uninformed opinions but I can accept I was wrong and move forward.

As in all things I'll just blame boomers.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 10:28:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By AIWB:

Bullshit. Iron sights fail more than dots. Ok buddy.
View Quote

More often than high quality dots? Likely so.

I’ve seen more irons suffer failures in the past year than RMRs. I’ve personally had more irons fail than dots in the past year.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 10:29:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By AIWB:

And they practice with them way more than normal ccw’ers. Which is needed to find that dot.
View Quote

If you choose not to train and accept mediocrity as a way of life than a dot is absolutely not for you.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 10:29:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By bigern314:

I used to have a lot of uninformed opinions but I can accept I was wrong and move forward.

View Quote

I still have a lot of misinformed opinions. I just haven't been corrected on some of them yet.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 10:31:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Glck1911:
Haven't read every post, but let me make an educated guess on how this thread is going.

Anti-Dot'ers post ridiculous and untrue arguments against red dots.  

Dot'ers post counter argument

Anti-Dot'ers get their depends in a wad and autistic screech about how they shouldn't be forced to change.
View Quote

This should be pinned.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 10:32:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By 45-Seventy:

More often than high quality dots? Likely so.

I’ve seen more irons suffer failures in the past year than RMRs. I’ve personally had more irons fail than dots in the past year.
View Quote

Yup.  I'm not a competition shooter or trainer and I've seen it more than once.  The only Dots I've seen fail are the super cheap ones.

Most front iron sights are held on by tiny Chinese pot metal screws.  Not sure why it's hard to believe they fail.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 10:32:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By JBecker_72:
https://i.postimg.cc/HkSVMXbn/5-CCB9365-1433-4-D43-A5-C5-74-AB3-D4-EAE0-F.jpg

View All Quotes

Attachment Attached File

I was very happy to have this on my hip last night.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 10:33:13 AM EDT
[#24]

It’s utterly ridiculous.
View Quote

It’s not the people who say dots aren’t for them. It’s the people who post objectively incorrect and absurd arguments against them.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 10:33:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 11:02:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By BabaYaga22:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/417747/image_jpg-2644408.JPG

View All Quotes

The next one I have milled I'm gonna get that OD cerakote finish. Love that look.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 11:06:45 AM EDT
[#27]
The next one I have milled I'm gonna get that OD cerakote finish. Love that look.
View All Quotes

Thanks a local smith did the work, the shade of OD he used is perfect and did a great job too!
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 11:08:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: grey50beast] [#28]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:

Which sight is that?

I am going RD on my Sig 320 and shopping around.

Getting new slide etc so I am flexible on the cut. My current slide can’t be cut.
View Quote

Steiner MPS.

Check it out at the 2 gun in January. I love it. Battery life isn't the best, but I've carried it on hikes under water, and beat the crap out of it so far. We didn't have much mud out in Vegas, but I'm looking forward to some mud testing out here soon.

The battery life thing is a non issue to me, because it's top mounted battery tray, and the dot blinks for quite a few days before it gets dimmer, indicating the battery is getting low. I leave mine on 24/7 on the second highest setting and have only changed one battery in the almost year that Ive had it. I bought it used, as well, so who knows how old that original battery was, and that last me 7 months.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 11:11:22 AM EDT
[#29]
I can’t imagine going back to irons on pistols. Red dots are absolute game changers.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 11:11:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Rudukai13:
I fucking hate this place
View Quote

Red dots are a fad. I reckon they phase out in 2023 and we never see one again.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 11:13:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Lexustech48:
Serious question, any adapter plates available that I can mount one of those Vortex UH-1s to my Sig P365XL?
View Quote

Yeah, JB Weld makes one.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 11:16:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ArizonaRifleman] [#32]

View All Quotes

It’s utterly ridiculous.

They still dogpiled on me after asking why this was so important for them to get the last words and be purposely insulting with people that even said a harmless "not for me" and that I am fine with irons for my handguns. Even had some stalk me derping ignorant crap about muh presentationz is craps" despite me telling them that I never had that problem before and without knowing anything about me (projection, he was projecting his own issues into me and after being called on kit, he post stalked me which was super cringe just some of my other stalkers that I no longer see anymore because the ignore is a wonderful feature making my time much more pleasant).

There are obvious trolls that the cult of handgun dots have taken the bait and shitted on, not knowing that they just got outplayed by a dot user, lol.

But to say that it's disingenuous about non dot users crying wolf, is being disingenuous all on it's own. One even admitted that it was an actual agenda of his and why he refuses to accept anyone's answer that isn't an automatic yes. The rest don't have the integrity to admit that either.

And L-O-L at the ones being banned from the handgun forums over red dot arguments by those saying no. getting banned from from tech is pretty telling that the issue is with the banned and not the ones saying no thank you. That's what makes your claim that it's us and not you guys full of it.

It's the new AR vs shotgun fun for GD, and OP is a troll for doing another one when there was an already weakly one that ran it's course.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 11:16:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By TGE:

Yeah, JB Weld makes one.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lexustech48:
Serious question, any adapter plates available that I can mount one of those Vortex UH-1s to my Sig P365XL?

Yeah, JB Weld makes one.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 11:17:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Not a big fan myself. I have two pistols so equipped (a G40 and PSA-5.7Rock). They are neat but I don’t shoot ANY better with or without the red dot. All they do is add bulk to the gun.

Still, kinda cool looking.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 11:17:22 AM EDT
[#35]

I still have a lot of misinformed opinions. I just haven't been corrected on some of them yet.
View Quote

Keep reading then
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 11:18:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By ArizonaRifleman:

They still dogpiled on me after asking why this was so important for them to get the last words and be purposely insulting with people that even said a harmless "not for me" and that I am fine with irons for my handguns. Even had some stalk me derping ignorant crap about muh presentationz is craps" despite me telling them that I never had that problem before and without knowing anything about me (projection, he was projecting his own issues into me and after being called on kit, he post stalked me which was super cringe just some of my other stalkers that I no longer see anymore because the ignore is a wonderful feature making my time much more pleasant).

There are obvious trolls that the cult of handgun dots have taken the bait and shitted on, not knowing that they just got outplayed by a dot user, lol.

But to say that it's disingenuous about non dot users crying wolf, is being disingenuous all on it's own. One even admitted that it was an actual agenda of his and why he refuses to accept anyone's answer that isn't an automatic yes. The rest don't have the integrity to say no.

And L-O-L at the ones being banned from the handgun forums over red dot arguments by those saying no. getting banned from from tech is pretty telling that the issue is with the banned and not the ones saying no thank you. That's what makes your claim that it's us and not you guys full of it.

It's the new AR vs shotgun fun for GD, and OP is a troll for doing another one when there was an already weakly one that ran it's course.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ArizonaRifleman:

It’s utterly ridiculous.

But to say that it's disingenuous about non dot users crying wolf, is being disingenuous all on it's own. One even admitted that it was an actual agenda of his and why he refuses to accept anyone's answer that isn't an automatic yes. The rest don't have the integrity to say no.

You feel better now honey? Just let what the mean anonymous people said on the Internet forum go. Let it all out.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 11:22:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ArizonaRifleman] [#37]
Attachment Attached File

Not even subscribed, enjoy waiting for the bait that was never taken
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 11:22:09 AM EDT
[#38]

On pistolas?

You sure about that?
View Quote

Lol yeah, most use the RMR or DPP.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 11:24:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By macman37:

Ehhhh it's not really like that though  the resistance is usually backed by varying doses of "I don't need none of that newfangled trash  if you need that much help hittin' the tergit maybe let yer husband show you how to use real sights "  

For sure it's great to train with and use both. Beneficial. But some of us who had the same problem but have figured it out are trying to help others figure it out with some shortcuts   and are met with resistance.

It doesn't help that this thread is posted so often so there is some weariness associated.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Butternut:
Why do some folks get so angry over this? Just shoot pistols like you prefer to shoot em. Are we not adults? It's not middle school anymore, where you have to be concerned about whether folks in the cafeteria or gym class will think you are cool.

Because the same 6 guys cannot help themselves. They fight tooth and nail like Jehovah's Witnesses or cult members when anyone dares to say that dots aren't for them. That's why some have been banned from the handgun forum.

It's utterly ridiculous.

Ehhhh it's not really like that though  the resistance is usually backed by varying doses of "I don't need none of that newfangled trash  if you need that much help hittin' the tergit maybe let yer husband show you how to use real sights "  

For sure it's great to train with and use both. Beneficial. But some of us who had the same problem but have figured it out are trying to help others figure it out with some shortcuts   and are met with resistance.

It doesn't help that this thread is posted so often so there is some weariness associated.
Same guys who don't trust those plastic Glocks, and still carry a 6-shooter because "revolvers can't jam" lmao
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 11:25:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Total fad.

Link Posted: 12/22/2022 11:26:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Meat. From. Bone.
View All Quotes
Meat. From. Bone.
Shotguns are for shooting birds. ARs are for shooting people.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 11:29:01 AM EDT
[#42]
View All Quotes
Meat. From. Bone.

You can use a shotgun for defense, you can use an AR to hunt.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 11:33:34 AM EDT
[#43]
We're beating the shit out of this horse again, I see.

MRDS all day every day for me.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 11:35:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Ironhandjohn:

Nashville PD have RDSs on their pistols, though I don’t know if they’re a general issue item or private purchase.
View Quote

IIRC, they are issued to SWAT and maybe some special units.  Regular patrol officers still have standard Glocks.

Knox County Sheriff’s Office started issuing RDS to some units about a year ago.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 11:41:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By FourLoko:
epic fad

most cops won't have them for years

most cops never fire a round

toys for paper punchers
View Quote

Wrong.

In a few years, it will be a liability for departments not to issue RDS on pistols.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 11:42:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By rod727:

I would wager that Ruger .22 with a red dot will tear one ragged hole .I use something similar for a lot of range work
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rod727:

I would wager that Ruger .22 with a red dot will tear one ragged hole .I use something similar for a lot of range work
It probably could, if my dumb ass wasn't the one pulling the trigger
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 11:45:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Rudukai13:
I fucking hate this place
View Quote

THIS kind of commentary is why I fucking love this place
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 11:46:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: slyguy2000] [#48]

my P365 long slide (P365XL with 10rnd grip frame and mag) and RMRcc
my EDC
love this setup!!

just put a RMR on my Ruger MarkIV Target too.

Link Posted: 12/22/2022 11:50:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Seven-Shooter:
It probably could, if my dumb ass wasn't the one pulling the trigger
View Quote

Ruger .22’s are pretty awesome. They’re especially awesome when they’re made by Volquartsen.

I just punched by ticket for GM in RFPO with this little dude the other day. It might be my favorite gun to shoot.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 11:52:14 AM EDT
[#50]

You feel better now honey? Just let what the mean anonymous people said on the Internet forum go. Let it all out.
View Quote

Page / 108
Red dots on pistols.. (Page 5 of 108)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top