BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:30:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PTR32Sooner:

Just because they are sealed doesn't mean they cane be seen in certain circumstances.

Fight it .she never left the store so no theft
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Whiskey1Alpha:

We visited that idea as he had by himself. He had called a few people and they all wanted somewhere between $2500-$5000 for a retainer.

She has 0 criminal history. There is 0 intent. The fines for it posted online in Nevada seem to be around $400ish dollars and the no contest/in lieu pleas are sealable after 6 or 12 months.

Just because they are sealed doesn't mean they cane be seen in certain circumstances.

In Michigan, the charge itself creates the entry on the criminal history, not the conviction.

I imagine NV is the same.

I'm not convinced OPs friends daughter isn't spinning a tale.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:31:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gpoman] [#2]
Two things:

1. She needs to either shop somewhere else that doesn’t have Gestapo LP, or use a regular checkout line if she tends to be forgetful.

2. The charge will likely be dropped if she has a clean record.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:31:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Depending on who is doing the background check sealed may not matter and it will show up. Have to reference state laws to see. Differs by state.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:32:21 PM EDT
[#4]

View Quote

That's not how it works.

Sorry.

-Okie State grad here.

:)
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:34:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shack357] [#5]
Originally Posted By DB0351:

There’s a very specific reason so many posters are using the exact same verbiage to describe this situation.

That should be a good indication of what’s about to happen to her.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DB0351:
Originally Posted By shack357:
She'll wind up with a fine and maybe probation. Intent or not, she did pass final point of sale with unpaid merchandise.

There’s a very specific reason so many posters are using the exact same verbiage to describe this situation.

That should be a good indication of what’s about to happen to her.

The case I mentioned with my friend had a funny conclusion. Since she was found guilty of theft she lost her job at Walmart. Guilty of theft=you don't work at Walmart anymore(at least at the time).

Well, the manager who fired her lived next door to my friend's parents, and had been having an affair with a low level coworker-widely known around the store, but one of those things that was just breakroom gossip until this.

My friend's husband goes to the manager's house. Manager's wife answers the door. "Ask your husband why my wife gets fired for something that has nothing to do with Walmart and your husband can fuck this other chick?"

ETA-I had to be a witness for loss prevention many times. 80 to 90 percent of thieves had bought other items.

Not saying this is the case with OP's friend but maybe 10 percent of the "Oh, shit, I forgot that" seemed to be actual forgetfulness.

With the rise of self checkout though, I'm more inclined to believe that claim than not.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:34:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ThatGuy91K:

Because going past the last point of sale and trying to walk out of the store demonstrates intent.
View Quote

No it doesn’t. You have to be able to prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that she fully intended to not pay.

A competent attorney can get the argued down to nothing, and get the arrest and everything expunged.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:34:59 PM EDT
[#7]
She dindu nuffin.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:34:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Serenity7:
Attorney and counter sue for assault.
View Quote

No! Sue Target for kidnapping as she was held against her will for over two hours and take it to the news.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:35:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By poisontree:
Just go to court and see the judge if the say guilty,  appeal it to county,  if they see it and don't throw it out and are guilty again appeal it to district where they will throw it out.
View Quote

IANAL, and certainly not a lawyer in this case.  

But, this is not how appellate courts work.  Generally they deal in whether the lower court made an error.  Not new facts, not a second attempt at trying the original facts.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:36:03 PM EDT
[#10]
And according to the story what has she committed here?
Has she removed the item from the establishment? No.
Has she altered the price tag or price to deprive the merchant of the actual value? No.
Did she move the item to another display to get the merchant to honor the wrong price? No.
Did she underring by ringing up an item for less than its full value? No. (This one can be debated but I perceive the EXACT language to say ringing up an item that is valued less than it and attempting to pass that item off as the aforementioned item)
Removed a shopping cart with intent to deprive the merchant of the cart? No.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:38:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Gspointer:
Get an attorney and ask for a jury trial or go and plead guilty and pay the fine.
View Quote

Don't use 'guilty', if doing this use 'No contest'.  There is an important legal difference.  Nolo contendere
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:39:58 PM EDT
[#12]
OP: there’s an 87% chance you aren’t being told 100% of the truth. Don’t get too emotionally invested, you might find out there’s security cam footage of an entirely different reality than what you were told
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:40:29 PM EDT
[#13]

No it doesn’t. You have to be able to prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that she fully intended to not pay.

A competent attorney can get the argued down to nothing, and get the arrest and everything expunged.
View Quote

lol, mkay
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:41:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By KELBEAST:
OP: there’s an 87% chance you aren’t being told 100% of the truth. Don’t get too emotionally invested, you might find out there’s security cam footage of an entirely different reality than what you were told
View Quote

100%
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:41:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By buckshot_jim:
He's lying and she's lying. I worked in plain clothes asset protection at Target for a while. They do not show video to the parents of anyone, especially an adult. Misread that part.They get fired if they do. Only the police and store management may view video of theft. I suggest you follow the case. The video will be used as evidence if she takes it to trial. My guess is she'll plead guilty to avoid a trial. I worked in predominantly black Target and by far the worst perps were young white girls stealing costume jewelry and cosmetics.
View Quote
I think she's lying too.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:41:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gpoman] [#16]
Originally Posted By Alaskanforfreedom:
Has she altered the price tag or price to deprive the merchant of the actual value? No.
Did she move the item to another display to get the merchant to honor the wrong price? No.
Did she underring by ringing up an item for less than its full value? No. (This one can be debated but I perceive the EXACT language to say ringing up an item that is valued less than it and attempting to pass that item off as the aforementioned item)

View Quote

I agree that she didn’t intend to steal the items. But LP saw it as she concealed items under her cart and didn’t pay for them as she left the self checkout and was leaving the store. If the store didn’t have a legit reason to press charges, the officer wouldn’t have written the citation.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:41:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By broncobisley1:
Yep, as much as it sucks lawyer up.

I've read about this happening, and the dumbest part is people that realize they missed an item and go back to pay for it are charged.  I was told if you miss an item, and you feel guilty upon discovery that you missed the item just ring up the same item the next time you are there and leave the item behind but tell no-one what happened.
View Quote

It’s usually up to management discretion.  When I was the manager on duty, if someone forgot something and they came back I’d let them pay for it and be on their way but there was one manager that would call district LP and the cops every damn time.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:42:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Echd] [#18]

View All Quotes

Must be some magic words out there the competent attorneys aren't sharing with the public defenders, or nobody would be convicted of shoplifting.

Originally Posted By cmdrstask:

IANAL, and certainly not a lawyer in this case.  

But, this is not how appellate courts work.  Generally they deal in whether the lower court made an error.  Not new facts, not a second attempt at trying the original facts.

Depends on state and to an extent circumstance, some allow trial de novo for appeals even from the lower level district courts.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:43:18 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

Do you think the this is the first time the Loss Prevention staff and police did this?

Pretty sure they know what they are doing.

Utah Criminal Code:

Effective 5/3/2023
76-6-404.  Theft -- Elements.
(1)Terms defined in Section 76-1-101.5 apply to this section.
(2)An actor commits theft if the actor obtains or exercises unauthorized control over another person's property with a purpose to deprive the person of the person's property.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:43:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Echd:

Must be some magic words out there the competent attorneys aren't sharing with the public defenders, or nobody would be convicted of shoplifting.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:44:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Just talked to him. Another question:

He says the court date is an arrainment.

My understanding is this is simply where you would say guilty or not guilty?

So no deal to drop or no contest or whatever you would say not guilty and then end up with a court date in the future for a trial?
View Quote

Not guilty all day long.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:44:54 PM EDT
[#22]

No it doesn't. You have to be able to prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that she fully intended to not pay.

View All Quotes

Because going past the last point of sale and trying to walk out of the store demonstrates intent.

No it doesn't. You have to be able to prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that she fully intended to not pay.

Expunged records generally means a case becomes non-public, not that it disappears from a criminal history.

So no, a gas station won't see it on a public background check, but many employers are exempt and can see non public records.

I work for a government agency, we can see "non-public" records when we run pre-employment criminal histories. Including juvenile and other "suppressed" criminal histories.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:47:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By gpoman:

I agree that she didn’t intend to steal the items. But LP saw it as she concealed items under her cart and didn’t pay for them as she left the self checkout and was leaving the store. If the store didn’t have a legit reason to press charges, the officer wouldn’t have written the citation.

View Quote

You're assuming she isn't lying. I can't tell you how many times these girls told their parents a huge lie to cover up what they did and buy time before the parents found out. Angry upper middle class mom's show up raising hell, (My child doesn't have to steal, you asshole!) and threatening all sorts of legal action etc, right up until they show up for court and the video is played, showing them stealing costume jewelry, tiny bikinis and lip gloss.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:47:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By 1245xx:

It'll be defined in the state criminal code. It's very clear.    Some states don't require you to leave the building.
View All Quotes
Two things- op is hearing this all secondhand from a biased source if Im understanding correct so daughter could have lied to daddy and daddy may have bought it because shes my sweet baby angel and has never done that. Also I think shoplifting requires you leave the building technically, I would contest in court ask to subpoena footage of security cams.

It'll be defined in the state criminal code. It's very clear.    Some states don't require you to leave the building.
Yes I see many people have made the point about going past the last point of sale.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:47:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Echd] [#25]
Originally Posted By drerickson77:

View Quote

One thing I learned a long time ago, most of the PDs might not be the best attorneys or have the most experience, but when some legal "angle" about a common procedural or criminal matter comes into style, they will ALL learn about it and try to fit it in no matter what. Makes sense (especially as so many of their cases, especiallh petty retail theft, might as well be carbon copied), but it just means the cops and prosecutors end up changing their diction slightly to stutter step whatever it was or the law changes fairly quickly to address it.

You don't generally need or get Perry Mason for this sort of stuff because it's essentially simple. The elements of the crime are simple, the evidence is simple, the entire situation plays out a zillion times a day. I'm not saying hypothetical friend's daughter was or wasn't stealing, but the way its described sure sounds like the way a lot of retail petty theft goes.

If the defense to shoplifting was an absolute "he hasn't left the store yet so he isn't shoplifting" it would be even more of a free for all than it is already.

And some people believe "beyond a reasonable doubt" to mean "beyond any doubt at all whatsoever, no matter how remote", especially on the internet.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:47:55 PM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

There's a reason so many are saying the same thing I am, but you do you.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:49:04 PM EDT
[#27]
I almost did this the other day - I had a small item in the child's seat of a grocery cart, and almost walked out without paying for it.

I sympathize.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:49:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Maybe this is part of the ROI for self checkout.

I'll think I'll be skipping self check from now on, just in case I end up needing a patsy

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:49:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gpoman] [#29]
One part that seems off to me is when she was approached by loss prevention and you said she was stunned and didn’t know what she did wrong. You would think she would connect the dots and realize that she forgot to scan the items underneath. I don’t think she helped her cause by the “I didn’t do anything” reaction.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:50:37 PM EDT
[#30]

Not true.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Are-O-Be:
She hasn’t stolen anything until she has left the store. Show up to court and contest.

Not true.

I agree. They can say you stole the items once you pass the checkout registers.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:50:47 PM EDT
[#31]
So Target kidnapped her for 2 hours?  She never left the store.  How could she ''steal'' the stuff.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:50:50 PM EDT
[#32]

Do you think the this is the first time the Loss Prevention staff and police did this?

Pretty sure they know what they are doing.

Utah Criminal Code:

Effective 5/3/2023
76-6-404.  Theft -- Elements.
(1)Terms defined in Section 76-1-101.5 apply to this section.
(2)An actor commits theft if the actor obtains or exercises unauthorized control over another person's property with a purpose to deprive the person of the person's property.

View Quote

I would add that she didn’t pay for the items at the register.  Business was transacted and concluded at the register.  She was leaving with unpaid merchandise.  There will be other considerations in appellate cases.  You posted the elements of the crime.  And the statute you posted is very clear, without any bs.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:51:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Do not let it get to a guilty verdict.  A friend's father was looking at magazines at the rack near the door while his wife shopped.  He was a pastor and a member of his church stopped him to talk.  He rolled a magazine he was buying under his arm during the conversation. When they were done talking, he towards the door.  He stopped when he remembered the magazine and turned around to go pay for it.  He got stopped and charged for stealing.  He thought the judge would understand and let him pay and be done.  Wrong.  Convicted and lost his job.  He couldn't get a decent job for years after that.  GET A LAWYER!
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:51:58 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

it absolutely does.

That's classic theft. She was going to the exit of the store after bypassing the registers and not scanning items.

If she was at the register when she was stopped, absolutely you have a point. But based upon what the OP has said it's pretty open and shut legally as far as theft.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:52:11 PM EDT
[#35]

That's not how it works.

Sorry.

-Okie State grad here.

:)
View Quote

Read the Utah criminal code 76-6-602 if what OP is saying is how it happened, then she has a very good case

An actor commits retail theft if the actor knowingly:
(a)takes possession of, conceals, carries away, transfers or causes to be carried away or transferred, any merchandise displayed, held, stored, or offered for sale in a retail mercantile establishment with the intention of:
(i)retaining the merchandise; or
(ii)depriving the merchant permanently of the possession, use or benefit of such merchandise without paying the retail value of the merchandise;

Okie Lite eh? Well, we cant all be winners
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:53:55 PM EDT
[#36]
I guess everyone is always a liar
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:53:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPeople] [#37]
Originally Posted By mjohn3006:
While I agree in principle. Maybe don’t steal shit?
View Quote

BS.  I "stole" two items from store Z and/or Y on two occasions:

1)  A package of paper towels in the lower rack.   As I loaded things into my car I noticed it and went right back in to pay for it.

2)  A nearly full cart for me.  I missed a calendar along the side of the cart.  The next day I went back.   Got the same calendar and went and paid for it then put it back on the shelf.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:54:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Cantshootstrate:
Have her get a lawyer. The citation is to a court - we would call it sessions - other places may be a municipal court.

Get the officer's bodycamera footage and get the reports from the officer.

The lawyer can subpeona the target footage.

The main issue is that the officer saw no probable cause and target loss prevention decided to charge for non concealed goods still i
inside the store.

The goal would be to get a dismissal and an expungement of the arrest. Secondary may be to civilly sue Target.

HTH
View Quote

If you have a case against Target, you can probably find an attorney that will represent her on contingency...
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:54:17 PM EDT
[#39]

Read the Utah criminal code 76-6-602 if what OP is saying is how it happened, then she has a very good case

An actor commits retail theft if the actor knowingly:
(a)takes possession of, conceals, carries away, transfers or causes to be carried away or transferred, any merchandise displayed, held, stored, or offered for sale in a retail mercantile establishment with the intention of:
(i)retaining the merchandise; or
(ii)depriving the merchant permanently of the possession, use or benefit of such merchandise without paying the retail value of the merchandise;

Okie Lite eh? Well, we cant all be winners
View Quote

Obviously she did intend to retain the merchandise. That is an "or", not an "and". Where is the conflict you're seeing?
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:54:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SAE] [#40]
I think she should dress up as nicely and conservative as she can, nice hair, moderate make-up and just go in and see the judge.

Additionally, do an internet search of that particular court and look it up and see who the judge is. Do your homework.

Remember, there is always a certain amount of drama and bullshit in a courtroom.

However the judge acts, if she starts to cry or sob a little bit during the proceeding that's okay as well.

The judge does have the discretion to throw the case out and probably will or possibly fine her no more than about two hundred dollars and the court cost will probably be about three hundred dollars.

She will probably need about five hundred dollars if she leads guilty if the judge decides to go forward with the case.

If she asks for a jury trial then it's lawyer up time which will cost anywhere between twenty-five hundred to about three thousand dollars.

She could act as her own lawyer but at that age that may not be a good idea at this time.

The father needs to call at least two attorneys and find out which ones have favor with the court by doing another internet search of Lawyer's offices in the county where the court is located.

Tell her dad of she cannot beat the case that likely community service for her is probably going to go down as well.

Should be about forty to one hundred hours depending on how the prosecutor presents his deal.

She needs to read and fully understand any paperwork that the prosecutor may give her before she signs on the dotted line.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:55:06 PM EDT
[#41]

Not true.
View All Quotes
She hasn’t stolen anything until she has left the store. Show up to court and contest.

Not true.

If I was on the jury, it would be.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:56:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By USA1st:
I guess everyone is always a liar
View Quote

When it comes to shoplifting, pretty much.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:56:26 PM EDT
[#43]
I imagine with the checkout counter things that people miss items all the time. I was at Walmart one time and did not notice an item in the bottom of the cart. Went out to my car was putting stuff into my truck. And noticed that there was an item that wasn't in a bag. Then realized I never use the little wand thing to pay for it. I took it back in and told the lady what happened, she almost laughed at me. But I ran it through the register. And paid for it. The daughter story is totally believable. You don't want these things to happen don't have self checkout
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:57:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Most of the posts here are idiotic. Tell her to hire a lawyer.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:57:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By CoyoteGray:

If I was on the jury, it would be.
View Quote

where should the boundary be, exactly?  Is there a home base, where you are safe? The parking lot? The highway or street?
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:58:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Echd:

Obviously she did intend to retain the merchandise. That is an "or", not an "and". Where is the conflict you're seeing?
View Quote

Seems that all the elements of the crime were present.  I’m not seeing a problem either.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:58:26 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

True story. Friends father from college was shopping in a big box retailer and was walking to the register with a few items in his hand when he noticed an advertisement for a sale near the entrance that was facing into the store. The advertisement was just past the cash registers but inside the store. He walked over to look and was immediately grabbed by store security. The security guy accused him of stealing. This man was not some low life but a highly educated man working at IBM. He explained that he did not steal anything as he had no left the store and was simply looking at their advertisement to see what the sale was about. Nope, the security guy and manager wanted him charged with theft of some low dollar items and called the police. The police came and arrested him. His name subsequently appeared in the local paper for being arrested for shop lifting. As you can imagine this caused him significant embarrassment.

Friends father said this is nonsense and hired an attorney and sued the retailer. Last I heard the store wanted to drop the charges in exchange for him dropping the civil suit and his father was no having it. He felt he was on solid ground as he had not left the store and they had placed the advertisement there.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:59:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dangerranger61007] [#48]
The vast majority of times loss prevention calls us for self checkout theft, the person claims to have forgot to scan the items.  Loss prevention here is seems pretty good at screening out what might have been an accident and only calling the law when intent is clear.

It's usually multiple items and there was some obvious intent to steal the stuff (covering things in the cart or grabbing multiple items and passing them in front of scanner in a stack are most common).  I want to see some sort of proof of intent before I charge anyone with theft via self checkout.  At least 99% of the time, loss prevention was able to show intent with surveillance video.

And she can absolutely be charged with theft without leaving the store. Careful taking advice here, she needs a lawyer.  Even a public defender would be better than going without.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:59:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BloodRaven] [#49]
Officer shows up, talks to the security office people and they fill him in on the 'theft'. He looks at the camera footage and instantly tells them it clearly looks like an accident with zero intent. Offers to have her pay for the items and be done as well as mentions that she did not actually leave the store with any items and she must be some criminal mastermind to buy 200$ worth of items to steal 2 plastic storages boxes left on the bottom of the cart. They don't want to do that as apparently this specific store has been targeted with thieves and they are watching 100% of self checkout transactions hence why they caught this so fast. Officer is forced to write a citation for 'petty larceny' and she's sent home. Get's a mailer card a bit later with a court date.
View Quote

First, get an attorney. No question about that. Then, tell the attorney what the cop said. Maybe they can get the cop on the stand and have him repeat what he said to the judge. If the judge hears it from a cop, he's more likely to dismiss.

Worth a shot, imo.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:00:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By SAE:
I think she should dress up as nicely and conservative as she can, nice hair, moderate make-up and just go in and see the judge.

Additionally, do an internet search of that particular court and look it up and see who the judge is. Do your homework.

Remember, there is always a certain amount of drama and bullshit in a courtroom.

However the judge acts, if she starts to cry or sob a little bit during the proceeding that's okay as well.

The judge does have the discretion to throw the case out and probably will or possibly fine her no more than about two hundred dollars and the court cost will probably be about three hundred dollars.

She will probably need about five hundred dollars if she leads guilty if the judge decides to go forward with the case.

If she asks for a jury trial then it's lawyer up time which will cost anywhere between twenty-five hundred to about three thousand dollars.

She could act as her own lawyer but at that age that may not be a good idea at this time.

The father needs to call at least two attorneys and find out which ones have favor with the court by doing another internet search of Lawyer's offices in the county where the court is located.

Good luck.
View Quote

So, in Texas, you can just go to the courthouse and see the judge?  
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top