Originally Posted By CryptoMan:

WILSON!!!

I always think of this one....

Behind Enemies Lines: Football on Carrier Scene
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:30:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bronsonburner:

He really means Alexander Arms but he doesn't know that lol.
View Quote

Dude, Grendel is Kel-Tec before it was Kel-Tec
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:47:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Geforce_2:
I've got two stories but not from behind the counter.

This was several years ago before most of the guns in stores had trigger locks. Walked into my LGS one day and picked up a 10/22. Racked the slide, and out popped a round. Ejected the 10 rd mag and there were multiple rounds in it. Took the gun and mag up to the counter to show the employee. I told him it was loaded and there was 1 in the chamber. As I'm talking I thumbed out another 9 rounds from the mag onto the counter. The employee turned white as a ghost...

The other story is from a store in Colorado. I was on a business trip and went to see what the local inventory was like. As I'm browsing the store, in walks a married couple. Both slim/small and petite and in their early 20s. They were looking for their very first gun. The guy behind the counter extolled the wonderful virtues of the M&P Shield 45. According to him, it was the best thing since sliced bread. The couple left the store without buying it. As they walked out, I followed them into the parking lot. I struck up a conversation with them. Turns out neither of them had ever shot a gun before and wanted something for self defense. I suggested a class at a local shooting range that had a good reputation according to my co-workers. And suggested something smaller than a .45 cal as their first gun to ever shoot. By the way, this store used to be showcased in a reality gun TV show that was suddenly shelved and they lost their FFL due to some AFT issues...

View Quote

I worked behind the counter for three years.
I had taken a day off to go hunting with my dad. We were sitting there eating supper when the guy who did our Cerakote called me about what had happened that day.

Apparently the owner (who had a tendency to get fucked up on painkillers from time to time) put his personal carry gun in the display case for some reason. It was a P365 right when they were first released. We were the first shop in the area to get one- the owner ended up buying it for himself. A customer came in and inquired about it.
Another employee took the gun out of the case and handed it to the customer without checking the chamber first. The customer racked the slide and out pops a JHP 9mm onto the counter…
Needless to say, that shop is no longer in business, but for entirely different reasons.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:49:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By xviperx420:

Another one, weird guy walks in

"yall sell body armor?"
"No, why do you need it?"
View Quote

lol 😂 “because fuck you” should have been his response.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:03:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dumak] [#5]
This is the weirdest story I have, but it wasn't at a gun store.

I was working at a sportsball and comic shop in a mall in NE IL in the early 90's.  

A woman came in, asked to see a Bret Saberhagen card.  Then she pops out a contact lens and starts cleaning it on the display case and using the card to keep it suspended in the solution she is squirting out all over it and the case.  Then she puts the contact lens back in her eye and walks out and tosses the card into a trash can on her way out.

We were all standing there like WTF.  

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:04:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Geforce_2:
I've got two stories but not from behind the counter.

This was several years ago before most of the guns in stores had trigger locks. Walked into my LGS one day and picked up a 10/22. Racked the slide, and out popped a round. Ejected the 10 rd mag and there were multiple rounds in it. Took the gun and mag up to the counter to show the employee. I told him it was loaded and there was 1 in the chamber. As I'm talking I thumbed out another 9 rounds from the mag onto the counter. The employee turned white as a ghost...

The other story is from a store in Colorado. I was on a business trip and went to see what the local inventory was like. As I'm browsing the store, in walks a married couple. Both slim/small and petite and in their early 20s. They were looking for their very first gun. The guy behind the counter extolled the wonderful virtues of the M&P Shield 45. According to him, it was the best thing since sliced bread. The couple left the store without buying it. As they walked out, I followed them into the parking lot. I struck up a conversation with them. Turns out neither of them had ever shot a gun before and wanted something for self defense. I suggested a class at a local shooting range that had a good reputation according to my co-workers. And suggested something smaller than a .45 cal as their first gun to ever shoot. By the way, this store used to be showcased in a reality gun TV show that was suddenly shelved and they lost their FFL due to some AFT issues...

View Quote

wasn't it b/c of IRS issues? that daughter had some cans.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:37:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By bigfignewton:

Lighten up Francis.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bigfignewton:
Originally Posted By distrflman:

I point out the magazines are down that aisle.

Lighten up Francis.

But I am light, correct and wave as they leave.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:48:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 556NAT0] [#8]
Originally Posted By buck19delta:
Another time, in a pawn shop. Customer asks to see a 357 snubby, clerk hands it to him and turns around to do something, customer starts loading pistol from bullets in his pocket. Im behind him, put my hand on my ccw , clerk sees him an instant later, “ HEY YOU CANT DO THAT !  Customer stops loading and goes, . Sorry, just wanted to see if my ammo fit it. Clerk was super pissed, and me relieved I didn’t have to shoot this dude in the back. WTF.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By buck19delta:
Another time, in a pawn shop. Customer asks to see a 357 snubby, clerk hands it to him and turns around to do something, customer starts loading pistol from bullets in his pocket. Im behind him, put my hand on my ccw , clerk sees him an instant later, “ HEY YOU CANT DO THAT !  Customer stops loading and goes, . Sorry, just wanted to see if my ammo fit it. Clerk was super pissed, and me relieved I didn’t have to shoot this dude in the back. WTF.

I've never had anyone actually do that, but a handful of times guys would just pull guns out of their waistbands (no holster and I'd gamble no CCW) and ask if they could try putting the ammo I was showing them into the gun to make sure it fits.

I did work with one guy who showed a "customer" a 92FS, customer pulled a loaded mag from his pocket, loaded the gun, pointed it at him and told him "I am walking out with this, don't try to stop me". Guy decided a 92FS that wasn't even his is not worth his life, nor anyone else's.

Originally Posted By anesvick:
People that walk up to me and say one word to me like I'm a fucking AI bot piss me off.

What pisses me of are the guys who don't even talk. They have a gun on layaway they want to pick up, I ask how can I help you and they just throw their layaway paper at me. Seriously happens all the time. I ignore it and force them to tell me what they want.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:55:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By xviperx420:
"yall sell body armor?"
"No, why do you need it?"
"Ask me no questions, and ill tell you no lies". "get the fuck out and dont come back".
View Quote

This is the second time on this site I've seen a reference to someone getting unnecessarily assmad over that line.
Lighten up Francis
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:55:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Good thread, but @JaredGrey gun store threads are the best.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:11:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Sajer:
Customer - I need some .40

Customer - whats the best pistol
Me - well Rugers are fucking awesome ( ruger points days for free guns) and like GD nuclear bombs
Customer -
Me - no I will give you a good deal on a ruger today if you are interested
View Quote

Well I'm with the customer on that. Ruger handguns fucking suck.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:49:34 AM EDT
[#12]
LGS manager did minor gunsmithing on customer guns.
Simple things like bore sight, scope mount, cleaning,etc.
one day I’m visiting. Shooting the breeze with him.
He has a gun broken down on the counter.
While he is doing this the phone rings.
He answers with the phone on speaker. Hello. LGS. How can I help you?
Caller is looking for a “clip for muh Glock”?
Yes we have Glock magazines. Which Glock do you have?
9mm.
Sir there are several different 9mm Glock magazines. I need to know which model pistol you have to get you the correct one.
Caller “I done tolt yew it’s ah 9mm.”
Again trying to explain why more info is needed so as to get the correct mag.
Caller starts raging about what a stupid MF’er gunshop guy is. Yelling at him.
I’m talking RAGING. Hillbilly must of thought he was being dissed or something.
LGS guy finally said sorry can’t help you and hung up in mid rage.
He tells me he gets calls like that all the time.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:03:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Jm11513:

Well I'm with the customer on that. Ruger handguns fucking suck.
View Quote

I wouldn't go as far as that. Though I'm not a fan of most of Ruger's handgun lines, there are a few that I like. Their Mark IV's are pretty good and like their 10/22's are heavily supported by various vendors to make them into whatever you want them to be. I also like the Vaquero models and though I don't own one but have tried them, their 1911's are okay. For D/A's I go S&W but that's simply personal preference.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:09:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By R2point0:
What if he had walked up to the counter and blurted out "Colt"? How would that have been any more clear?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By R2point0:
Originally Posted By Badlatitude:
I mean... He was looking at 1911s is it really his fault you didn't know what a Wilson was? It's not like its an obscure unknown company.
What if he had walked up to the counter and blurted out "Colt"? How would that have been any more clear?
Both would have been pretty clear to me. Sure, he should have been more clear, but it didn't seem to be that hard to figure out.  In reading OPs post, I knew what the dude wanted.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:25:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Amped:
Had this tall ass guy and his daughter come in the other day to buy him a gun. His 7’ foot tall kid was trying to help him fill out his 4473. Almost had to eject them for a straw purchase.
View Quote

😂😂😂
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:56:09 AM EDT
[#16]
He says "Wilson"
I look back at him and say "Combat".
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:34:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By centrarchidae:

Let me guess, 87 blown-up photos in the store of the owner humping various people's legs and one sitting on a Harley with his then-wife?

If so, the part where your story breaks down is with that tiresome nutsack suggesting a gun that isn't a 1911 with shitty engraving. Although the rest sounds exactly like the crap he'd do.
View Quote

You forgot the giraffe.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:39:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: drcook] [#18]
At one point in my career, I was a part time insurance agent (main gig writing software for Fortune 500 companies). I had a gunstore/shooting range as a client. Actually a sweetheart deal for both of us. He paid his premium(s), I got my commission (yes every time you pay your ins prem the agent gets paid, thats how the business works) so when I got paid, I bought a gun(s) and he got some money back.

One day we get a call. One of his dumb#ss behind the counter guys took a pistol into the range to test it. Brought it back out, laid it on the counter and went over and starting checking people out at the register.

A customer walks over to said pistol, picks it up, sticks finger over muzzle, pulls trigger and Shazzam, No More End of Finger.  The insurance paid the claim, dropped him and we could never get him insurance again.

Subsequently the carelessness continued and the ATF came to inspect the books, couldn't find a gun (double booked or whatever) and yanked his license. He moved across town and opened a shop using someone else's license. When the ATF found out, they told the real FFL holder, "You are done today". The shop closed immediately.

Another local shop actually had no insurance, he was operating out of the back room of his print shop. He had a bunch of guns in on consignment from manufacturers, etc.  One night someone pitched a concrete block through a window. Didn't enter the shop. They were timing how long it took for the police to get there. Two weeks later they cleaned the place out.  Even after that he wasn't locking inventory up at night.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:41:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By drcook:
At one point in my career, I was a part time insurance agent (main gig writing software for Fortune 500 companies). I had a gunstore/shooting range as a client. Actually a sweetheart deal for both of us. He paid his premium(s), I got my commission (yes every time you pay your ins prem the agent gets paid, thats how the business works) so when I got paid, I bought a gun(s) and he got some money back.

One day we get a call. One of his dumb#ss behind the counter guys took a pistol into the range to test it. Brought it back out, laid it on the counter and went over and starting checking people out at the register.

A customer walks over to said pistol, picks it up, sticks finger over muzzle, pulls trigger and Shazzam, No More End of Finger.  The insurance paid the claim, dropped him and we could never get him insurance again.

Subsequently the carelessness continued and the ATF came to inspect the books, couldn't find a gun (double booked or whatever) and yanked his license. He moved across town and opened a shop using someone else's license. When the ATF found out, they told the real FFL holder, "You are done today". The shop closed immediately.

Another local shop actually had no insurance, he was operating out of the back room of his print shop. He had a bunch of guns in on consignment from manufacturers, etc.  One night someone pitched a concrete block through a window. Didn't enter the shop. They were timing how long it took for the police to get there. Two weeks later they cleaned the place out.  Even after that he wasn't locking inventory up at night.
View Quote

Damn, you've been a member for 49 months and this is where you choose to make your first post? You've really been waiting to tell that story. LOL
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:52:15 AM EDT
[#20]
My fiancee worked at a shop for over a decade. That shop had one suicide from someone "test fitting" ammo before anyone could come over the counter and one attempted that jacked off 3 rounds of 32ACP to the skull, all 3 caught by the scalp and the biggest dude in the shop, 6'04" and ~300lbs flattened him to the floor and removed the gun. That one was not a display gun but the guys CHL. Apparently guns shops are a good place the try to off yourself?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:59:01 AM EDT
[#21]
I have never worked at a gun store, but spend way too much time in them. The LGS nearest me is excellent. Great guys, helpful....they had one condescending prick and he was gone in about a week.

I was in there one day buying a case of .45....I was paying at the counter, and a youngster employee was getting ready to carry it to my truck for me, when this youngish guy walks in, all dressed in black. Black boots, pants, shirt, and black brimmed Indiana Jones type hat. He is wearing a duty rig with a Glock and AT LEAST 6 magazines on the belt. He walks in, and stands at the entrance just staring. He honestly looked like he was on the line at an IDPA match waiting for the beep. He stands like that for probably a full minute.

Everyone that noticed him kinda fell back to cover/concealment and just waited.  One of the employees (maybe the owner, I don't remember) asks him if he needs anything. The guy just turns around and leaves. Nothing happened.....but bizarre.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:12:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By HellifIknow:
Sir there are several different 9mm Glock magazines. I need to know which model pistol you have to get you the correct one.
Caller “I done tolt yew it’s ah 9mm.”

View Quote

I already told my story of a guy looking for a front sight for his “30-06”.  

Bet every type of store experiences this type of customer.    I can see an auto parts place getting a call “I need an oil filter for my blue car”
…whats the year, make and model?

“God damn you dumb!!! I already told you.  Its a BLUE CAR!!!!”
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:12:40 AM EDT
[#23]
From the other side.
Neighbor bought a crappy Turkish bullpup 12 gauge, put a few rounds through it and realized it was an awkward POS and decides he wants an AR instead.
He found one at a LGS and wanted to trade his POS for an AR. On the drive there I kept telling him that he was not getting anything near what he paid for it as the dealer would likely have to carry it for a long time before selling it and their paperwork and fees meant he would be lucky to get half of what he paid.
Look at a used AR (which was priced like a new one) and he asks what they will give him for his shotty, counter guy checks and says $130 on trade in.
At this point the neighbor says "Are you going to kiss me, because I like to be kissed when I am getting fucked"
Surprised the counter guy didn't throw him out, I know that I would have.
Neighbor is retired Army Intel.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:20:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Other side of the counter in a pawn shop, young man from the nearby reservation is finger banging a pocket pistol wit da beamz and prattling on about how he's going to get his federal concealed carry permit. The guy behind the counter and I look at each other and roll our eyes in unison.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:22:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Back when the Blue Sky M1 Garands came into the country I went in a shop in Pinson, AL with the cash to buy. They had been advertising heavily in Shotgun News that they had them. Sure enough they had a couple of racks of M!s behind the counter. They had an employee, whom several friends of mine and I forever refer to as "The Character" who was sitting at a desk behind the counter, feet up, on the phone and smoking like a freight train. Granted I was 18/19 years old, but had my 40 year old uncle with me. After being seen (he did look our way and made eye contact) and ignored for far too long my unle asked for the cash (all 20 dollar bills as I had saved up) which I handed to him. My uncle fans the 300/400 dollars in 20s out and says loudly, "we were spending money today, but I guess you run your business differently" and we turned and headed to the door. The Character only then reacted (we also were the only customers in the store) and tried to say something to get us to stop, my uncle then said something to the effect of "Cluck You," but that isn't what he said. I bought a Garand that day at a different shop.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:28:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By JimEb:

Bet every type of store experiences this type of customer.    I can see an auto parts place getting a call “I need an oil filter for my blue car”

View Quote

Part store clerk: Four cylinder or six cylinder engine?

Customer: I dunno, how do you tell the difference?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:32:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By FighterFixer1:

*Snip*

We notified the boss (Jamin) and handed over the parts no idea what ever came of that, but we all speculated that if it wasn't a huge mistake by the vendor, it was an ATF attempt to knock PSA out of business.

View Quote

All I'm going to say is that I'd never want to own a gun shop in today's political climate, but God bless the people that do and put up with that shit so that we can buy them.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:33:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By M4BlackRifle:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By M4BlackRifle:
Originally Posted By JimEb:

Some of the questions they ask are pretty fucking tarded, though.

"I need a set of wiper blades for my 2019 Nissan Frontier."

"Is that a 4x4 or 2x4? What size bed does it have? What color interior?"
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:39:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By uafgrad:

Another time, we had a customer special order 2 Grendel pistols.  Ordered them directly from Grendel.
Pistols arrive, one is fully loaded with a round in the chamber.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:52:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By SiVisPacem:

View Quote

They need to make all these selections in whatever software they're using to get to the correct part number.
Try buying your wiper blades on Rockauto, you'll have to select your submodel before you get to them.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:58:36 AM EDT
[#31]
3 years ago there was a small gun  shop next town over.  They had A “ barrel of guns “ deal going once a year. Rifles and shotguns, were sold as non functioning.  They didn’t have time to look at them or inspect them. Mostly older stuff.  I got a few 22 rifles that shot great just a few cycling issues easily fixed. An old 520 Steven’s 12gauge that had a broken firing pin.  Don’t think I paid more than $40 with a background check for a rifle or shotgun out of the barrel.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:07:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Alex9661:

They need to make all these selections in whatever software they're using to get to the correct part number.
Try buying your wiper blades on Rockauto, you'll have to select your submodel before you get to them.
View Quote

Yep. It's not their choice. There is no option to look it up by part type.

It's a minimum of make, model, year and driveline type before they can see any part numbers.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:12:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

It's a minimum of make, model, year and driveline type before they can see any part numbers.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:
Originally Posted By Alex9661:

That's true, and many times it's necessary information, even when it seems irrelevant.

I know how it works, but you can find some guys there with common sense. My old car has an engine it wasn't built with, many aftermarket parts, and a bunch of junkyard stuff cobbled together. When I needed an accessory belt, I went to my nearby chain Auto parts store and said "please step away from the computer and listen to me for a minute."

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:15:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:15:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By gearjammer351:

That's true, and many times it's necessary information, even when it seems irrelevant.

I know how it works, but you can find some guys there with common sense. My old car has an engine it wasn't built with, many aftermarket parts, and a bunch of junkyard stuff cobbled together. When I needed an accessory belt, I went to my nearby chain Auto parts store and said "please step away from the computer and listen to me for a minute."

View Quote

I had a couple of custom S-10s where it was like that. I used various GM parts from the 80s and 90s and had to learn driveline options so I could get the right parts. My friends and I used to go to junk yards to check out old cars and hypothesize about what we could swap in what for fun. One of them ended up the store manager at our local Auto Zone.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:19:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By SiVisPacem:

View Quote

My favorite is "what's it going on" when I give them a part number. Nope, not gonna find that part number under what it is going in. Motor swaps are fun when I go to the parts store.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:22:52 AM EDT
[#37]
I managed a convenience store in late 80s .. I used to get phone calls asking me to check the news paper to see who won the football or baseball game , or if it’s going to rain … direction to the airport…,
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:23:42 AM EDT
[#38]
I do love when customers come in to pick up their transfers.

"I'm here to pick up my gun."

"Sure, what it is?"

"9mm"

I'll smile and try to be patient.  "Okay, can you be more specific?"

"I bought it from XYZ online."

Sigh. "Brand?"

Customer's eye glaze over and I practice a breathing exercise.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:29:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:26:56 PM EDT
[#40]
At an indoor shooting range in a spotty neighborhood in California in the 90s.

A guy finds out his wife is cheating on him and follows her. He watches her with this other guy for most of an afternoon. The other guy drops her off at her car and continues driving. Hubby follows him, the guy pulls into our range. He's a member, he has his own gun and ammo and goes out to shoot.

Hubby walks up to the counter, rents a Beretta, ear pro, eye pro, box of ammo and a target. He sets up next to the guy who's been banging his wife.

He fires a few rounds at the target, turns to his right and shoots the guy. Turns back to the target and fires a few more rounds, then shoots a few more rounds into the dead guy laying next to him. A few more back on target, a few more to the dead guy. He finally places the gun under his chin and kills himself.

I wasn't working the day it happened, apparently the guy running the range just stared at the whole thing in shock as it went down. He gave a complete play by play but was powerless to act out of fear. He had some kind of breakdown over it.

The range quickly adopted a new policy of not letting loners rent a gun, unless they had another gun with them. They still had a few more suicides there until they finally shut down in 2004.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:04:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By brownbomber:

How was Johnny Carson able to make a call a few minutes after he had left the store, in 1984?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Z_0:
I have a story from in front of the gun counter.

I was purchasing a gun and holster from a small gun store in Santa Monica, CA in 1984.  There was one long counter that I was facing, with my back to the door.  I was working with salesman 1 while salesman 2 was doing something else.  Nobody else was in the store.

I had just decided to purchase a Smith and Wesson Model 27 when the door opened.  3 attractive women and an older man walked in.  The man was in the middle of the group.  They didn’t appear to be a threat so I ignored them as they came up to the counter beside me.  Salesman 2 began talking to them.

Salesman 1 took me to the opposite end of the counter where we looked at holsters.  There was a phone there.  It rang and salesman 1 picked it up.  Just as he picked it up, salesman 2 walked over and whispered “Hey, that is Johnny Carson!”.  Salesman 1 looked at the phone and said “No it isn’t.”  Salesman 2 said “NO.  That is Johnny Carson.”  Salesman 1 then shouted “THIS IS NOT JOHNNY CARSON!”.  Salesman 2 walked back to the other group.

Salesman 1 and I then walked back to where we were before, next to the group of people.  Suddenly, Salesman 1 shouted “HEY  YOU ARE JOHNNY CARSON!”  I looked at the older man that had walked in and it was Johnny Carson.  Salesman 1 started telling Mr. Carson how great he was and asking for autographs for all of his relatives.  Mr. Carson hurried up and finished his business (he wanted a handgun cleaned), then left in a hurry.  He seemed irritated with all of the hubub.

A few minutes after they left, the phone rang.  Salesman 1 answers with “Cole’s gunstore, gunstore of JOHNNY CARSON!”, imitating Ed McMahon.  Then he quietly said “Oh.  Yes Mr. Carson.  We will have that ready for you Monday morning.”

How was Johnny Carson able to make a call a few minutes after he had left the store, in 1984?

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:21:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Dru:

View All Quotes

I was purchasing a gun and holster from a small gun store in Santa Monica, CA in 1984.  There was one long counter that I was facing, with my back to the door.  I was working with salesman 1 while salesman 2 was doing something else.  Nobody else was in the store.

I had just decided to purchase a Smith and Wesson Model 27 when the door opened.  3 attractive women and an older man walked in.  The man was in the middle of the group.  They didn’t appear to be a threat so I ignored them as they came up to the counter beside me.  Salesman 2 began talking to them.

Salesman 1 took me to the opposite end of the counter where we looked at holsters.  There was a phone there.  It rang and salesman 1 picked it up.  Just as he picked it up, salesman 2 walked over and whispered “Hey, that is Johnny Carson!”.  Salesman 1 looked at the phone and said “No it isn’t.”  Salesman 2 said “NO.  That is Johnny Carson.”  Salesman 1 then shouted “THIS IS NOT JOHNNY CARSON!”.  Salesman 2 walked back to the other group.

Salesman 1 and I then walked back to where we were before, next to the group of people.  Suddenly, Salesman 1 shouted “HEY  YOU ARE JOHNNY CARSON!”  I looked at the older man that had walked in and it was Johnny Carson.  Salesman 1 started telling Mr. Carson how great he was and asking for autographs for all of his relatives.  Mr. Carson hurried up and finished his business (he wanted a handgun cleaned), then left in a hurry.  He seemed irritated with all of the hubub.

A few minutes after they left, the phone rang.  Salesman 1 answers with “Cole’s gunstore, gunstore of JOHNNY CARSON!”, imitating Ed McMahon.  Then he quietly said “Oh.  Yes Mr. Carson.  We will have that ready for you Monday morning.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_DynaTAC
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:50:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By countryflatlander:

You forgot the giraffe.
View All Quotes

Let me guess, 87 blown-up photos in the store of the owner humping various people's legs and one sitting on a Harley with his then-wife?

If so, the part where your story breaks down is with that tiresome nutsack suggesting a gun that isn't a 1911 with shitty engraving. Although the rest sounds exactly like the crap he'd do.

You forgot the giraffe.

You are, of course, correct. IYKYK.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:14:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Westmalle8:
Back when the Blue Sky M1 Garands came into the country I went in a shop in Pinson, AL with the cash to buy. They had been advertising heavily in Shotgun News that they had them. Sure enough they had a couple of racks of M!s behind the counter. They had an employee, whom several friends of mine and I forever refer to as "The Character" who was sitting at a desk behind the counter, feet up, on the phone and smoking like a freight train. Granted I was 18/19 years old, but had my 40 year old uncle with me. After being seen (he did look our way and made eye contact) and ignored for far too long my unle asked for the cash (all 20 dollar bills as I had saved up) which I handed to him. My uncle fans the 300/400 dollars in 20s out and says loudly, "we were spending money today, but I guess you run your business differently" and we turned and headed to the door. The Character only then reacted (we also were the only customers in the store) and tried to say something to get us to stop, my uncle then said something to the effect of "Cluck You," but that isn't what he said. I bought a Garand that day at a different shop.
View Quote

Had kind of a similar experience at a local gun show.

Had some money in my pocket as was unsure of anything but the fact that I was going to buy a gun of some sort.

Ran across a guy selling some AKs and asked to look at the under folder. Dude spazzed and asked if I was going to buy or what. I told him "I'm not now. Not from you, anyways." You'd think I asked to shoot it or something.

Found a M1 Garand I like and and I didn't have one yet, so I bought it.  

I made it a point to go by Mr. personality and thank him for making up my mind.

Also went into the local gun store with well over a thousand on me, looking to buy something cool. Dude have nothing in the cases and didn't seem particularly interested in trying to get my money from me, so I bought elsewhere. This is the same guy who I couldn't get interested in ordering a DPMS .308. Said he'd never heard of DPMS and was plainly not going to put any effort into finding out who they were or if any of his distributors had them. Guess where I bought that time?

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:16:02 PM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes

You forgot the giraffe.

What the heck was that guy and girl's name?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:19:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By subcomunic8r:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/7c/f2/ad/7cf2ad721011524b08c1e0b513005efd.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_DynaTAC

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:39:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By cpermd:

View Quote

Paige Wyatt
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:43:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: centrarchidae] [#48]

View All Quotes

You forgot the giraffe.

The douchebag was Rich Wyatt, former owner of Gunsmoke Guns in Wheat Ridge, CO, former star of American Guns, former and still self-promoting egomaniacal douchefag, former (and probably current) scam artist, convicted felon, and father of a girl with a very impressive neck who I'm not going to drag any further into this because none of us really choose our parents.

(and yes, I do personally know the cocksucker well enough to say that about him. Although calling him a cocksucker seems like it would be very disrespectful to the men who fix our affordable Korean automobiles.)
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:05:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AK47_COMMBLOC] [#49]
thats a typical transaction with joe public at gun shows back in the day. nothing out of the ordinary really.

my craziest stories of being a gun show vendor during the hay day are as follows...

sometime before obama took office not sure what year it was for a date exactly but a lady that im almost 100% certain was diane fienstien walks into hara arena dayton ohio bill goodman gunshow and looks over my tables of ak parts and says...

YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF!!! i just looked at her silently then looked over my tables then back at her and said what? then she let out another big terror voiced... HOW COULD YOU? YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF!!! again i repeated the same looked over my tables and said what! what? she got closer to my face and said YOU! LOOK AT ALL THIS!!! something to the effect of i was a bad person yadda yadda yadda.

she had 2 guys following her around in plain clothes they must have been her security detail they were silent the whole time and both stood about 6 to 8 feet back one on each side of her. i looked at them and the one guy just smiled real big. lol. they both stuck out like a sore thumb because she came when the show was dead and almost nobody around.

they all walked on to harrass other vendors and later on the gun show came under a devoted attack by ny gov bloomberg and goodman was forced to stop selling guns at show unless ffl. i just did parts and accys so was unaffected but the guns kept going off inside show almost every other show is why i quit. it just got too hot.

at that same show i have enough stories to write a book and all my gunshows combined i could write an awe inspiring archive. ive seen so many atf entraptment operations i could write a book just on that topic. ive had some rather unusual interactions with all types.

some of the craziest stories come from outdoor events of course. ive pretty much seen it all feels like. definitely watch your 6 and assume nothing. joe public can get real. like quick! im going to stop there while im ahead. enough said.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:16:00 PM EDT
[#50]

The douchebag was Rich Wyatt, former owner of Gunsmoke Guns in Wheat Ridge, CO, former star of American Guns, former and still self-promoting egomaniacal douchefag, former (and probably current) scam artist, convicted felon, and father of a girl with a very impressive neck who I'm not going to drag any further into this because none of us really choose our parents.

(and yes, I do personally know the cocksucker well enough to say that about him. Although calling him a cocksucker seems like it would be very disrespectful to the men who fix our affordable Korean automobiles.)
View All Quotes

You forgot the giraffe.

He wasn’t her real father. Her real father’s name is Grewcock.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top