Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:28:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Since they just did Bond's younger years with Daniel Craig, they should bring Sean Connery back and do Bond as a pensioner. He would be significantly outnumbered by women in the old folks home, so he would get massive amounts of tail, and he could bust up the UK's version of medicaid fraud rings. bumdumdumdumduhdundunbumdumdumdumduhdundun
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:30:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
While I don't have an issue with a black Bond in theory, I am concerned that Hollywood would fuck it up.  Hollywood is overly PC with black actors in my opinion, and in order to avoid offending anyone tends to make black "hero" type characters flawless.  This, of course, makes them boring.  No one wants to see Mr. Perfect handle the situation perfectly.  It is a character's flaws which give him something to overcome, and thereby create plot and drama.  We sympathize with the flawed character because we are flawed and we want to see the character overcome those flaws and succeed.  One of the best parts about the new Craig Bond is that he is a flawed character, and his flaws create obstacles for him to overcome, and a plot for us in the audience.  I worry that if Hollywood goes for a black Bond they'll go full retard PC and make Bond a one-dimensional snoozefest.  
View Quote

The bond movies arent made in "Hollywood" the main filming is done at Pinewood Studios in England.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:32:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Since they just did Bond's younger years with Daniel Craig, they should bring Sean Connery back and do Bond as a pensioner. He would be significantly outnumbered by women in the old folks home, so he would get massive amounts of tail, and he could bust up the UK's version of medicaid fraud rings. bumdumdumdumduhdundunbumdumdumdumduhdundun
View Quote

<Cough> Never Say Never Again <Cough>
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:33:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Idris Elba has really good screen presence, think he would be a great Bond.

Didn't know Colin Salmon was considered, he'd be another great choice.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:54:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

See, and Moore was an edgier, grittier Bond than Connery.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ever read the books?  Thirteen of them written about Bond.

I know he's too old these days, but if you read the books, by the original author, the description in the books is Sean Connery.

Fleming hated Connery and loved Moore.

Moore was edgier in the same way that 2% milk is edgier than skim milk.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:06:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:27:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know he's too old these days, but if you read the books, by the original author, the description in the books is Sean Connery.

Fleming thought that Connery was too course,  whereas Moore could play a properly refined gentleman.

It was Moore's lack of grit that he liked.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:35:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:41:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:44:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ehh, but that one is really canon.....I consider it an outsider....plus its really just Thunderball re-done and updated....
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 1:17:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a hard timesseeing the earlier bonds as even 1% after Craig
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 2:37:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 9:26:35 AM EDT
[#13]
No. Just no
A Black James West was bad enough a decade ago
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 9:30:06 AM EDT
[#14]
What, no Will Smith?
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 9:43:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Well he's a black British actor. What's the difference?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF?

No racism at all, but Bond is a white British character, that is the stupidest idea that I have ever seen...

Well he's a black British actor. What's the difference?

Because the author didn't write the character as a Black, an Asian,  or an Indian in 1953?  I'm going to take a wild guess that there weren't any black secret agents in mi6 in the 1950s either. Maybe in Jamaica or the Bahamas, but a merry old England , highly unlikely.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 9:43:57 AM EDT
[#16]
It would be worth it just to see the massive butthurt in GD.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 10:06:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's not butthurt. If the character were undeveloped, new, had no familial history laid out, or wasn't based on the author himself, who was white, there wouldn't be a problem with it. Nobody but a white guy can be Bond realistically, because there is a history, recorded since the 50s dictating that he be white.

I can't figure out why some people cannot fathom being true to the original story, lineage, and author's intent.

Like I said, make a new character if 007 being black means so much to you. A black guy can certainly be 007, Bond's replacement, and this guy would make one of the best, but he cannot be Bond.

Nobody has a problem with a black guy being 007.

INBFTFSIRAABGWAFSATVA

In Before Frosty The Fucking Snowman Is Rewritten As A Black Guy With Al Fuckin Sharpton As The Voice Actor.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 10:18:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Hey, what about both Craig and Elba doing a handoff of the 007 designation?  They could reveal the whole Bond identity is a cover, like "M" being the same from person to person.

Or would that just be too far fetched...
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 10:21:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Skyfall goes out of its way to make the point that Bond is Bond, not a code name and tthe same guy all along.

Remember the scene where he goes to the secret lockup to retrieve the original DB5 ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think it'd be great because it'd add to the fan theory that James Bond/007 is not one man, but a cover for a position within MI6.

Too many people are seeing him as Stringer Bell. I don't think they should drop Daniel Craig for him but if he's out for whatever reason then they should go for it.

Skyfall goes out of its way to make the point that Bond is Bond, not a code name and tthe same guy all along.

Remember the scene where he goes to the secret lockup to retrieve the original DB5 ?

This could be the start of the Bond as cover name, with Craig being the original.

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 10:33:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This could be the start of the Bond as cover name, with Craig being the original.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think it'd be great because it'd add to the fan theory that James Bond/007 is not one man, but a cover for a position within MI6.

Too many people are seeing him as Stringer Bell. I don't think they should drop Daniel Craig for him but if he's out for whatever reason then they should go for it.

That'd be kind of cool. Also, I don't think the DB5 was the "original" DB5. I always assumed it was just his own personal DB5 that he tricked out, and was done as an homage by the directors/writers to the old flicks.

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 10:33:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hey, what about both Craig and Elba doing a handoff of the 007 designation?  They could reveal the whole Bond identity is a cover, like "M" being the same from person to person.

View Quote

In Skyfall they revealed that Bond was his real name. So it's not a cover identity.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 10:51:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Alba is kinda cool,

But bond is white, same way superman is white, captain America is white, same way john McLain is white, same way Indiana jones is white same way the T-800 is white, Rambo is white Santa clause is white, willie wonka is white. Same way there will be no white blade, or spawn or shaft.  it's not a racist things, it's just who the character is, if there gonna make him black might as well make him Asian, or Spanish or middle Easter, the race does not fit the character.. Not only just the race, but I think it will change the whole dynamics of the character.

Plus hows black bond gonna drive anywhere, he'll get pulled over in his Aston Martin for driving while black!
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 10:52:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's about the only way I could somewhat understand it. Otherwise, this is just straight up pandering.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 10:54:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 10:55:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 10:57:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Bond has been done to death but if this guy can make it happen then more power to him.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 10:58:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

"M" wasnt a Cover name, it was just the head of the Service's Initial.   Rank of Admiral..  in the books he had been introduced as  "Admiral M***********"  That said...Having Bond pass the name off to be Eba's Cover would be Brilliant.... think of all the Spies who would hear  the name "James Bond" and get Gacked looking around for a White Guy.    
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:00:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:00:49 AM EDT
[#29]
He's too lot to take over.  The role need a younger guy.

Tom Hardy would be a cool Bond.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:13:11 AM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

If you're going to go that route go with Will Smith.........after all he did such a great job with James West.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:17:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It's not butthurt. If the character were undeveloped, new, had no familial history laid out, or wasn't based on the author himself, who was white, there wouldn't be a problem with it. Nobody but a white guy can be Bond realistically, because there is a history, recorded since the 50s dictating that he be white.

I can't figure out why some people cannot fathom being true to the original story, lineage, and author's intent.

Like I said, make a new character if 007 being black means so much to you. A black guy can certainly be 007, Bond's replacement, and this guy would make one of the best, but he cannot be Bond.

INBFTFSIRAABGWAFSATVA

In Before Frosty The Fucking Snowman Is Rewritten As A Black Guy With Al Fuckin Sharpton As The Voice Actor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

INBFTFSIRAABGWAFSATVA

"Guize, I'm really not butthurt and racist, I swear! "
*proceeds to post yet another wall of text about how Bond just can't be Black, on Christmas morning"
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:18:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

INBFTFSIRAABGWAFSATVA

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

INBFTFSIRAABGWAFSATVA

You sure sound butthurt.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:22:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Fantastic actor. Wouldn't mind Chiwetel Ejiofor as well.

Daniel Craig is fine as Bond. I won't blame bad writing on him.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:23:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You sure sound butthurt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

INBFTFSIRAABGWAFSATVA

You sure sound butthurt.

In other news I hear that the studio types are planning to have James Earl Jones play King Harold Blue Tooth and Halle Berry as Ylva Haraldsdotter  in the upcoming remake of The Long Ships...........
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:26:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Holy shit, a challenger rises!  The Operative would be awesome...he has class, bearing, but can have a menacing presence and he's not an overpowering 6'+ beast!
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:28:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

In other news I hear that the studio types are planning to have James Earl Jones play King Harold Blue Tooth in the upcoming remake of The Long Ships...........
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

INBFTFSIRAABGWAFSATVA

You sure sound butthurt.

In other news I hear that the studio types are planning to have James Earl Jones play King Harold Blue Tooth in the upcoming remake of The Long Ships...........

Well, Danes are basically Africans.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:29:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Who Cares?  James Bond isn't a real person.  It's the cover name for agent 007, and a fictional character.  

If Elba can pull off the suave sophisticate with the impish gleam in his eye, he'll make a fine Bond.  What I want to know is whether they plan on returning to the campy Bond, or staying with the grittier Bond.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:30:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
WTF?

No racism at all, but Bond is a white British character, that is the stupidest idea that I have ever seen...
View Quote

THIS!!! whats up with all the white guilt or pc or whatever it its substituting blacks for characters that have always be white ...
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:32:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

In Skyfall they revealed that Bond was his real name. So it's not a cover identity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You got tricked by some really sophisticated, long running spy craft.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:33:31 AM EDT
[#40]
I wish they'd make a movie where Felix is the main character and Bond is a side character. Like how Bond is the main character, and Felix helps out sometimes.

I think it'd be super cool. Or maybe another American CIA agent played by Idris Elba, or Chiwetel Ejiofor.

Not because they're black, but because they're very good actors. Though I think Idris Elba is more suited to play the role of an intelligence operative.

Michael Fassbender would also be a great choice.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:34:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Who Cares?  James Bond isn't a real person.  It's the cover name for agent 007, and a fictional character.  

If Elba can pull off the suave sophisticate with the impish gleam in his eye, he'll make a fine Bond.  What I want to know is whether they plan on returning to the campy Bond, or staying with the grittier Bond.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Anything other than this, and I'll stop watching again.

I like the Bond that's faithful to the books a bit more. Even though they still took some liberties. His personality and the tone of the films is more faithful to the novels. That's more important than era, race, or story.

Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF?

THIS!!! whats up with all the white guilt or pc or whatever it its substituting blacks for characters that have always be white ...

Because he's a good actor, who'd make a very interesting Bond. He'd be able to pull off Bond's personality.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:37:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But what about the Goldfinger car?  Who used that but an earlier James Bond?

Man, this is getting more and more confusing!
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:42:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like I said. Seems to me like it's a personal vehicle that Bond had all modded up, or maybe that dude's car from Casino Royale that Bond stole. It comes off more as a homage from the director/writers to the old Bond films more than a hint plot wise at the old movies.

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:45:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Like I said. Seems to me like it's a personal vehicle that Bond had all modded up, or maybe that dude's car from Casino Royale that Bond stole. It comes off more as a homage from the director/writers to the old Bond films more than a hint plot wise at the old movies.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL You're right, you can't read too much into movies!
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:46:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They revealed that well before Skyfall:

And maybe even before For Your Eyes Only; I've never seen a lot of the very early Bond films.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:47:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/Xxnmuhf.png

And maybe even before For Your Eyes Only; I've never seen a lot of the very early Bond films.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/Xxnmuhf.png

Oh, I knew about those (I'm a huge Bond nerd.) but I'm referring to Skyfall specifically, because it's a reboot, and until stated otherwise, assumes the other films did not happen.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:53:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Holy shit, a challenger rises!  The Operative would be awesome...he has class, bearing, but can have a menacing presence and he's not an overpowering 6'+ beast!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya, I know there was a lot of talk after Serenity about Chiwetel being the next Bond; he'd be perfect.

I didn't know who Idris was before The Wire, and had no idea he was a Brit until well after. So the dude can act.

I'd hate to see Idris or Chiwetel get the nod, only to be paired with a shit script.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:54:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Oh, I knew about those (I'm a huge Bond nerd.) but I'm referring to Skyfall specifically, because it's a reboot, and until stated otherwise, assumes the other films did not happen.
View Quote

Gotcha. I didn't know it was a reboot. Shows how much of a Bond nerd I am.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:55:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Mehh, when Sean Connery retired as Bond, Bond retired with him.

All subsequent "Bondlike Characters" sucked in varying levels but sucked none the less.

Black Bond? LOL, sure man whatever you think.

Some characters are white anglo-saxon protestants, they just are.

Maybe remake Shaft or Super Fly, or Action Jackson .

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:55:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Watch Casino Royale. It's awesome. It's when Bond first becomes a 00 agent.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top