Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 34
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 2:45:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Why did I click on this thread? It looks very cool. Would be even better in retro colors.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 9:19:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By curiomatic:

But the Transalp has twice the HP of the DR, and would probably be a more capable "only" bike. I don't do serious dirt riding any more; gravel roads and a few fire roads are as rough as it gets.
View Quote

Ahhh... I didn't read that as a replacement for the DR. I thought it was a get both thing. I agree the Transalp is likely a very good do all bike and more capable than most would ever need.

My other problem is I am a bit bipolar when it comes to bikes. On one hand I like them stripped down and basic. On the Other I like cruise control very much when slabbing it. Ride modes I don't pay a lot of attention to other than disabling ABS. Heated grips are an absolute must for me now but are easily added. I will also admit I like my TPMS on the Beemer. But then I get on the DR and I am like, screw that stuff, I dont need any of it (except heated grips), and that is true. I dont need any of it. I guess I can appreciate both worlds. But I cant help but feel we are losing something about mototrcycles as they become more and more complex.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 9:55:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Canoeguy:

Ahhh... I didn't read that as a replacement for the DR. I thought it was a get both thing. I agree the Transalp is likely a very good do all bike and more capable than most would ever need.

My other problem is I am a bit bipolar when it comes to bikes. On one hand I like them stripped down and basic. On the Other I like cruise control very much when slabbing it. Ride modes I don't pay a lot of attention to other than disabling ABS. Heated grips are an absolute must for me now but are easily added. I will also admit I like my TPMS on the Beemer. But then I get on the DR and I am like, screw that stuff, I dont need any of it (except heated grips), and that is true. I dont need any of it. I guess I can appreciate both worlds. But I cant help but feel we are losing something about mototrcycles as they become more and more complex.
View Quote

I leave the TPMS readings up on my LCD at all times. VERY useful. On a backroads trip through PA, WV, and VA last summer, I picked up a giant pop rivet in my back tire and was able to see the pressure dropping before it became dangerous. Plugged it THREE times and as the first 2 plugs fails I was able to notice dropping pressure and pull over to pump up and continue, but ended up getting a new tire before the 3rd plug leaked, figuring it would.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 10:05:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Emoto:

I leave the TPMS readings up on my LCD at all times. VERY useful. On a backroads trip through PA, WV, and VA last summer, I picked up a giant pop rivet in my back tire and was able to see the pressure dropping before it became dangerous. Plugged it THREE times and as the first 2 plugs fails I was able to notice dropping pressure and pull over to pump up and continue, but ended up getting a new tire before the 3rd plug leaked, figuring it would.
View Quote

Agreed, its a nice warning system. Unfortunately I need to replace mine as they are becoming sporadic. But I got over six years out of them.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 10:09:15 AM EDT
[#5]

Agreed, its a nice warning system. Unfortunately I need to replace mine as they are becoming sporadic. But I got over six years out of them.
View Quote

I understand you can cut the rubber covering off and replace the watch style batteries then put new silicon on, thus saving $. Haven't done it yet myself but there are youtube videos on the process (of course).
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 10:16:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy] [#6]

I understand you can cut the rubber covering off and replace the watch style batteries then put new silicon on, thus saving $. Haven't done it yet myself but there are youtube videos on the process (of course).
View Quote

That was going to be my first option as well. The worse that can happen is I fail and need to replace them which is where I am now anyway.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 9:30:59 PM EDT
[#7]
That was going to be my first option as well. The worse that can happen is I fail and need to replace them which is where I am now anyway.
View Quote

Exactly. I would imagine that one could put the wheels near the bike with the replaced TPMS batteries and see if the bike picks up the sensors without having to mount the tires.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 9:32:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Exactly. I would imagine that one could put the wheels near the bike with the replaced TPMS batteries and see if the bike picks up the sensors without having to mount the tires.
View Quote

That’s what I am thinking. Spin them real fast and get them to activate.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 9:43:11 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I'd be interested to hear how that goes. Might need an electric drill with a wheel on it to spin the bike wheel fast enough. My bike is a 2013 and so far, the TPMS sensors have been solid, but sooner or later they will need attention.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 10:03:01 PM EDT
[#10]

View All Quotes

But the Transalp has twice the HP of the DR, and would probably be a more capable "only" bike. I don't do serious dirt riding any more; gravel roads and a few fire roads are as rough as it gets.

The only new tech that excites me on bikes is the TFT display, so I don't have to wear glasses in order to see the analog gages. I have no use for ride modes. I hardly ever use the on board computer on my R9T Pure.  None of that stuff is intuitive for me, and every second spent dealing with that stuff is time I'm not looking at the road and concentrating my riding. I hate the thought of buying a new bike and paying for a bunch of "rider aids" that I don't want.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 10:03:19 PM EDT
[#11]

I'd be interested to hear how that goes. Might need an electric drill with a wheel on it to spin the bike wheel fast enough. My bike is a 2013 and so far, the TPMS sensors have been solid, but sooner or later they will need attention.
View Quote

Seriously? From 2013? Mine come on after a few minutes, or sometimes not at all. Other times they come right on. I know it’s the batteries.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 10:04:35 PM EDT
[#12]

The only new tech that excites me on bikes is the TFT display, so I don't have to wear glasses in order to see the analog gages. I have no use for ride modes. I hardly ever use the on board computer on my R9T Pure.  None of that stuff is intuitive for me, and every second spent dealing with that stuff is time I'm not looking at the road and concentrating my riding. I hate the thought of buying a new bike and paying for a bunch of "rider aids" that I don't want.
View Quote

Sometimes I put it in enduro in the dirt to kill the ABS. But usually I forget I have five modes.
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 8:29:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Seriously? From 2013? Mine come on after a few minutes, or sometimes not at all. Other times they come right on. I know it’s the batteries.
View Quote

Yes, the bike was purchased in May of 2013 and did not come with TPMS from the factory, but I added the factory system right away (had the dealer do it; that year MOA membership generated a purchase credit that I put toward this). AFAIK, the only thing that ever goes wrong with them is the batteries giving up.

Sometimes I put it in enduro in the dirt to kill the ABS. But usually I forget I have five modes.
View Quote

Mine stays in "Road" mode because I find "Dyna" to be a little too abrupt. If I end up on a particularly bad dirt road, I'll thumb it over to Enduro Pro for the duration.
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 11:13:10 AM EDT
[#14]

Yes, the bike was purchased in May of 2013 and did not come with TPMS from the factory, but I added the factory system right away (had the dealer do it; that year MOA membership generated a purchase credit that I put toward this). AFAIK, the only thing that ever goes wrong with them is the batteries giving up.

Mine stays in "Road" mode because I find "Dyna" to be a little too abrupt. If I end up on a particularly bad dirt road, I'll thumb it over to Enduro Pro for the duration.
View Quote

Yep, road mode for me as well. Never dynamic or whatever the spirited mode is called. Sometimes after a couple of hours in the rain I remember there is a rain mode and will switch it to that, but often forget. I think I just put the Enduro Pro dongle in this past summer. I just never bothered before.

All that tech and it almost feels like they never actually talk to the people who ride the bikes. Though in fairness I think it is really just marketing to have so many modes.
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 11:56:56 AM EDT
[#15]

Yep, road mode for me as well. Never dynamic or whatever the spirited mode is called. Sometimes after a couple of hours in the rain I remember there is a rain mode and will switch it to that, but often forget. I think I just put the Enduro Pro dongle in this past summer. I just never bothered before.

All that tech and it almost feels like they never actually talk to the people who ride the bikes. Though in fairness I think it is really just marketing to have so many modes.
View Quote

I leave the Enduro Pro dongle in all the time. I should review all of the mode documentation to see why I might want to choose Enduro vs Enduro Pro, but but I figure I won't forget where I put it if it is always in.

In the rain, I just ride gently, which I suppose simulates what rain mode does. I never even think to switch to it. This coming season I may try switching to it, just to see how it feels.
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 1:28:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Here is a real ADV bike from today. The one I would take were I to leave in June to ride the breadth of this country and back.

It has two ride modes…on and off.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 4:37:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Lol at the number plate. Tell me you are an AR15COM’er without telling me you are an AR15COM’er.
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 10:39:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: StromBusa] [#18]
This is my heavyweight, does not get off the roads much

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 10:42:23 AM EDT
[#19]
This one can get places deep offroad

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 10:46:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: StromBusa] [#20]
This one is light enough to get around, but not so good on the roads

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 11:47:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 11:52:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By RED_5:
wow, the low-slung exhaust on that Transalp screams NO to me.. a huge target for damage. imho

but I'm biased  My '14 GSA in Costa Rica
got me to South America and still a pleasure to ride
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2369/IMG_20190518_142933-a-950042.jpg
View Quote

Loads up nice
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 1:39:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 1:48:23 PM EDT
[#24]

she was a champ, and I really had too much shit.
I was loaded for camping all the way down, but changed that plan a little too late

a dry and comfortable place to sleep and bathe was welcome at the end of each day.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StromBusa:

Loads up nice

she was a champ, and I really had too much shit.
I was loaded for camping all the way down, but changed that plan a little too late

a dry and comfortable place to sleep and bathe was welcome at the end of each day.
Yeah, I'm in the early stages of planning a TAT transit, and the backpacker in me wants to camp, but my 40 year old body is telling me that maybe those shitty roadside motels aren't so bad.
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 1:51:58 PM EDT
[#25]
wow, the low-slung exhaust on that Transalp screams NO to me.. a huge target for damage. imho

but I'm biased  My '14 GSA in Costa Rica
got me to South America and still a pleasure to ride
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2369/IMG_20190518_142933-a-950042.jpg
View Quote

Lol…

My first big trip, though Mexico and Central America…
Attachment Attached File

vs TAT trim…top box is a laptop for work.

Attachment Attached File

It’s amazing how much you can cut out after a trip or two. Though when I return South if the border again it will still be with hard bags. But I might need to step down to the smaller Tusk Bags.
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 1:57:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Bhart89:
Lol at the number plate. Tell me you are an AR15COM’er without telling me you are an AR15COM’er.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/8/2023 1:57:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: J-Pat] [#27]
Originally Posted By BillythePoet:
I've been looking at that. Nice to see some more middleweight ADV bikes.
View Quote

"middleweight"

The fucking thing is 500 pounds.

I dual sport a KTM 300. It's 226.

Link Posted: 1/8/2023 1:59:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bhart89] [#28]
Of all the bikes I’ve owned this one took me on the greatest adventures.  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/8/2023 2:01:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By J-Pat:

"middleweight"

View Quote

And the key part of the statement is ADV.

Dual sport = riding to the trail.

ADV= riding days/weeks/years at a time across the world in real world conditions while living off your bike.
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 2:01:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StromBusa] [#30]
@Bhart89

It is awesome getting out and hammock camping

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 2:16:24 PM EDT
[#31]

ADV= riding days/weeks/years at a time across the world in real world conditions while living off your bike.
View All Quotes

"middleweight"

The M249 is a light machine gun

Average GDer "Light? That thing weighs 15lbs! My AR barely tips the scales at 6..."
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 5:52:20 PM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes

"middleweight"

Clearly the R1 is the correct choice.  :)
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 8:35:16 PM EDT
[#33]
@Bhart89

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/341204/ResizerImage2661X3548_jpg-2665118.JPG
View Quote

I don’t know how you can deal with that stock saddle though. It broke my ass.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 6:48:14 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes
@Bhart89

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/341204/ResizerImage2661X3548_jpg-2665118.JPG

It doesn't bother me for the distances I run it, the 1050 kills me though, I need to do something.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 8:54:23 PM EDT
[#35]

It doesn't bother me for the distances I run it, the 1050 kills me though, I need to do something.
View Quote

I have a Sargent on my DR which is an all day, every day saddle.

On the GSA it’s a Russel Day Long. Which is awesome and also an all day, every day saddle but looks like clown shoes.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 1:42:17 PM EDT
[#36]

ADV= riding days/weeks/years at a time across the world in real world conditions while living off your bike
View All Quotes

"middleweight"

ADV= riding days/weeks/years at a time across the world in real world conditions while living off your bike
Since selling my vstar1300 (first bike I ever really rode on - learned on small displacement bikes as a youth, but never rode on pavement with anything other than a small honda scooter until my late 30's when I bought the 1300 from a buddy), I've bounced around between wanting to replace it with a dual sport or an adv bike. Was pumped about the transalp announcement until I saw the price and the design details. For my use, I'm probably better off with a cb500x or even a versys 300. I don't want to do anything on the freeway. Really enjoy taking the backroads and running around places up at our cabin that I can't take an ATV/UTV.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 2:00:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy] [#37]
Originally Posted By Jus_Ad_Bellum:
Since selling my vstar1300 (first bike I ever really rode on - learned on small displacement bikes as a youth, but never rode on pavement with anything other than a small honda scooter until my late 30's when I bought the 1300 from a buddy), I've bounced around between wanting to replace it with a dual sport or an adv bike. Was pumped about the transalp announcement until I saw the price and the design details. For my use, I'm probably better off with a cb500x or even a versys 300. I don't want to do anything on the freeway. Really enjoy taking the backroads and running around places up at our cabin that I can't take an ATV/UTV.
View Quote

My advice is to shop around for a used dual sport in as reasonable a good condition at as good a price you can find. The best deals are obviously right now, but that will change soon. The beauty of these bikes is that unless you are just stupid up front you can almost always sell them at little or no loss. This willl give you a chance to get used to riding again and understanding just how great "smaller" bikes are. It will let you feel which way you need to go with the next bike with little financial risk. However, I will say, both bikes you mentioned would likely be a great choice.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 2:22:20 PM EDT
[#38]

My advice is to shop around for a used dual sport in as reasonable a good condition at as good a price you can find. The best deals are obviously right now, but that will change soon. The beauty of these bikes is that unless you are just stupid up front you can almost always sell them at little or no loss. This willl give you a chance to get used to riing again and understanding just how great "smaller" bikes are. It will let you feel which way you need to go with the next bike with little financial risk. However I will say, both bikes you mentioned would likely be a great choice.
View All Quotes

My advice is to shop around for a used dual sport in as reasonable a good condition at as good a price you can find. The best deals are obviously right now, but that will change soon. The beauty of these bikes is that unless you are just stupid up front you can almost always sell them at little or no loss. This willl give you a chance to get used to riing again and understanding just how great "smaller" bikes are. It will let you feel which way you need to go with the next bike with little financial risk. However I will say, both bikes you mentioned would likely be a great choice.

I thought you were out deer hunting
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 2:26:17 PM EDT
[#39]

I thought you were out deer hunting
View Quote

Just got back from talking to the local auto body guy. Life goes on and ain't no one got time for dat. At least the oil for the Beemer arrived today so I can ride that again.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 2:35:26 PM EDT
[#40]

My advice is to shop around for a used dual sport in as reasonable a good condition at as good a price you can find. The best deals are obviously right now, but that will change soon. The beauty of these bikes is that unless you are just stupid up front you can almost always sell them at little or no loss. This willl give you a chance to get used to riding again and understanding just how great "smaller" bikes are. It will let you feel which way you need to go with the next bike with little financial risk. However, I will say, both bikes you mentioned would likely be a great choice.
View Quote
That was my inclination, but used bikes up here are stupid high price wise. Pretty much 4k for 20 year old thrashed smaller dual sports. KLR650 can be had a bit cheaper, but I'm leaning toward just getting something new and riding the heck out of it for several years.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 2:44:53 PM EDT
[#41]
That was my inclination, but used bikes up here are stupid high price wise. Pretty much 4k for 20 year old thrashed smaller dual sports. KLR650 can be had a bit cheaper, but I'm leaning toward just getting something new and riding the heck out of it for several years.
View Quote

Nothing wrong with that either and the resell is still good. But inventory is still pretty thin I am hearing.

I would consider the Honda 300 rally as well if highways  are never or at least rarely a thing.

But keep in mind that any of the 300s like the Honda or the Versys are definitely in a different class when it comes to power. The  Versys will pull 100 but I guarantee it isn’t getting there fast. That is also empty and on the flat.

But having said that, I don’t know if my DR650 can hit 100. But it definitely has more grunt for hauling stuff around. Fully loaded it will run 80 with no issues and still have some left.

But a bike like the Transalp will eat that stuff up without flinching.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 3:06:41 PM EDT
[#42]

Nothing wrong with that either and the resell is still good. But inventory is still pretty thin I am hearing.

I would consider the Honda 300 rally as well if highways  are never or at least rarely a thing.

But keep in mind that any of the 300s like the Honda or the Versys are definitely in a different class when it comes to power. The  Versys will pull 100 but I guarantee it isn't getting there fast. That is also empty and on the flat.

But having said that, I don't know if my DR650 can hit 100. But it definitely has more grunt for hauling stuff around. Fully loaded it will run 80 with no issues and still have some left.

But a bike like the Transalp will eat that stuff up without flinching.
View Quote
Thanks for the insight! I've been looking at the Rally 300 as well! My wife got a 2018 honda rebel 300 when we took our rider class and got endorsements. I've ridden that a bit since selling my 1300. I'm totally fine with it's limitations so I don't think I'd hate another 300 ish bike. Really Like the looks of the RE Himalayan, but not sure if I'd be happy with the build quality over the years like I would some of the other mentioned bikes.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 3:38:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Thanks for the insight! I've been looking at the Rally 300 as well! My wife got a 2018 honda rebel 300 when we took our rider class and got endorsements. I've ridden that a bit since selling my 1300. I'm totally fine with it's limitations so I don't think I'd hate another 300 ish bike. Really Like the looks of the RE Himalayan, but not sure if I'd be happy with the build quality over the years like I would some of the other mentioned bikes.
View Quote

The Enfield is a really neat bike and I think it looks great. I also think it is capable. But it really is underpowered no matter what their fans may say. 25 HP and something like 430 pounds. But it also has pretty good torque at like 24 and that is at the crank. It will get you where you want to go. So why am I complaining?

Well,  my DR with a very little modification is probably right at 40hp and 35ft pounds….at 340 pounds or so. Almost 100 pounds lighter.

But…having said that the Himalayan is a very likable bike and has real character. I would strongly recommend you ride one. But ride other bikes as well so you can really appreciate what is does well and what it doesn’t do well.

Both are choosing good torque and low RPMs which I love. My BMW is pretty much the same way. Some bikes like the BMW 310 have to be wrung out at high rpm’s by design. I just don’t like that and particularly not on dirt where I am a poor rider.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 3:46:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Would not want to drop this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjuWiKz9zno&t=141s
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 4:38:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Would not want to drop this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjuWiKz9zno&t=141s
View Quote

We bought the cheapest Rune on the internet
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 4:43:42 PM EDT
[#46]
So they are basiclly bringing back the XL600V ?
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 5:02:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By www-glock19-com:
View Quote

Correct, which is why they are calling it the Transalp. Albeit more displacement.

The more I think about it the more I think it is a step in the right direction. A much more realistic ADV bike for the what people that actually ride them do with these bikes. It's impressive seeing the pros jump massive jumps with the latest bikes and do trials like stunts. But honestly when I am riding on some busted forest road or across an old rail road bed, I have never once thought about taking my fully loaded bike on my way to Georgia or wherever and going to look for some really sweet jumps.

I still hate the exhaust though.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 5:07:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By www-glock19-com:
View Quote

Now a juiced up parallel twin

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/bikes/honda-xl750-transalp-first-look-2023/
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 5:21:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Any guesses when we will start to see this thing available?
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 5:26:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By wookie1562:
Any guesses when we will start to see this thing available?
View Quote

If this comes to the NA market, which is likely but yet to be confirmed, you likely wouldn't see it until 2024 at the earliest.
Page / 34
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top