Link Posted: 2/8/2024 9:49:28 PM EDT
[#1]

2.23/53.93
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 12:20:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By R3L04D:
3.7/145.4

Took a break from lifting a while back, but am back at it. Body hurts. But it's good. Gotta get ready for the beach

Interested in feedback on a hybrid schedule.

Run
Mon-Thurs: Mixed run types
Sat: Long easy run

Lift
Mon & Thurs
Should I lift full body both days?
Alternate upper/lower?
I was also thinking a pattern of full body, upper, full, lower over 2 weeks but that might be unnecessarily complicated

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
4.7/141.7
3.7/145.4

Took a break from lifting a while back, but am back at it. Body hurts. But it's good. Gotta get ready for the beach

Run

Lift
Mon & Thurs
Alternate upper/lower?
I was also thinking a pattern of full body, upper, full, lower over 2 weeks but that might be unnecessarily complicated

I lift Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and run Monday (long easy run), Wednesday (easy short run), Thursday (interval or speed work), Saturday (cadence or interval).

I do full body all days.

My schedule looks Something like this;
Monday: eat, row, stiff leg bar deadlift, nordics, shoulder press, bench press, pull ups, something stupid my trainer feels I should do. Take off, go grab some coffee, eat a snack, go for a run, have lunch, continue on and enjoy what’s left of my day off, eat dinner, sleep.

Tuesday: eat, row, front squat, box jumps, bridges, single arm dumbbell rows, farmers carry, something stupid my trainer has cooked up. Eat, Go to work. Eat, sleep.  

Wednesday: get up and run. Get the kids food and myself, get them on the bus. Go to work. Eat, work, eat, sleep.

Thursday: eats, row, hex bar deadlifts, single leg RDLs, some form of shoulder work, dumbbell press, barbell rows, pull ups, and some more trainer inspired bullshit. Eat. Go to work, run, eat, sleep.

Friday: wake up, eat, row, back squats, lunges or spilt squats, step ups, bridges, some auxiliary stuff, and by now my trainer has seen all my weaknesses all week long and has whatever bullshit she wants me doing, and, as you may have noticed, this day is called “all the quads must die” day, and she’s dialed it into pure torture.
Eat, work, eat, sleep.

Saturday is much simpler: eat, work, eat, work, run, beer, eat, sleep.

Sunday, rest. I work, but eat light and make sure to get some walks in after meals.

I’ve been maintaining this schedule, more or less, for a year now and it seems to be fine as long as I eat and sleep properly. If this get out of wack, i go downhill quickly.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 9:12:35 AM EDT
[#3]
4.7/156.8
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 10:34:11 AM EDT
[#4]
3.7/145.4

Run

Lift
Mon & Thurs
Alternate upper/lower?

View Quote

Are you doing any running workouts? If so, lift on those days. Hard days hard, easy days easy. If no running workouts, lift whenever.

Full body should be fine, though of a split works better for you do that.

I started lifting for the first time in my life back in November. StrongLifts 5x5 M/W/F. Those are also the days I do (or will do, with respect to Friday) my running workouts. Those days can be tough, but it allows for the recovery days in between to be really easy on effort.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 10:34:56 AM EDT
[#5]
10.5 / 371
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 12:10:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R3L04D] [#6]
3.7/145.4
View Quote
12.5/157.9

Rainy run today. I don't mind the rain honestly other than getting wet socks
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 12:53:36 PM EDT
[#7]
16.1 / 387

I felt really good on this today. It seems like my fitness is really starting to come back.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 2:59:25 PM EDT
[#8]
7.1 over last 2 days/163.9
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 1:57:10 PM EDT
[#9]
3.23/57.16
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 2:34:27 PM EDT
[#10]
5 / 392

36°, windy, drizzly. DD3 ran the first 1/3 mile around the block with me, DD2 was with me for the first 1.4 miles.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 10:52:12 AM EDT
[#11]
9.3/173.2
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 1:15:03 PM EDT
[#12]
12.5/157.9

Rainy run today. I don't mind the rain honestly other than getting wet socks
View Quote
Tempo workout after leg day
3.7/161.6
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 6:17:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dupemaster] [#13]
6.25/63.41

Got bit by a dog for the first time on a run.

Hit me in the calf, ankle, and wrist.

Didn’t break the skin, but my calf is feeling it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 8:57:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By dupemaster:
6.25/63.41

Didn't break the skin, but my calf is feeling it.
View Quote

I've been thinking about my lack of defense while running. There have been some spicy dogs I've crossed paths with and wondered what I would do if I was attacked
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 9:34:17 PM EDT
[#15]

I've been thinking about my lack of defense while running. There have been some spicy dogs I've crossed paths with and wondered what I would do if I was attacked
View All Quotes
6.25/63.41

@dupemaster

That sucks, man, I've been there. May even still have the little scar on my left butt cheek (great Dane).

@R3L04D

Pepper spray works well - I've sent a few scrambling away with just a quick burst.

That said, I've discovered the few places with possible trouble dogs and avoid those and now only carry the spray when I'm running in a new area.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 9:37:45 PM EDT
[#16]
11.62 + 6.23 / 410

Nailed the pacing on my first workout (5x 2k repeats at marathon effort on the treadmill), horribly missed on the second workout (outside, 1 minute "supposed to be" marathon effort, 1 minute recovery).

Also StrongLifts 5x5 and PRs on all those lifts.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 11:47:09 PM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes
6.25/63.41

I know it’s sounds naive, but I don’t run with any form of defense. I make sure to run in places and at times that are incredibly unlikely to have any sort of altercation (usually including dogs). I don’t even bring my phone with me.

That said, It was one of those things that happened is such a way, I’m not sure the outcome would have been any different had I had something on me.

There was a lady and her kid waking down the sidewalk away from me. I never saw a dog. They turned down a side trail or something and disappeared for 30 seconds or so. When they popped out, the dog turned and rushed to me, it didn’t seem like any sort of aggressive act, so I didn’t divert or even slow down. I’m pretty sure it was a short hair setter of some sort, not a typical violent dog… it ended up running past me and I thought that was that. It wasn’t barking or growling, but then it popped me from behind a couple seconds after it passed. I was 5.25 miles into a 6 mile run and didn’t feel much. The bites seemed more playful than anything in the moment. They were hard, but he let go immediately. I didn’t even react. Other than to lift my arms a bit and told the dog “you’re ok, buddy” and kept going. He stopped and all was good. I hind sight, it’s pretty clear the dog was acting in defense and once it realized I wasn’t a threat, he dropped the issue.

The part that surprised me more than anything was the owner of the dog (leash in hand, btw) ran right past me with a look of horror, as if she was just trying to make sure the big bad man didn’t harm her fucking dog. I slowed a bit expecting to stop and talk to her, but she never even looked at me… I just yelled back “don’t worry, I’m fine”.

I did t realize how hard he bit my calf till I was a couple hundred yards from the park I stated at and was starting to have a noticeable limp.

On a second look, now that I’m home and took the tights off, it did indeed puncture my calf a bit. Nothing major, but it’s sore and feels like I took a solid kick. My wrist is red and a little swollen.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 9:45:29 AM EDT
[#18]
3.5/176.7
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 9:57:32 AM EDT
[#19]

I know it’s sounds naive, but I don’t run with any form of defense. I make sure to run in places and at times that are incredibly unlikely to have any sort of altercation (usually including dogs). I don’t even bring my phone with me.

That said, It was one of those things that happened is such a way, I’m not sure the outcome would have been any different had I had something on me.

There was a lady and her kid waking down the sidewalk away from me. I never saw a dog. They turned down a side trail or something and disappeared for 30 seconds or so. When they popped out, the dog turned and rushed to me, it didn’t seem like any sort of aggressive act, so I didn’t divert or even slow down. I’m pretty sure it was a short hair setter of some sort, not a typical violent dog… it ended up running past me and I thought that was that. It wasn’t barking or growling, but then it popped me from behind a couple seconds after it passed. I was 5.25 miles into a 6 mile run and didn’t feel much. The bites seemed more playful than anything in the moment. They were hard, but he let go immediately. I didn’t even react. Other than to lift my arms a bit and told the dog “you’re ok, buddy” and kept going. He stopped and all was good. I hind sight, it’s pretty clear the dog was acting in defense and once it realized I wasn’t a threat, he dropped the issue.

The part that surprised me more than anything was the owner of the dog (leash in hand, btw) ran right past me with a look of horror, as if she was just trying to make sure the big bad man didn’t harm her fucking dog. I slowed a bit expecting to stop and talk to her, but she never even looked at me… I just yelled back “don’t worry, I’m fine”.

I did t realize how hard he bit my calf till I was a couple hundred yards from the park I stated at and was starting to have a noticeable limp.

On a second look, now that I’m home and took the tights off, it did indeed puncture my calf a bit. Nothing major, but it’s sore and feels like I took a solid kick. My wrist is red and a little swollen.
View Quote

I'll 2nd the pepper spray. Get something with a high percentage like Sabre Red Phantom. We use it at work (Federal Prison) and it's pretty potent. You could of at least sprayed the dog's owner and received instant gratification! ha
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 10:16:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Tempo workout after leg day
3.7/161.6
View Quote
Easy run
3.7/165.3

Anyone sit in an office chair all day? I feel like sitting is really hard on my legs. Tightness, aches, discomfort. Going to look into another chair that might be more ergonomic.

I also struggle with sitting in cars for more then a few hours at a time.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:03:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Easy run
3.7/165.3

Anyone sit in an office chair all day? I feel like sitting is really hard on my legs. Tightness, aches, discomfort. Going to look into another chair that might be more ergonomic.

View Quote

Yes, I do. A pretty old but comfy wing back. I've been 98.87% WFH for 5 or 6 years now and I'm not nearly as good are getting up and walking around or up and down stairs as I was when I was in an office.

Having started going to the gym (mostly on my lunch breaks) helps break things up some, but I still sit much more than I'd like.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 9:12:08 PM EDT
[#22]

3.24/66.65
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 9:24:18 PM EDT
[#23]
4.5/181.2
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 5:47:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Trod7308:
5/125.7
View Quote

7/132.7
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 9:46:07 PM EDT
[#25]
3.1 + 3.5/187.8
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 12:09:14 PM EDT
[#26]

2.0/68.65
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 12:52:54 PM EDT
[#27]
5/137.7
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 1:13:10 PM EDT
[#28]
5.5 / 179.3

I work from home when I'm not traveling (sales engineer). When running outside, I always have a knife clipped in my waist band. I've only had to kick one dog, a tiny ankle-biter, in a neighborhood near my house. A few years ago, I was in AZ and went for an early morning run at Talking Stick Resort. I hadn't seen humans around for a while when I heard a pack of coyotes. It was weird, because they were coming my way but several hundred yards out. When they split into two groups, I started to worry a bit. A few minutes later, I came across some groundskeepers, and the 'yotes veered off. Probably wouldn't have been anything, but it was definitely weird.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 2:04:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By sgt_seti:
5.5 / 179.3

I work from home when I'm not traveling (sales engineer). When running outside, I always have a knife clipped in my waist band. I've only had to kick one dog, a tiny ankle-biter, in a neighborhood near my house. A few years ago, I was in AZ and went for an early morning run at Talking Stick Resort. I hadn't seen humans around for a while when I heard a pack of coyotes. It was weird, because they were coming my way but several hundred yards out. When they split into two groups, I started to worry a bit. A few minutes later, I came across some groundskeepers, and the 'yotes veered off. Probably wouldn't have been anything, but it was definitely weird.
View Quote

@sgt_seti

We have the same job. Which industry or vertical are you in?

I did some running in Arizona during a conference a couple years ago but never saw any coyotes, even in a desert area near Phoenix.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 2:53:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sgt_seti] [#30]
Originally Posted By Commander_Keen:

@sgt_seti

We have the same job. Which industry or vertical are you in?

I did some running in Arizona during a conference a couple years ago but never saw any coyotes, even in a desert area near Phoenix.
View Quote

@Commander_Keen

I'm in cyber-security, specifically crypto-hardware and related.

I started running in '15 when I took this job. I've probably told the story before. At first, it was just a little to offset the amount I ate and drank while on the road. We had a very liberal expense account and enjoyed it. But, I started tracking time/distance. Seeing the improvements in a spreadsheet was what I needed to be consistent. The first 6 months, I logged 120 miles -- total. The following year, it was 600. I hit 1210 miles for the 2021 challenge as my peak so far. Of course, threads like this have been excellent motivation, too.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:44:27 PM EDT
[#31]
9.4/197.2
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 2:07:18 PM EDT
[#32]

4.27/72.92
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 6:51:22 PM EDT
[#33]
2 / 458

Same as yesterday. I've had a bit of a big since Wednesday, but over the weekend it kicked in and I've just felt too tired to actually get in a long run.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 11:27:42 PM EDT
[#34]
4.5/201.7
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 2:01:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trod7308] [#35]
11.1/148.8
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 4:10:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Easy run
3.7/165.3

View Quote
10.2/175.5
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 4:14:47 PM EDT
[#37]
8.0 / 187.3
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 6:50:50 PM EDT
[#38]

8.24/81.16

Took my kid on his bike with me.

I don’t think he wants to do it again.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 9:34:58 PM EDT
[#39]
7.85 / 466

I've been feeling a bit under the weather lately (mostly fatigue in the mornings) but got my energy back earlier in the day than usual. Only did 4x of 11 mile intervals to make sure I didn't dig myself into a hole, but it felt good to run fast.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 9:57:19 PM EDT
[#40]
16/199

Well on my pace to run at least 100 miles per month. Decided to run the Honolulu marathon in December so now I have something to train towards. I don’t run with water or phone or anything so I wanted to start seeing how far I could get before fatigue really started to affect performance and I could start planning a gel cycle. Seems like right now that mark is at 15 miles.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 10:30:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By bip_master:
16/199

Well on my pace to run at least 100 miles per month. Decided to run the Honolulu marathon in December so now I have something to train towards. I don't run with water or phone or anything so I wanted to start seeing how far I could get before fatigue really started to affect performance and I could start planning a gel cycle. Seems like right now that mark is at 15 miles.
View Quote
Honolulu! Sounds like a cool place to run a marathon. Going on a trip there or just feel like traveling?  

I'm toying with training for one myself.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 8:22:12 PM EDT
[#42]
6.7/208.4
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 8:39:29 PM EDT
[#43]
10.2/175.5
View Quote
3.8/179.3
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 10:02:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Honolulu! Sounds like a cool place to run a marathon. Going on a trip there or just feel like traveling?  

View All Quotes
16/199

Well on my pace to run at least 100 miles per month. Decided to run the Honolulu marathon in December so now I have something to train towards. I don't run with water or phone or anything so I wanted to start seeing how far I could get before fatigue really started to affect performance and I could start planning a gel cycle. Seems like right now that mark is at 15 miles.

The Army is moving me there this summer.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:39:18 AM EDT
[#45]
7/155.8
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:48:47 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote
Good luck. Will this be your first marathon? Which training program will you follow?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:49:29 PM EDT
[#47]
3.8/179.3
View Quote
6.9/186.2
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:23:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Good luck. Will this be your first marathon? Which training program will you follow?
View All Quotes

First marathon. Not on a training program, just running.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:30:59 PM EDT
[#49]
4/212.4
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 2:02:12 AM EDT
[#50]

4.24/85.40
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top