Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Tacked What's in your bowl? (Page 4 of 61)
Page / 61
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 11:12:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Black Magic courtesy of Slavac

we need to get this thread thumb tacked
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 3:31:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Blend called 1865 that is said to be similar to blends smoked back in that year.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 6:02:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By runs_with_scissors:

What'd you think of it?

I'm smoking..well...I don't remember the name.  Hill Cigar got a new bulk cube-cut tobacco in and I've never had a cubecut so I got 2oz.  Pretty good, but I think I prefer aromatics.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 9:28:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: runs_with_scissors] [#4]
Originally Posted By Slavac:

What'd you think of it?

I'm smoking..well...I don't remember the name.  Hill Cigar got a new bulk cube-cut tobacco in and I've never had a cubecut so I got 2oz.  Pretty good, but I think I prefer aromatics.
It was a good smoke.  The pipe I used needs to be cleaned big time.  As I don't think I was getting a good taste of that tobacco.  Smelled good.  I'll get you a better report with a different pipe on a different day.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 9:33:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I smoke half a bowl of aristocrat on my lunch break the last couple days and finish the bowl off on the drive home.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 9:49:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ttushooter:
I smoke half a bowl of aristocrat on my lunch break the last couple days and finish the bowl off on the drive home.

Speaking of,  How long can I let a partially smoked bowl sit.  I did this with some of my English blend for about 12 hours.  And it got me thinking of time frames.
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 3:37:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Squadron Leader then bed
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 8:46:56 PM EDT
[#8]

What'd you think of it?

It was a good smoke.  The pipe I used needs to be cleaned big time.  As I don't think I was getting a good taste of that tobacco.  Smelled good.  I'll get you a better report with a different pipe on a different day.

Smoked a bowl little while ago in my churchwarden.  Didn't get hot at all nice easy cavandish smoke.   Liked this alot thanks Slavac.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 9:20:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Yesterday: 2 bowls of Frog Morton Across The Pond.  Tasted like the incense they use at Church.

Today: McConnell's Scottish Cake.  Just ok.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 9:28:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By elderboy02:
Yesterday: 2 bowls of Frog Morton Across The Pond.  Tasted like the incense they use at Church.

Today: McConnell's Scottish Cake.  Just ok.

That sounds about right.  I don't like any of McClelland's English blends.  Maybe it's because of the PG, I don't know.  If I smoke and McC blends, it's always their Va blends.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 4:14:11 PM EDT
[#11]
This past weekend:

Butera Royal Vintage Blended Flake

Just for Him Middle Earth - Treebeard and Shortcut to Mushrooms
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 4:51:46 PM EDT
[#12]
This morning:
Astleys #44
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:10:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Black magic while setting coyote traps.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:29:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Slavac's care package...

past couple of days McClelland Take 6 out of filtered and unfiltered cob's.

Made me dump out the jar of Captain Black I had for reserve/nonsense smoking.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:28:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Smoking ensign. The rub is I dunno who makes it. Ensign is all I know about it. Help?  It's an aromatic
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:45:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Had a bowl of MB Va#1
yum!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:51:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Smoking ensign. The rub is I dunno who makes it. Ensign is all I know about it. Help?  It's an aromatic

I don't see it on TobaccoReviews.com.  Probably some shop's name for some Lane bulk blend.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:37:42 PM EDT
[#18]
More aristocrat today while at lunch.  Although I may go buy me a bit of something different on the drive home as I'm going on a road trip this weekend and am looking for something to smoke in the car.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:41:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bullofspadez] [#19]
Second blend in the Slavac care package.

McClelland RSVP...This stuff is pure potpourri in a very smoke-able form.  This smells amazing out of the bag.  I could truly put this into bags and hang them everywhere.  

And it went soooo perfectly with my afternoon $4 cup o joe (Irish Cream Latte).  This may be my locked in coffee smoke.  Gotta try it again tomorrow I think, like I needed another reason to drink coffee and smoke.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:59:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trumpet] [#20]
Originally Posted By ken_mays:

I don't see it on TobaccoReviews.com.  Probably some shop's name for some Lane bulk blend.

Most likely.  It's a Smoker's Haven blend blended by John Davidson Tobacco in Edison Park NJ

http://www.smokershavennj.com/files/PipeTobacco.pdf
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:25:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Some dark twist while getting things set up to wait for the pack of coyotes tonight.  Going to teach them a lesson for waking me up at 2 in the morning.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:56:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bullofspadez] [#22]
Popped open a tin of McClelland British Woods.  Packed one of the churchwarden's and sat outside listening to the high school football game behind the house.  Home team sounded like they were getting whooped.  OH well...decent smoke though.  Light sweetness and light on the lakatia, could use a bit more.

ETA.  fixed put in the wrong name.  I read the ingredients and when I went to post forgot the name and wrote the wrong one.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:33:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Trumpet:

Most likely.  It's a Smoker's Haven blend blended by John Davidson Tobacco in Edison Park NJ

http://www.smokershavennj.com/files/PipeTobacco.pdf

Sounds like that's it!  Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:14:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By bullofspadez:
Popped open a tin of McClelland Blackwoods Flake.  Packed one of the churchwarden's and sat outside listening to the high school football game behind the house.  Home team sounded like they were getting whooped.  OH well...decent smoke though.  Light sweetness and light on the lakatia, could use a bit more.

VERY light...as in none.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:26:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Trumpet:
Originally Posted By bullofspadez:
Popped open a tin of McClelland Blackwoods Flake.  Packed one of the churchwarden's and sat outside listening to the high school football game behind the house.  Home team sounded like they were getting whooped.  OH well...decent smoke though.  Light sweetness and light on the lakatia, could use a bit more.

VERY light...as in none.

Fixed above...Thanks for the catch...I wrote the wrong name.
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 4:52:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Butera Royal Vintage - Blended Flake
Link Posted: 9/20/2010 7:20:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Recently been smoking Captain Black-White while waiting for my new order to come in.  It finally came in and now I get to finally try some Anniversary Kake....
Link Posted: 9/20/2010 7:25:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Half_Rack] [#28]
Had a bowl of habana daydream last night.
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 9:15:35 PM EDT
[#29]
butternut burley in a estate refinished nording signature
Link Posted: 9/23/2010 3:30:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Ashton  blend called winding road. I enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2010 8:12:25 PM EDT
[#31]
PS-48 Golden Dansk.  Got 3-4oz free at the local cigar co.

It's a very mild aeromatic...which I don't think I quite like.  Willing to give it some aging time.
Link Posted: 9/24/2010 11:23:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Esoterica Penzance in a Brebbia Canadian.
Link Posted: 9/25/2010 11:25:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Ambassador's Blend from PipesandCigars.com

I'm telling you, this stuff is surprisingly good. Mellow, mild and well-balanced. And cheap.

If you order something from PipesandCigars, I'd add a few ounces. You won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 9/26/2010 4:03:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By kdj70:
Esoterica Penzance

+1
Link Posted: 9/27/2010 1:26:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Had some Astleys #44 and #109 yesterday. Perhaps it was the high humidity but even after a lengthy drying time they both still burned unusually wet and fussy to maintain a light.
Link Posted: 9/27/2010 2:45:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By ex_dsmr:
Had some Astleys #44 and #109 yesterday. Perhaps it was the high humidity but even after a lengthy drying time they both still burned unusually wet and fussy to maintain a light.

Wow, Astley's has never let me down.  Don't give up.
Link Posted: 9/27/2010 5:21:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By ex_dsmr:

Wow, Astley's has never let me down.  Don't give up.

Dont worry, no way in hell I could give up Astleys
They are some of my favorite VA's.
In all honesty I should have probably waited till another day. It had been cold and wet the last 2 days with heat and humidity a few days before that.
It was just very wet throughout the smoke.
Link Posted: 9/28/2010 5:01:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Had a bowl of MB London Burly Blend this morning, a perfect pick for the cooler weather we are getting into.
The best way to describe it is this:
It reminds me of a hearty stew. Its bold, flavorfull, and thick, with a rich warming aroma not unlike roasted pecans.
Link Posted: 9/28/2010 8:53:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Almost done with the Middle earth sampler.  Tried the Ruins of Isengard again...
Link Posted: 10/2/2010 9:19:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Tried some Milk and Honey from pipesandcigars.com            Not really my cup of tea.  But the Butternut Burley is as good as everyone has said.  Will be ordering a pound of it next order.
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 11:08:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 11:39:42 PM EDT
[#42]

Tacked.

We've got a cigar daily diary thread, gotta spread the love to the pipe smokers as well

Thank you Mister Moderator Sir.  I'm about half way through another bowl of black magic.  Need to start smoking more or I'll never finish this.
Link Posted: 10/8/2010 8:41:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Had a bowl of Peter Stokkebye Balkan Supreme on wednesday and had my tonsils out yesterday.  Talk about something I should have had done as a child!  I can't even talk and I can barely get a sip of water down.  Hopefully it wont be long before I can get back to my pipes and cigars.  I need to make some room for that box of Unholy Cocktails that just came in.
Link Posted: 10/9/2010 11:38:20 AM EDT
[#44]
I take back what I said out Milk and Honey, I've been smoking it all week and love the scotch casing on it.  It's amazing how the same tobacco tastes differently in different pipes, wet vs. dry, etc.   Today I'm going to try some Cornell and Diehl  After Hours Flake.
Link Posted: 10/10/2010 2:12:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Some more black magic.  Got to finish what I got open so I can crack open my can of Devil's Holiday
Link Posted: 10/10/2010 3:48:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Butera Royal blended flake...this stuff just smokes weird.  Its good when its on.  But tends to overpack, even with lite tamping.  And gets pretty hot.
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 2:17:42 PM EDT
[#47]
As with all other flakes, I've found that if you rub it out and let it "rest" on a paper towel for a couple hours prior to smoking really makes it smoke much better.  I'm not sure iButera uses PG, buu if they do then this will definately help.
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 7:47:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Smokin' on some Gordon Pym this evening. Really like this stuff !! Got some Squadron Leader and Full VA Flake on the way.
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 8:13:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By kdj70:
Smokin' on some Gordon Pym this evening. Really like this stuff !! Got some Squadron Leader and Full VA Flake on the way.

Yeah...I am missing the Pym.  I was almost turned off by one review that said it was like smoking a brown paper bag.  But after getting it once...If I didn't still have that pesky Dunhill pre-order still floating in limbo.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 9:50:51 PM EDT
[#50]
GL Pease day Chelsea this AM. Followed up with their Westminster on the way home. Changed up and am having some McB's Plumcake Navy Blend for dessert after dinner.
Page / 61
Tacked What's in your bowl? (Page 4 of 61)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top