Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/15/2024 10:13:16 PM EDT
Needed nuts and bolts to replace a couple for mounting my motor to my boat.  Went to Lowe's grabbed a couple, paid for them, and when I got home I didn't have time right away to install them.  So I put them in a magnetic parts dish.  They slid around the dish freely.  Struck me as odd so I lifted them out....zero resistance.  The magnet wasn't doing anything to hold the bolts.  Figured maybe something was wrong with the dish so I tried a different one.  Same result.  

Any idea why stainless bolts wouldn't be magnetic?  Never encountered such a thing before.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:15:21 PM EDT
[#1]
That's normal. Depending on grade, stainless steel ranges from "a little magnetic" to "not magnetic at all".
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:15:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Chinese stainless.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:16:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Iron rusts, so no.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:16:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Stainless generally isn't magnetic.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:17:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By noob5000000:
That's normal. Depending on grade, stainless steel ranges from "a little magnetic" to "not magnetic at all".
View Quote

You serious Clark?

What grade is not magnetic at all?  Typically stainless bolts are glued to magnetic parts dishes.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:17:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RIP-Yataski] [#6]
Many stainless steels are non-ferrous. Figured this was common knowledge...

ETA: I was corrected further down the thread regarding using 'non-ferrous' in this case. We aren't talking aluminum or copper here...
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:17:54 PM EDT
[#7]
18-8 stainless hardware is non magnetic.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:19:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes and no. Different types of stainless have different levels of magnetic attraction.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:19:28 PM EDT
[#9]
As previously stated stainless in general is only slightly magnetic.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:20:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MethaneMover] [#10]
Originally Posted By Emt1581:

You serious Clark?

What grade is not magnetic at all?  Typically stainless bolts are glued to magnetic parts dishes.

View Quote
You got shit hardware, or it could be 4xx stuff.  It's kinda magnetic, but not generally hardware.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:21:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Non-magnetic stainless steel has a high nickel content, which causes it to be non-magnetic.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:22:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By curiomatic:
Non-magnetic stainless steel has a high nickel content, which causes it to be non-magnetic.
View Quote
Got something to do with the crystalline structure.  FCC vs BCC maybe?  I'm 18yrs out of that course and only deal in 304 or 316 now.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:26:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By RIP-Yataski:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:28:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I like stainless fridge doors for that reason.

No crappy magnets with notes will stick to it. And my fridge is in a cubby hole so the sides aren't accessible.

I too thought it was common knowledge of the characteristics of stainless steel.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:40:09 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Kinda weird since pure nickel is magnetic.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:42:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MeestaSparkle] [#16]
Martensitic stainless alloys are magnetic, austenitic are not.  It has to do with the crystal structure. If you want a magnetic SS it has to be a martensitic alloy.  Nickel is actually magnetic, so some of the previous comments aren’t totally accurate.  All stainless alloys are ferritic (containing iron), the more important property regarding magnetism is crystal struture.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:48:04 PM EDT
[#17]

You serious Clark?

View Quote

you must be confusing stainless non ferrous with galvanized
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:48:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By MeestaSparkle:
Martensitic stainless alloys are magnetic, austenitic are not.  It has to do with the crystal structure. If you want a magnetic SS it has to be a martensitic alloy.  Nickel is actually magnetic, so some of the previous comments aren’t totally accurate.
View Quote

I use a lot of Aebl stainless which is martensitic. In an annealed state it is very magnetic, once it is hardened it becomes much less magnetic. I often have to use super glue to help keep small part on the magnetic chuck for surface grinding. It's really weird what alloying creates sometimes.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:49:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Technically SS is paramagnetic, according to it's alloy.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:50:00 PM EDT
[#20]

300 series is not normally magnetic, but can get that way by cold working.

400 series is normally magnetic.

Still, not very strongly magnetic.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:50:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:50:59 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

I would have been more surprised if a "stainless bolt" was magnetic.  Not sure about the level of magnetism, I'm sure there's science that I've forgotten about it, but in general, this.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:52:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Martensitic stainless alloys are magnetic, austenitic are not.  It has to do with the crystal structure. If you want a magnetic SS it has to be a martensitic alloy.  Nickel is actually magnetic, so some of the previous comments aren’t totally accurate.  All stainless alloys are ferritic (containing iron), the more important property regarding magnetism is crystal struture.
View Quote

^^^ that's the answer.

Also about 70% of SS production is austenitic, so odds are really good you'll get it and not something else.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:55:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By HangfiresGhost:
Chinese stainless.
View Quote

Any austenitic / 3xx stainless steels non magnetic

ferritic / 4xx type stainless steels are magnetic
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:57:16 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

Which is odd because iron, nickel & cobalt are all ferrous metals...
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:59:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JQ66] [#26]
View Quote

You have iron-nickel stainless alloys, with chrome too, as well as other stuff in there.  They are usually mostly iron,with chrome then nickel being no2  and 3 in %.  These are generally your austenitic 3xx grades

Then there is the Iron-chrome which is mostly ferritics.   This would be like 439 stainless.  

Non ferrous is no Fe, so could be nickel alloys, cobalt, Al, titanium...
Well they're going to have some Fe, but Any iron would be very small %

Not all 400 type stainless steels are martensitic.   Some are ferritic, like 409, 430, 441.

And then there's duplex alloys

This wiki article is pretty good and covers all the stainless types and properties
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:59:25 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

You forgot where you are.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:00:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Some stainless steel is a little magnetic, some is not.

Stainless is a blend of metals and sometimes some carbon, not much carbon.

One of my dive knives does not rust but doesn't take a good edge.

Another dive knife holds a good edge but can rust a bit.  This one probably has some carbon to make it take a good edge.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:01:43 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:05:58 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

Ferromagnetic.

Non-ferrous means no iron content.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:07:19 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

This isn't true. Ferrous means iron. Steel is always an alloy of iron and some other trace materials. Therefore it's not possible to have a non-ferrous type of steel, stainless or otherwise.

My best guess is that the multiple people in this thread saying stainless steel is non-ferrous think non-ferrous means non-magnetic, which it doesn't.

Sorry, I'm kind of surprised at how much this annoyed me.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:08:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Them dang stainless steel tool boxes and fridges gets everyone confused being magnetic.
Stainless hardware is non magnetic. If you go to your steel supply store, they're going to have 304, 316 on hand and that's non magnetic - very commonly used for manufacturing.

Look up "stainless steel hardware galling" before using your nuts and bolts in the case you might want to take your parts apart again someday.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:11:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Colt Pistol Grip screw, NON magnetic, lock washer is.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:21:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Michigan_Man:

This isn't true. Ferrous means iron. Steel is always an alloy of iron and some other trace materials. Therefore it's not possible to have a non-ferrous type of steel, stainless or otherwise.

My best guess is that the multiple people in this thread saying stainless steel is non-ferrous think non-ferrous means non-magnetic, which it doesn't.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Michigan_Man:

My day job involves me being very pedantic, so I get it.  That said, the main thing I know of that uses stainless steel is boating, what else might?  I know I stay away from stainless steel hardware on purpose, supposed to be way worse in many respects, and any science classes I didn't sleep through are long ago.

Not many are interested in the nitty gritty of my pedantic computer work.  Which might explain my own lack of enthusiasm for working on computers at home.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:23:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tsg68] [#35]
Lol, really? Who didn’t know non ferrous metals aren’t magnetic?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:25:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Higher the corrosion resistance = higher chromium = less magnetic

Some SS is magnetic, some isn’t
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:30:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By haveTwo:

My day job involves me being very pedantic, so I get it.  That said, the main thing I know of that uses stainless steel is boating, what else might? I know I stay away from stainless steel hardware on purpose, supposed to be way worse in many respects, and any science classes I didn't sleep through are long ago.

Not many are interested in the nitty gritty of my pedantic computer work.  Which might explain my own lack of enthusiasm for working on computers at home.
View Quote
Anything high temp, low temp, corrosive, sanitary, or needing abrasion resistance....off hand.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:31:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By DamascusKnifemaker:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DamascusKnifemaker:

Nickel affects the Crystaline structure of stainless in a way that makes it non-magnetic.  There are magnetic alloys of stainless steel.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:33:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By MethaneMover:
Anything high temp, low temp, corrosive, sanitary, or needing abrasion resistance....off hand.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MethaneMover:

My day job involves me being very pedantic, so I get it.  That said, the main thing I know of that uses stainless steel is boating, what else might? I know I stay away from stainless steel hardware on purpose, supposed to be way worse in many respects, and any science classes I didn't sleep through are long ago.

Well shit, that's why.  I'm pretty much only concerned with "ranchy" fixes, and sketchy vehicle shit.  I know to stay away from it with old jap bikes for sure.  Otherwise I'm just getting galvanized for general home use.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:35:56 PM EDT
[#40]
I Just cleaned out my garage and went through all of my containers of mixed nuts, bolts screws, and washers. I can confirm that some stainless is truly not magnetic and some is partially.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:36:38 PM EDT
[#41]

Well shit, that's why.  I'm pretty much only concerned with "ranchy" fixes, and sketchy vehicle shit. I know to stay away from it with old jap bikes for sure.  Otherwise I'm just getting galvanized for general home use.
View Quote
Amen to that.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:38:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:39:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: slowkota1] [#43]

You serious Clark?

View Quote

Ummm... lol

At a previous job, I worked with lots of Stainless steel that wasn't magnetic. A lil annoying since we mainly used magnetic lifting blocks on our hoists haha
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:39:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
Stainless generally isn't magnetic.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:43:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Codyboy:
I like stainless fridge doors for that reason.

No crappy magnets with notes will stick to it. And my fridge is in a cubby hole so the sides aren't accessible.

I too thought it was common knowledge of the characteristics of stainless steel.
View Quote

This.  My wife loves magnets of all kinds so she can have the fridge covered in shit.  I got tired of it and suggested we buy a new stainless fridge.  She loved the idea.  I took a magnet with me to make sure they wouldn’t stick to it.  Came home with the new fridge.  She immediately tries to put shit on it and nothing stuck.  She was pissed.  After a little online research she figured it out but never blamed me.  Next house we moved to several years later she made damned sure that it would attract a magnet.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:10:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: harrymank] [#46]
Everyday we get one step closer to idiocracy.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:22:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Obo2] [#47]

Which is odd because iron, nickel & cobalt are all ferrous metals...
View Quote

Ferrous literally means containing iron. Which would exclude pure nickel and cobalt..
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:48:32 AM EDT
[#48]
i am always in awe of the knowledge concentrated in this forum.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:19:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Typically stainless bolts are glued to magnetic parts dishes.
View Quote

No they aren't.

The more stainless, the less magnetic.
If they're a crappy quality and have other metals mixed in they become magnetic.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:39:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Needed nuts and bolts to replace a couple for mounting my motor to my boat.  
View Quote

Is your boat made of aluminum?

https://crafter.fastenal.com/static-assets/pdfs/Corrosion_rev_2017-02-21.pdf
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top