ARFcom never fails to deliver.

Buncha badass power lifters in here.  

View Quote

with supermodel girlfriends and supercharged vettes
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 12:14:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yeah that was big in the 80's for most area high schools for sure. We had shirts with what "club" you were. 1000, 1100, ect

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Always ask what a persons Big 3 is. If they know that then they're probably not full of shit. The 1000lb total of a fair mark for every man.

Yeah that was big in the 80's for most area high schools for sure. We had shirts with what "club" you were. 1000, 1100, ect

Wonder if they had like a #108-#112 in pink back at my old high school in the seventies?
My wife says that I look pretty good in that color anyways.
Could wear a see-through the tee black sports bra in the extra tight to make up for it though!!
Lats.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 12:17:22 PM EDT
[#3]
The only people who question the practical strength of benching are IMO practically weak little girls.  Bench is the cool lift this has been forever and it will be too.  Girls like big chesticles on a man.  Fact.  Girls don't like guys who used to bench a lot by the n my shoulder got hurt fighting like 12 big tall guys at once so now I just keep it at 135 for reps.  Fact.  Bench is about showing not going because if you have a big bench you can show the other guy the door and he can go away if you don't like him.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 12:17:31 PM EDT
[#4]
It's very very useful if you're an offensive tackle.

For general life? Not very much.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 12:17:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Benching works the triceps, which helps my swimming.  the last part of your stroke should be an open palmed bursty straight backwards push from about your ribcage down to your thigh.  also some shoulder.  To a small degree, chest helps the first 1/8th part of the stroke.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 12:18:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Arfcom lifting threads are always good for a chuckle
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 12:18:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Fat fuck at my gym benches 900#+.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can be very strong and fat at the same time. Someone's strength can shock you even though they don't look like Arnold

that would put him in very elite company.  the first recorded 900+ max was about 10 years ago, and that was in a bench shirt.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 12:19:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've observed that a lot of weight lifting develops exactly the muscles required for that movement and little else

same with every kind of exercise

like for example, if you ride a bike all the time, and then you play tennis, you find your muscles aren't really adapted to tennis too great

I rarely max out at the gym because I think that lifting exercise doesn't develop your body evenly

maybe your lower quads don't develop as much as the rest of your leg, so when you max out you put a severe strain on your knee

etc

lots of guys push themselves way too much and then they end up with blown out joints

View Quote

That's a confusing explanation for "I'm a weak pussy scared of leaving my comfort zone".

Link Posted: 9/10/2015 12:21:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Overhead press is garbage.  Your shoulders are not meant to rotate in that direction and how often do you lift something over your head in real life?  Bench, squat, and deadlift are the big 3 for a reason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Power clean to overhead press is a better gauge of overall strength.

Overhead press is garbage.  Your shoulders are not meant to rotate in that direction and how often do you lift something over your head in real life?  Bench, squat, and deadlift are the big 3 for a reason.

How often do you lay flat on your back and push something away from your chest in real life?
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 12:21:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This, or shoving one up over a second story balcony railing out of the back of a positioned pick-up truck with two drunk chicks pulling on it from the top..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/CnBmiBqp-AI

Several times moving couches down stairs in fucked up apartment complexes. The SIL moves a lot.......

This, or shoving one up over a second story balcony railing out of the back of a positioned pick-up truck with two drunk chicks pulling on it from the top..

Hay bales to the top of a trailer. Kayaks to the top of the truck. Materials up onto scaffolding.

I put shit over my head all the time. And look fucking manly doing it. "Stand back, cupcake."
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 12:23:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's a confusing explanation for "I'm a weak pussy scared of leaving my comfort zone".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've observed that a lot of weight lifting develops exactly the muscles required for that movement and little else

like for example, if you ride a bike all the time, and then you play tennis, you find your muscles aren't really adapted to tennis too great

I rarely max out at the gym because I think that lifting exercise doesn't develop your body evenly

maybe your lower quads don't develop as much as the rest of your leg, so when you max out you put a severe strain on your knee

etc

lots of guys push themselves way too much and then they end up with blown out joints

yeah--he's not wrong that lifts are muscle group specific, but the whole "i lift but don't max because my form might be wrong" thing makes no sense at all.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 12:24:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think the deadlift is the single best gauge of overall strength. Followed by the squat and then the bench press. Pull-ups and overhead press round out the movements that I would be concerned with.
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 12:26:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

yeah--he's not wrong that lifts are muscle group specific, but the whole "i lift but don't max because my form might be wrong" thing makes no sense at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

etc

No, he's wrong.  Shitty programs develop imbalances.  Compound lifts are called "compound" for a reason.  If I'm good at DL, I'm good at lifting shit from the floor.  If I'm good at OHP, I'm good at pushing shit over my head.  If I'm good at bench, I'm good at pushing shit.

Link Posted: 9/10/2015 12:27:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

How often do you lay flat on your back and push something away from your chest in real life?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot more than i lift heavy weights straight up over my head. Flat bench is the measuring stick of upper body strength for a reason.  It incorporates chest, shoulders, triceps, and even lats to a small degree. No other upper body compound movement recruits more muscle groups.  In my life I have worked as a professional fire fighter, various types of construction, and now I took over the family farm.  having a strong upper and lower body has been very beneficial in every aspect.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 12:27:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Anyway, in terms of practicality, when someone says "I can bench press "insert large number here"  lbs", what exactly does that mean in terms of putting that amount of strength to use in real world applications?  I mean, you look at photos here of guys that are in spec-ops units who you would think would need to rely on a great deal of strength, and many of them look to be pretty small framed individuals who could BP their body weight but not much beyond that.

View Quote

Most of the spec ops guys can't out grapple a BJJ purple belt or outfight an MMA fighter, or out shoot someone who is a competative shooter. They are generalists in most cases.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 12:28:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/CnBmiBqp-AI

Several times moving couches down stairs in fucked up apartment complexes. The SIL moves a lot.......

About the same experience really lol
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 12:28:30 PM EDT
[#17]
double tap
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 12:28:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I never could make it to 1000

sq was never good enough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Always ask what a persons Big 3 is. If they know that then they're probably not full of shit. The 1000lb total of a fair mark for every man.

I never could make it to 1000

sq was never good enough.

Keep at it
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 12:29:00 PM EDT
[#19]
my flat bench sucks... form is off. I can incline 315 lbs... DL 6 plates and squat ATG over 5
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 12:30:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

that would put him in very elite company.  the first recorded 900+ max was about 10 years ago, and that was in a bench shirt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can be very strong and fat at the same time. Someone's strength can shock you even though they don't look like Arnold

Ya. Very elite. He probably doesn't have any functional strength though.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 12:31:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

No, he's wrong.  Shitty programs develop imbalances.  Compound lifts are called "compound" for a reason.  If I'm good at DL, I'm good at lifting shit from the floor.  If I'm good at OHP, I'm good at pushing shit over my head.  If I'm good at bench, I'm good at pushing shit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

etc

Exactly
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 12:31:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You're confusing what functional means. Just because you train on a barbell while on a bench doesn't mean that you're all of the sudden weak in any other position. Just because you may be doing something "in the real world" that requires you to manipulate an object without "handles" doesn't mean you just lost all your strength.

Less functional than pushups? Why? Because you're moving more weight? That's silly. Stronger = more functional.
View Quote

Bench is less functional than push-ups because most people do maybe 3-10 rep sets of bench while people do 50-100 sets of push-ups. most things in real life require more than 10 seconds of endurance. At least push-ups help build some level of muscular endurance.

Stronger is only more functional if you can actually use the strength. How many situations exist where your back is against an immovable object that is nice and flat so you can push as hard as you can with your hands?

I've been at powerlifting competitions where I wouldn't want to ask 1/2 of the people to help me move furniture because it was obvious they would be winded as fuck after moving one couch. Sure they can lift a lot but have itty bitty gas tanks and I should also add the one time I tested maybe 20-30 people's grip strength at a power lifting comp only 2 had at least decent grip strength (1 of the 2 had a world class grip).
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 12:31:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

A lot more than i lift heavy weights straight up over my head. Flat bench is the measuring stick of upper body strength for a reason.  It incorporates chest, shoulders, triceps, and even lats to a small degree. No other upper body compound movement recruits more muscle groups.  In my life I have worked as a professional fire fighter, various types of construction, and now I took over the family farm.  having a strong upper and lower body has been very beneficial in every aspect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nobody is arguing that a strong upper body and lower body is good. We're saying there's a place for OHP and it's not unnatural. That doesn't mean you shouldn't also be benching.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 12:32:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

A lot more than i lift heavy weights straight up over my head..
View Quote

Specifically what?
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 12:32:50 PM EDT
[#25]
twice in my life i have hit 300lbs on bench. i just tried it last week and came up short. i figure my max is at about 285 at the moment. so almost back there.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 12:37:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Bench is less functional than push-ups because most people do maybe 3-10 rep sets of bench while people do 50-100 sets of push-ups. most things in real life require more than 10 seconds of endurance. At least push-ups help build some level of muscular endurance.

Stronger is only more functional if you can actually use the strength. How many situations exist where your back is against an immovable object that is nice and flat so you can push as hard as you can with your hands?

I've been at powerlifting competitions where I wouldn't want to ask 1/2 of the people to help me move furniture because it was obvious they would be winded as fuck after moving one couch. Sure they can lift a lot but have itty bitty gas tanks and I should also add the one time I tested maybe 20-30 people's grip strength at a power lifting comp only 2 had at least decent grip strength (1 of the 2 had a world class grip).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're confusing what functional means. Just because you train on a barbell while on a bench doesn't mean that you're all of the sudden weak in any other position. Just because you may be doing something "in the real world" that requires you to manipulate an object without "handles" doesn't mean you just lost all your strength.

Less functional than pushups? Why? Because you're moving more weight? That's silly. Stronger = more functional.

I can't even....

By that logic, I should drop curls and just jackoff for 5 minutes straight.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 12:37:43 PM EDT
[#27]
I think a better indicator of "overall strength" than just a heavy BP is a workout called "Linda".  It measures both strength and endurance.

there is 10 sets of 3 movements. The set-rep count goes like this: 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1

The 3 movements are:

Deadlift  1 1/2 x bodyweight
Bench     1 x bodyweight
Clean     3/4 x  bodyweight

Its an ass kicker.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 12:38:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're wrong. I can't even remember the last time I did pushups, except for just a few while warming up to lift. However, the day before yesterday I did 180 pushups. Interesting that I was still able to do that. By your logic I shouldn't have been able to because my strength isn't "functional"....or something. (oh that was in addition to 95 pullups and 270 body weight squats)

"Stronger is only more functional if you can use it". Wat. If you have the strength, you can use it. There's NO situation EVER where someone had strength they were unable to use. That doesn't even make sense. If you have it you can use it.

Strength and endurance aren't mutually exclusive. If you have someone that's strong without endurance it's because they trained that way. You CAN train both, whether or not someone chooses to train both is up to them and their goals.

Strength is always functional. Whether or not someone also has some endurance is another matter, and completely unrelated to their strength level.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 12:38:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ARFcom never fails to deliver.

Buncha badass power lifters in here.  

What's a lot?

350 isn't much if you're a big guy.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 12:43:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You're wrong. I can't even remember the last time I did pushups, except for just a few while warming up to lift. However, the day before yesterday I did 180 pushups. Interesting that I was still able to do that. By your logic I shouldn't have been able to because my strength isn't "functional"....or something. (oh that was in addition to 95 pullups and 270 body weight squats)

"Stronger is only more functional if you can use it". Wat. If you have the strength, you can use it. There's NO situation EVER where someone had strength they were unable to use. That doesn't even make sense. If you have it you can use it.

Strength and endurance aren't mutually exclusive. If you have someone that's strong without endurance it's because they trained that way. You CAN train both, whether or not someone chooses to train both is up to them and their goals.

Strength is always functional. Whether or not someone also has some endurance is another matter, and completely unrelated to their strength level.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You did 180 pushups and 95 pullups consecutively or in multiple sets? Huge difference.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 12:45:23 PM EDT
[#31]
This thread is full of sissies making excuses for themselves. Bench press is a major lift and has all sorts of functional uses. It's a major lift that everyone in weightlifting should have as a priority.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 12:45:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You did 180 pushups and 95 pullups consecutively or in multiple sets? Huge difference.
View Quote

In sets.

Is there a difference? Of course there is. But according to the poster above I shouldn't have been able to do it because I "don't have functional strength" since barbell movements don't translate to anything else apparently.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 12:49:58 PM EDT
[#33]
I am by no means a beast or tough guy or anything. But not being able to bench your body weight (minus injury) is silly. I weigh 145 and when I bench I start out at 135 for my first set. My current max is 230 and I can bench my body weight ~20 times. But like I said, I am not a bad ass or trying to play one on the internet.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 12:50:53 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote

I'm sorry, but that's absurd. I have never met a powerlifter who had trouble moving his furniture. I have never met anybody who could deadlift a lot who had a weak grip.

Member GR8WYT is a powerlifter, trained at Westside. He got into it specifically to help his firefighting career. I'd say that's a job which involves a pretty good degree of "practical" strength.

Link Posted: 9/10/2015 12:53:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 12:55:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 12:56:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Bench absolutely has practical implications.  That said, I'm much more impressed by squat/deadlift as an indicator of overall strength.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 1:02:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...So all those years on the deadlift platform didn't improve grip strength?  Huh.  Was this "competition" in a buddy's basement?
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 1:06:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Couple of years ago, I was benching twice a week. I was around 230 or 240 and benching 225 twenty five times. My max was 365. I took some time off cam back last year, took some months off and started again in April. I'm at 260 now, look better but it's been a long road back. Currently benching 225 between eight and ten times, 275 three times and I only bench once a week. Oh, I'm about 6' or 6'1" so I don't have that short arm short throw advantage.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 1:08:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I can't even....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't even....

It seems to be a GD requirement for some of these threads..
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 1:08:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Nobody has addressed the concept of related improvements, by that I mean the non-primary gains in strength one gets from compound movements.

OHP-  the hardest part of this lift when I started wasn't the shoulder strength, it was legs and core.  Standing erect and pushing a weight away from your center of gravity takes considerable core strength.  Your arms aren't holding the weight up off the floor, your entire body is.  How is this not functional?  Ever wear a backpack?  Ever walk around with it?  OHP will help.

The squat works the biggest muscles in the body.  The anabolic effects of taxing the largest muscles will cause the body to build muscle.  Want a bigger bench?  Squat.  Want to carry that backpack around in an airport and not look like you need an ambulance?  Squat.  Want abs?  Squat and diet.  Want to ride a bike faster up hills?  Squat.  How is this not functional?

The second biggest muscle group is the chest.  Want a strong core?  Benching will be part of that.  You won't bench body weight without enough core strength to support it.  Even on a bench, you need to support the weight through the core.  How is this not functional?

Want to be able to explosively use strength?  Olympic lifts, clean and snatch.  But to be able to explosively use much weight, you need to be strong.  To do oly lifts you should.....  Squat, bench, overhead press and dead lift.  

Link Posted: 9/10/2015 1:09:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Sure is a lot of misinformation going on in this thread,

I think I was wrong about most of GD being Bodybuilding.com miscers.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 1:14:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Specifically what?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Specifically what?

Last week I pressed the front diffferential back up into place on a 2002 GMC 2500.  Your simply being obtuse though.  Flat bench is a far more useful exercise than overhead press simply due to the fact that the movement recruits significantly more muscle groups.  When was the last time you sat in an upright position and pressed weight straight up over your head with strict form?
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 1:15:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Nobody is arguing that a strong upper body and lower body is good. We're saying there's a place for OHP and it's not unnatural. That doesn't mean you shouldn't also be benching.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not disagreeing with you at all.  I simply question the utility of the overhead press, but am open to having my mind changed.  Do you prefer a straight bar or dumbells?
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 1:26:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Not disagreeing with you at all.  I simply question the utility of the overhead press, but am open to having my mind changed.  Do you prefer a straight bar or dumbells?
View Quote

Because lifting things overhead is an important movement. Remember, I'm by no means saying you shouldn't bench. I'm simply disagreeing that the "shoulders aren't meant to move that way"

I use a straight bar, again, because am an olympic lifter and so dumbells are useless to me.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 1:28:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Last week I pressed the front diffferential back up into place on a 2002 GMC 2500.  Your simply being obtuse though.  Flat bench is a far more useful exercise than overhead press simply due to the fact that the movement recruits significantly more muscle groups.  When was the last time you sat in an upright position and pressed weight straight up over your head with strict form?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Specifically what?

Lol - seated overhead press with strict form.  No.

I'm not strong and I do both bench and standing overhead press, but I lift things over my head from a standing position far more often than I lay on my back and press something heavy off my chest.  Paddleboard, bicycle, or kayak onto a roof rack, heavy boxes of stuff onto the top shelf of a closet, pushing a Christmas tree up the narrow folding steps to my overhead garage storage.

Bench recruits more "muscle groups" than overhead press?  Which groups does bench recruit that aren't used in overhead press.  Recruit more muscle fibers - sure, obviously because you're moving more weight. More groups?  What do you mean by groups?
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 1:29:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Specifically what?

Overhead press is done from a standing position. The entire body is stressed during the movement.

Seriously, watch the Mark Rippetoe video that was posted. It has its place.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 1:31:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:Whether or not someone also has some endurance is another matter, and completely unrelated to their strength level.
View Quote

Just for posterity Rolando
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 1:36:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Whether or not someone also has some endurance is another matter, and completely unrelated to their strength level.

Lol. Rolando. fGilead.

I think I'll name our next cat fGilead, has a nice ring to it.

Any lift that you have the risk of falling over during the movement will translate into a functional improvement.  Balance, coordination, muscle recruitment timing...  There is less risk of falling with a bench press, but the same principles apply.  

Link Posted: 9/10/2015 1:39:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Lol. Rolando. fGilead.

Any lift that you have the risk of falling over during the movement will translate into a functional improvement.  Balance, coordination, muscle recruitment timing...  There is less risk of falling with a bench press, but the same principles apply.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol. Rolando. fGilead.

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top