[#1]
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:15:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sunrise Police Report Inbound

Who are you?

With all do respect... I just don't see you in this thread before now...

Mike

Mike, if you watch the local TV news in Dade/Broward, you should know who drshame is.....

I did a google search and cant tell anything except that he also is into jeeps :)
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:23:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Fucker should have been shot!
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:07:39 PM EDT
[#4]
The report has been filed...it bears out what I heard.

Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:10:37 PM EDT
[#5]
ok.. what or who is BSO?
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:20:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Broward Sheriffs Office
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 4:35:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, the cashier and I got copies of the police report yesterday...

In my humble opinion, the report (which appears to have been written after last weeks visit from the original officer) contains a lot of altered information.  The statements from the cashier are completely untrue.  If you read the report, it says the gun was never out of the holster, never pointed at the clerk, and at no time was the gun ever "presented" as a threat.

Highly creative editing on the part of officer Norwood !

She also writes "it is classified as a simple assault due to it is a common practise (sic) for people to enter or leave the range with weapons in their hand"

So if I understand this correctly, if you use a firearm to commit a crime in a place where guns are common, you won't get charged with a firearm offense ?!?

The cashier called the state's att'y, and they said since the suspect was NOT arrested at the time of the incident, they cannot and will not take any actions in this case!  Unbelieveable !

An additional gem:  Officer Norwood has the suspect's WIFE listed on the report as the "victim/witness".  Apparently she is an unbiased witness, but myself and the other range staff are not !

well...updates to follow.  Stay tuned...

Link Posted: 8/24/2006 5:06:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
So if I understand this correctly, if you use a firearm to commit a crime in a place where guns are common, you won't get charged with a firearm offense ?!?

Seems to work in the NFL & NBA  
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 5:33:35 AM EDT
[#9]
What a total crock of shit.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:08:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Well, the cashier and I got copies of the police report yesterday...

In my humble opinion, the report (which appears to have been written after last weeks visit from the original officer) contains a lot of altered information.  The statements from the cashier are completely untrue.  If you read the report, it says the gun was never out of the holster, never pointed at the clerk, and at no time was the gun ever "presented" as a threat.

Highly creative editing on the part of officer Norwood !

She also writes "it is classified as a simple assault due to it is a common practise (sic) for people to enter or leave the range with weapons in their hand"

The cashier called the state's att'y, and they said since the suspect was NOT arrested at the time of the incident, they cannot and will not take any actions in this case!  Unbelieveable !

An additional gem:  Officer Norwood has the suspect's WIFE listed on the report as the "victim/witness".  Apparently she is an unbiased witness, but myself and the other range staff are not !

well...updates to follow.  Stay tuned...

Time to take it to internal affairs ...

can you please post the name of the perp so I can google it ...  Thx ...
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:11:31 AM EDT
[#11]
RevolverRO check your PM ...
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:04:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Yeah take it higher, that's messed up. They won't take your word because you work with the guy but then they turn around and take her word even though sh'e banging him?
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 11:35:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Post the guys name. If it's in the PR it's in the public domain anyway.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 3:48:40 PM EDT
[#14]
sounds like this guy knew better,and probably just evaded a 20 year felony charge. I hope he learned his lesson because 2nd chances are rare. I dont feel like justice was served if the real victim/witness is to be belived.this is a shameful display of too much authority/trust placed in the hands of an unethical,unashamed,hypocrate who should have known what was not only expected but required of her. I hope this guy isnt really dangerous just stupid
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 4:05:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
sounds like this guy knew better,and probably just evaded a 20 year felony charge. I hope he learned his lesson because 2nd chances are rare. I dont feel like justice was served if the real victim/witness is to be belived.this is a shameful display of too much authority/trust placed in the hands of an unethical,unashamed,hypocrate who should have known what was not only expected but required of her. I hope this guy isnt really dangerous just stupid

stupid = dangerous.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 4:30:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 5:19:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Why are they trying to cover this up?
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 4:23:37 PM EDT
[#18]
height=8
Quoted:

Because they realized that the guy should have been arrested at the time this incident occured.  So they just want to avoid public humiliation and keep their jobs.
Link Posted: 8/29/2006 2:32:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Update?
Link Posted: 8/29/2006 2:46:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd butt-stock that little cunt with my M-14....edited
sgb
Link Posted: 8/29/2006 4:08:24 PM EDT
[#21]
All I can say is WOW!! This is fucking crazy.
Link Posted: 8/29/2006 4:17:18 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because they realized that the guy should have been arrested at the time this incident occured.  So they just want to avoid public humiliation and keep their jobs.

I am betting this too

By the way: The kid had a PBA sticker on his truck and said something about his dad being a cop....
Link Posted: 8/30/2006 6:06:50 AM EDT
[#23]
I stilll think this shit needs to be dragged out into the open & exposed.  Letting the incompetent fucks hide behind their curtain of silence and denial sets an unbelievable precedence.    
Link Posted: 8/30/2006 4:07:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Found this post on another forum :

Questions still abound a year after SWAT shooting of Sunrise man

By Brian Haas
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted August 5 2006

SUNRISE · His room looks like a typical 23-year-old's: Clothes spill out of the hamper, DVDs and video games are jumbled together on a shelf under his television, and his bed is a mess.

Squeeze past the cream couch and stereo, under posters of rapper 50 Cent and martial arts expert Bruce Lee, and you come to his white closet door, with a poster of Britney Spears.

Just below her right arm is a bullet hole. Through it, you can see straight through the door and two walls. One year ago today, Anthony Diotaiuto was shot and killed in that closet by the Sunrise Police Department's SWAT team in a pre-dawn raid. Police were looking for evidence he was dealing drugs. They found an ounce of marijuana. (Sounds like a righteous shoot to me. 1 oz of weed for 1 dead [maybe innocent] guy.)

Since that day, little has changed for his mother, Marlene Whittier. She still lives in the house. She refuses to take off the necklace and cross her son used to wear. Most of all, she avoids his bedroom.

"It's been the most difficult year of my life, to tell you the truth," Whittier said. "How much worse can it get?"

She still doesn't know why police were so aggressive with her son. He worked two jobs, went to college, attended church and saved to buy the house the two were living in.

A year later, only two new details have come to light: Sunrise police cleared the two officers who shot Diotaiuto, (Gee! Why am I not surprised?) and the Broward County Medical Examiner's Office acknowledged police waited three hours after the shooting to contact a coroner. (I'm sure it had nothing to do with the SPD attempting to get their house in order. Right?)

The grand jury investigating the shooting has been rescheduled at least twice, holding up the release of nearly any information on the raid.

Peter Holden, the assistant state attorney who will present the case to the grand jury, said the postponements have been due to family requests, a sick juror and a new witness appearing.

"I'm not trying to delay anything," Holden said. "We're trying to accommodate other people's needs. You try to be as thorough as you can with these things.

Sunrise police declined to answer a dozen questions submitted to them this week, including whether SWAT teams are still being used to serve search warrants. Lt. Roger Torres, speaking for the department, said city attorneys suggested the department not comment. Diotaiuto had a concealed weapon's permit, a "major factor" in justifying use of the SWAT team, police have said. (All you people living in Sunrise who have CWLs need to be really concerned about this little detail! You are prejudged guilty.)

Whittier retained the law firm of Conrad & Scherer to look into her son's death. Attorney William Scherer Jr. is suing for documents on the raid.

"We are full of frustration. Its one-year anniversary is coming up. We don't have a copy of the autopsy, we don't have a copy of the police report," Scherer said. "All we have is a dead boy."

Diotaiuto died after a night spent working at the Carolina Ale House. He worked as a disc jockey on weekends and attended Broward Community College, where he was studying catering. He had a marijuana arrest as a juvenile, the outcome of which is not public record, and friends acknowledge he was a recreational user. But he was never violent, they said. Diotaiuto and Whittier wanted to start their own catering business and eventually open a restaurant with their friends. He regularly attended St. David Catholic Church.Police, in their search warrant, paint a different picture of Diotaiuto.Detective Michael Calise of the department's vice squad got an anonymous tip July 11, 2005, that Diotaiuto was selling and distributing "hydroponics grade cannabis and cocaine" from his home, the search warrant says. The detective put the home under surveillance, noting cars coming and going at odd hours. The warrant said police even witnessed a "hand-to-hand transaction." About two weeks later, police used a confidential informant who knew Diotaiuto to buy a little more than an ounce of marijuana at the home, the warrant says.

A judge approved the search warrant on Aug. 3, 2005.

Details of what happened next are in dispute.

Diotaiuto got home from work about 4 a.m. Two hours later, the SWAT team assembled on his property.

Police have said the team knocked on his front door and announced themselves that morning. But at least two of Diotaiuto's neighbors, who stated they watched the raid, said police did neither. The SWAT team smashed open Diotaiuto's oak door, and kicked in his bedroom door.

By 6:15 a.m., Diotaiuto was dead in his closet with 10 gunshot wounds. (Shot 10 times! In a closet! I guess they thought he was going to run away?)

Police gave three different accounts of the confrontation the week it happened. First, police said Diotaiuto pointed a gun at officers. Then, police only said Diotaiuto was armed with a gun. Finally, police said he was found dead next to a gun. Police also said they seized 2 ounces of marijuana from the home, despite an inventory afterwards that showed 1ounce was found.

The coroner wasn't notified until 9:12 a.m., according to the Medical Examiner's Office. That agency has declined to comment since the investigation still is open. Officers Sean Visners and Andre Bruna, the two SWAT shooters, have been cleared by the police department in an internal inquiry, said attorney Michael Dutko, who is representing them in the grand jury inquiry for the police union."Each is the type of officer you would want protecting your neighborhood, protecting your wife and your family," (Absolutely! They'll just kill everything in sight. These two guys belong on The List.)Dutko said. "Their position is that they followed their policy, procedures and training in executing this warrant."Scherer said the SWAT team shouldn't have been used that day.

"You don't use paramilitary techniques to execute a search warrant," Scherer said. "Wait until he comes out in the morning and serve it."

John Gnagey, executive director of the National Tactical Officers Association in Doylestown, Pa., said police should consider several factors before using a SWAT team on a search warrant."They're there to handle high-risk situations that the patrol officers are not equipped to handle," Gnagey said. "When suspects are known or believed to be heavily armed, the location is heavily fortified, the suspect has a violent criminal history, the suspect is wanted for an armed assault on a police officer."

Gnagey said a concealed weapons permit could be one reason to call a SWAT team, but is unlikely to be the sole reason.

Diotaiuto's front door has been repaired, but the oak still shows splinters from when police pried it open. A scorch mark remains in the living room, likely from a diversionary grenade. A boot print mars Whittier's bedroom door. Another is square in the middle of the door to Diotaiuto's room.

Whittier remains stuck on Aug. 5, 2005, replaying the events of that day in her head, trying to find meaning.

"My future is today and tomorrow," she said. "You can't have a real future with no closure in your life."Staff writer Tonya Alanez and staff researcher William Lucey contributed to this report.

Brian Haas can be reached at [email protected] or 954-356-4597.
Link Posted: 8/30/2006 5:34:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Wow... out of curiosity how big is the Sunrise PD?

I live in Jacksonville and I'm not too familier with different PD's and SO's.. all we have here is JSO. My first impression was that this was a small police force, but now they have their own SWAT team?
Link Posted: 8/30/2006 10:49:05 PM EDT
[#26]
174 Sworn according to city data.  Every department and their mothers have SWAT teams down here to waste our tax money.
Link Posted: 8/31/2006 5:55:35 AM EDT
[#27]
"Diotaiuto had a concealed weapon's permit, a "major factor" in justifying use of the SWAT team, police have said."

To protect & to serve.
Link Posted: 8/31/2006 2:25:53 PM EDT
[#28]
I will be the first to contribute to a legal fund.
The cashier and anyone else present were threatened and deserve better.
LE would have shot first and asked later.

The chick may have been connected not just the driver.

IM me if I can help maintain your momentum. They are banking on time.
Link Posted: 8/31/2006 2:27:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/2/2006 9:23:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Hello, my name is Brian Haas and I am a Sun-Sentinel reporter. I wrote the story mentioned in this thread about the Sunrise SWAT team and their justification being the CCW permit.

I apologize for posting on this board, I don't want to interrupt the discussion.

However, I am interested in looking into this case and I would love to hear from some of the people who witnessed this incident.

Anyone who is interested in talking can contact me at my office at 954-356-4597 or by email at bhaas (at) sun-sentinel.com.

For the record, I have no interest in bashing guns or gun owners. I just want to know if the police department did their job in this case.

I will be working through the Labor Day weekend and all next week for anyone interested in speaking to me.

Thank you, and again, I apologize for interrupting the conversation.

Brian Haas
Office: 954-356-4597
Fax: 954-356-4559
Email: bhaas (at) sun-sentinel.com

Link Posted: 9/2/2006 9:28:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Here it comes.
Link Posted: 9/2/2006 10:23:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Wow, I just stumbled across this thread and it just amazes me.  From my dealings with the Sunrise PD (business burglarized), they are complete tools - them and Pines PD.
Link Posted: 9/2/2006 3:35:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Brian,
Will this be before or after you quote any information you get as coming from an online militia group.?

Sorry SGB I just culdnt help myself
Link Posted: 9/2/2006 5:10:48 PM EDT
[#34]
 Brian, Any relation to norrie?
Link Posted: 9/3/2006 5:18:44 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Wow, I just stumbled across this thread and it just amazes me.  From my dealings with the Sunrise PD (business burglarized), they are complete tools - them and Pines PD.

Being a business owner myself, I've had good results with BSO when my business got robbed (Liquor store/Bar) multiple times in the past.  

Hopefully something positive comes about this....
Link Posted: 9/3/2006 7:04:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Brian,

Check out Lt. Robert Vos at Sunrise PD...he is well aware of this incident.
You here to milk sources..or you're into the shooting sports?

Link Posted: 9/3/2006 1:52:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Dr Shame:

A little bit of both, to be honest. It's been awhile, but growing up in Michigan I was out at the gun range at least once a month with my father and friends. Nothing to brag about, really, mostly an old .22 rifle, my father's .22 Ruger pistol and .357 S&W revolver (I used to help my dad make the bullets in the basement). One of my buddies had a blackpowder rifle that we would fire on occasion too. That thing was a riot if you could hit the target.

Did a little target shooting when I was living in Bradenton too.

I'm still not a very good shot.

Again, I'm not here to bash gun owners by any means. I grew up with guns.

What concerns me, however, is this incident and the police response. I know that gun owners pride themselves on safety and are offended by those who abuse their rights.

I'm just interested in finding out what happened and what the latest is.

I know Lt. Voss well, but I don't like approaching the police until I have most of the facts already.

If anyone is interested in talking with me, I'll list my contact information here again. Otherwise, I won't take up any more space on this board. I appreciate everyone's time and I apologize again for interrupting the conversation.

Stay safe.

Brian Haas
Office: 954-356-4597
Fax: 954-356-4559
Email: bhaas (at) sun-sentinel.com
Link Posted: 9/3/2006 4:04:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Vos cheerfully sent me a report.
Seems straight enough and doesn;t understand al tghe interest.
Of course...he probably has heard of this side of the story.

If you like .22's, you'll get a big kick out of .223's.

If you like .223's, you'll get a bigger kick out of Garands and '03's in 30.06!

.50's at Markham could be fun too.
Link Posted: 9/10/2006 5:15:41 PM EDT
[#39]
So... updates?
Link Posted: 9/11/2006 4:14:23 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Vos cheerfully sent me a report.
Seems straight enough and doesn;t understand al tghe interest.
Of course...he probably has heard of this side of the story.

If you like .22's, you'll get a big kick out of .223's.

If you like .223's, you'll get a bigger kick out of Garands and '03's in 30.06!

.50's at Markham could be fun too.

What does all that mean?
Link Posted: 9/11/2006 7:36:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Any updates?
Link Posted: 9/12/2006 5:17:58 AM EDT
[#42]
height=8
Quoted:
Any updates?

+1  I came across this last night, it had my blood boiling.  The only interactions Ive had with SPD over the last 3 years left me with no respect for them whatsoever.
Link Posted: 9/12/2006 5:32:25 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm glad this hasn't faded away.  The fact that ANY police officer or ANY police dept in this country doesn't think sticking a gun in someone's face is a crime blows my mind.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2006 10:24:00 AM EDT
[#44]
BTT
Link Posted: 9/15/2006 5:37:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Nothing will happen. Those bozos at the Sunrise PD are better at covering their asses than doing their actual job. They're too lazy to write reports. When faced with an actual crime, they barely have the skills to drive to the scene.

I live in Sunrise, so I see them "doing" their job every day.
After Wilma they were out (miss) directing traffic and probably caused more accidents than they prevented.

This time, they are confronted with someone that has caught them in one more cover-up. I can picture all of the Sunrise PD scampering (like caught rats) trying to get out from this mess. So they're doing what comes naturally. They're lying, delaying, accusing the victim, and generally anything they can think of to take the spotlight off them. They think that if they stall and lie about this incident, that eventually, people will forget about it, or just let it drop. I think they might get their way.
Link Posted: 9/15/2006 6:03:30 AM EDT
[#46]
that's why this needs to go to the media.  it's the only way it's going to get out in the daylight for everyone to see.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2006 6:07:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Revolver has not posted updates or responded to PM's -- I got a feeling they are going to let this drop ...

That is a big mistake ...
Link Posted: 9/15/2006 6:08:32 AM EDT
[#48]
has bhaas wrote anything up yet?
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top