Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 10:14:38 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
My coworker states that komotv had a picture of an AK-5 up last night....it's gone now.

I could have sworn that I saw a pic of a cop carrying what looked more like a rugar 10-22, or maybe a SKS...But it was so fast, and I have not seen it again.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 10:21:41 AM EDT
[#2]
a .22 would explain why there were 6 people wounded instead of 6 people killed... a .22 can be deadly.. but is a lot less likely to be life threatening..
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 10:22:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 10:26:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I could have sworn that I saw a pic of a cop carrying what looked more like a rugar 10-22, or maybe a SKS...But it was so fast, and I have not seen it again.

When it doubt people, it's an AK-47 style "assault rifle with fully automatic capability" shooting ONLY in semi-automatic mode.  Just remember that in case you find yourself being interviewed at some point down the road by the media.

Idiots.

-Rob
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 10:28:11 AM EDT
[#5]
The Libtard media is really playing up the "automatic assault rifle capable of firing 600 rounds per minute."  Wonder how long it will be before GregWhore starts asking for a CA style AWB?
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 10:43:07 AM EDT
[#6]
The AK5 reference and photo is still up on the KOMO 4 website.  

Evidently, the info on the type of weapon came from one of the hostages.  It seems that a  KOMO reporter called into the store and one of the hostages answered.  It was the hostage who, in whispers, provided some details, including the nature and type of weapon being used by the perp.

At least that is what my source tells me, he was on the scene and is with KOMO.  I suggested that they might want to actually look up the weapon and use their brains for something other than holding up their hair.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 11:03:21 AM EDT
[#7]
What I want to know is WTF was that reporter thinking calling the stotres at the mall.  He's damn lucky no one was killed because of his calls.

Link Posted: 11/21/2005 11:13:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Dori Monson's talking about it now on KIRO, he's usually pretty Libertarian about things, wonder what the topic will end up being?

ETA He's actually floating the idea for armed citizens to take out the shooter at the mall!

I'm sure Dave Ross' opinion will be quite different
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 11:24:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
ETA He's actually floating the idea for armed citizens to take out the shooter at the mall!

I've heard more and more talk like this since the serial rapist and store robber...interesting turn.  We shall see.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 12:41:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The AK5 reference and photo is still up on the KOMO 4 website.  

Here is the pic from KOMO TV:

I doubt a 20 y/o has the scratch to buy one of these white or black market, but I could be wrong.

Trey
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 12:47:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I know there are some FNC semi-autos available, but are there even any AK5 variants in the US?  I thought they were only available in select fire, and being built strictly for the Swedish military.   I suppose some Class III dealers could have samples, and there might be some in gov hands, but I thought these weren't even in Swedish military hands until after the '86 full auto ban.  

ETA - I love how they chose a photo of the sniper version to post.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 12:54:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Thats pretty evil looking.  We should ban it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 1:05:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.komonews.com/news/images/shooting_rifle_112005.jpg

Wow...you read MY mind.  Plus, lets paint it a little more Feng Shui so it's a little less menacing.  

-Rob
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 1:16:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.komonews.com/news/images/shooting_rifle_112005.jpg

Link Posted: 11/21/2005 2:33:26 PM EDT
[#15]
What an assfuck.  

Suspect in Tacoma mall shooting spree sent angry text messages before the rampage

By CURT WOODWARD
ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

TACOMA, Wash. -- A man accused of a shooting spree at a crowded shopping mall and taking four people hostage pleaded not guilty Monday to first degree assault, kidnapping and unlawful possession of a firearm.

Dominick Sergio Maldonado, 20, of Tacoma, was ordered held on $2 million bail after his hearing in Pierce County Superior Court. He's been charged with eight counts of first-degree assault, four counts of kidnapping, and two counts of unlawful possession of a firearm.

Maldonado was arrested Sunday afternoon after surrendering to police about four hours after he ducked into a Sam Goody store and took the hostages, all of whom were released unharmed.

During the shooting, six people were injured, one critically. Two others were shot at, but not struck, and four individuals were taken hostage, said Deputy Pierce County Prosecutor Phil Sorensen.

One person remained in critical condition Monday at Tacoma General Hospital, spokesman Todd Kelley said. No details on the others injured were immediately released.

Minutes before the rampage, Maldonado sent a text message to his ex-girlfriend saying he was about to show the world his anger.

Tiffany Robison, Maldonado's former girlfriend, said in an interview broadcast Monday on ABC's "Good Morning America" that he sent her a text message shortly before noon reading: "Today is the day that the world will know my anger."

"I think honestly that he just wanted attention. It's the sick attention that he wanted," Robison told ABC. She said they broke up months earlier "because of an issue with a drug."

Her mother, Mary Simon, 47, Tacoma, was at home when her daughter, 20-year-old Robison, got the troubling cell phone text message.

In his message, Maldonado hinted at violent behavior, writing that "Today is the day that the world will know my anger" and "Today the world will feel my pain."

Simon thought the message was an attempt to gain attention, and downplayed its seriousness when her daughter showed her. But Robison never doubted the violent implications.

"When she got the message, she freaked out and took it very seriously," Simon said in a phone interview from her home Monday. "And then when she heard about the shooting, she knew in an instant that it was him."

Later, Robison got a call from Maldonado at the mall during the shooting spree and hostage standoff.

"He just said, 'Well, I just shot up the mall, and I'm busy now. I'm still in the Sam Goody," Simon said.

Asked if her daughter thought Maldonado's rampage was caused by drugs, Simon said: "He was evidently really high yesterday."

The youths dated for a time, but Simon said her daughter ended the relationship when Maldonado's behavior began to change, perhaps from drug abuse.

"She said he made a lot of changes and said a lot of things that spooked her, and so she broke it off," Simon said. "He was reaching out for help and nobody was listening, was what she said."

Link Posted: 11/21/2005 3:45:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Latest Blog Entry:

I love how most of you seem enjoy venting your anger on myspace towards someone you never knew. All you know is an incident that happened over the course of several hours. All you know is the hate you're supposed to feel towards this man because of something he did and the way the media portrays him. But do you know why? None of you who took the time to write your own filthy personal hate mail knew the real Dominick Maldanado. It breaks my heart. And to any of you who have family or friends who were injured I pray they are ok and I'm deeply sorry. If you happen to read this Tom, will you please do a favor and DELETE this account or if anyone else sees this please inform him that it needs to be deleted. writing hate mail to someone in jail does you no good guys, you're not getting to him, if you want to send hate mail directly to him if you're THAT desperate go talk to the authorities otherwise don't waste your time here. Thank you so much. This profile was edited with MySpace Profile EditorMySpaceProfile Editor

-Rob
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 3:59:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Latest Blog Entry:

I love how most of you seem enjoy venting your anger on myspace towards someone you never knew. All you know is an incident that happened over the course of several hours. All you know is the hate you're supposed to feel towards this man because of something he did and the way the media portrays him. But do you know why? None of you who took the time to write your own filthy personal hate mail knew the real Dominick Maldanado. It breaks my heart. And to any of you who have family or friends who were injured I pray they are ok and I'm deeply sorry. If you happen to read this Tom, will you please do a favor and DELETE this account or if anyone else sees this please inform him that it needs to be deleted. writing hate mail to someone in jail does you no good guys, you're not getting to him, if you want to send hate mail directly to him if you're THAT desperate go talk to the authorities otherwise don't waste your time here. Thank you so much. This profile was edited with MySpace Profile EditorMySpaceProfile Editor

-Rob

Did we miss something?
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 4:08:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 4:12:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Found this on Glocktalk re the shooting.

found the source too John Farnam's Quips
--------------
 From John Farnam's website:

20Nov05

Active Shooter in Tacoma, WA Mall, from a friend at the scene:

"Today's shooting involved a twenty-year-old, Hispanic male, high on crystal meth. It was an attempted suicide-by-cop. However, during the entire incident, no police bullets were ever fired at the suspect. The suspect was armed with a CZ 9mm pistol, loaded with Remington Golden Saber ammunition. He also had a Kalashnikov clone (7.62X39, hardball ammunition) secreted in a guitar case.

He started by firing his pistol randomly down a mall corridor. He was jumped from behind by an unarmed mall patron who attempted to disarm him. In the ensuing struggle, the patron was hit four times in the torso before the suspect's badly-rusted and poorly maintained CZ experienced a stoppage which precluded additional shooting by the suspect. The heroic patron was the only person seriously injured during the incident. All other injuries were minor, mostly caused by ricochets and people being trampled during the panicked exit of mall shoppers.

With his pistol non-operational an apparently not knowing how to fix it, the suspect abandoned it and reverted to his AK, again firing randomly. Our ' Active-Shooter' training really paid off! First officers to arrive did not hesitate. They organized into the diamond formation and entered the mall building straightaway, moving toward the sound of gunfire. Some officers were armed with Ruger Mini-14s. Upon seeing advancing officers, then suspect ran into a mall store and took three hostages. Officers were successful in containing the suspect and clearing the rest of the mall.

Negotiations began. At one point, the suspect fell asleep! He eventually gave up and released all hostages. He is currently in custody, uninjured. No shots were fired by police."

Comment: As my friend indicated, "Active Shooter" training is critical for all departments, big and small. It surely worked here. The suspect was rapidly contained, and damage was minimized. SWAT teams were eventually involved, but the guys who heroically organized themselves and entered the building first were plain-vanilla patrolmen. They deserve a lot of credit. Good show, guys!

/John
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 5:12:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 7:52:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Bail bumped up by the judge to 2 million bucks.    Of course, he was just a troubled yute.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 7:57:34 PM EDT
[#22]
He plead not guilty:

Mall shooting suspect pleads not guilty

ANGIE LEVENTIS The News Tribune
Published: November 21st, 2005 07:11 PM

Tacoma Mall shooting suspect Dominick S. Maldonado enters a not guilty plea in Pierce County Superior Court. A lawyer from Pierce County Dept. of Assigned Council, Sverre O. Staurset, stands to his right.

Just moments before Sunday's shooting spree at the Tacoma Mall began, police dispatchers got a phone call from a man using Dominick S. Maldonado's cell phone.
He said he was armed with two assault weapons and was about to start shooting. When asked where he was going to shoot, the caller replied: "just follow the screams."

Those were some of the details released in court documents Monday as 20-year-old Maldonado plead not guilty. He was held in the Pierce County Jail in lieu of $2 million bail.

The suspect is accused of walking into the mall Sunday noon with an assault weapon and firing at eight people, hitting six of them. He also held four shoppers hostage in a music store, but later released them unharmed.

Maldonado turned himself in Sunday afternoon.

He faces charges on eight counts of first-degree assault, four counts of first-degree kidnapping and two counts of first-degree unlawful possession of a firearm.

According to court documents, Maldanado told detectives he suffered humilitation and other difficulties when he was a child. Recent emotional events and a desire to be heard led him to Sunday's actions, he said.

He said he didn't intend to shoot anyone but only hold them to get the attention of the news media, documents state.

In the bedroom of his East Tacoma apartment, investigators found a formula for making the poison ricin, bomb-making diagrams and materials and body targets, at least one of which had been shot through.

No evidence was found in his car, which was towed from the mall parking lot Sunday night.

Link Posted: 11/21/2005 9:46:38 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My coworker states that komotv had a picture of an AK-5 up last night....it's gone now.

Some of the cops were carrying Mini-14s.  Probably what you saw.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 10:06:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yup
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 11:27:06 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Had the shooter been using a mini-14, it might explain the relative inaccuracy of his shooting...

Link Posted: 11/22/2005 12:01:25 AM EDT
[#26]
So, I don't think I've read this yet...

Did any of the injuries that people recieved come from gunshot wounds?  Or did he just miss everyone?  It seems like the media would be saying "FIVE PEOPLE SHOT"  rather than "five people injured"
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 12:17:07 AM EDT
[#27]
I saw on the news that one person had been shot and the others were injured by ricochet or bullet impact schrapnel or from injuries suffered while running from the mall.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 1:29:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Sounds like there's 10,000 different stories on this.

Looks like we'll never hear what really happened, he had an ak5, he had 2 assault rifles, a 7.62 and a cz9mm,

right...

Truth please?

Link Posted: 11/22/2005 9:47:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Now they're saying he had a MACHINE pistol...sigh...idiots

www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/story/5349594p-4842775c.html

Police inquire how suspect got weapons

THE NEWS TRIBUNE
Published: November 22nd, 2005 02:30 AM
Dominick S. Maldonado shouldn’t have been able to buy a gun – but he carried two into the Tacoma Mall on Sunday, according to documents that charged him with multiple accounts of assault and kidnapping.

The charging papers note that Maldonado carried “two semi-automatic weapons,” described as “an assault rifle and a high-capacity semi-automatic machine pistol.” Documents do not describe the weapons in greater detail.

A judge’s order after a 1998 conviction in juvenile court prohibited Maldonado from possessing weapons. In theory, that should have prevented him from buying guns legally, according to Tacoma police spokesman Mark Fulghum.

Police are investigating how Maldonado acquired the firearms. The federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives is helping with the investigation.

ATF spokeswoman Julianne Marshall said finding the source of the guns is a question the agency hopes to answer, but she would not provide specifics, citing the investigation.

-- Sean Robinson, The News Tribune

Link Posted: 11/22/2005 10:54:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 1:20:23 PM EDT
[#31]
This idiot will be setting the legal tone for the rest of us.  It's too hot not to capitalize on, & the state democratic party needs a cause celebre to white-wash its corrupt image.  They've been aching for an opportunity.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 1:37:10 PM EDT
[#32]
www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10152701/

Was just reading this online, didn't see it posted in any of this yet.  Sorry if it is a duplicate....
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 1:44:58 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
This idiot will be setting the legal tone for the rest of us.  It's too hot not to capitalize on, & the state democratic party needs a cause celebre to white-wash its corrupt image.  They've been aching for an opportunity.

They will have to move very quickly. With the short attention span of the media and public it just won't be an issue by the time the next session rolls around. And unless he bought the guns on a 4473 it will be even less of an issue. Of course even then it will be just another criminal act by someone who already is a criminal.

"semi-automatic machine pistol" Still no pictures of the guns though. Must not be evil looking enough.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 1:52:13 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
"semi-automatic machine pistol" Still no pictures of the guns though. Must not be evil looking enough.

Im guessing Tec-9 because someone said his pistol jammed up, and then a AK of some sort.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 4:31:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Saw on Komo TV that the guy that got shot had a concealed weapon and was not able to draw it to shoot at the bad guy.

Tacoma police spokesman Mark Fulghum said detectives don't know if McKown simply brandished his handgun to show the gunman he was armed, or if he was preparing to fire the weapon. Witnesses told the family McKown was shot after he pulled the gun.

Man, I could say something, but out of respecrt for this guy I'll hold my thoughts.

www.komotv.com/stories/40392.htm
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 4:32:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Of course the shooting will lead the news, never mind that a train killed two boys and a knife killed one man over the weekend....

Train strikes, kills two young men

Two young men were struck by a train and killed Sunday while walking along the BNSF Railway tracks south of Tacoma, railroad officials said.

A Union Pacific freight train traveling from Tacoma to Portland struck the men, who were estimated to be 18 to 20 years old, said Gus Melonas, a railway spokesman.

The men's names were not immediately available.

One man was walking on the tracks and the other was beside them, Melonas said. The train, which had been traveling at 40 mph, sounded its horn repeatedly before attempting an emergency stop.

The accident occurred on the railroad's double main line, which was closed to all traffic about 4:10 p.m., about 12 ½ miles south of Tacoma and four miles north of Steilacoom.

The train was carrying three locomotives and 73 cars, Melonas said.

No cars derailed, and no railroad employees were injured. Melonas said there are no crossings in the area.

Railroad authorities and local police were investigating.

Kent
43-year-old dies in stabbing at pub

An off-duty employee was fatally stabbed in a fight at Eli's Pub in Kent about 1 a.m.

The 43-year-old, stabbed during a melee involving 10 to 12 people, died at the scene.

A 32-year-old customer also was stabbed and taken to a hospital.

The assailants fled the pub, at 24228 104th Ave. S.E., before police arrived.

Link Posted: 11/22/2005 4:38:47 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Tacoma police spokesman Mark Fulghum said detectives don't know if McKown simply brandished his handgun to show the gunman he was armed, or if he was preparing to fire the weapon. Witnesses told the family McKown was shot after he pulled the gun.

Man, I could say something, but out of respecrt for this guy I'll hold my thoughts.

I will say it...

You dont show your cards till it is time to throw down, even then guard your hand.

Not trashing on the guy, and I hope he pulls through.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 5:39:34 PM EDT
[#38]
King 5 just had a Picture of a TEC-9 and an SKS shown as the "assault weapons" he used in the shooting spree.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 6:06:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Were they pictures released by the police or prosecutor?  Or just stock photos like the one of the AK5 KOMO used?
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 6:21:19 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I will say it...

You dont show your cards till it is time to throw down, even then guard your hand.

And I'll add, Got cover?

Link Posted: 11/22/2005 6:24:50 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Of course the shooting will lead the news, never mind that a train killed two boys and a knife killed one man over the weekend....

Train strikes, kills two young men

Two young men were struck by a train and killed Sunday while walking along the BNSF Railway tracks south of Tacoma, railroad officials said.

A Union Pacific freight train traveling from Tacoma to Portland struck the men, who were estimated to be 18 to 20 years old, said Gus Melonas, a railway spokesman.

The men's names were not immediately available.

One man was walking on the tracks and the other was beside them, Melonas said. The train, which had been traveling at 40 mph, sounded its horn repeatedly before attempting an emergency stop.

The accident occurred on the railroad's double main line, which was closed to all traffic about 4:10 p.m., about 12 ½ miles south of Tacoma and four miles north of Steilacoom.

The train was carrying three locomotives and 73 cars, Melonas said.

No cars derailed, and no railroad employees were injured. Melonas said there are no crossings in the area.

Railroad authorities and local police were investigating.

Kent
43-year-old dies in stabbing at pub

An off-duty employee was fatally stabbed in a fight at Eli's Pub in Kent about 1 a.m.

The 43-year-old, stabbed during a melee involving 10 to 12 people, died at the scene.

A 32-year-old customer also was stabbed and taken to a hospital.

The assailants fled the pub, at 24228 104th Ave. S.E., before police arrived.

Nope wasn't on the news down here. But I haven't read the paper for a few day's it likely was in there.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 7:01:53 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I will say it...

And I'll add, Got cover?

I'm going to hold judgment too.  If there are people behind a subject then drawing and firing is not an option.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 7:10:05 PM EDT
[#43]
So nobody knows exactly what this little fuck had still?  And where the fuck did he get them?  Stolen?  
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 7:25:26 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
So nobody knows exactly what this little fuck had still?  And where the fuck did he get them?  Stolen?  

The pistol and rifle were both comblock, the rifle was 7.62x39

But it is always a bad idea to try to get weapons out of the hands of criminals, the best course is to arm all the able bodied and keep the criminals in the minority !

Link Posted: 11/23/2005 11:18:02 PM EDT
[#45]
From the Insights list....

23 Nov 05
Update on Tacoma, WA:

The rusty CZ, with the slide locked halfway due to a double-feed, that was found at the scene and assumed to have belonged to the suspect, as it turns out,  actually belonged to the victim!  The victim, the only one seriously injured in the incident, apparently attempted to shoot the suspect.  His  pistol
only fired once, and the shot missed.  The rusty, poorly maintained  CZ then double-fed, and had no further involvement.  

The victim was subsequently shot four times in the torso by the suspect.  The suspect himself brought a Tech-Nine clone (9mm) and a Kalashnikov clone, but, despite firing many shots, was unable to produce any further serious injuries.

Several additional lessons:
The mall where the incident took place has a "no firearms" policy, which supposedly applies even to people with valid CCW permits.  Of course, like all stupid, unenforceable rules, this one is
universally ignored, and should be!

The victim was indeed courageous as he tried to end the shooting spree.  However, carrying rusty, poorly-maintained pistols has its  risks!  I know nothing about his training, but he was obviously unable to  hit the suspect, didn't have a back-up pistol, and either did not try to, or was  unable  
to, get his pistol running after it experienced a stoppage.

When you have the heart of a lion, you had better have a lion's teeth and a lion's acumen also!

John

Lesson here is "Make sure you heat is in good working order, and you know how to use it!"

Thoughts and well-wishes to the victim and his family.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top