Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/13/2006 5:12:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Perhaps forwarding the information to FDLE with a complaint that the responding Sunrise officers failed to act?

It very much appears that a serious dereliction of duty has taken place.

Not sure if it is the case in Florida, but in some jurisdictions the failure of a sworn officer to take appropriate action when a criminal act is reported is in itself a criminal act.

Matt
Link Posted: 8/13/2006 4:11:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I think we need to start a email campaingn to the CLEO at sunrise PD and the State attorneys office.

I will get the information if RevolverRO wants me too ... This really can not be ignored.
Link Posted: 8/13/2006 8:01:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Threaten to take it to the news

Oh god no please. We gun owners already have a bad enough image in the public eye. Imagine the crapola that will come of this?

ETA - I see you underlines the word threaten. That may be an option, but following up on that if need be will be disastrous.
Link Posted: 8/13/2006 11:46:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I think that, at this point, the original complainant only should make a call to the chief of Sunrise PD and speak to him/her. No talking to sergeants, no records clerks. Politely and calmly explaining the circumstances and the lack of a report thus far, and see what happens.
Link Posted: 8/14/2006 3:53:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Threaten to take it to the news

Oh god no please. We gun owners already have a bad enough image in the public eye. Imagine the crapola that will come of this?

ETA - I see you underlines the word threaten. That may be an option, but following up on that if need be will be disastrous.

Nope, thats why I underlined the word.  They might get their ass into gear and do the right thing if you just mention it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2006 4:39:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Hi, guys.  I talked to the clerk this weekend.  He called the PD again and got the same story.  No report has been completed yet.

Now the clerk is disillusioned and tired of the whole thing.  He says he's tired of getting the run-around and doesn't want to waste all his time trying to get action from a department that obviously isn't going to take it seriously.  In addition, he says he doesn't want to 'upset' anyone who may be in a position to terminate his employmnent--he feels if he makes a media case out of it, the county may find an 'excuse' to let him go.  

I understand his frustration, and I am trying to talk him into not letting it drop.  Out of resprect to him, I am letting him make the call on it.  Hopefully monday he will get an answer from these guys and there will be some news finally !!!

Link Posted: 8/14/2006 4:56:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Always carry... ALWAYS

Mike
Link Posted: 8/14/2006 4:57:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Between your described incident and this one. . .
www.mustbme.com/homosexual-activist-sunrise-florida-police-officer-stephen-allen-threatens-christians-near-fort-lauderdale.html
who know what else is/has been going on. Sure looks like the Sunrise Police Dept. is out of control. I would forget going to their Chief, BSO, or the SAO. Maybe a visit to your local FBI office would be in order.
Link Posted: 8/14/2006 6:28:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 7:10:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Damn.  I do hope he doesn't drop this.  That's a sure way for it to happen to someone else.
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 1:56:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Any updates?

Mike
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 2:42:07 PM EDT
[#12]
height=8
Quoted:
Damn.  I do hope he doesn't drop this.  That's a sure way for it to happen to someone else.

And a sure way to keep crappy LEOs on the job
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 4:14:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Call the Sheriff's Office.
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 6:52:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I called Sunrise PD records department this morning, and was advised that the
file was blank, and the "case was pulled in error". (Exactly what does this mean?).
They suggested I call the officer directly.
N2OGV
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 8:56:56 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
file was blank, and the "case was pulled in error". (Exactly what does this mean?).
N2OGV

Means the officer was lazy and trying to pull a fast one, there is no written report. He pulled a case number to give to the victim figuring he would not follow up on it or even go get a copy. The victim is happy he has a "report" and the officer is happy because he did not have to write one, he just logs it as a dispatch error.

Serious dereliction of duty. as much as I hate IA for their BS, I think it is the only way to get the ball rolling in this case. Obviously the OP has been given the brush off up to this point, even by the line supervisors.
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 9:03:44 AM EDT
[#16]
The officer must be a real dumbass if he thinks someone who's just had a gun stuck in his face is going to be happy with a case # and just go on about his life.    

I'd have to say that it was the luckiest day of that shitbag punk's life that nobody on site was carrying, or that he wasn't cuffed & stuffed by the responding LEO.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 12:11:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Chances were they got "special" treatment because of that PBA badge ...  Im sure the cops knew what they were doing -- if the people were black and low income they would still be in jail ...

Bullshit.
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 12:33:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
N2OGV

Means the officer was lazy and trying to pull a fast one, there is no written report. He pulled a case number to give to the victim figuring he would not follow up on it or even go get a copy. The victim is happy he has a "report" and the officer is happy because he did not have to write one, he just logs it as a dispatch error.

Serious dereliction of duty. as much as I hate IA for their BS, I think it is the only way to get the ball rolling in this case. Obviously the OP has been given the brush off up to this point, even by the line supervisors.

+1
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 12:34:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Chances were they got "special" treatment because of that PBA badge ...  Im sure the cops knew what they were doing -- if the people were black and low income they would still be in jail ...

Link Posted: 8/16/2006 3:43:07 PM EDT
[#20]
his
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 4:01:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Dont let it go -- Explain to the cashier that they have a very large group of people supporting them on this and that we will fight for them and to make sure they dont get fired or in trouble.  Not to mention the civil lawsuit that can take place if they get fired for such an action

Seriously -- call IA, have a case filed and the guy arrested.  IF things dont get rolling we start the email campaign ...
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 4:10:13 PM EDT
[#22]
DITTO
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 4:45:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Take it to the FDLE.

The FDLE takes an EXTREMELY dim view of officers who commit dereliction of duty,  don't know their jobs,  and departments that let them get away with it.

CJ
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 5:40:58 PM EDT
[#24]
take it somewhere.  it's absolutely mindboggling that this could happen.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 5:09:32 AM EDT
[#25]
UPDATE:
Now the story gets interesting.  The clerk called yet AGAIN and was told "there is no record of this report on file at Sunrise PD"

Well, on Wed. Aug 16th, the clerk spoke to some of the BSO staff.  They have been actually very supportive of him through this whole thing.  I wish they had been there when this thing went down originally, I suspect everything would have been handled much differently.

Anyway, one of the BSO officers spoke to some higher-ups at BSO, and they made a few phone calls...

Around 3:00pm, the clerk received a phone call from the officer who originally responded to the call, saying she was coming out to the range to "straighten this mess out"

I came down to the range office just as the female officer arrived, with another officer, and instructor from Sunrise PD, in tow.

Here's where is goes south(yet again)

This instructor, an asshat named "B. SCHWARTZ" proceeds to start YELLING at the clerk, telling him to let it drop, that he wasn't threatened, etc.

When the clerk asked why he couldn't get a copy of the report, the female cop, Officer NORWOOD, looked at his incident card(the one SHE gave him) and surprise !  It had the WRONG NUMBER written on it.  When we asked what the right number was, she said "she didn't know, she didn't have the notepad from that day with her"  so, she was going to write a brand-new "supplemental report" with a new case number.

So the BSO deputy comes out of his office and asks why the suspect was never charged with assault or arrested. Norwood tells him "the guy never pointed his gun or threatened anyone"

The clerk says no, that's not true, and reminds her he told her and the other two responding officers that when they arrived on the scene whe the incident originally happened.

Norwood says "no, you never told me that".

Well, that's a fucking lie, I tell her.  There were two additional park managers there when he told her how the guy jammed the gun in his face and threatened to "fuck him up"

B. SCHWARTZ pokes his nose in.  Having a gun shoved in your face, he tells the clerk, is not assault.  Having someone tell you "it's loaded, bitch" and "I'm gonna fuck you up" is not a THREAT, he tells the clerk, and at a gun range, you have to expect that sort of thing.

Now the clerk is getting pisssed off.  We hand the officers a copy of the statutes on assault, felony assault, as well as the statutes pertaining to unlawful display of a firearm.  Particularly I point out the sections in 790 and 784 where it says it is unlawful to make "angry, rude, or threatening comments or gestures" while in possion of a firearm, noting that it says you don't have to neccessarily be HOLDING the firearm, it just has to be ON YOUR PERSON.

B. SCWARTZ says he doesn't need to see the statutes.

So now the clerk loses it, and askes the two cops who the hell this suspect is, and why they are so concerned with NOT charging him.  "Who IS this guy ?"

B.SCHWARTZ goes berserk, shouting that this kid is NOBODY, he wants to make it clear that NO ONE on Sunrise PD knows him from Adam, and that he is NOT getting special treatment.

The BSO deputy tells the cops that from everything he has heard, this guy at the VERY LEAST committed felony assault, assault with a firearm, as well as armed tresspass.  He takes the redoubtable B. SCHWARTZ aside and the clerk and I speak to Officer NORWOOD again.

She maintains that we never told her the guy made threatening gestures or statements.  She also maintains that since the only corroborating witnesses to our original statements (the park managers) weren't there today, she wasn't gonna take our word for it.

I offered to have the two managers drive over on their day off, and she declined.

She then said she was going to "re-file" the reports(s).  She then said they would need "outside" witnesses, i.e., non-range employees.  She said the original witnesses had not responded to phone calls.

She gave us new case numbers and said they would be on file in "a few days"

I am still pretty upset about this and both the clerk and I think that, if there isn't an actual cover-up going on, there is an attempt to cover up an incompetant handling of the original response to the original call.  The suspect should never have been released ROR, and he should never have been allowed to leave with his FIREARM IN HIS POSSESSION!!!

We are asking ARFCOMMERS for their help.  E-mail Sunrise PD, FDLE, the state attorney,  your county commisioners, parks commisioner Mike Harlin, anyone at all.  If anyone from the press wants to know about it, have them read these posts and request copies of the incident reports from Sunrise PD.

Here are the case numbers:

Original Incident Date:  Sunday, July 30th, Markham Park target range.

Case Number(s) 06-13147  (the "assault")
                       06-13164  (armed trespass)

responding Officer:  Officer Norwood (Sunrise PD)

If anyone needs additional info or wants to contact myself or the clerk, send a private message to me here at AR-15.com and leave a contact ph#, and I will call you back.

The actions of the suspect demand these charges be taken seriously, and the behavior of Sunrise PD has been reprehensible.  The PD needs to be held accountable, and the officers involved have been to say the least, unprofessional.  

Link Posted: 8/18/2006 5:42:53 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
UPDATE:
Now the story gets interesting..........  

Great work...thanks for taking the time to follow up with this.

Sounds INCREDIBLY frustrating. Having the female cop essentially tell you that these events as described were never reported originally, is absolutely nothing more than her trying to protect herself in light of the fact that she's an unresponsive, unprofessional POS.

God forbid she eat crow...no, no, no. The crow is for YOU to eat as long as the badge is pinned to HER chest.

You keep this up and she'll be the one eating crow.

Keep us informed, and thanks for the work.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 7:52:22 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm definitely not in law enforcement,  but if I were the chief in charge of these officers,  there'd be two badges and two guns in my desk and a new posting for two job positions on the employment bulletin board.    

CJ
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 7:54:29 AM EDT
[#28]
This has to be a joke.....  

Why did Norwood show up with a Training officer?  Was she on FTO?

If so i'm sure the more senior officer(s) have influenced her and are as if not more guilty of a cover up.

I'm glad one of the BSO deputies stepped out, good to have a rational witness that is also a LEO there.

If she did file an original report like she says and got the wrong case number, all she has to do is ask Dispatch to pull up the case number (with a location, day, and responding officer they can).  I still think you should try to get the original case number.  You can call BSO dispatch as well and give them the info and see if they will give you the info.  If not ask one of the deputies to call and ask.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 8:03:40 AM EDT
[#29]
I think the training officer came along(he was in a seperate vehicle) because he knew the BSO staff and the range staffers.  I'd seen him around, but I usually am not on duty when Sunrise PD is using the range.

I've gotten a IM from a sun-sentinal reporter, so after I talk with the cashier I will talk to him and see what the press can do to make people aware of this incident.  The reporter is an ARFCOM member and wants to focus on the PD and why they acted the way they did.

County employees have a some sort of policy affecting how they speak to the news media, but I am moving out of state and have given my notice, so in either case I can speak to the media.  the cashier has his job to think about, so I'm gonna have to check with him regarding this whole mess to see how he wants to proceed.  

Thanks again !
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 6:15:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Im currently on vacation using an "aquired" wireless connection so I cant be of much help.

What we need to do is email the FDLE, BSO and Sunrise officers in charge.  CLEO's are the way to go.  Explain that we want the matter resolved or we will begin email campaings to the state attorneys office and local media.

I can get some point of contacts on monday if someone does not beat me to it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 6:38:59 PM EDT
[#31]
emailed a buddy of mine at Sunrise PD ...  I will also call a buddy of mine at BSO tommorow...
Link Posted: 8/19/2006 3:03:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Do you have any e-mail addresses where we should send stuff to?  How about a pre-written letter that we should send?
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 7:57:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Is it too late to get the dash cam video of when they pulled this clown over? It might be useful...
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 9:19:20 AM EDT
[#34]
chief name is David Boyett.  The IA lieutenant is Bob Glennon.  Got this from a buddy at sunrise pd....
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 3:29:29 PM EDT
[#35]
The cashier need to call and speak to Norwood's Sergeant... If there is no satisfaction there, keep working your way up the chain of command. When sh*t starts to roll down hill from the top, things will change. Just a simple email from the clerk to the Chief of Sunrise PD will initiate a trace that will make it's way down to Norwood's supervisor. I hope the cashier does not let this thing die.. Sunrise PD is an interesting group.... I was a witness to the whole Promise Keepers stunt that Sunrise PD pulled.. The main guy was very unprofessional... A complete jerk. I know that is not the whole department but damn,......

Link Posted: 8/20/2006 3:52:04 PM EDT
[#36]
I have gotten all the nec information and forwarded it to RRO -- I dont think we should do anything without him saying so ...
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:32:07 AM EDT
[#37]
On Sunday I learned that BSO managed to find the civilian witnesses to the original incident.  They forewarded the information to Sunrise PD, who had told us they were "unable" to contact the witnesses witht the SAME information that BSO used to locate the witness--name, address, DL#, and home PH#.  (Bunch of real Sherlock Holmes types at Sunrise PD, we did everything except draw them a map to the witness's house)

So now there are "unbiased" witnesses to the whole incident--Sunrise PD had said that statements from Range Personell were "biased" and could not be used to persue charges.

The clerk has spoken witht the State Att'y, and once they can actually GET a copy of the report, hopefully actions will be taken.  No word yet on what action, if any, will be taken against Sunrise PD and their sterling example of pro-active law enforcement officers.

Kudos to BSO for their work above and beyond the call of duty.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 8:42:40 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
On Sunday I learned that BSO managed to find the civilian witnesses to the original incident.  They forewarded the information to Sunrise PD, who had told us they were "unable" to contact the witnesses witht the SAME information that BSO used to locate the witness--name, address, DL#, and home PH#.  (Bunch of real Sherlock Holmes types at Sunrise PD, we did everything except draw them a map to the witness's house)

So now there are "unbiased" witnesses to the whole incident--Sunrise PD had said that statements from Range Personell were "biased" and could not be used to persue charges.

The clerk has spoken witht the State Att'y, and once they can actually GET a copy of the report, hopefully actions will be taken.  No word yet on what action, if any, will be taken against Sunrise PD and their sterling example of pro-active law enforcement officers.

Kudos to BSO for their work above and beyond the call of duty.

So its time to forward this to the chief of police for Sunrise ...  Check your pm for the info and let me know if you need anything ...
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 10:39:54 AM EDT
[#39]
is there a list of email addresses of the people (LEOs, govt officials, media, etc) who need to be made aware of this situation?
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:18:02 PM EDT
[#40]
I think I saw this epsode on Reno 911.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:47:58 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
is there a list of email addresses of the people (LEOs, govt officials, media, etc) who need to be made aware of this situation?

I forwarded the info to to RevolverRO -- waiting to see what he wants us to do, if anything ...  But I agree -- this needs to be pushed ...
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Sunrise Police Report Inbound

Department says report states gun remained holstered and empty. They say while there was a dispute, there was no independently verifiable verbal threat of using the weapon against the range officer.
Police witnesses on the report are the subject, his wife and the Markham Range worker. Police say both the subject and his wife say the gun was empty and holstered, and there were no verbal threats of using the weapon.

It sounds like a basic 2 against 1....even if the 2nd witness was a wife.
As a misdemenor at this point, they say the Range Officer has to take his complaint to the State's Attorneys' Office to see if there's sufficient grounds to charge the subject with a felony...or even pursue misdemenor charges.

Absent actual independent corroberating witnesses for the Range Worker willing to testify exactly what they saw and heard, including the direction of the gun, cased or not, It's probably a wash.

The real potential loser here is the wife, if they're  even married, who has a husband-boyfriend with a hot temper, anger managment issues and a gun.

Sunrise Police say they don't know who the subject is and don't care.

Updates as they develope.

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:58:59 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Department says report states gun remained holstered and empty. They say while there was a dispute, there was no independently verifiable verbal threat of using the weapon against the range officer.
Police witnesses on the report are the subject, his wife and the Markham Range worker. Police say both the subject and his wife say the gun was empty and holstered, and there were no verbal threats of using the weapon.

As a misdemenor at this point, they say the Range Officer has to take his complaint to the State's Attorneys' Office to see if there's sufficient grounds to charge the subject with a felony...or even pursue misdemenor charges.

Absent actual independent corroberating witnesses for the Range Worker willing to testify exactly what they saw and heard, including the direction of the gun, cased or not, It's probably a wash.

The real potential loser here is the wife, if they're  even married, who has a husband-boyfriend with a hot temper, anger managment issues and a gun.

But there are other, independent witnesses saying otherwise, correct? SAO should be interested in that.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 3:29:21 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Who are you?

With all do respect... I just don't see you in this thread before now...

Mike
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 4:25:28 AM EDT
[#45]
The Department is saying the gun was "Holstered and empty" ?

That is BULLSHIT!

I am the range officer in question.  I was a witness.  I saw the gun OUT OF THE HOLSTER and IN THE SUSPECT'S HAND!

The Cashier saw the gun OUT OF THE HOLSTER and IN THE SUSPECT'S HAND!

The THREE CIVILIAN WITNESSES (An adult woman, her father, and her teenage son) saw the gun OUT OF THE HOLSTER and IN THE SUSPECT'S HAND!

Officer Norwood and her two cronies did not arrive on scene until the suspects had fled the scene in their vehicle.  By that time the gun was inside the vehicle(it was found empty inside the truck).

So the only witnesses who say the gun is unloaded and holstered the entire time are the suspect and his wife ?!?

WTF ?!?!

Okay, I am calling the Sunrise PD out as a bunch of LIARS.  They have never taken statements from range staff, saying we are "biased".  They came back to the range last thursday to INTIMIDATE the cashier into changing his story, and they disputed his original statement (which they cannot find ?)

I am fucking incensed.  This is bullshit, pure and simple.  They are trying to cover their asses because they screwed up not taking the guy into custody. Now they are saying the guy never had the gun out of the holster ?  How the fuck would they know, they weren't there !

Of fucking course the suspect is gonna say he didn't have the gun out !  He's the goddamned suspect !  So his statement is "unbiased" but the statements oif the range staff ARE ?!?

Brian Haas from the Sun-Sentinal, please contact me this is unbelieveable behavior on the part of Sunrise PD !

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:01:38 AM EDT
[#46]
looks like gross incompetence, cover-up, etc.  perhaps it's time for the cashier to take it to the media.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:41:53 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
looks like gross incompetence, cover-up, etc.  perhaps it's time for the cashier to take it to the media.  

Or to the FDLE with a formal complaint that Sunrise PD has failed to investigate a crime reported to them.

Matt
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 1:49:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Wow, this somehow keeps getting crazier and crazier!

Raise hell on Sunrise PD until they fire everyone involved.  BS like this should not be happening with those who are in the business of "protecting" us.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 4:23:16 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Wow, this somehow keeps getting crazier and crazier!

Raise hell on Sunrise PD until they fire everyone involved.  BS like this should not be happening with those who are in the business of "protecting" us.

it appears that they are protecting someone...
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:59:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Seems to me that the perps name would be available.  That would be interesting to know.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top