BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 6:01:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By OverScoped:
Not only that but The scales should be closed.
View Quote

I almost always get the PrePass green light.  Even if I don't I've never  had a full inspection in a car hauler with this company.  Only lights and tires.

My company has a very good reputation and one of the best safety ratings in the trucking industry.  Our average fleet age is <3 model years, and our equipment is 100% disc brake equipped.

Also, DOT inspectors are lazy and hate car haulers.  We sit so low it's impossible to do a thorough inspection without a pit.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 6:35:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoseCuervo] [#2]
Phuzzy, do you have to measure each car with a tape for height and / or length? Can you adjust each "landing" on the trailer?  A [brief] writeup on what you have to do for each car or load would be cool.

Thanks

I wish you could have a nice day off to yourself or family, but I do understand the payoff.

Be safe!
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 7:18:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By PhuzzyGnu:

I almost always get the PrePass green light.  Even if I don't I've never  had a full inspection in a car hauler with this company.  Only lights and tires.

My company has a very good reputation and one of the best safety ratings in the trucking industry.  Our average fleet age is <3 model years, and our equipment is 100% disc brake equipped.

Also, DOT inspectors are lazy and hate car haulers.  We sit so low it's impossible to do a thorough inspection without a pit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Not only that but The scales should be closed.

I haven't been inspected For a couple years.

I keep my truck looking good and slow way down to 5 miles an hour when I go past...
They wave me through every time.

Link Posted: 7/3/2023 7:38:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PhuzzyGnu] [#4]
Originally Posted By JoseCuervo:
Phuzzy, do you have to measure each car with a tape for height and / or length? Can you adjust each "landing" on the trailer?  A [brief] writeup on what you have to do for each car or load would be cool.

View Quote
I haul thousands of cars a year so I know the dimensions of most vehicles.  Most manufacturer's cars are pretty much the same as other manufacture's dimensionally within the same class.

If I don't know the dimensions I'll Google them.  

For example:

Attachment Attached File

This tells me that a Telluride is slightly longer, taller, and wider than a Toyota Highlander.

The truck has holes on the decks for strap hook placement and I know how many holes wide most vehicles are so I can center them. I also know how long most are and therefore where to stop. TRD Pro Tundras are long and wide and fun to back down into the belly of the trailer in the rain.

Attachment Attached File

I load the truck in this order:

Attachment Attached File

Once the cars are on and strapped down I set the locking pins and lower the decks down.  Since I've pretty much loaded every combination of car and truck and I know how tall most vehicles are in each position I can usually just walk around, set the pins, lower the decks and I'm good.

Pins:

Attachment Attached File

I run 14' high in most of my AO.  Out east we're restricted to 13'6".  The truck is 80' empty and we are allowed 4' front overhang and 6' rear.  So 90' loaded.

If it's not 1,000 degrees and my cars are close to where my truck is parked I can usually load nine cars and be rolling in under an hour.  I have co-workers that aren't human and can do it in 20 minutes.

If I have to do some walking it takes longer (Subaru in Lafayette, IN for example.  Truck at the red line on the left, cars in the blue area).

Attachment Attached File

All in all it's a good gig, I make good money, and all the walking, climbing, reaching, strapping and everything else keeps me in shape.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 7:49:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoseCuervo] [#5]

Thanks!

Is there a "game plan", like be sure you clear every overpass [duh!], or is the end game to reduce the wind resistance for fuel economy? Or maybe both and be as efficient as you can be?

Have a nice evening. Thanks :)

Thanks Subnet, for the forum!

ETA: I think you edited as I was replying. :)

Link Posted: 7/3/2023 8:20:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By JoseCuervo:

Is there a "game plan", like be sure you clear every overpass [duh!], or is the end game to reduce the wind resistance for fuel economy? Or maybe both and be as efficient as you can be?

ETA: I think you edited as I was replying. :)

View Quote

Don't hit bridges is pretty much the goal.  

Safe, on time, legal, and damage free.

Fuel economy is generally not a concern for load configuration.  Vehicles fit where they fit (like shoes in a shoe box).   I try to load in the easiest way possible.  Driving a vehicle up top front is more aerodynamic and easier than backing a full size truck or SUV up there, but sometimes the load configuration doesn't allow for it.

The fuel savings come in truck specifications.  10 years ago our trucks weighed thousands of pounds more and our fleet target was 5.1mpg and our average was 4.8.  Nowadays I can average over 6mpg with a load of size SUVs.  That's huge with 350+ trucks in the fleet.  

Attachment Attached File

My truck is only turning 1,320rpm at 68mph.

And yes, I was editing so I could add more pictures.

Link Posted: 7/5/2023 11:30:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Dan1918A2:

I like it a lot. While it doesn’t have the classic long hood of a W9, most everything else is the same. Plenty of room inside for comfort and storage space. It’s a glider also, so that’s a huge plus for me. I’ve been in this particular truck for five years now, and have politely turned down 3 or 4 brand new Pete 389s. While we all love that big hood, this T800 has been great to me. So I’ll be hanging onto it as long as I can.

The interior is a big part of why it’s nice. Nicer inside than any vehicle I’ve ever bought on my own.
View Quote

I've got a 00 and 07 T8, I'll take the interior on the 00 any day of the week. All daycabs, and a 98 W9 short hood as well. Little extra room would be nice sometimes, but much prefer the old to the new!
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 10:53:29 AM EDT
[#8]
You know the deal.  Loaded up in Georgetown at zero-datk thirty.  Taking my useless 30 minute break and then continuing on towards Little Rock where I will land for the night.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/13/2023 12:41:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Seabee_Mech] [#9]

You know the deal.  Loaded up in Georgetown at zero-datk thirty.  Taking my useless 30 minute break and then continuing on towards Little Rock where I will land for the night.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/PXL_20230713_144702496-01_jpeg-2884091.JPG
View Quote
At least you get to see some different scenery, I'm forever stuck on this Microsoft jobsite moving stuff on location. My Highway Max and SPMT trailers are making a killing and I'm getting a shit load of OT and per diem but it gets boring.

ETA: I'll be surprised if I get out of here by the end of September
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 4:58:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Seabee_Mech:
At least you get to see some different scenery
View Quote

I've been rolling steady for the past few months, averaging 500+ miles a day.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/17/2023 6:27:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PhuzzyGnu] [#11]
Since this has turned into the "Phuzz hauls a bunch a Toyotas" thread, I'll just continue.

The plant in Georgetown, KY is down this week for re-tooling so I'm running in Texas.

Our city guys are slacking, apparently, so I had to run a city load this morning before loading and rolling out with my load down to the Rio Grande Valley.  That dealer had four truckloads (including me) show up this morning and it isn't even the "big" Houston dealer.

Attachment Attached File

Of note on the RGV load above is the new Grand Highlander (serial number 000151) up top front and the Toyota Crown on the ass end.  

The Grand Highlander is a three-row SUV that basically has the same footprint as a Sienna.  They are in crazy demand.

The Crown is the replacement for the Avalon.  It is basically a bigger, nicer, more expensive, and less efficient Prius.  Strangely enough I had three different people ask me about the Crown today.

It was also murderously hot today.  After doing the city I had the pleasure of loading up the RGV load under a 115 degree heat index in Houston.  I got my steps in walking to get my cars and downed plenty of water and Gatorade and took a couple of breaks.

After loading I was driving around the perimeter of the load pad towards the exit and felt the need to pull off to the side.  I proceeded to yark up all of the fluids I drank this morning.  It was quality, high volume/high pressure pure liquid vomitus.

Oh well, having got the poison out I figured I might as well sit in the comfy seat of my Peterbilt with its ridiculously effective AC and drive on down the road rather than go home and sit in the recliner.

Our city guys may do 4 or 5 loads a day.  They are a different breed.  I couldn't do it.  

Link Posted: 7/17/2023 6:33:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I really enjoy your stories.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 6:40:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I really enjoy your stories.
View Quote

Yep. Keep it up Phuzz, bites are free!

Link Posted: 7/20/2023 5:24:51 PM EDT
[#14]
In Odessa, TX with three remaining Chevys that are going to Fort Stockton in the morning.  After that it's hammer down over to Fort Worth for a load of Lexus back to Houston on Saturday.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Regular readers will note I rarely work on the weekends except for a couple of hours on the odd Saturday to pre-load.

Yesterday morning I was at the port in Freeport TX (on the coast south of Houston) to pick up the Hecho in Korea Chevy Trax load.  When I rolled down my driver's side window to badge in... it didn't go back up.

Attachment Attached File

I popped off the switch panel and swapped the window switches left-to-right.  No dice.  Window motor.

I loaded up and drove the wind tunnel an hour and a half back up to the yard and went home.  The shop finished it right about the time I ran out of hours, of course.

Oh well, I hit the road this morning at 0400, dropped three off in Stephenville, TX and three off here in Odessa.  

Attachment Attached File

Not I'm in my pimp-ass La Quinta suite and the Hate Chicken down the street delivers for free with the app.  10mg of melatonin says IDGAF about the apparently lumpy bed.

Link Posted: 7/21/2023 1:23:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Seabee_Mech] [#15]
I learned an interesting fact today. I've been stuck moving prefabbed building modules on this Microsoft Data Center job since January, it looks like I'll probably be here until October the way things are going. So far the bill for me, my Highway Max and Goldhofer Self Propelled trailer is 2.2 million dollars to date

I do get to have a small break from this job in the beginning of August to go do a refinery shut down for a couple of weeks. Unfortunately that means I have to shave my glorious mustache

Link Posted: 7/21/2023 6:51:03 PM EDT
[#16]
13 hours, 520 miles.  I had to stop on the road for a PM as I was over miles and locked out of dispatch.  

It was only an "A" service which for us is only checking and topping off fluids, greasing the chassis, and doing a DOT mid-trip.  Why they didn't do it when they had it in the shop the other day I don't know.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/24/2023 4:53:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PhuzzyGnu] [#17]
Load number one (local):

Attachment Attached File

Load number two (Tulsa):

Attachment Attached File

After Tulsa I'll land for the night in Joplin before an easy Wednesday 620 mile deadhead to the Toyota plant in Georgetown, KY.

Link Posted: 7/27/2023 10:42:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Loaded before dawn at Toyota Georgetown.

All they had was RAV4 Hybrids and a handful of TRD Camrys.  We just pick nine and we can only haul one TRD per load, so here toy go.

Attachment Attached File

These TRD Camrys are silly.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/30/2023 7:17:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Is there still a shortage of cars being made?
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 8:04:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Is there still a shortage of cars being made?
View Quote

There seems to be a shortage or railcars to transport new cars.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 6:54:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Had the hours on a Friday so I took some Toyotas to Austin.

Attachment Attached File

It was warm.

Attachment Attached File

And I saw this.  Sorry it's hard to make out, but I just had to pull over safely and get a picture of a roll-off truck hauling a container completely unsecured within another container.

Attachment Attached File

These people share the road with your family.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 10:01:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Did a bit of a marathon run on Wednesday into Thursday. Things went sideways at my customer’s plant and I promised to help get them caught up asap, but I’d be taking off Friday afterwards. Kind of a build-your-own three day weekend deal.

Ran a total of 7 loads to them. Fired up the old Detroit at 5:00 Wednesday morning, shut her down at 12:30 Thursday afternoon. I was fuckin beat. Got it done though. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 9:14:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PhuzzyGnu] [#23]

Ran a total of 7 loads to them. Fired up the old Detroit at 5:00 Wednesday morning, shut her down at 12:30 Thursday afternoon. I was fuckin beat. Got it done though.
View Quote

I'm loaded for Monday.  Fayetteville and Harrison, AR and then over to Toyota in Georgetown, KY again.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:38:53 PM EDT
[#24]

I'm loaded for Monday.  Fayetteville and Harrison, AR and then over to Toyota in Georgetown, KY again.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/PXL_20230805_124856172_2-01_jpeg-2908892.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/Screenshot_20230805-081948_png-2908899.JPG
View Quote

For your truck being a daycab, I can’t get over how long that sumbitch is. I’m spoiled with that 40 foot tanker with no rear overhang.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:58:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PhuzzyGnu] [#25]

For your truck being a daycab, I can't get over how long that sumbitch is.
View Quote

80 feet.  And I'm allowed four foot front and six foot rear vehicle overhang.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 1:25:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dan1918A2] [#26]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

For your truck being a daycab, I can't get over how long that sumbitch is.

Yeah she’s a big ‘un!

And as far as places visited, mine from the other day isn’t nearly as exciting.

Just a shit ton of back and forth that would look like this:

Attachment Attached File

Plus the trip to and from our yard. Lots of repeat miles on an 82 mile stretch of interstate. It’s not as boring as it probably sounds. I can tell you where all the potholes are lol.

And I only have to spend time on 285 at the beginning and end of the day. Once I’m out that way, traffic is thin, save for the occasional wreck or road work. And I can get around most any of that if I know about it in time.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 7:06:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Seabee_Mech] [#27]
I got to get away from my Microsoft job for a bit, doing some refinery work for a couple of weeks.

Out with the old:

In with the new:

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 10:28:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Was headed over to Georgetown, KY but they had a stop-ship.  Was around St. Louis when they called and diverted me to Blue Springs (Tupelo), MS to pick up some Corollas instead.  Easy money.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/10/2023 2:49:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ChileRelleno414] [#29]
Same thing every day...  Airplane Parts... Five days a week.

I've 27 years behind the wheel, mostly flatbed and drop deck, with dry van and box trucks.
Everything from 10+ years long haul, 14+ dedicated regional route route and now a very cushy, hourly day job.
Now I'm home every day, work set hours 1pm-930pm and I luv it.
No more logbooks/elogs, no scales, never had DOT even glance at me running around in town.

I'm currently driving dry van and box trucks for Daher Aerospace as logistics for Airbus in Mobile, AL.
I haul parts for commercial airliners being built on our A320 and A220 assembly lines.
I never drive more than 24.5 miles one way, Brookley Field in Mobile, AL to our farthest warehouse in Bayou la Batre, AL.
Pretty much fingerprint free, unless I help push the carts in/out of the trailer.

Link Posted: 8/12/2023 9:28:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Heading west to El Paso on Monday.  A change from what I have been doing.

Attachment Attached File

Gotta apologize to the dags in the El Paso area. The vans are going to the FBI.  Even though I can unload an entire truck in 35-45 minutes I'm going to budget myself at least an hour to deliver the FBI vans.  I have no contact name and no contact number.  I'm going to have to park on a side street and drive the vans over and find someone willing to sign for them.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/15/2023 1:03:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Not me. We do haul out of Gigafactory Austin though..

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/16/2023 7:04:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PhuzzyGnu] [#32]
A handful of export Escalades -and Piper the Suburban- heading to the port.  Middle East bound.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

You know they are export units because they all have cigarette lighters and indecipherable text on the display.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The big ol' Escalade up front makes for a great visor.

Attachment Attached File

The staging area at the port is filling up.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 7:48:33 PM EDT
[#33]

I get to play real truck driver for a few days. I picked up the excavator in Point of Rocks, it's going to Green River to do a one day job. I'll hang out for a day and then haul it SW of Denver.

Link Posted: 8/17/2023 2:46:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Seabee_Mech] [#34]
FML currently sitting between Point of Rocks and Wamsutter waiting on a new trailer tire to be delivered. The hole is on the outside of the tread and a plug won't hold with 60,000 lbs on four axles.

It's times like these I'm glad I get paid by the hour.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 2:58:39 PM EDT
[#35]
A handful of export Escalades -and Piper the Suburban- heading to the port.  Middle East bound.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/PXL_20230816_170301322-01_jpeg-2922010.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/3htgib_2_jpg-2922058.JPG
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 6:31:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Attachment Attached File
I had an interesting load today. I've hauled a lot of military over the last couple decades, but never any big guns.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 6:56:59 PM EDT
[#37]
@Brawndo

Understanding you may not be able to give details, I’m curious what paperwork/chain of custody requirements there are for…things like that.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 7:23:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Woodchuck1:
@Brawndo

Understanding you may not be able to give details, I'm curious what paperwork/chain of custody requirements there are for things like that.  
View Quote
The same as picking up a humvee. Without the magic part, it's just a steel tube. I've hauled cool stuff that required far more paperwork and background checks.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 9:15:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Brawndo:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/122768/IMG_7838_jpeg-2923159.JPGI had an interesting load today. I've hauled a lot of military over the last couple decades, but never any big guns.
View Quote

Boss, I don't know what the hell happened! I stopped to take a leak, and when I came out, the trailer and gun were, just, gone!
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 1:40:03 PM EDT
[#40]
I haven’t been hauling anything all week. Took a vacation week. I’ve hauled my ass to the range every day this week to smack some steel with the new suppressor on my MP5 clone. My first can, and it’s glorious.

Apart from that, just been getting stuff done around the house and spending some overdue extra time with the wife and kids. Grilling meats and drinking beers each evening. Sleeping in til 0600 each day!  

Life is good.
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 9:58:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Attachment Attached File

Fucking retreads.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 9:40:23 AM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

Shit.

Did it take anything with it when it let go?
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 9:45:06 PM EDT
[#43]

Shit.

Did it take anything with it when it let go?
View Quote

Only an airbag and some taillight wiring.

Attachment Attached File

The piece hanging to the ground in the first picture and held up by a strap in this picture is the storage for our height sticks.  It took out the airbag on the other side.

I guess our shop decided twice is enough -this is the second time a tire failure has clobbered it- because they just torched it off.  LOL.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 6:00:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 8:37:24 AM EDT
[#45]

Only an airbag and some taillight wiring.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/PXL_20230911_204050426_jpg-2952937.JPG

The piece hanging to the ground in the first picture and held up by a strap in this picture is the storage for our height sticks.  It took out the airbag on the other side.

I guess our shop decided twice is enough -this is the second time a tire failure has clobbered it- because they just torched it off.  LOL.
View Quote

Gotcha. Do you even use the height sticks? Or is that an optional “safety” addition?
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 1:56:42 PM EDT
[#46]

Gotcha. Do you even use the height sticks? Or is that an optional "safety" addition?
View Quote

I generally don't because I know how tall most loads are.  But I'll check if it's new or different.

Link Posted: 9/16/2023 1:58:50 PM EDT
[#47]
...I grabbed some Volkswagens out of the Port of Houston today.  Sorry no pic.

But I did follow this guy into the port. Dude has that fucking coil secured with just two chains and a 4" strap. WT actual F, over.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/19/2023 9:32:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PhuzzyGnu] [#48]
Volkswagens from the Port of Houston to Midlothian, TX and back empty.  Every day.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/20/2023 10:12:57 AM EDT
[#49]
More dry bulk cement. 52,120 lbs of it on this load. 79,640 gvw.

Wrens, Georgia.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 2:02:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ibn_Huq] [#50]
Presently about to start collecting $100 an hour detention waiting on fresh chicken for a grocery warehouse

Costal NC to MD overnight
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top