BCM
User Panel

Red dots on pistols.. (Page 104 of 108)
Page / 108
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 4:04:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Never_A_Wick:

Correct, I don't think there's anything wrong with their functionality and they are probably more durable than their open emitter counterparts.  Which is why I think it would be a fab choice on a larger firearm where it doesn't stick out like a wart

(SROs are kind of ugly too)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gunnie357:

So it’s an aesthetics reasoning not performance based that makes sense they are ugly course in some ways they all are.

Correct, I don't think there's anything wrong with their functionality and they are probably more durable than their open emitter counterparts.  Which is why I think it would be a fab choice on a larger firearm where it doesn't stick out like a wart

(SROs are kind of ugly too)

Understand I love my Steiner MPS on the G45. I affectionately call it my Glock with a Magnavox
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 4:07:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Understand I love my Steiner MPS on the G45. I affectionately call it my Glock with a Magnavox
View Quote

That would probably be my choice if I was going to get an enclosed emitter.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 4:08:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Wish I could shoot it better

As is Im more accurate and faster with iron sights

Have a whole 2 short range sessions with a dot pistol though

Link Posted: 1/31/2024 4:14:38 PM EDT
[#4]

That would probably be my choice if I was going to get an enclosed emitter
View All Quotes

I really like the EPS... it is smaller, bigger window, RMR footprint capable, and I haven't heard of one breaking.  I have an ACRO but haven't shot it too much.  I thought about swapping it for the EPS on my carry gun but haven't gotten bored enough and don't want to mess up a good thing.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 5:17:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I've warmed up to the idea...

Gen 5 G20 MOS

Gen 4 G35 MOS

Gen 4 G41 MOS

Gen 4 G40 MOS

Gen 5 G34 MOS

Yes, I like the DPP.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 7:10:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 45-Seventy:
Ohhhh momma.

I’ll run it like this for awhile, then throw a BROS on it and turn it into a “do all the things” gun.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/241349/FA4AE1B1-F5D0-43F3-A155-B0DA0EB2FDAF_jpe-3101945.JPG
View Quote

I…

I…

I have envies
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 8:41:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gunnie357] [#7]
Originally Posted By DernHumpus:
I really like the EPS... it is smaller, bigger window, RMR footprint capable, and I haven't heard of one breaking.  I have an ACRO but haven't shot it too much.  I thought about swapping it for the EPS on my carry gun but haven't gotten bored enough and don't want to mess up a good thing.
View All Quotes

I tested the 509T, MPS, and ACRO P2. All had merit imo I didn’t care for some features of the 509T nor the availability of the ACRO. The MPS has held up well for me and I tend to be hard on gear. Though I’ve carried a Romeo zero on my ankle 5 days a week for a year and haven’t managed to break it so maybe I’m getting better.

ETA: Zero elite not the older zero
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 1:11:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Bowhntr6pt:
Yes, I like the DPP.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/1/2024 5:57:25 AM EDT
[#9]

@Rudukai13

90% of my use with those pictured pistols is either hunting or shooting passive with NV. I don't carry them or necessarily do a lot of general range work with them.

When hunting, the larger window seems better suited in acquiring game and tracking when walking or running. Shooting running hogs is challenging enough. With NV, the dot is quite easy to acquire. I've killed quite a few hogs and a couple deer and the DPP has served me well in that role.

Therefore the overall size/footprint and "all the way up then back down" brightness adjustments are a non-issue to me. Leupold, like others, has a great CS to add to that.

Other than size and one-way brightness adjustments, is there something else I'm missing that's a negative?
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 6:49:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I just got a Dagger Full Size-S with RMR cut to try out a dot for real. I have dabbled with friends gear but I want to give the platform an honest test. It it is successful I will have some other Glocks machined.

Which Holosun ? I like the circle dot reticle. Is the titanium frame worth the extra?

Link Posted: 2/1/2024 5:27:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ponykilr:
I just got a Dagger Full Size-S with RMR cut to try out a dot for real. I have dabbled with friends gear but I want to give the platform an honest test. It it is successful I will have some other Glocks machined.

Which Holosun ? I like the circle dot reticle. Is the titanium frame worth the extra?

View Quote

I don’t think the titanium is worth it. The newer competition model is the hot thing right now. Before you commit to the circle dot, check out the 507 with the ACSS reticle. I have several of them and sold my 407 and circle dot 507. It pretty much eliminates the “where’s my dot?” moments.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 7:45:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TW200] [#12]
I love shooting 10mm.
Went shooting new Glock 20.5 MOS 10mm with Holosun SCS today.
50 yards 1 foot steel plate. It took the 10mm bullet a suprisingly long time to hit steel. Look at the position of my G20 in recoil when you hear the "ding".
Hard to hear it in the back ground, but another shooter's comment at the very end of the video cracks me up.
Glock 20.5 10mm 50 yards to 1 foot plate.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 9:17:22 PM EDT
[#13]
G20.5 Holosun SCS 50 yards far bank transitions on two 1 foot steel plates.

My best 10mm shooting yet. I highly recommend a red dot.
Hopefully my RSO will allow me to shoot my pistol G20.5 at the 100 yard steel rifle range.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 8:49:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Just so I understand, the 507c is solar and auto adjusting. The 507k is not but both are available with the ACSS reticle.

I watched a few videos and don't see a downside to the ACSS.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 8:55:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Just so I understand, the 507c is solar and auto adjusting. The 507k is not but both are available with the ACSS reticle.

View Quote
It can be a training aid for beginners but outer ring should be disabled as you progress.  A lot the guys I shoot with have dots and not one person uses the ACSS, though a few tried it.  

The outer ring can also be a distraction when getting a flash sight picture at close range.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 1:39:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Missilegeek] [#16]

View Quote

The main difference between the C and K models are the size and footprint. The C is bigger with the RMR footprint. The K is smaller with the shield footprint.

The main downside of the ACSS reticle is reduced battery life. And a whole bunch of extra red stuff on your screen that doesn't really add anything.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 3:32:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Fooboy:
It can be a training aid for beginners but outer ring should be disabled as you progress.  A lot the guys I shoot with have dots and not one person uses the ACSS, though a few tried it.  

The outer ring can also be a distraction when getting a flash sight picture at close range.
View Quote

I find it just terrible for pistol use.

I do like the circle reticle on my 510C for use with my AR.  But pistols.. pass.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 3:56:20 PM EDT
[#18]
The ACSS helps you find the dot as a beginner, but the outer ring  can be turned off if you so choose. If you’re shooting a match that requires weak hand shooting only or you have to shoot through a port in an awkward position it helps me a lot so I choose to leave it on. For a defensive gun I see no reason to turn it off. If someone’s shooting at me and I’m trying to shoot back while in a panicked backpedal I want every advantage I can get.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 4:04:47 PM EDT
[#19]

I do like the circle reticle on my 510C for use with my AR.  But pistols.. pass.
View All Quotes

I have a 407K and a 507K. I like the 6 MOA dot on the 407K way better than the circle on the 507K. Dot-only on the 507K, I just hate.

I picked up an EPS to put on my PDP and love it. Gonna pick up either another EPS or another 407K to put on my M&P Compact 3.6" for carry. My P365X has a 407K at the moment.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 4:39:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Bashby:
The ACSS helps you find the dot as a beginner, but the outer ring  can be turned off if you so choose. If you’re shooting a match that requires weak hand shooting only or you have to shoot through a port in an awkward position it helps me a lot so I choose to leave it on. For a defensive gun I see no reason to turn it off. If someone’s shooting at me and I’m trying to shoot back while in a panicked backpedal I want every advantage I can get.
View Quote

To be clear, these are standard Holosun 507 reticles. 2 MOA dot, 32 MOA circle. The 32 MOA circle is there for aiming, I think. But some feel that it makes finding the dot, faster and easier when training and improving your presentation / index.

The ACSS has a 10 MOA chevron and a 250 MOA outer ring designed to help you find the reticle.

The main difference between the Holosun 507C X2 ACSS Vulcan and the Holosun 507C X2 is the reticle. The 507C X2 ACSS Vulcan has a 10 MOA chevron and a 250 MOA outer ring, the 507C X2 has the MRS reticle which is a 32 MOA circle and a 2 MOA dot. Aside from that, the 507C X2 ACSS Vulcan is a little more expensive, and has a shorter battery life.

Link Posted: 2/3/2024 4:45:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fooboy] [#21]
I don't think the ACSS is useful. You should just go slow and get a consistent muscle memory presentation. It shouldn't take thousands of reps unless you 1) have an extremely inconsistent presentation or 2) you take your focus off the target and instead focus on the sights to steer the gun onto target.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 4:59:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fooboy] [#22]
Just an experiment for the enlightened.

This is an IPSC target at 10Y.  
- I've put the dot on the outer far edge of the target for illustrative purposes
- Look at how poorly the iron sights are aligned and that is with the dot (barely) visible. If you have no dot, your irons alignment is even worse.

So If you draw and don't see the dot, anything framed in your red dot window is effectively in a safe zone that isn't going to get shot - and your irons sight picture is atrocious.

These are indisputable facts.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/3/2024 7:55:16 PM EDT
[#23]
The 507C ACSS allows you to turn off the outer ring, with it off the battery's life should be pretty good right?
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 1:03:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 1:06:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 1:14:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Zak-Smith:

Who makes that mount?
View Quote

https://allchingunparts.com/products/s-w-micro-for-rmr-sro-holosun-c.html

Link Posted: 2/4/2024 2:19:38 AM EDT
[#27]

@Rudukai13

90% of my use with those pictured pistols is either hunting or shooting passive with NV. I don't carry them or necessarily do a lot of general range work with them.

When hunting, the larger window seems better suited in acquiring game and tracking when walking or running. Shooting running hogs is challenging enough. With NV, the dot is quite easy to acquire. I've killed quite a few hogs and a couple deer and the DPP has served me well in that role.

Therefore the overall size/footprint and "all the way up then back down" brightness adjustments are a non-issue to me. Leupold, like others, has a great CS to add to that.

Other than size and one-way brightness adjustments, is there something else I'm missing that's a negative?
View All Quotes

@Rudukai13

Nah you addressed all the issues that make the DPP a non-starter for me for practical use. Nice guns
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 2:38:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By MNRidesHonda:
https://i.imgur.com/I8U8oir.jpg
View Quote

Here’s all of my yes
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 2:49:44 AM EDT
[#29]
I don't think the ACSS is useful. You should just go slow and get a consistent muscle memory presentation. It shouldn't take thousands of reps unless you 1) have an extremely inconsistent presentation or 2) you take your focus off the target and instead focus on the sights to steer the gun onto target.
View Quote

Ummm... im probably late to the party, but you should be focused on the target...
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 3:38:17 AM EDT
[#30]
If you don't know where the dot is,  you can just reference your irons.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 10:41:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By snackle:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/7/2024 8:52:55 AM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

What now, grampa?
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 9:26:19 AM EDT
[#33]
To me the biggest advantage with the acss is the chevron.  With astigmatism, larger red dots have always been better because  you can run them at a lower brightness but you gave up precision.  The acss fixes that by being larger with a precision aiming point.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 9:28:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By chase45:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/161977/1000004640-3103755.jpg

View Quote

So was I, at first. I am slightly faster with the RDS now, and just as accurate. Keep practicing.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 9:54:00 PM EDT
[#35]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rudukai13:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/414849/2FBA5A9B-21CA-41A5-9629-5DC218BD27E6-3044339.jpg

What now, grampa?

Link Posted: 2/7/2024 9:59:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Obrez] [#36]
Originally Posted By colklink:

So was I, at first. I am slightly faster with the RDS now, and just as accurate. Keep practicing.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By colklink:
Originally Posted By chase45:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/161977/1000004640-3103755.jpg

Yep, been there too. Keep practicing and get back to us in like... a week or two...

You'll never go back.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 10:33:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TW200] [#37]
This Glock 20 gen 5 MOS Holosun SCS shoots like a laser. I've only shot 250 rounds through it so far.
I took it out to the range yesterday.
*Red dots rule*

Far bank 50 yards two 1 foot steel plates 10mm

Link Posted: 2/9/2024 7:05:20 PM EDT
[#38]
So post-SHOT, whats the new hotness in RDS?
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 8:23:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Nothing to my knowledge.  507 comp still new hotness.  The Canik dot is still questionable.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 11:34:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By BB:
So post-SHOT, whats the new hotness in RDS?
View Quote

Nothing new really came out. Holosun showed off some interesting pistol-mounted thermal overlay RDS that I think were still basically prototypes, but for just regular day to day users it’s too niche.

Most recent new hotness with RDS is still the RMR HD/RCR
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 11:35:19 PM EDT
[#41]
The Canik dot is still questionable.
View Quote

No it’s not. It’s shit
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 11:36:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Just got my RCR and slide back from Battle Werx today.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 9:32:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By DukeFan23:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/280357/IMG_4381_jpeg-3123800.JPG
View Quote

I'd be interested in your thoughts on that optic after a few range trips.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 10:19:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Lungbuster:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lungbuster:

Likewise. Gotta make a choice between this and a P2 by April. Well, availability will likely make that choice for me, but I’m still curious.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 12:28:14 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

Ohhhh…. It exists!!
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 4:22:30 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote
What else do you have to compare it to for enclosed emitter?  I have an Acro, EPS, and EPS carry.  I definitely prefer the EPS's over Acro.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 5:19:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DukeFan23] [#47]
What else do you have to compare it to for enclosed emitter?  I have an Acro, EPS, and EPS carry.  I definitely prefer the EPS's over Acro.
View All Quotes

Couple buddies have P2.  Haven’t shot those just did some drawing from holster and presentation drills with them.  To my naked eye the P2 window seems bigger on the vertical plane but smaller than the RCR on the horizontal.  My personal preference leans towards the RCR but I could be bias as the I’m pretty much standardized on the RMR prior to buying the RCR or checking out the P2.

No experience with any of the holosun offerings.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 12:07:45 AM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

I run steel guns... if I can't find my dot, I'll beat them with the handgun!
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 12:25:23 AM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

I’d rather channel my inner DR Middlebrooks.

Link Posted: 2/20/2024 10:12:51 PM EDT
[#50]

Page / 108
Red dots on pistols.. (Page 104 of 108)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top