Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 5:12:21 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I don't fully understand the laws regarding self defense and in that situation if it is my responsability to defend myself and others from this guy, or if it is my responsability to "run out of the mall screaming like a little girl."

I think in this case, I would have felt OK about shooting back if it came down to it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 5:14:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd have to dig up the RCW, but in short it says you may shoot to prevent a felony.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 5:17:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I don't fully understand the laws regarding self defense and in that situation if it is my responsability to defend myself and others from this guy, or if it is my responsability to "run out of the mall screaming like a little girl."

Washington doesn't have a "duty to retreat" clause with regards to self defense or defense of others.  Since you see a madman shooting wildly around a mall, once is safe to assume that he is using deadly force.  You as John Q Citizen can use deadly force if you feel that your life is in jeopardy, or the life of a third party (wife, child, even a stranger on the street.)  Obviously others lives are in jeopardy in such a situation.

The tough call comes in when you see a man with a gun firing, and another man with a gun firing back.  Who is the "good guy?"  Or maybe they are both bad guys?  In this situation we all know the shooter to be a bad guy.

Lastly, a friend thought that Tacoma Mall might be a posted "no guns" place.  Anyone know for sure?  It it was, that policy and sign obviously was effective....
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 5:24:12 PM EDT
[#4]
My wife works at the mall but she had today off thank God. I would have been hollerin for a posse.

Link Posted: 11/20/2005 5:29:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 5:31:03 PM EDT
[#6]
So anyone hear what he was actually using?
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 5:36:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The shooter used a Semi-automatic/bolt-action/machine-gun/saturday-night-special/sniper-rifle/.50 cal/pray-and-spray/cheap/ak47,48,49/deadly-accurate/pocket-rocket/assault-rifle/revolver/bambi-killing/glock/sold-on-the-street-corner/high-end/hand-cannon according to the Tacoma Chief of Police and the King5 firearms expert......
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 5:40:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

KOMO 4 just said it was a AK-5 Assault rifle.

Here is the same pic...

They also made sure to make sure and show the spec's and tell everyone that it fires 600 rounds a min

Link Posted: 11/20/2005 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 5:45:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
They interviewed some of  the people that were inside. One of the women said something to the effect of "my husband pushed our daughter down out of the way and pulled his personal firearm."

Kudos to that guy!!  

Let's see if her statement ever gets mentioned again in the main stream media...

You know it wont get mentioned except on John's, Kirby's and/or Brian's show tomorow
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 5:46:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 5:46:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 5:50:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 5:55:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Scollins

I have gone into the mall many time's and have not seen anything posted, and if there were the guy that was protecting his daughter and wife would have been breaking that mall policy
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 6:21:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Interesting.  I've never even heard of an AK-5 before.

I take it from your comment, Tweak, that they're not terribly common in the US?  '89 Import Ban?
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 6:25:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

The shooter used a Semi-automatic/bolt-action/machine-gun/saturday-night-special/sniper-rifle/.50 cal/pray-and-spray/cheap/ak47,48,49/deadly-accurate/pocket-rocket/assault-rifle/revolver/bambi-killing/glock/sold-on-the-street-corner/high-end/hand-cannon according to the Tacoma Chief of Police and the King5 firearms expert......

That was brilliant!
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 6:28:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Interesting.  I've never even heard of an AK-5 before.

I take it from your comment, Tweak, that they're not terribly common in the US?  '89 Import Ban?

An amendment to the 1986 Firearms Owners' Protection Act banned private ownership of any machinegun not already in lawful ownership on the date of enactment, they could be transferred but no more could be added to the registry.  

The AK-5 is select fire.

Link Posted: 11/20/2005 6:31:09 PM EDT
[#18]
I as shooting steel at Paul Bunyan when my father called to tell me about the shooting.  Two of the guys in my squad had wives that had been shopping earlier there earlier in the day, talk about a few tense moments.

Here's a photo of the scumbag from The News Tribune, www.thenewstribune.com/news/breaking/v-photo/story/5347853p-4841130c.html?photo=1
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 6:37:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Wow a shirt and tie even...
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 6:45:23 PM EDT
[#20]
This must be why I always carry more than the daily 22LR when I go to the mall.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 6:46:41 PM EDT
[#21]
I have never seen any "NO GUN" signs at Tacoma Mall.

I have carried there plenty of times--but I would have been sorely outgunned in this case.

Wonder what our laws are for concealed rifle carry? I am assuming SKSGuy already has a rig for this
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 6:48:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Here's a photo of the scumbag from The News Tribune, www.thenewstribune.com/news/breaking/v-photo/story/5347853p-4841130c.html?photo=1

Hmmmmmm

Quoted:

Did anyone see a "Geek Squad" bug in the parking lot??  
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 6:54:09 PM EDT
[#23]
I think it is Keanu Reeves...
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 6:57:36 PM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 11/20/2005 7:20:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 7:35:45 PM EDT
[#26]
AK5's are available as kits if you can find them.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 7:37:55 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
this is going to sound funny considering what I've been doing the last coupla years but what does Tacoma Mall security wear?hr

http://www.afn.org/~afn34967/bonkers/rentacop.jpg  
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 7:43:44 PM EDT
[#28]
RCW 9A.16.020
Use of force -- When lawful.

The use, attempt, or offer to use force upon or toward the person of another is not unlawful in the following cases:

(1) Whenever necessarily used by a public officer in the performance of a legal duty, or a person assisting the officer and acting under the officer's direction;

(2) Whenever necessarily used by a person arresting one who has committed a felony and delivering him or her to a public officer competent to receive him or her into custody;

(3) Whenever used by a party about to be injured, or by another lawfully aiding him or her, in preventing or attempting to prevent an offense against his or her person, or a malicious trespass, or other malicious interference with real or personal property lawfully in his or her possession, in case the force is not more than is necessary;

(4) Whenever reasonably used by a person to detain someone who enters or remains unlawfully in a building or on real property lawfully in the possession of such person, so long as such detention is reasonable in duration and manner to investigate the reason for the detained person's presence on the premises, and so long as the premises in question did not reasonably appear to be intended to be open to members of the public;

(5) Whenever used by a carrier of passengers or the carrier's authorized agent or servant, or other person assisting them at their request in expelling from a carriage, railway car, vessel, or other vehicle, a passenger who refuses to obey a lawful and reasonable regulation prescribed for the conduct of passengers, if such vehicle has first been stopped and the force used is not more than is necessary to expel the offender with reasonable regard to the offender's personal safety;

(6) Whenever used by any person to prevent a mentally ill, mentally incompetent, or mentally disabled person from committing an act dangerous to any person, or in enforcing necessary restraint for the protection or restoration to health of the person, during such period only as is necessary to obtain legal authority for the restraint or custody of the person.

Oh yeah, and if ya killed the guy, the following would also apply:

RCW 9A.16.050
Homicide -- By other person -- When justifiable.

Homicide is also justifiable when committed either:

(1) In the lawful defense of the slayer, or his or her husband, wife, parent, child, brother, or sister, or of any other person in his presence or company, when there is reasonable ground to apprehend a design on the part of the person slain to commit a felony or to do some great personal injury to the slayer or to any such person, and there is imminent danger of such design being accomplished; or

(2) In the actual resistance of an attempt to commit a felony upon the slayer, in his presence, or upon or in a dwelling, or other place of abode, in which he is.

I highlighted in red the parts that would apply to a mall-goer who elected to shoot the SOB.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 8:06:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Sounds like they got the punk. Fox said it was the end result of a life of being bullied. WTF.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 8:37:10 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Sounds like they got the punk. Fox said it was the end result of a life of being bullied. WTF.

Well, it must be OK then.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 8:41:23 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/20/2005 10:50:00 PM EDT
[#32]
It is just a shame that there couldn't have been one last bully in this assholes life.

I wonder when local law enforcement will be allowed to institute a no negotiation policy for these damn people. Hostage negotiations should end when someone gets a clear shot. Who gives two shits why he did it? When we start shooting these idiots instead of helping them we will stop having these problems. I also find it hard to believe that mall wasn't full of folks with guns, a few were probably even legally owned. Its a shame someone couldn't have ended this right off the bat, that would have been a huge victory for the pro gunners.

At least at this point no one was killed.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 10:55:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 10:56:06 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmmmmm

Quoted:

Did anyone see a "Geek Squad" bug in the parking lot??  

Man I was just thinking the same thing when I saw the guy on TV.  Guess he forgot to attach extras on his Geek Squad services and his Manager came down hard for the last time!

Link Posted: 11/20/2005 11:08:38 PM EDT
[#35]

The kid that shot up the mall...this is his My Space Blog:

profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=3492351&Mytoken=B1041D79-5BF1-40D8-95B7A9A6050533CD373789531

Tacoma Native.

This deserves a "fuck you, asshole"...god I hope he gets stabbed in the eye.

-Rob
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 11:13:07 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It will be. He is going to get some time on the couch with the shrink, then they will give him a real light "stay" as long as he goes on the road to tell everyone how bad "Evil Assault Rifles" are.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 11:25:17 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
myspace-429.vo.llnwd.net/00026/92/49/26499429_m.jpg

profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=3492351&Mytoken=B1041D79-5BF1-40D8-95B7A9A6050533CD373789531

Tacoma Native.

This deserves a "fuck you, asshole"

-Rob

Great, he's a fan of Michael Moore even (f911 is listed as a fave movie).
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 11:39:05 PM EDT
[#38]
ive seen this kid before
been in my starbucks a few times

he was always with friends, i dont see where he was oppressed or bullied
oh well, just means its going to be even harder to keep the sunset of the awb in place

god help those who try to remove my means of self preservation, especially when there's fools like this running about, he's terribly misguided, and has done nothing but feed more of the media's lies and anti-gun propaganda against "automatic death ray weapons..., which can easily be acquired at stores such as walmart, even as a minor or illegal immigrant!!!  think of your children!!!!"

right.  this kid needs to find god, before someone "jumps the gun", and forces him to find god face to face just before he's judged
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 12:20:32 AM EDT
[#39]
The "I was Beat-up" mentality is a laywer created defense.

The dick-wipe that shot up my son's school (Santana) tried the same defense.

It was all bullshit. These kids are typically loners who only percieve bullying, whether it exists or not.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 1:15:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 4:03:06 AM EDT
[#41]
http://www.king5.com/topstories/stories/NW_112005WABtacomamallJK.15720564.html

Here's the story as updated by KING 5 TV

Apparently, the shooter has a criminal record going back to 1998 that includes burglary
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 5:14:09 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
myspace-429.vo.llnwd.net/00026/92/49/26499429_m.jpg

Tacoma Native.

This deserves a "fuck you, asshole"

-Rob

Great, he's a fan of Michael Moore even (f911 is listed as a fave movie).

He also has Catcher in the Rye  listed as a favorite book.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 6:11:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Just my guess...but from his capture photo...it looks like he was dressing like "Matrix" Neo....minus the jacket.

Link Posted: 11/21/2005 6:45:21 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Just my guess...but from his capture photo...it looks like he was dressing like "Matrix" Neo....minus the jacket.

He had a trench on when it all started.  I'm sure that got yanked off in order to search him.

Time to ban trenchcoats.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 6:55:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Lin k

Court records show Maldonado has a juvenile criminal history dating back to 1998. He has been convicted of burglary, theft and trafficking in stolen property, and the records indicate he had been ordered by a judge not to possess any weapons.

Are any of his prior criminal charges crimes that would preclude weapons ownership??

Link Posted: 11/21/2005 6:56:28 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He had a trench on when it all started.  I'm sure that got yanked off in order to search him.

Time to ban trenchcoats.

I think they already tried that in the local schools after Columbine.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 7:05:06 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Lin k

Court records show Maldonado has a juvenile criminal history dating back to 1998. He has been convicted of burglary, theft and trafficking in stolen property, and the records indicate he had been ordered by a judge not to possess any weapons.

Are any of his prior criminal charges crimes that would preclude weapons ownership??

Kirby mentioned this morning that he was ordered by a judge to not own firearms....looks like it worked.

Pierce County Crimininal Search comes up with no records for him....must have been sealed because he was a minor

Link Posted: 11/21/2005 8:34:32 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Lin k

The ones I saw were all typical Juvie Rat Bastard shit- Res Burg, Poss Stolen Prop, Assault.
The weapons ownership clause was probably a condition of his probation..

Link Posted: 11/21/2005 9:25:23 AM EDT
[#49]
I want to know when the anti's are going to start realising that the people that do this kind of shit don't pay attention to the law anyways and making more laws is just going to make us (law abiding gun owners) less able to defend ourselves because we actually pay attention to the law unlike the scumbags that do this shit.  

Now watch, the mall is going to put up signs saying that we can't carry in there.  I read in the paper this morning that there have been like 5 other shootings in and around the tacoma mall.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 9:28:37 AM EDT
[#50]
My coworker states that komotv had a picture of an AK-5 up last night....it's gone now.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top