Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:07:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:12:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Brilliant,  absolutely brilliant!

I start tomorrow!
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:22:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Just putting it all out front with a sign that says FREE is a lot less work.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:37:16 AM EDT
[#7]
That is one of the dumbest things to be posted on ARFCOM.

Why would you waste your time and gas doing such an idiotic thing?

Just post it for free or drive it all to a Salvation Army and be done with it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:40:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Take it to the salvation army and take the tax deduction for the ridiculous amount they give for donated items
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:06:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Why not reverse theft instead? Break into someone’s house and leave stuff there.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:08:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cbr954:
That is one of the dumbest things to be posted on ARFCOM.

Why would you waste your time and gas doing such an idiotic thing?

Just post it for free or drive it all to a Salvation Army and be done with it.
View Quote

Because life is supposed to be fun...remember?
And that shit sounds funny as hell.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:09:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Mooseless:
Why not reverse theft instead? Break into someone’s house and leave stuff there.
View Quote

Now we’re getting somewhere.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:25:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Mooseless:
View Quote

I 100% love this idea, do eeeet!!!
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:38:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:44:14 AM EDT
[#14]
I don’t know, seems like it would be kind of fun just imaging the “seller” wondering where the hell something came from.

Not the most efficient way to get rid of things but sounds kind of fun.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:44:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Just ship it to other ARF'ers in the Secret Santa thread...

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:56:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:00:26 AM EDT
[#17]
My grandmother, mom, and my neighbor do that to us when we have a yardsale
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:02:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Even easier. Leave random shit in the beds of random pick ups. Hit the mall on a weekend and get rid of everything in one trip.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:18:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By AJE:
Instead of putting all of my old shit out in the driveway and putting cheap prices and trying to make a few dollars, I thought of another way.

I attend area garage sales other people are having, and drop a few of my own items amongst other people's offerings.   I could even put a sticker with a cheap price on it.

I get rid of my old stuff, and the thrill of getting away with something without committing a crime, and the strangers may make a few dollars in the process.  

I don't see a down side to this.
View Quote

People keep your stuff you leave.  
People throw your stuff in the trash.
People sell your stuff and charge you for using their garage sale and workers.

Yeah go ahead and just pull up to a garage sale and sit there trying to sell your stuff.  Probably would make interesting videos.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:21:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FrankSymptoms] [#20]
Oh. I thought you were gonna open your garage, let people drop stuff off and let you give them money.

Sort of related: At a ham radio swap meet I had an old FM transciever with a CD sticker on the side. It was the size and shape of a desk and weighed a ton.
One guy was sort of interested in it. I let him haggle me down from $50- 20- $5..
Finally I loudly said "Here's my final offer: I'll give you $5.00 and help you load it!" He took it away.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:24:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By midmo:
View Quote

People will just ignore it....change the sign to $5ea and someone will just steal it all.  Problem solved.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:25:47 AM EDT
[#22]
My daughter and I were just joking about something like this the other day...

Common for people around here to put a table out at the end of their driveway with random stuff for people to take rather than have it go in the trash.  We were thinking we should keep some of our stuff in the car and drop it off here on those tables.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:40:43 AM EDT
[#23]
OP, I told my wife that she should do the same thing, going to garage sales and leaving stuff.
If I can figure out a way to smuggle a piano into someone's garage sale, I'll be very happy.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:49:33 AM EDT
[#24]

Your couch is in good shape, mine is showing signs of use.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:52:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:53:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Instead of putting all of my old shit out in the driveway and putting cheap prices and trying to make a few dollars, I thought of another way.

I attend area garage sales other people are having, and drop a few of my own items amongst other people's offerings.   I could even put a sticker with a cheap price on it.

I get rid of my old stuff, and the thrill of getting away with something without committing a crime, and the strangers may make a few dollars in the process.  

View Quote

Sounds like the perfect solution to the crap most people have but no one else will pay for. I say go for it! LOL
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:10:31 AM EDT
[#27]
When I moved my mother out of her last house we put a table out with everything she was looking to get rid of. It took a couple of weekends, but eventually most items were gone. Everything that was left over went to the dump.

I'm now doing this myself with items I have picked up along the way in an effort clear out baggage. There is something to the whole "you will own nothing and be happy", I just don't agree with it being controlled by someone else.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:13:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:20:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By joekizanyu:
Even easier. Leave random shit in the beds of random pick ups. Hit the mall on a weekend and get rid of everything in one trip.
View Quote

You know this may have just answered an old mystery for me. I always keep my vehicles cleaned and looking new as possible. Probably 15 years ago I went to go get in my truck at a store and saw something in the bed. It was a cardboard box full of car wash and detail stuff. I was baffled as to where it came from. I asked everyone I could think of if they put it there as I wasn’t sure if it was done it my house or at the store parking lot. Nobody ever fessed up. There was good stuff in there and probably several hundred dollars worth.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:30:14 AM EDT
[#30]
My one and only garage I had people asking me if I'd take a dime on some items marked at a quarter.
Ain't nobody got time for dat. I now give useful shit to friends or toss them in the garbage.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:32:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By shotar:
So now some poor sap who is trying to get rid of unwanted stuff, now has one more piece of unwanted stuff.

Yesterday, I took a bunch of odds and ends gun stuff I no longer had the gun for to the lgs. He gave me $290.

I added $10 and went home with a 1977 Ruger single 6. Now gotta find a .22 mag cylinder I can trade more unwanted stuff for.
View Quote

It's the cycle of life.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:33:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:36:03 AM EDT
[#33]
I either take it to a thrift store or toss it in the trash.  I've been dragging some stuff around for 50 years but i haven't seen most of it for 20.  I don't care anymore.  A lot of this was left to me.  Other people's memories.  I remember them, i don't need to drag their stuff around.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:39:09 AM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

If it says FREE, no one will take it, figuring it’s junk. If you put a little bit inflated price on it and leave it unattended, it’ll get stolen.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:03:21 AM EDT
[#35]
I hear the new EE is pretty awesome so maybe post them there
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:05:43 AM EDT
[#36]

Yep

Let em sort through it
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:07:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Da Da Da
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:08:30 AM EDT
[#38]
it could be considered littering.
heck of a lot easier to just throw it all at a donation center or in the trash.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:08:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By JustDaniel:
I hear the new EE is pretty awesome so maybe post them there
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/th-463.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:09:57 AM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

In my area putting a sign on it that says Do not take works even better
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:13:02 AM EDT
[#41]

My dad found a bag of weed in his car once, thought I had left it there.

I've never smoked weed in my life, and still haven't.

Turns out his co-worker had the same car and his dealer stuck it in the wrong car.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jwb211:
Originally Posted By joekizanyu:

You know this may have just answered an old mystery for me. I always keep my vehicles cleaned and looking new as possible. Probably 15 years ago I went to go get in my truck at a store and saw something in the bed. It was a cardboard box full of car wash and detail stuff. I was baffled as to where it came from. I asked everyone I could think of if they put it there as I wasn't sure if it was done it my house or at the store parking lot. Nobody ever fessed up. There was good stuff in there and probably several hundred dollars worth.

My dad found a bag of weed in his car once, thought I had left it there.

I've never smoked weed in my life, and still haven't.

Turns out his co-worker had the same car and his dealer stuck it in the wrong car.

Still sticking to that story, huh?  Is your dad a member here?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:15:01 AM EDT
[#42]

View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:21:46 AM EDT
[#43]

if you put that thing under a blacklight it'd look like a Jackson Pollack painting.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:34:42 AM EDT
[#44]
As stressful and time limited as my MIL’s estate sale was, it would have led to a beat down if someone had been caught doing this.  After everything was finished, it would have provided some laughs, though.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:50:47 AM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

We have a MAGIC alley behind my house.  If we put unwanted stuff out back, it vanishes within a few hours to a couple of days.  I've cut old consoles into pieces with a chainsaw and someone took them.  Wife drug home a beat to hell book case(?) with swelled up damaged particle board.  She wanted the hardware, and someone else wanted what was left.  I HATE dealing with selling crap.

Paladin
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:03:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Number_Six] [#46]
I attend area garage sales other people are having, and drop a few of my own items amongst other people's offerings...
View Quote

You are missing an important part of your plan...create a reasonable price..."leave" the stuff at Goodwill dropoff, deduct the value on your income taxes.
The down side...where the down boys go.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:36:12 PM EDT
[#47]
They might be a little suspicious of someone showing up with a dresser and leaving it...

Nick
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:53:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:55:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Almost as much fun as going to the grocery store and putting random odd stuff in other people's shopping cart.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:00:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top