[#1]
tagged to see more abuse for the sake of knowledge...gets me all fuzzy inside
Link Posted: 2/3/2005 8:24:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Tag. Better yours then mine.
Link Posted: 2/3/2005 9:00:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

To start I’m going to drive by my friends house at 35mph(I wanted 50, but since he has to watch where it lands, we agreed on 35), and toss it into the ditch alongside the road.  It will sit there for a few day days until I decide what it do next.
After every form of abuse, I plan on firing 100rds. of S&B 230gr ball ammo.

[John Flandervern, a convicted rapist/murder and child molester, is walking down the side of the road when he notices something in the bushes]

"HEY, A GLOCK! I've been wanting to rob a store!"

At least put it in your backyard, for christ's sake.
Link Posted: 2/3/2005 9:21:19 PM EDT
[#4]
We are respectable professionals, you know...

Be well!
Link Posted: 2/3/2005 9:59:43 PM EDT
[#5]
tag to confirm my beliefs that GLOCK is a superior pistol
Link Posted: 2/3/2005 10:07:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 2/3/2005 10:50:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
You didn't mention putting it in the hole of a Port-A-Pottie.  Sloshing around in piss and shit should be a good test.  Be sure to let someone else shoot it after you take it out though!

I don't think that raw sewage is even close to sand when it comes to torture testing a firearm.  Liquid is liquid.  I routinely drop my Glocks(19 & 26) in the sand (because that's what's around my range) while performing "New York reloads".  Never had a malf as a result.

Wasn't there an article or thread somewhere where some guy claimed he put glocks and 1911s in sand and the 1911s worked while the Glocks didn't? I never really bought it and can't remember where I saw it though (1911forum maybe)?

Yeah right, Larry Vickers is a blow hard!

Larry Vickers

Sand Test
Just had a chance to do a harsh sand test on few different handguns. This test was not scientific but was very enlightening.

Pistols tested were; HK USP
Customized 1911
rack grade GI 1911
Glock 21

Test consisted of placing each pistol loaded in a Bianchi GI field holster inside a plastic bag with approx 2 cups of fine/medium grit sand ( North Carolina type). Then the bag was shaken vigorously for 10 seconds while holding onto the pistol butt for safety. The pistol was then taken out and 3 mags were fired through the 1911 and 2 fully loaded mags were fired through the HK and Glock - roughly the same amount of ammo. The sand coverage was very good and uniformly covered the pistols. The pistols were loaded in the mode you would expect in a field environment - condition 3 for the 1911, loaded for the Glock and loaded in DA mode for the USP.A test was done dry and lubed with TW 25B. This test represented EXTREME sand conditions - not normal field use, even in sandy conditions.A brief rundown of the results follow;

1)Carrying your gun dry in this environment is a NO GO despite what some will say. All pistols performed worse dry than lubed.

2)All pistols required some manipulation in order to fire - none would function normally straight out of the holster.

3)Overall the HK USP performed the best - the performance of it dry was roughly the same as the customized 1911 but was definately the best lubed. Overall it performed well.

4)The custom 1911 was second - interestingly enough the trigger track was not a real problem - the sand that went in through the ejection port to the bottom lugs area caused the most problems. Once the sand shifted in this area the pistol functioned better.

5)The rack grade GI 1911 was a distant third - the custom 1911 had an 18 pound recoil spring and that helped with feeding greatly vs the rack grade gun. Swap out the recoil spring and it probably would have done better.

6)The shocker of the day - the Glock 21 FAILED terribly. The big problem was failure of the trigger to reset. Also at times the pistol would not fire due to sand in the trigger mechanism. The dry test could not even be completed with the Glock due to this.This surprised all of us as we expected the Glock to do quite well.

Moral of the story; The 1911, even in its customized mode, can get the job done if you set it up to succeed. Lube it right, carry it in the right holster and in the proper mode, and it won't let you down - just like it hasn't for nearly a 100 years.

The HK USP series are good guns - well designed and well made - for service pistols. The ergonomics hurt the pistol dramatically but for an out of the box service pistol/field gun, they get my endorsement.

The Glock 21 is a dog - always has been. It has the rep of being the worst gun Glock makes. I have a Glock 17 and 19 and like them for what they are - but don't get sucked into the Glock hype - they are not magical guns. Remember what your dad said when you were in 3rd grade; don't believe everything you read.

Hope you got something out of this - I did.

Link Posted: 2/4/2005 4:04:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 6:39:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Lets give Larry $600 to buy a 1911, and 100K rounds to put through it before the tests. The only thing hes allowed to replace is 1 recoil spring.   Did he do this with the slide open or closed? Cocked and locked with a round in the chamber, or empty chamber hammer down?
What has amazed me, is my glock has over 150K rounds through it, and I dont have more than $600 invested in it.
I think a custom 1911 would do well - fit as they are, theres no way for $hit to get into anything. I like 1911s a lot more than I like Glocks, but from my experience this Glock its just as reliable as something I could have paid more than twice as much.  
I'll re-attempt the sand test with glass bead blasting media.  Its finer than the play sand and should be interesting.

I haven't said thanks for posting this, so I do now.  This is one of the two threads in here that are actually worth reading.  The other one is Lumpy's MEUSOC thread.  

I appreciate testing without an agenda and I really like the fact that you aren't trying to "prove" anything.  

This is great, thank you again.

I really don't need to see a cut-and-paste of a test with an obvious agenda.  That's just insulting and lazy.

G23c
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 1:42:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

To start I’m going to drive by my friends house at 35mph(I wanted 50, but since he has to watch where it lands, we agreed on 35), and toss it into the ditch alongside the road.  It will sit there for a few day days until I decide what it do next.

Am I the only one that caught this? You are planning on throwing a handgun in a ditch, in a neighborhood mind you, and leave it there for a few days? Does that sound really dangerous to anyone else? Leaving a gun in a ditch seems a little irresponsible. What if a kid or a crazy picked it up? I'm sure it's not loaded but still.

Anyway, great test! Very informative/creative
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 4:54:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I got nothing out of it except that the ONE pistol failed in that ONE test against ONE of each brand. If he repeated the test 5 or 6 times with a few of each brand, then it might be something to look at. I find this post to be more informative. It may only be one pistol but it's a series of really horrible tests over a few years time. Not exactly scientific but I think it's as close as anyone's going to get without putting some serious money into it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 9:33:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 1:19:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 3:23:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 4:40:23 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I got nothing out of it except that the ONE pistol failed in that ONE test against ONE of each brand. If he repeated the test 5 or 6 times with a few of each brand, then it might be something to look at. I find this post to be more informative. It may only be one pistol but it's a series of really horrible tests over a few years time. Not exactly scientific but I think it's as close as anyone's going to get without putting some serious money into it.

Let me add that we all know Larry Vickers isn't a fan of Glocks so right away you see his bias.  I'm more inclined to listen to someone that has extensive experience with both, like Steve.  Steve has stated numerous times that he likes his 1911s more but still he has 150K through the G21.  Sounded like Vickers ran a few magazines through each and declared the 1911 the winner...no surprise there considering he makes his living with 1911s.  I have a feeling that if Steve had the time to test the same makes/brands of pistols like he's testing this G21 we'd all get something out of it
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 4:41:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 5:10:24 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Great thread...I love torture tests

One thing I noticed about the videos (not saying this has anything with it being a Glock, maybe any handgun would do that in these tests), but did you notice the inconsistancy in the slide cycling rate?  Most shots the camera didnt even catch the slide cycling, but every couple of shots it appeared really sluggish.

Or maybe its just 3am and my eyes are old.

I noticed it as well. I just attributed that to the video quality.
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 11:11:15 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
You didn't mention putting it in the hole of a Port-A-Pottie.  Sloshing around in piss and shit should be a good test.  Be sure to let someone else shoot it after you take it out though!

I don't think that raw sewage is even close to sand when it comes to torture testing a firearm.  Liquid is liquid.  I routinely drop my Glocks(19 & 26) in the sand (because that's what's around my range) while performing "New York reloads".  Never had a malf as a result.

Wasn't there an article or thread somewhere where some guy claimed he put glocks and 1911s in sand and the 1911s worked while the Glocks didn't? I never really bought it and can't remember where I saw it though (1911forum maybe)?

Yeah right, Larry Vickers is a blow hard!

The Glock 21 is a dog - always has been. It has the rep of being the worst gun Glock makes. I have a Glock 17 and 19 and like them for what they are - but don't get sucked into the Glock hype - they are not magical guns. Remember what your dad said when you were in 3rd grade; don't believe everything you read.

I said he was a blowhard where exactliy?

I would like to hear him try to support his comments about the 21.

Where did I type that you had indicated such?  Please do not read your unfounded assumptions into my text.

I pasted the article with which, I believed you were referring, nothing more.

Link Posted: 2/5/2005 12:24:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 12:49:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Holy shit...does it still fire?
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 12:53:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 1:04:02 PM EDT
[#22]
I think you've made your point.
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 1:04:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Wow!  Impressive work!
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 1:37:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 1:38:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 1:48:55 PM EDT
[#26]
I can't wait to see you shoot the Springfield Pro.
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 2:03:19 PM EDT
[#27]
WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!  
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 2:44:38 PM EDT
[#28]
An idle mind...

Be well!
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 3:08:11 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Just a .22 pistol 30' away. I didnt expect it to do any damage, if we hit where we were aiming. Hit it 10 times before I lost my nerve and didnt want to risk hitting the frame. One hit the extractor, but didnt hurt anything...

It's finally official:  GLOCKS ARE BULLET-PROOF!!!

Link Posted: 2/5/2005 3:19:17 PM EDT
[#30]
I think it looks kinda neat with that new Bullet Impact Finish.
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 3:21:37 PM EDT
[#31]
What kind of damage did it do to the finish?  Clean it up and post pictures please.
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 6:49:32 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

You crazy fucker...

+1

Shit, I'm never gonna hear the end of this thread from hell from Aimless
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 6:51:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Hmmmm, how does it stand up to SS109?  
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 7:05:13 PM EDT
[#34]
tag
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 7:09:32 PM EDT
[#35]
I love Glocks. Love 1911s too, but a Kimber or or top of the line SA ain't gonna hold up like that G21.
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 7:18:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Soak it in MEK and then do the test without lube.  Get some rocksalt and stick it inside the slide around the barrel, then install the slide so as to keep the salt inside.  Get a couple guys and a bunch of mags together and see if you can get the pistol hot enough to cook off a round.  Lastly, store it in a flowerpot buried in dirt when youre not shooting it, and make sure to keep the ChiaPet well watered.  Thats all I can really think of, everything else would just be filthy and make the gun stink.  You could cast some bullets with sand mixed into the lead, see if that does anything.
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 7:23:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 7:27:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 7:27:47 PM EDT
[#39]
This thread is amazing! In the name of science. There must be some kind of award for you.
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 8:18:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 10:16:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 10:34:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Jeezus H. Chriiiist Steve!

I really wish I had seen this thread earlier......I also kinda
wish i did'nt get rid of my G17 and G22-both of which were utterly
reliable guns.

BTW-Steve, I know you are gonna' have this one on display @ the funshop.....that is,
whenever you cease with the "Glock Rapage."
I've always known Glocks are quite the resiliant beast, but I've really gotta'see this one with my own eyes
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 11:25:24 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I think you can take the slide off the frame

Unless you're going to shoot it out of a cannon or feed it to a shark I'm not sure what's left

Have cyanide sit on it?

I'm truthfully very impressed by the Glock's durability. I never thought the slide would be able to take .22LR and just look like someone dropped it on concrete. It's barely even cosmetic damage.

Fuckin' awesome, this is getting bookmarked.

Link Posted: 2/5/2005 11:27:35 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Soak it in MEK and then do the test without lube.  Get some rocksalt and stick it inside the slide around the barrel, then install the slide so as to keep the salt inside.  Get a couple guys and a bunch of mags together and see if you can get the pistol hot enough to cook off a round.  Lastly, store it in a flowerpot buried in dirt when youre not shooting it, and make sure to keep the ChiaPet well watered.  Thats all I can really think of, everything else would just be filthy and make the gun stink.  You could cast some bullets with sand mixed into the lead, see if that does anything.

So YOU'RE how the "Glock kB" stories started...
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 3:52:30 AM EDT
[#45]
bigbore

I am a devoted fan of the Glock. I've always known they were tough, but you've taken it to a new extreme. Have you considered sending your test results to Glock?

When your done abusing that pistol, please send it to me, I'm establishing a shelter for abused Glocks and yours will be the first resident.
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 4:07:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 4:08:11 AM EDT
[#47]
I dont like Glocks, but after reading this thread I want to go buy one.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 4:29:46 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
bigbore
Have you considered sending your test results to Glock?

+1.  
I still think you should try the pig's blood thing.  I thought blood was baaaaad news for any metal/finish.  Of 'course after a good soaking in pig blood, maybe you should "donate" it to one of our guys in the sandbox.

Rich
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 5:47:15 AM EDT
[#49]
I think you might actually be driving the pirce of the glock up.  Since you can't break it after all.
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 5:57:05 AM EDT
[#50]
 I love this torture test...
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top