[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By M1Zeppelin:
What I'm hunting for now is a 70's Fender hardtail Strat
View Quote

Hardtail master race.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 9:07:56 PM EDT
[#2]
For the longest time (30ish years), I just had my Fender Strat and a little Fender combo amp.  2015 saw me add a second guitar, a LTD Baritone and a boss ME80 effects pedal.  I also upgraded my amp to a Marshall Code 50

between 2019 and 2022 I went nuts: Added a total of 2 seven strings, a 5 string bass, a Mesa Dual Rectifier, 2x12 cab, shit ton of foot pedals, and I got into home recording so usb interface, DAW, ton of expensive software tools to do all that. Few months ago picked up a Korg Minilogue synth.

Link Posted: 7/17/2023 7:26:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By RickFinsta:

Hardtail master race.
View Quote

Really loving mine too. Glad I took the advice of others on staying away from a FR for my first.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 5:54:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By squashpup:
I quit buying guitars when I got one of those cheapo Indio telecasters. Paid $99 for it.

I absolutely love that thing. I use it more than any other guitar I own.

At that point, I thought, "I could buy a few more expensive guitars, but they'll likely just hang on the wall with the others." I know I could probably get something "better", but I'm happy with it and it works and it sounds good...I do have a set of Wilkinsons ready to go in it, but I'm in no hurry...

I've built a few since then, but I still use the Indio the most.

Over the years, I've gotten to the point that I'm going to work on skills rather than focus on gear. I'm 51, and I don't need another guitar, lol.

This was recorded using the $99 Indio, a $50 Blackstar Fly 3 amp, and running into a Behringer Uphoria interface (I think it was $30) into a 12 year old laptop, lol. Oh, and the bass is an $88 Glarry J-Bass clone, lol.

http://www.sndup.net/jvns

View Quote

ripping bass
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 10:20:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Bump
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 8:57:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 9:01:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 8:41:44 AM EDT
[#8]
ok, I have gas.  I've had up to 3 Deluxe Reverbs (all blackface) at a single time.  But you take the cake..  FOUR Super Reverbs,

I bow my head in admiration for expressing true GAS.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 9:36:14 AM EDT
[#9]

A room like that should have an original floral print Telecaster in it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 9:40:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 9:52:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Believe me, I've been tempted. But this one cured me of Tele GAS.

Custom made late 50s style Tele. Very early one made by a guitar forum member who now builds under the name Burtone.

Just ordered a bolt on Floyd Rose for the purple sparkle V too.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 9:54:17 AM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes

My younger brother actually has one of the original Ibanez Jem guitars with the floral curtain material under the finish/pick guard (can't remember which it is). It's in terrible shape.  I wish I could grab it and clean it up.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 10:11:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: morglan] [#13]
Just found some old pics of my collection as it evolved over the years.  I'll try to post them chronologically as I acquired them.
Gibson SG3 Faded,  Burtone made Telecaster,  Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany, Gibson SG Classic,  Epiphone Sheraton, Mexican Strat
Attachment Attached File

Two Custom Burtone made teles, in front of a 1968 Fender Bassman head, Fargen Mini Plex, and Trutone 2x12
Attachment Attached File

Burtone in front of a 1962 Fender Princeton
Attachment Attached File

Burtone, Gibson LP Special DC Faded,  1998 Gibson LP Special,  Epiphone Sheraton,  Tokai Love Rocks, Gretsch Electromatic 5120 (in front of a bunch of vintage Fender amps)
Attachment Attached File

Edwards Mini LP, Tokai Love Rocks
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/22/2023 10:11:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By MeatGrinder:
https://i.imgur.com/n6hdXfb.jpg
View Quote

How to say "I like Stratacasters" without saying it.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 10:12:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: morglan] [#15]
Continued

Gibson SGRI faded,  2013 Gibson SG Standard (same features as the 61 RI)
Attachment Attached File

Gretsch Brian Setzer Signature 6120
Attachment Attached File

2008 Gibson ES335
Attachment Attached File

Gibson Firebird
Attachment Attached File

Gibson V ("Purple Sparkle"), Bacchus Korina V, Bacchus Mahogany V, Gibson 68(?) RI V
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 10:23:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Well OP, at first I saw your avatar and wonder ooh nice, what model is that?, then found your first thread about it.  So now I got one too.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 11:12:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By jimmybcool:
ok, I have gas.  I've had up to 3 Deluxe Reverbs (all blackface) at a single time.  But you take the cake..  FOUR Super Reverbs,

I bow my head in admiration for expressing true GAS.  
View Quote

Running two at a time is glorious! Or, a clean SR and a dirty VibroKing together works too.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 1:23:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By MeatGrinder:
https://i.imgur.com/n6hdXfb.jpg
View Quote
You, sir, have excellent taste in Stratocaster colors.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 2:41:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Another GAS story - I was just looking for a better neck for a cheap strat body. Ended up searching through Stratosphere's listings on ebay.

Found this USA Select bird's eye with a channel bound rosewood fingerboard (compound radius) -

Turned out to be attached still to the body with all the hardware except the pickguard and electronics. Tossed in the Fralins that were on the parts guitar body. Found the original case separately in another listing. Saved a lot of money for the nicest playing & sounding strat I've ever picked up. Really nice top too. Was a little over budget for the neck

Link Posted: 7/22/2023 3:27:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By azjeeper:

Running two at a time is glorious! Or, a clean SR and a dirty VibroKing together works too.
View Quote

Better be in a BIG room.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 9:08:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By RSG:
Well OP, at first I saw your avatar and wonder ooh nice, what model is that?, then found your first thread about it.  So now I got one too.
View Quote

@RSG

The Ibanez RGRT421? Such a good guitar for the money!
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 9:19:42 PM EDT
[#22]
You know what?  You are all garbage people.  I evidently drunk-bought another Mesa amp last night and I blame every one of you.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 9:25:25 PM EDT
[#23]
I  exercised restraint from purchases for decades...
Then my older son started playing guitar at 10 years old.. now at 13 years old, and has been taking private lessons for 3 years and is way better than I've ever been at guitar.
But I'm a bassist so I good with that.
He triggered my guitar and bass buying syndrome once again... with approval from the wife too..
Unfortunately he is righty and I'm lefty.. but our collection is that of 13 guitars, 3 basses, and 3 ukuleles. LOL
And now I've added an Alesis Nitro Mesh drum kit because I always wanted my own drum kit. :😜

Careful.. guitar acquisition syndrome can transfer to other instruments as well.. lol
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 10:37:06 PM EDT
[#24]

Better be in a BIG room.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By azjeeper:

Better be in a BIG room.  

Biggest room in the house. Celebrity Theatre would be better, but they won't have me!
A Super Six pedal in front of the SR and a '57 Tweed Deluxe pedal in front of the VK helps!
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 11:12:52 PM EDT
[#25]
What got me started messing with amps.

Ugly leakage, amp was dead

All better -

Also replaced the ones with the green letters -

I have an efficient 16" Weber Alnico in a pine cab for it. Gets played infrequently because it rearranges all of my wife's family nick-nacks on the glass shelves in the display cabinet. Princeton Recording in the background.

Link Posted: 7/22/2023 11:18:31 PM EDT
[#26]
I really wish we had a like button
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 11:25:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Some of you all really make me feel much better about convincing myself I do not have a serious GAS problem. Thank you
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 9:13:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Navyvet1204:

@RSG

View Quote

Absolutely!  I hardly needed another guitar, but this one is already a favorite.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 9:50:37 AM EDT
[#29]

Absolutely!  I hardly needed another guitar, but this one is already a favorite.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Navyvet1204:

@RSG

You won’t regret it man!
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 11:25:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Czechers] [#30]
Some more of the nonsense from our house...

Two of my son's new acquisitions, the cream Mexi HSS Strat and Ibanez BRB.  He picked both those up from different sellers for a total of $1k recently.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

My player grade '64 Gibson J45 and my homebuilt Pinecaster:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 4:15:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Czechers:
Some more of the nonsense from our house...

Two of my son's new acquisitions, the cream Mexi HSS Strat and Ibanez BRB.  He picked both those up from different sellers for a total of $1k recently.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/300247/20230723_101544_jpg-2895488.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/300247/20230723_101650_jpg-2895491.JPG

My player grade '64 Gibson J45 and my homebuilt Pinecaster:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/300247/20230723_101803_jpg-2895492.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/300247/20230723_101901_jpg-2895493.JPG
View Quote

Like that Ibanez.  I have a Fender Player Plus Precision bass that I just started learning bass on but I like the looks of the Ibanez.  Also looks a little lighter and smoother to hold.  Once I'm able to play in a mix and know what I really like I'm shopping for another bass.  Yes, GAS applies to bass too I guess.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 4:28:54 PM EDT
[#32]
You know, I never really liked the shape of a J45 but with that cherry burst it looks really nice.  Thicccccc.

So for clarification on my previous post, I have a "Guitar Center WTF Special" on the way.  You know, you find something at a GC, or Music Go Round, or something like that, and the price is half going rate, and the pictures and description are of one thing and the title is something else, because the employees have no idea...

So based on the UPS tracking weight I should be getting what I *think* I ordered, which is a Mesa TA-30 1x12 combo.  But the description was for a head.  No way the head weighs 55lbs packaged, though!

We'll see if it needs a retube or any work when it gets here.  Here in the MKE area we are spoiled with two world-class luthiers and a crazy good amp tech.  When my MkIV had a footswitch problem I literally didn't make it a mile away when I got a call from him that he fixed it and it was ready for pickup.  Also, I've been super happy with Eurotubes for retube kits.  I've gone through many sets over the years and they are always really good about support and shipping speed.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 4:31:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Driving to Nashville this week to pick up the one on the left at Carter Vintage. Been wanting a nice light R8, this is a 2008 custom shop. A friend I trust checked it out for me.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 4:44:36 PM EDT
[#34]
I’m saving my pennies for a Jazzmaster but I look at this exact Mustang about a dozen times a day tempting myself to buy it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 4:52:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By morglan:
Just found some old pics of my collection as it evolved over the years.  I'll try to post them chronologically as I acquired them.
Gibson SG3 Faded,  Burtone made Telecaster,  Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany, Gibson SG Classic,  Epiphone Sheraton, Mexican Strat
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61552/2020-11-12-5_jpg-2894306.JPG

Two Custom Burtone made teles, in front of a 1968 Fender Bassman head, Fargen Mini Plex, and Trutone 2x12
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61552/20140130_203636_zpsdb331e1e_jpg-2894307.JPG

Burtone in front of a 1962 Fender Princeton
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61552/2020-11-12-4_jpg-2894308.JPG

Burtone, Gibson LP Special DC Faded,  1998 Gibson LP Special,  Epiphone Sheraton,  Tokai Love Rocks, Gretsch Electromatic 5120 (in front of a bunch of vintage Fender amps)
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61552/FB_IMG_1540067336870_jpg-2894309.JPG

Edwards Mini LP, Tokai Love Rocks
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61552/2020-11-12-2_jpg-2894310.JPG
View Quote

You, Sir, have a problem. If it would help, I'd volunteer to find a good home for the Princeton.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 7:22:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Wait till you start buying les Paul’s.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 7:36:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By m200maker:
Wait till you start buying les Paul’s.
View Quote

Looking at this model right now.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ENMLRBMNH--epiphone-les-paul-muse-radio-blue-metallic
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 7:42:42 PM EDT
[#38]

Hardtail master race.
View Quote

Every guitar, other than Teles, should have a a Floyd. If you don't like the wiggle, just block it, and it's a better hardtail than a hardtail.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 7:52:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By ArmedKulak:

Every guitar, other than Teles, should have a a Floyd. If you don't like the wiggle, just block it, and it's a better hardtail than a hardtail.
View Quote

My only problem is that the the FR locking nuts have a horrible ring to them with the clamps off. Had a $1100+ Schecter i scored for $250 at a pawn shop (an error in identifying it) and I blocked the FR so I could run alt tunings. Chrome plated steel nut just sounds harsh.  I know Paul Gilbert did this but he was running a lot of gain so it prob didn't matter.  I get it though, guitars almost look wrong without them after being a teen in the 80's. Is it the Kerry King signature model that has a hardtail that looks like a Floyd? I should try that
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 10:41:28 AM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

LOL sure kid.  You know, for that one time every thousand hours of playing you use it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 7:03:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Czechers] [#41]

LOL sure kid.  You know, for that one time every thousand hours of playing you use it.
View All Quotes

Already put a pic up but Bigsbys are the bees knees.  Completely unaffected by alternate tunings.  You get a little bit of pull up and if executed properly you can go pretty deep pushing the bar down. Mine has TUSQ nut, roller bridge and roller string trees so its as tuning stable as my FR was. Not my video but related to my comment:

Can you dive bomb with a Bigsby?
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 7:10:30 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

Even if you're not going to use the whammy bar, they're still much better for tuning stability. Want to play in a different tuning? Congrats, you've found a reason to buy another guitar
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 9:48:14 PM EDT
[#43]

Even if you're not going to use the whammy bar, they're still much better for tuning stability. Want to play in a different tuning? Congrats, you've found a reason to buy another guitar
View Quote

Wait wut? No chance a Floyd is more stable than a hardtail with a good nut and proper string winds on the tuners. You couldn't have written that with a straight face...
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 11:29:02 PM EDT
[#44]

Wait wut? No chance a Floyd is more stable than a hardtail with a good nut and proper string winds on the tuners. You couldn't have written that with a straight face...
View Quote

A Floyd style trem has a string completely locked down at two points less than a cm longer than the scale length, and the only frictional force comes from the saddles. If it's it's blocked off, you're going to get as much tuning stability as your neck could possibly give you.

And while I can really only speak for the Ibanez Edge, in practice a properly setup floating locking trem will be just about as stable. My Charvel and RGs need tuned much less often than my Strat or Tele, both of which have properly cut and lubed nuts, and locking tuners to minimize any play that could come from winding.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 11:37:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Need a medium high end acoustic soon - Taylor, Breedlove, Larrivee, Martin or ??
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 9:16:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By sywagon:
Need a medium high end acoustic soon - Taylor, Breedlove, Larrivee, Martin or ??
View Quote

I was gonna say you don't NEED a guitar and then I realized - WTF?  Of course you do.  

There are big tonal differences between the brands you mention and that is a personal choice.  One option is the R Taylor  version of Taylors.  This was the custom shop equivalent for Taylor for a while.  For some odd reason they didn't catch fire.  Not for lack of quality.

And I just looked on Reverb.com and the prices there are absurd.,  They were way underpriced last I checked.

I have 2 of them.  One Style 1 and one style 2.  Love them.

Link Posted: 7/25/2023 9:26:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Oddly enough, I bought a guitar a week ago.

Link Posted: 7/25/2023 10:47:06 AM EDT
[#48]

A Floyd style trem has a string completely locked down at two points less than a cm longer than the scale length, and the only frictional force comes from the saddles. If it's it's blocked off, you're going to get as much tuning stability as your neck could possibly give you.

And while I can really only speak for the Ibanez Edge, in practice a properly setup floating locking trem will be just about as stable. My Charvel and RGs need tuned much less often than my Strat or Tele, both of which have properly cut and lubed nuts, and locking tuners to minimize any play that could come from winding.
View Quote

Look at how string tension is held. Balanced on a fulcrum held by springs. That isn't more stable than a hardtail no matter how badly you want to make the point.  Let's start a thread in the Music & Musicians subforum for more lively debate on it if you want.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 10:50:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Rugerlvr:
Oddly enough, I bought a guitar a week ago.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/157305/git0060295-000_GIT0060295-000-2897237.jpg
View Quote

Said I'd never buy a Gibson/Epi electric but the that model and the Adam Jones really are making me rethink my position. Had a 2006 Chinese Ibanez that was outstanding and now seeing these Epis makes me think the Indo and Chinese factories have really gotten their act together. IDGAF about nitro finishes, happy with guitars looking new for 30 years .
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 11:11:50 AM EDT
[#50]

Said I'd never buy a Gibson/Epi electric but the that model and the Adam Jones really are making me rethink my position. Had a 2006 Chinese Ibanez that was outstanding and now seeing these Epis makes me think the Indo and Chinese factories have really gotten their act together. IDGAF about nitro finishes, happy with guitars looking new for 30 years .
View Quote

I put an order in at the Chicago Music Exchange for the last Alex Lifeson viceroy brown Epi model, and waited two years before asking for a refund. The entire time they assured me it was on order, and that Gibson hadn't canceled the requisition order.

When I heard this one was announced, I jumped on it, even though it's $400 more. Inflation and the addition of a hard case I guess. I'm a Rush fanatic. I have an Epi LP Standard Pro plus top that is really really nice. I also have an Epi Masterbilt EF-500R acoustic that is just outstanding. I think for a decade, the Chinese guitars have been very good.

I used to own four Gibsons, Two Les Pauls, an SG, and an LP Jr. I sold them all and regret it now. Since I don't play much anymore, I can't justify that kind of hardware sitting around collecting dust. Even if this one ends up being a wall hanger, it will still bring me joy.
Page / 19
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top