Mil Mi-24 gunships in Syria
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 8:42:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:
https://i.imgur.com/fuKp3I0.jpeg

View Quote

Say what you want about their shit avionics, mechanics, and other dumb Soviet design problems...HINDs have always seemed to me like the ultimate "Fuck you, I've come here to kill you" way to arrive on a battlefield. Those things are sexy.

It's just too bad we can't slap the guts of an Apache or UH60 into one
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 8:43:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Seven-Shooter:
I wonder if they're using it simply as an APC, or as a mortar carrier?  If they're using it for mortars, are they using western shells, or can the mortar switch out to some Soviet garbage?
View Quote

Lithuania delivered 12 Ex German PzMrs (Panzermörser) – Mortar carrier with Tampella 120mm mortars to Ukraine, there are videos of them in use as MC and not as APCs.

Ukraine received 120mm mortar shells from Germany and other countries.

Link Posted: 3/3/2024 8:45:55 AM EDT
[#4]

Lithuania delivered 12 Ex German PzMrs (Panzerm rser)   Mortar carrier with Tampella 120mm mortars to Ukraine, there are videos of them in use as MC and not as APCs.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I wonder if they're using it simply as an APC, or as a mortar carrier?  If they're using it for mortars, are they using western shells, or can the mortar switch out to some Soviet garbage?

Lithuania delivered 12 Ex German PzMrs (Panzerm rser)   Mortar carrier with Tampella 120mm mortars to Ukraine, there are videos of them in use as MC and not as APCs.

I meant I wonder how the Russians are using it, my bad.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 8:46:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Evil_Ed:

Say what you want about their shit avionics, mechanics, and other dumb Soviet design problems...HINDs have always seemed to me like the ultimate "Fuck you, I've come here to kill you" way to arrive on a battlefield. Those things are sexy.

View All Quotes

Agreed. It exudes ‘death from the sky’ when it’s flying around. Too bad their avionics and situational awareness tech are probably complete garbage.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 8:51:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Seven-Shooter] [#6]
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:

Agreed. It exudes 'death from the sky' when it's flying around. Too bad their avionics and situational awareness tech are probably complete garbage.
View All Quotes

Agreed. It exudes 'death from the sky' when it's flying around. Too bad their avionics and situational awareness tech are probably complete garbage.
I saw a video (probably in this thread) about how the Hind is basically just a hodgepodge of systems from other aircraft, cobbled together into a helicopter, and the crew chief and pilot's jobs are basically to just keep the systems working in parallel (since they don't sync together).

It was interesting to see just how different the Soviet design philosophy is; just "making shit work together" rather than in parallel allows for a world of difference of control, and more active and responsive roles for Western aircrews.

But a Hind has always seemed like a giant "fuck you" machine that can shit infantry.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:39:52 PM EDT
[#7]
View All Quotes

Most likely it will end on display in Moscow like all the other captured western vehicles.  

Link Posted: 3/3/2024 4:36:30 PM EDT
[#8]

ATESH agents during reconnaissance of the Belbek airfield discovered two 5N87 radar systems. A repair base and a parking lot for military equipment were discovered near the airfield.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 6:15:30 PM EDT
[#9]

240mm mortar installed on a BMP-1 chassis

240mm mortar installed on an MT-LB chassis

2S4 "Tyulpan" predecessor concepts by Perm Machine-Building Plant

Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:04:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By birdbarian:

That rust bucket looks worse than the WWII boat at Patriot's Point.
View Quote

@birdbarian

I think that sub was so far gone that it became a reef. I am not sure, but I will be in Charleston this week and may take a look.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 11:42:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 1:09:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By kpel308:

I don't believe I would like being on the receiving end of that. 107mm rockets were a little anticlimactic. I doubt that word applies with this sucker.
View All Quotes
https://i.imgur.com/DcpMB9u.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/0sZPKsa.png

I don't believe I would like being on the receiving end of that. 107mm rockets were a little anticlimactic. I doubt that word applies with this sucker.

I was on BIAP one night coming back from a 96hr R&R when we took a few of what we later found out were Iranian unguided 230mm rockets. Those had a little more oomph compared to the 107s
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 3:13:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 4:03:57 PM EDT
[#14]

230, 240, whatever it takes.
View All Quotes
https://i.imgur.com/DcpMB9u.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/0sZPKsa.png

I was on BIAP one night coming back from a 96hr R&R when we took a few of what we later found out were Iranian unguided 230mm rockets. Those had a little more oomph compared to the 107s

230, 240, whatever it takes.

Going to Wiki, you might be right with them having been 240mm rockets. Falaq-1

Their 230s are pretty long, in comparison Oghab

Regardless, them bitches shook the ground
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 10:48:35 AM EDT
[#15]

Mass production of Russian Geran-2 drone (aka Shahed-136).
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:30:47 PM EDT
[#16]
https://i.imgur.com/RRe0jkx.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/M2dALHA.jpeg

Mass production of Russian Geran-2 drone (aka Shahed-136).
View Quote

Well it looks like those sanctions are working well......

On another note am I the only one that finds it odd that a country at war is posting pics of thier weapons productions facilities online.....height of arrogance that they believe thier interior is 100% protected
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 4:09:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Another view of this type of modified MT-LB, which has now been seen many times around Novomykhailivka, Donetsk Oblast, Ukraine. 2023
View Quote

01 April 2023

An heavily modified MT-LB in operation by Russia's 39th Separate Guards Motorised Rifle Brigade, 68th Army Corps, Eastern Military District.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:44:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Seems like I've seen a lot of those high backed MTLBs turned to scrap in the Ukr threads, but guess the Russians don't care as long as they drop their meat assaults in the right spot before they go boom.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 6:30:33 AM EDT
[#19]

Field upgrade of the T-72B3. Some such upgrades may look strange, for example, installed on the sides and rear of the turret UKBTM patented boxes block the commander's view. But for a vehicle that does not go on direct aiming it is not critical.
The already traditional elimination of holes on the Kontakt-5, the factory mede cope cage and the "Lesochek" ECM redesigned against drones completes the picture.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 6:36:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By dedreckon:

Seems like I've seen a lot of those high backed MTLBs turned to scrap in the Ukr threads, but guess the Russians don't care as long as they drop their meat assaults in the right spot before they go boom.
View Quote

They don't give a fuck about losing vehicles or men, they just keep pushing.

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:43:01 PM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes

MTLBs have paper-thin armour and they're horrible to ride around in, so I can understand them riding up top in this case.

They do, however, have excellent mobility. If treated as a non-armoured tractor it kinda makes sense.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 7:13:21 PM EDT
[#22]

The Russian Federation has developed a device for remote coupling during the evacuation of equipment - in theory, there is no need to climb out of the ARV under fire and attach towing cables.
It consists of a frame in the form of two rods, at the end of which are installed guides for the installation of lugs, the frame mount contains a telescopic rod, with mounting on the bulldozer with the help of an eye.
It works like this - when making a hitch, the crew does not leave the armored space. The mechanic-driver, observing through the observation device, maneuvers the machine and the bulldozer coulter and hooks the lash on the towing hooks of the evacuated machine. One then the other hooks the tow bar to the towing hook of the towed vehicle.
In general it is difficult to say how it will show itself - it depends on the driver's qualification. However it will not turn out to be very much longer than getting out and hooking by hand (and it will turn out to be so)
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 4:59:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4xGM300m] [#23]

Damaged T-90M with some add on armor.

Link Posted: 3/9/2024 5:19:30 PM EDT
[#24]

Apr 6, 2023
Newly produced FAB-1500 M-54 aerial bombs at an arms plant in the Nizhny Novgorod Oblast of Russia, visited by Russian Defense Minister Shoigu.
View Quote

The Russian MoD released footage of a UMPK-equipped 1,500kg-class FAB-1500 M-54 (still images show a mock-up/inert version). It appears that the bomb has been fitted with a crude rounded dome-shaped fairing at the front to give it a more streamlined shape.
View Quote

In use since Sept. 2023.

Link Posted: 3/9/2024 7:53:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Maybe I’m just a moron, but why would you have a giant pancake fitting on the front of your dumb bombs? How does that help Ivan’s Air Force?
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 9:51:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4xGM300m] [#26]
Maybe I’m just a moron, but why would you have a giant pancake fitting on the front of your dumb bombs? How does that help Ivan’s Air Force?
View Quote

Do you mean this part?
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 9:52:43 AM EDT
[#27]

https://i.imgur.com/B2SDWL8.jpeg

This part?
View All Quotes

https://i.imgur.com/B2SDWL8.jpeg

This part?

Yep, that part. Unless it's only carried internally, wouldn't that be a huge point of drag on the carrying aircraft?
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 12:06:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4xGM300m] [#28]

Yep, that part. Unless it's only carried internally, wouldn't that be a huge point of drag on the carrying aircraft?
View Quote

You're right. The FAB M-54 high drag bomb was designed 1954 for heavy bombers, intended to be carried in the internal weapon bays. But nonetheless they put them on underwing pylons.

The ballistic ring generates a vortex that helps to stabilize the bombs after being dropped.

Later in 1962 the FAB M-62 low drag bomb was developed for external carriage on hardpoints of fighter bombers, the M-62 lacks the ballistic ring.

@towerofpower94
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 12:11:12 PM EDT
[#29]

T-80BV with lots of add on ERA.

Early 2024, Ukraine.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 12:34:32 PM EDT
[#30]

BMD-4M turret.

Link Posted: 3/11/2024 2:34:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4xGM300m] [#31]

The Russian Federation is moving ship repair bases from Crimea!

ATESH agents record regular transportation of Russian ship engines from Crimea towards Taman.

It is likely that the occupiers are strengthening their ability to repair military vessels in Novorossiysk. In the city where the Black Sea Fleet base is now located.

The reason for this is the successful strikes of the Ukrainian Defense Forces on military targets in Crimea. ATESH plays an important role in this process.

We are confident that the Black Sea Fleet will turn into a river swamp flotilla. Or it will be completely destroyed.
View Quote

The engine on the truck is a Zvesda 504M engine, 56 cylinders in 7 banks and something like 200 liters of displacement.

oldmachinepress.com - Yakovlev M-501 and Zvezda M503 and M504 Diesel Engines

Link Posted: 3/11/2024 3:11:42 PM EDT
[#32]

Bukhanka with armored cabin
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 4:22:22 PM EDT
[#33]
https://i.imgur.com/HJ5IQGl.jpeg

The engine on the truck is a Zvesda 504M engine, 56 cylinders in 7 banks and something like 200 liters of displacement.

https://i.imgur.com/NPE6SQw.jpeg

View All Quotes
https://i.imgur.com/HJ5IQGl.jpeg

The Russian Federation is moving ship repair bases from Crimea!

ATESH agents record regular transportation of Russian ship engines from Crimea towards Taman.

It is likely that the occupiers are strengthening their ability to repair military vessels in Novorossiysk. In the city where the Black Sea Fleet base is now located.

The reason for this is the successful strikes of the Ukrainian Defense Forces on military targets in Crimea. ATESH plays an important role in this process.

We are confident that the Black Sea Fleet will turn into a river swamp flotilla. Or it will be completely destroyed.

https://i.imgur.com/NPE6SQw.jpeg

Using plywood for an intake block looks like a good way to introduce foreign matter to the engine. Is that a normal industry practice or just normal Russian?
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 6:24:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4xGM300m] [#34]
Originally Posted By Dracster:

Using plywood for an intake block looks like a good way to introduce foreign matter to the engine. Is that a normal industry practice or just normal Russian?
View Quote

These wood covers are just inserted for long term storage.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 2:48:07 PM EDT
[#35]

BMP-2 testbed for a 125mm gun which would lead to the production of the 2S25 Sprut.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 2:54:27 PM EDT
[#36]

Modified MT-Lb with lots of add on armor firewood.

Novomykhailivka front, Ukraine, 2024.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:43:21 PM EDT
[#37]

EW backpack.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:29:07 PM EDT
[#38]

And here the armored tractors have arrived... TDT-55 skidding tractor with 57-mm AZP-57 (S-60)
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:18:04 PM EDT
[#39]
https://i.imgur.com/WtoAoyZ.jpeg

View Quote

When that gets wrecked, will it count as special equipment or artillery?
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 2:46:42 PM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes

And here the armored tractors have arrived... TDT-55 skidding tractor with 57-mm AZP-57 (S-60)

The Killdozer has been upgrayedd.

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 4:04:24 PM EDT
[#41]

Mine thrower mounted on SUV.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 6:43:31 AM EDT
[#42]

120mm 2S23 Nona-SVK self-propelled mortar in the armament of the Russian 55th Mountain Motor Rifle Brigade, near Avdiivka, Donetsk oblast,hull and turret of the Nona-SVK is fitted with pieces of rubber, serving as improvised protection.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:15:24 PM EDT
[#43]

A year and a few months after the 'Pantsir' was first noticed on the roof of the Russian MoD HQs in Moscow, a soldier with a shotgun has been added.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 10:12:09 PM EDT
[#44]
https://i.imgur.com/bLO4joO.jpeg

View Quote

A few years ago I would have laughed on the effectiveness of a shotgun from the top of a building.  Now it seems like plausible last line of defense against a drone attack.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:17:21 AM EDT
[#45]

BMP with drone protection antennas.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:04:15 AM EDT
[#46]

Interesting unmanned ground vehicle in use with Russian forces in Ukraine - remote-tracked UGV with portable mining set "PKM-1 Wind" (can be used to remotely install both anti-tank and anti-personnel mines). March 2024.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:41:34 AM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

Which would you consider the best looking helicopter? The mig otlr the Apache,  the mig is an amazingly brutal looking thing, the Apache has a certain aesthetic to, and a 30mm chain gun.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:43:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By swede1986:

The Killdozer has been upgrayedd.

https://i1.sndcdn.com/avatars-000004178355-d7ekmx-t500x500.jpg
View Quote

A pimps love is very different than that of a square.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:22:08 PM EDT
[#49]

T-90M

BTR-82A

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:33:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By AzzFaceKillah:

Which would you consider the best looking helicopter? The mig otlr the Apache,  the mig is an amazingly brutal looking thing, the Apache has a certain aesthetic to, and a 30mm chain gun.
View Quote

Mil, MiG is another company.

The Mi-24 is better looking IMO.  
Page / 72
Interesting Ruski stuff (Page 70 of 72)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top