Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/30/2007 1:03:27 PM EDT
[#1]
height=8
Quoted:
If this range had opened without the bullshit "pay a hefty membership fee for the priviledge of paying again each visit" policy, I would have not only applauded them for opening in Central Ohio, but frequented and supported the place (and I don't need a place to shoot).

Their www site has been updated (http://www.bigdarbycreeksr.com/) and it sounds like the membership is optional, and another thread I read somewhere said it would be simply $12 for non-members to shoot:

The range is open to the public, but we also offer annual memberships for organizations, individuals and families. Membership benefits include (but are not limited to):
• Discounted range fees
• Retail store discount
• Discounted FFL transfer fees
• Discount on training class enrollment fees
Link Posted: 7/1/2007 2:36:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If this range had opened without the bullshit "pay a hefty membership fee for the priviledge of paying again each visit" policy, I would have not only applauded them for opening in Central Ohio, but frequented and supported the place (and I don't need a place to shoot).

Their www site has been updated (http://www.bigdarbycreeksr.com/) and it sounds like the membership is optional, and another thread I read somewhere said it would be simply $12 for non-members to shoot:

The range is open to the public, but we also offer annual memberships for organizations, individuals and families. Membership benefits include (but are not limited to):
• Discounted range fees
• Retail store discount
• Discounted FFL transfer fees
• Discount on training class enrollment fees

I think it was always optional for the membership. But, whatt sucks is buying a membership to a range, but that membership requires you to still pay for each visit. I have belonged to several shooting ranges over the years, and have NEVER heard of such a stupid policy.

It's not a membership, it's a discount club. Lame.
Link Posted: 7/1/2007 2:46:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Just like Sams Club, you pay them to shop in their store.
Link Posted: 7/1/2007 2:50:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Agreed.... maybe if they had a few FREE days per week for members to recoup the cost of joining it would make some sense.

ETA:  I'll still go a few times for the $12 bones.  For those of us that don't have our own backyard range(read: cityslickers) it seems like a good deal.
Link Posted: 7/1/2007 2:59:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Was by there today and they were closed.

Edit to add: I was riding by before 12:00 when they open on sundays.
Link Posted: 7/2/2007 7:32:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, I went there today and got the tour.  It is a nice range, their fee structure is a bit off IMHO but it is what they want.  I personally feel that the membership is for those that are bad at math.

The rifle range is a bit odd, you can shoot from 100 to 300 yards but there are only 3 shooting positions and you have to shoot through concrete pipes about 6 feet tall.  The rifle shooting line is in front of the clubhouse and you shoot past the clubhouse to the berm.  The club house is behind another berm in front of the firing line.  Kind of an odd setup.

The pistol bays are nice and wide but they are just bare dirt, if it rains they will only have one functional bay.  One bay is graveled and is really wide and nice and I think 50 yards deep.  They have lots of steel targets out there to shoot too.

The guy there that I talked to was really nice and helpful but I am not sure how well they are going to do.

If you are shooting there has to be a range safety officer at each bay, most folks will not dig that at all.

The stuff the are selling the club house is pretty cheap, targets were priced really well and it is well laid out but again I don't know how well it will do long term.

Over all I think I would rather join Pickaway County Sportsman's Club, $150 per year, I can shoot when ever I want, the ranges are in much better shape and it is about the same distance from my house.
Link Posted: 7/3/2007 7:12:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If you are shooting there has to be a range safety officer at each bay, most folks will not dig that at all.

LAME...  
Link Posted: 7/5/2007 1:32:51 AM EDT
[#8]
height=8
Quoted:

I think it was always optional for the membership. But, whatt sucks is buying a membership to a range, but that membership requires you to still pay for each visit. I have belonged to several shooting ranges over the years, and have NEVER heard of such a stupid policy.

It's not a membership, it's a discount club. Lame.

Fair enough, I just thought your original post mischaracterized their fee structure.  I agree that the membership does not add up though you seem to be rather adamantly opposed to something that is optional.  I think this membership discount fee structure is more common with clay target clubs, where there is an incremental cost to shooting a round, regardless of membership.

Anyway, as is often the case with startup businesses, they will probably not have things dead nuts perfect initially and adjustments will be made.
Link Posted: 7/6/2007 4:22:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok spent 4 hrs at the range today, and I am now a member.
Link Posted: 7/6/2007 6:03:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Please expand on the visit...
Link Posted: 7/14/2007 2:32:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok range is very nice out in the country but close to the city.

There is not a RSO for every lane/bay , but one for every area as there is 3 of them, the staff was very friendly and helpful. Membership fees plus hourly rate not the greatest, but I do not mind supporting a new range start up, as there rare very few if none to choose from in this area.

Really enjoyed my visit even ran into a few old shooting buddies that I have not seen in years.
Link Posted: 7/14/2007 6:18:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok range is very nice out in the country but close to the city.

There is not a RSO for every lane/bay , but one for every area as there is 3 of them, the staff was very friendly and helpful. Membership fees plus hourly rate not the greatest, but I do not mind supporting a new range start up, as there rare very few if none to choose from in this area.

Really enjoyed my visit even ran into a few old shooting buddies that I have not seen in years.

No kidding, I specifically asked when he said that and he specifically said one per bay.  That one bay is huge though so that may considered and area.

Honestly, I think one per bay is not a bad idea.  Some of the "gun play" I have seen at ranges my require several per bay.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top